Author Topic: A World Without Horizons  (Read 1468 times)

Offline Solluk

• Shadow Fleet Reserves
  • Legendary Member
  • Life is not endurable without a sense of humor.
  • Awarded to players who go above and beyond what is asked of them. Three year award Awarded by the FCO to the CO who has shown the best leadership. Awarded to players who guest star in another SIMM. Awarded to players in recognition of their recruitment efforts.
    • View Profile
    • Awards
A World Without Horizons
« on: July 31, 2017, 01:36:19 pm »
Solluk stood at attention, groping for the right way to 'sell' the written request that he had just handed to his superior.  A short time ago, the Tempest had intersected with the course of a small universe.  An entire universe, however small, had been in the hands of the Tempest and her crew.  Now Solluk's much smaller personal universe was in the hands of a single man.

He nodded to the PADD which was in Ian's hands, "It is a fortuitous confluence of classes.  Two extension courses, Security and Engineering.  Six days a week, eight hours per day for six weeks.  Four hours of classes each morning in Security, four hours each afternoon for Engineering.  One-hundred and forty-four hours of classroom and practical instruction in each field.  It could be a year or more before I have the chance to attend courses like these again."

He swallowed, somewhat nervous about what the Lieutenant would decide.  "Because it is being held at the Academy annex on Psi Epsilon III, and not on Earth, I'll be able to arrive on time if I leave within the next few days," Solluk explained, "and they have an opening... but I can only attend upon the recommendation of a superior officer."

« Last Edit: July 31, 2017, 04:45:15 pm by Solluk »
My Primary Shadowfleet Character:

Offline Ian Galloway

• Site Administrators
  • Amazing Member
  • Awarded to players on completion of 10 years service with the fleet. Awarded in January and July by the FCO to crew of the most organized SIMM. Awarded in January and July by the FCO to crew of the most active SIMM. Awarded to those who demonstrate an ability to convey the action of combat. Awarded to any player who has been with the Fleet 5 Years
    • View Profile
    • Awards
Re: A World Without Horizons
« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2017, 02:45:34 pm »
Solluk stood at attention, groping for the right way to 'sell' the written request that he had just handed to his superior.  A short time ago, the Tempest had intersected with the course of a small universe.  An entire universe, however small, had been in the hands of the Tempest and her crew.  Now Solluk's much smaller personal universe was in the hands of a single man.

He nodded to the PADD which was in Ian's hands, "It is a fortuitous confluence of classes.  Two extension courses, Security and Engineering.  Six days a week, eight hours per day for six weeks.  Four hours of classes each morning in Security, four hours each afternoon for Engineering.  One-hundred and forty-four hours of classroom and practical instruction in each field.  It could be a year or more before I have the chance to attend courses like these again."

He swallowed, somewhat nervous about what the Lieutenant would decide.  "Because it is being held at the Academy annex on Psi Epsilon III, and not on Earth, I'll be able to arrive on time if I leave within the next few days," Solluk explained, "and they have an opening... but I can only attend upon the recommendation of a superior officer."

Ian managed to keep his expression neutral as he knew a Vulcan would never understand a smile in this situation.

"Mister Solluk. Am I ta understand that you askin' me ta go without my best pilot fer six weeks?" He waited only a fraction of second because he knew that Solluk's comprehension of humor was very limited. "Honestly, I can't think of anyone more deservin' of advancin' his career in Starfleet than you. I've seen you perform with great gallantry and intrepidity when it counted most and I fully support your request even if it does mean I lose you from flight ops."

Ian then took the PADD and signed without hesitation.

"You will make a fine engineer Mister Solluk. My only problem is findin' someone else ta take the Tigris".

Offline Solluk

• Shadow Fleet Reserves
  • Legendary Member
  • Awarded to players who go above and beyond what is asked of them. Three year award Awarded by the FCO to the CO who has shown the best leadership. Awarded to players who guest star in another SIMM. Awarded to players in recognition of their recruitment efforts.
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #2 on: July 31, 2017, 04:48:09 pm »
"Mister Solluk. Am I ta understand that you askin' me ta go without my best pilot fer six weeks?"

It was hard to explain the sensation Solluk felt as he processed that statement.  It was a strange combination of pride and apprehension.  On the one hand, the Lieutenant had just given him a tremendous compliment.  On the other, he was implying that he might not be able to release Solluk for the length of time necessary to attend the extension courses.

