S2 M2: "Pursuit of Yesterday"

Started by Julia Rellek, August 04, 2017, 02:54:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ian Galloway

Quote from: Jada on August 24, 2017, 10:33:24 PM

Bridge

Jada pursed her lips, not as confident about this as Galloway seemed to be. Her firing routines were working, weakening the Jem'Hadar, but they couldn't get any closer and they weren't going to deliver neat knockout blows. 'The Tempest is still just a flying castle in high atmosphere,' she reminded. 'She can't descend any lower without being crushed by atmospheric pressure and being dragged down. We definitely can't land and apprehend the Jem'Hadar once they're grounded.' Jada addressed Captain Rellek directly, 'Captain, the fighters are damaged enough now. I recommend we send runabouts to finish them off. Security personnel on board can capture the Jem'Hadar once they're downed.'

Quote from: Klizh on August 24, 2017, 10:53:21 PM

"Capture?" K'lizh spoke up. "That might not be an option. I'm not advocating murder here, but Jem'hadar desire death in battle even more so than the Klingons. If reasoning them down is not an option... taking them alive would be a fate worse than death, from their perspective."

[Bridge]

As soon as Jada reported the fighters were disabled, Ian fired full forward ventral and aft dorsal thrusters to abruptly level the Tempest out and bring the big ship to a hover.

"If'n the atmosphere will crush us, it will crush those flyin' cockroaches ten times faster and a runabout faster than that. Given their damaged status and the fact they are continuin' ta dive, it sounds like they have already decided ta check out.

"And I agree with Mister Klizh, no Jem'hadar was ever taken prisoner durin' the Dominion War, which these boogits happen ta share a timeline. We could drop some probes, back out of this soup and see if they survived ta try sneak back out, but I'd scan fer debris below us as they are almost certainly already dead."

Jada

Bridge

Jada regretted her error, blaming language differences. 'I misspoke. A Galaxy class is built for space: zero-G, low pressure. She's not built for atmospheric pressure, it's enough to cause hull damage, and the gravity will pull our saucer off.' Jada was familiar with high-pressure, high-gravity environments, and was sure that Starfleet's favourite struts and top-heavy discs design was structurally ridiculous. 'Jem'Hadar fighters and Starfleet runabouts are built to land planetside in most environments.'

Academy Chief of the Boat  (Personnel File)

Ian Galloway

Quote from: Jada on August 25, 2017, 01:51:57 AM

Bridge

Jada regretted her error, blaming language differences. 'I misspoke. A Galaxy class is built for space: zero-G, low pressure. She's not built for atmospheric pressure, it's enough to cause hull damage, and the gravity will pull our saucer off.' Jada was familiar with high-pressure, high-gravity environments, and was sure that Starfleet's favourite struts and top-heavy discs design was structurally ridiculous. 'Jem'Hadar fighters and Starfleet runabouts are build to land planetside in most environments.'

[Bridge]

Ian listened to Jada and frowned at the comparisons she was making as he believed her logic was fundamentally flawed.

"I will grant that a Galaxy was not designed ta go atmospheric and certainly not on a regular basis. However, Starfleet has always built their ships stronger than they needed ta be and Mister Mortier has done a crackin' job of reinforcin' the structural integrity field. He may be a lot of things, but he knows his craft, so he's got the bulk of that reinforcement goin' ta the leadin' edges of the saucer, the struts fer the nacelles, and specifically the connection between the saucer and the engineerin' hull. Our girl may not be a spring chicken anymore, but she's nae about ta come apart any time soon.

"Now, if'n we were muckin' about inside the atmosphere of a gas giant, I would be in agreement with you, but we are not. I believe, that with our power generation capacity and excess ta needs reserve of power, the Tempest can endure quite a bit more than you think. One thing we will clearly not be able ta do is land and the hull isn't stressed fer that and we don't have landin' gear, but I can't imagine a reason we'd ever try ta do that."

Ian shrugged and looked at the captain as he continued.