""Honestly, I can't think of anyone more deservin' of advancin' his career in Starfleet than you. I've seen you perform with great gallantry and intrepidity when it counted most and I fully support your request even if it does mean I lose you from flight ops."  Ian then took the PADD and signed without further hesitation.

"You will make a fine engineer Mister Solluk.  My only problem is findin' someone else ta take the Tigris".

Solluk let out a breath that he hadn't realized he'd been holding.  With apprehension conquered, he could now embrace the dual sensation of pride and relief.

"Thank you, Sir," he was able to respond at last.  His face only gave the subtlest of cues about the tumult of emotion he'd just experienced.  "Though, I believe it will probably be some time before an opening surfaces in the relevant departments.  You may be stuck with me for some time." 

The fact that Ian had only mentioned Engineering, and not Security, suggested that he understood Solluk's motivations too well.  The man seemed to be a wizard with social deduction.  Solluk could only hope to obtain a tenth of the man's intuitive understanding of people one day.

If Solluk took a position in security, it would mean that his romance-

Hmm... what romance, exactly?

-any potential future romance with Jada would be out of the question.  The only way that such a relationship could possibly develop without posing a threat to unit cohesion and discipline was if they were in separate departments.

He was applying to take the Security class at the same as the Engineering course only because he had displayed a proficiency with Security and Tactical skills during his initial training on Mars, and the additional certifications in that field would look good on his resume.

Hence, Engineering.  Though probably not any time soon.   The Engineering department currently had a full roster of qualified personnel. 

But Ian had also mentioned the Tigris, bringing up the other delicate matter of this meeting.

"Speaking of the Tigris, Sir..." His forehead wrinkled slightly in a mildly worried expression.  "... there are only a limited number of embarked craft aboard with the speed and endurance necessary to get me to Psi Epsilon III in time for the start of classes."

Solluk had once heard the phrase, "Asking Dad for the codekeys to the family aircar," but had never fully grasped its meaning until now.

Offline Ian Galloway

• Site Administrators
  • Amazing Member
  • Awarded to players on completion of 10 years service with the fleet. Awarded in January and July by the FCO to crew of the most organized SIMM. Awarded in January and July by the FCO to crew of the most active SIMM. Awarded to those who demonstrate an ability to convey the action of combat. Awarded to any player who has been with the Fleet 5 Years
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #3 on: July 31, 2017, 05:38:20 pm »
"Mister Solluk. Am I ta understand that you askin' me ta go without my best pilot fer six weeks?"

It was hard to explain the sensation Solluk felt as he processed that statement.  It was a strange combination of pride and apprehension.  On the one hand, the Lieutenant had just given him a tremendous compliment.  On the other, he was implying that he might not be able to release Solluk for the length of time necessary to attend the extension courses.

""Honestly, I can't think of anyone more deservin' of advancin' his career in Starfleet than you. I've seen you perform with great gallantry and intrepidity when it counted most and I fully support your request even if it does mean I lose you from flight ops."  Ian then took the PADD and signed without further hesitation.

"You will make a fine engineer Mister Solluk.  My only problem is findin' someone else ta take the Tigris".

Solluk let out a breath that he hadn't realized he'd been holding.  With apprehension conquered, he could now embrace the dual sensation of pride and relief.

"Thank you, Sir," he was able to respond at last.  His face only gave the subtlest of cues about the tumult of emotion he'd just experienced.  "Though, I believe it will probably be some time before an opening surfaces in the relevant departments.  You may be stuck with me for some time." 

The fact that Ian had only mentioned Engineering, and not Security, suggested that he understood Solluk's motivations too well.  The man seemed to be a wizard with social deduction.  Solluk could only hope to obtain a tenth of the man's intuitive understanding of people one day.

If Solluk took a position in security, it would mean that his romance-

Hmm... what romance, exactly?

-any potential future romance with Jada would be out of the question.  The only way that such a relationship could possibly develop without posing a threat to unit cohesion and discipline was if they were in separate departments.

He was applying to take the Security class at the same as the Engineering course only because he had displayed a proficiency with Security and Tactical skills during his initial training on Mars, and the additional certifications in that field would look good on his resume.