"As always Ma'am, it's yer call. If the little boogits land, I can bring us in at a hover five hundred meters directly over that spot. I could go lower, but I figure you don't want ta be in the blast radius of our own torpedoes should you decide ta end them. Not sure that there is a proper 'Starfleet' answer this time as Dominion era Jem'hadar will nae surrender without an order from a Founder, and it seems we don't have one. My biggest concern is still the source of the chronitons that got these cantankerous boogits ta our time in the first place."

Julia Rellek

[Bridge]

Julia listened carefully as the officers spoke back and forth. "If we don't think we can land that's what the Jem'Hadaar will believe as well. Hold our position, Lieutenant." She turned around and looked to Chief Jada. "Sounds like landing may not be our best option. If we loaded photon torpedoes in a shuttlecraft, could you eliminate the targets? I dont want them to have time to regroup?" Julia asked.

"Somewhere, something incredible is waiting to be known." - Carl Sagan

Ian Galloway

Quote from: Julia Rellek on August 26, 2017, 02:11:09 PM

[Bridge]

Julia listened carefully as the officers spoke back and forth. "If we don't think we can land that's what the Jem'Hadaar will believe as well. Hold our position, Lieutenant." She turned around and looked to Chief Jada. "Sounds like landing may not be our best option. If we loaded photon torpedoes in a shuttlecraft, could you eliminate the targets? I dont want them to have time to regroup?" Julia asked.

[Bridge]

Ian thought for a moment, warring with himself over the potential risks to his people, but finally settled on that Hannah Kahn would never want to be the reason he hesitated and offered his suggestion with confidence.

"Ma'am, I fully believe we can take the Tempest down as far into the atmosphere as necessary ta bag these little boogits. However, I think it would be wise, since there are three of the little gits, that we launch the Tigris and the Euphrates ta spread out our sensor coverage and ta maximize the overlap of photon coverage. If'n you want a full fledged bombardment, then let's give a full fledged bombardment."

Jada

Bridge

They'd given their respective recommendations; it was up to the captain and first officer to come to a decision, of course. But Jada was a bit bemused by the change of plan. 'We can, captain, and deploying runabouts as Lieutenant Galloway says will make it easier.' she answered in agreement. She glanced down at the screen, at the Jem'Hadar ships mostly looking for places to hide. It seemed they'd given up trying to fight back. The Tempest had twenty years on these time-lost ships. 'But are we no longer trying to disable or capture them?' she queried, uncomfortable by the idea.

Julia Rellek

Quote from: Jada on August 28, 2017, 08:24:36 AM

Bridge

They'd given their respective recommendations; it was up to the captain and first officer to come to a decision, of course. But Jada was a bit bemused by the change of plan. 'We can, captain, and deploying runabouts as Lieutenant Galloway says will make it easier.' she answered in agreement. She glanced down at the screen, at the Jem'Hadar ships mostly looking for places to hide. It seemed they'd given up trying to fight back. The Tempest had twenty years on these time-lost ships. 'But are we no longer trying to disable or capture them?' she queried, uncomfortable by the idea.

[Bridge]

Julia looked to Jada, the look on her face spoke far more than the words she offered. "I would love to capture them. But do we honestly believe that they will make that a viable option. James, you'll lead the team. Take Jada and Solluk with you. Launch two runabouts and take them into the atmosphere. If there ships are damaged they will likely land. We can help support you from orbit."

=/\="Bridge to Solluk, please prepare the Tigris and Euphrates for launch."=/\= She ordered.

"Somewhere, something incredible is waiting to be known." - Carl Sagan

Jada

Bridge

'We can only try, captain.' Jada responded, glad Captain Rellek wished to make the attempt. Safe capture, and preserving life, was always preferable. She signalled for a replacement at the Tactical console Á¢â,¬"œ Mikaelson, if he was available and up to it Á¢â,¬"œ then fell in beside Hawk to head down to the hangar. Solluk would be piloting again, she realised fondly. Their duties had kept them apart recently, and thus stalled and going nowhere. It would be good to fly with him again.

Ian Galloway

Quote from: Julia Rellek on August 29, 2017, 09:03:31 PM

[Bridge]

Julia looked to Jada, the look on her face spoke far more than the words she offered. "I would love to capture them. But do we honestly believe that they will make that a viable option. James, you'll lead the team. Take Jada and Solluk with you. Launch two runabouts and take them into the atmosphere. If there ships are damaged they will likely land. We can help support you from orbit."

=/\="Bridge to Solluk, please prepare the Tigris and Euphrates for launch."=/\= She ordered.

[Bridge]

Ian sighed at what he hoped wasn't a bad premonition as the captain made her decision. Knowing his place was to now support the captain in anyway possible, he tapped out a quick text message to Solluk and Jefnarin.

=/\= "Stay on your guard as Jem'hadar do not surrender. It is only a matter of time before they betray you. And don't forget the little boogits can shroud, you may have no idea how many of them are actually around until they attack." =/\=

He looked wistfully off into the distance for a moment as he knew deep in his soul, this encounter was about to go very, very badly.

James H. Hawk

Quote from: Julia Rellek on August 29, 2017, 09:03:31 PM

[Bridge]

[Bridge]

"It may be difficult to capture them, but it is important for us to find out where they came from and what they're doing. If we're going to be out this far exploring the Gamma Quadrant we need to know if somone is gunning for us," James said, "Perhaps there is some other way to find out but one way or another we need to find out."

Once he'd given his opinion he exited the bridge with Jada and headed for the hanger. "Congratulations on the promotion, Jada," he said.

Jada

Turbolift

Riding down the turbolift with Hawk, Jada answered 'Thank you, sir.' unable to hide the pride in her voice. In a comparatively, and surprisingly, short time, she'd risen from being a new crewman to chief of security, following in the footsteps of Commander Hawk. 'I hope I've filled your big boots well.' she said, not sure she'd gotten the Earthian idiom quite right.

Solluk

[Main Shuttlebay]

When the order came down from the Captain, things began to move quickly in the shuttlebay.  The ground crews raced about, removing the physical tethers that had been attached to the runabouts to provide additional positional security.  It was a safety plan developed in the wake of the Vortex incident, to prevent similar problems in the future.  But the crew was even more efficient in removing the security devices than they'd been at installing them.  The tethers had been designed for quick release in the event of a launch order.

And now Solluk had a launch order.

Additional personnel were inbound right now to complete the runabouts' complement.  Then they'd be hunting Jem Hadar and unravelling the mystery of this encounter.

It was a terrifying and exhilerating prospect, and Solluk was somewhat reticent to admit that the exhileration was the greater of the sensations that flooded through him.  Perhaps he shouldn't be, though.  If a knife could be imbued with an intelligence and personality, it would surely feel most fulfilled when it was tasked to cut.

As a pilot sitting in a runabout cockpit, it was no different for him.

Nothing in life was better than having your purpose fulfilled.

My Primary Shadowfleet Character:

Ian Galloway

[Bridge]

Ian watched the status of the runabouts shift from amber to green and knew both were ready to launch. He still had grave misgivings about attempting to negotiate with Jem'hadar, but he did know some Vorta would negotiate, it would be a ploy to gain some deadly advantage, but they would on occasion talk.

Jem'hadar on the other hand, especially ones from the Dominion War era, had one code, and one code only. Victory is life. They'd already tried to ram the Tempest once, so that proved, to Ian at least, that negotiations weren't on the table.

It was times like this that Ian hated being tied to the bridge. He should be piloting one of the runabouts, but he knew his place was where he was. It didn't make being stuck here any less galling, but he knew his duty and knew being on the bridge was the right place for him to be.

As he waited for the captain to give the order to launch, he figured if he couldn't be there physically, he could give Solluk and Jefnarin some advice that could help them survive, so he quickly sent another message, this time subvocalized.

=/\= "Lads, I've sent you several atmospheric maneuvers that will be of assistance. First one is called a 'Thatch Weave'. It will allow the two of you ta cover each other's backs when the Jem'hadar attack. Next is summat called a 'Split-Ess' it's an escape maneuver if'n someone gets behind you. Last thing I can offer is ta make use of your maneuverability and size, you will have the advantage in turns, so stay on the horizontal if'n you can. Do not get into a climbin' or divin' match with them as they have the advantage there.