Hence, Engineering.  Though probably not any time soon.   The Engineering department currently had a full roster of qualified personnel. 

But Ian had also mentioned the Tigris, bringing up the other delicate matter of this meeting.

"Speaking of the Tigris, Sir..." His forehead wrinkled slightly in a mildly worried expression.  "... there are only a limited number of embarked craft aboard with the speed and endurance necessary to get me to Psi Epsilon III in time for the start of classes."

Solluk had once heard the phrase, "Asking Dad for the codekeys to the family aircar," but had never fully grasped its meaning until now.

Ian's right eyebrow lifted and his lips twitched as he fought back the chuckle that wanted to be free.

"Well now this is a fine kettle of fish. Would you like ta borrow my aftershave as well?" He smiled broadly. "I guess if'n yer in fer a penny you are in fer a pound. I will have ta ask the captain fer a runabout ta be off ship fer that long. I will let you know what she says."

Ian looked at Solluk with admiration for his initiative.

"I envy you Lad. You have tremendous potential and this is just the first step of you makin' something more of what you already are. I think you have the potential ta make officer if you want ta be, but don't feel compelled ta do so, if bein' enlisted make you happy, then be enlisted. Any officer worth his weight kens that it's the enlisted that make Starfleet run."

Offline Solluk

• Shadow Fleet Reserves
  • Legendary Member
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #4 on: August 02, 2017, 03:42:33 am »
Solluk offered a small sheepish smile when Ian jokingly offered his aftershave.  He did feel like he was asking a lot.  But the Lieutenant seemed to be on-board with it.

"Thank you, Sir.  I..." He took a breath.  "Your support means a great deal to me.   I don't know what I might accomplish.  I only know I want to find out."

Somewhere along the line in life, he'd gotten the idea that I wasn't meant for anything meaningful.  That his life would be unspectacular.  Then, like a bolt from the blue, everything had changed.   Everything except for his attitude about himself.

It was time for that new attitude, and here in Starfleet, he'd encountered people who fostered his ability.  People who hadn't consigned him to the rubbish bin of mediocrity.

Taking the signed PADD, he stood at attention.  In a fortnight, he'd be hip deep in Academy learning.  Immersed in subject matter that he had only scratched the surface of in the past.  The thought should terrify him, but the rapid beating of his heart was not caused by fear.  Rather, he was thrilled by the prospect of discovery.

"If I ever do explore a commission, Sir, I have the benefit of good examples to follow."

Offline Ian Galloway

• Site Administrators
  • Amazing Member
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #5 on: August 02, 2017, 10:30:56 am »
Solluk offered a small sheepish smile when Ian jokingly offered his aftershave.  He did feel like he was asking a lot.  But the Lieutenant seemed to be on-board with it.

"Thank you, Sir.  I..." He took a breath.  "Your support means a great deal to me.   I don't know what I might accomplish.  I only know I want to find out."

Somewhere along the line in life, he'd gotten the idea that I wasn't meant for anything meaningful.  That his life would be unspectacular.  Then, like a bolt from the blue, everything had changed.   Everything except for his attitude about himself.

It was time for that new attitude, and here in Starfleet, he'd encountered people who fostered his ability.  People who hadn't consigned him to the rubbish bin of mediocrity.

Taking the signed PADD, he stood at attention.  In a fortnight, he'd be hip deep in Academy learning.  Immersed in subject matter that he had only scratched the surface of in the past.  The thought should terrify him, but the rapid beating of his heart was not caused by fear.  Rather, he was thrilled by the prospect of discovery.

"If I ever do explore a commission, Sir, I have the benefit of good examples to follow."

Ian smiled as he replied because, for this Vulcan, he knew it wouldn't put him off regarding emotions.

"That's all any of us can ever do Lad. We all have certain gifts and weaknesses, and feel the call that leads us ta wherever those traits take us. As fer bein' a good example, from you Mister Solluk, that is high praise indeed. If we are lucky as we stumble down the path that life takes us, sometimes we find someone that can guide us or catch should we fall.

"It wasn't that long ago that I was a cadet, so I understand how you feel. I had someone that guided me in my early days and if'n I've been able ta help you in any way like Commander Waring helped me, then I can consider myself a success."

RPG-D Sci-Fi Avatars RPG Initiative RPGfix RPG Initiative Fodlan Chronicles