"Just remember a full spread of quantum torpedoes are waitin' the second you need assistance, and I'll be right behind them bringin' the Tempest in like a screamin' banshee, so regardless of how exposed you may feel. you are not alone!" =/\=

Jada

Main Shuttlebay

Jada and Hawk made a brief stopover at the Security department to collect a troop of crewman to serve as gunners and ground-fighters, and to the Armoury to pick up phaser rifles and other armaments. Although they were trying to apprehend and make peace with these time-lost Jem'Hadar, before they restarted the Dominion War, Jada had no illusions about it being easy or friendly, and she would be ready. In the turbolift, Jada slipped on her protective skullcap and slung her machete on her back. That was ready.

When they arrived in the main shuttlebay, Jada hurried over to the waiting runabouts, veering naturally toward the familiar sight of the Tigris. It was a ship and pilot she trusted and worked well with. There was a decal on the front depicting a scantily clad Orion woman swinging two swords and riding a leaping tiger. Embarrassed, Jada glanced back to Commander Hawk, claiming 'It wasn't me.'

Jada jumped inside the runabout, helmeted and armed with phaser and sword, with a devilish grin, much too like old holovids of raiding Orion pirates. 'All aboard! You'll want to buckle your seatbelts, this could get bumpy.' she called to the troop of Security crewmen behind her, then dropped down into the gunner's seat beside Solluk. She was glad and reassured to see him there. 'Ready to take me for a ride?'

Solluk

[USS Tigris]

Solluk swiveled in his chair and watched as a contingent, led by Jada, entered the Runabout.  She had a word with the passengers, and then came forward to greet him.  He smiled, having missed spending time with her during his time away.  Now they were together again, and the Tigris felt more like home than it had when he'd spent weeks living in it.

'Ready to take me for a ride?'

He chuckled softly, eschewing the self-consciousness he often felt when displaying emotions in front of others.  "Indeed.  And I have a full load primed for your pleasure."

He paused, dropping the jest to speak more earnestly, "It will be good to fly with you again, Jada.  The hardest part of being away at the Academy was suffering your absence."

With that admission, he swiveled back to face forward, his hands dancing over the console as he made the final preparations for their departure.

=/\= Tigris to the Bridge.  All systems Go for launch on your order. =/\=

Privately, he texted Ian on the bridge, --Thank you for the advice, Sir.  We will try to make good use of it.--

Often, Ian worried over his pilots like a concerned father watching his child go out on a first date.  Solluk had spent most of his career flying embarked craft, and knew the rudiments of aerial maneuvers and flight tactics well.  Ian was a well-respected master of atmospheric combat, unsurpassed on the Tempest, but things had long since passed the point where anything unknown about piloting could be quickly conveyed to Solluk via text message or subspace pep talk.

No matter.  Solluk's own father had been cold and distant... moreso since a brain injury had rendered his son incapable of fully controlling his emotions.

...Or perhaps Solluk was merely more sensitive to it, now.  Either way, it felt good to have someone looking out for him.  Someone who cared.   Solluk would always be grateful to Ian for doing everything in his power to help him succeed.

--It is good to know you have our backs-- he added in a final text transmission.

His hands poised over the controls, Solluk glanced to Jada at the tactical console.

"Disco today?" He asked, having done extensive research on the topic when setting up her Studio 54 Holoprogram.  "Or did you have something new planned for us?"

My Primary Shadowfleet Character:

🡱 🡳

RPG-D Sci-Fi Avatars RPG Initiative RPGfix RPG Initiative Fodlan Chronicles

Star Trek and all related marks, logos and characters are solely owned by CBS Studios Inc. This fan production is not endorsed by, sponsored by, nor affiliated with CBS, Paramount Pictures, or any other Star Trek franchise, and is a non-commercial fan-made film intended for recreational use. No commercial exhibition or distribution is permitted. No alleged independent rights will be asserted against CBS or Paramount Pictures.