Athena Mission 2.5: Endless Nights

Started by Constance Lafayette, June 30, 2017, 05:15:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Constance Lafayette

Captain's Log:

"The events on that mega-planet have left the crew somewhat overworked. The situation was rather stressful. We were able to remove the psychic parasites feeding on the population's mental energy and recover most of the crew of the Clarke but I would rather not subject them to a mission like that again. I have taken up a more simple assignment- hopefully one that will allow the crew of the Athena to get some rest and relaxation.

We have been assigned to observe the Zeta Zeta Tau supernova. The old star is predicted to produce a unique scientific opportunity for research- perfect for the Athena. We have an experimental extended sensor package installed, one that gives us twice the sensor range and fidelity of any Federation. I would be lying if I didn't want to keep it for myself after this mission was done- going back to our normal, though formidable, sensors after this would be akin to giving a blind man glasses and then taking them away after he's done reading a book.

We will be arriving at the site, an hour ahead of the scheduled start of the nova and will be maintaining a safe distance at the edge of the system.

Lafayette out."

[Athena- Bridge]

The small woman who sat in the Captain's chair wore her typically bland expression as she combed through her old PADD. She'd taken to carrying it around again for larger projects- her implants were not sufficient to allow her to look over large manuals and reports.

She was going over the latest version of starfleet supplemental dietary regulations, article B (extended service missions). She occasionally chuckled as if she'd just read an inside joke or grunted disapprovingly. Were there monkeys writing this? Because if there weren't- they probably should. It would be an improvement over what she assumed were the lifeforms of lower intelligence that wrote this mess. She'd have to send as strongly worded message and suggest some changes. This was a travesty. How could they expect a Bolian doctor who had never seen another species, let alone left Bolarus IX, calculate the nickel intake of humans? She wouldn't be able to sleep until she rebutted this...

The ship was still at cruising warp, heading towards their destination at the end of the Zeta Zeta Tau system. They should arrive in about 5-10 minutes, exactly on time.

Rear Admiral Constance Lafayette
Commanding Officer, USS Athena
Academy Command Officer Instructor

Susan Venator

Quote from: Constance Lafayette on June 30, 2017, 05:15:01 PM

Captain's Log:

"The events on that mega-planet have left the crew somewhat overworked. The situation was rather stressful. We were able to remove the psychic parasites feeding on the population's mental energy and recover most of the crew of the Clarke but I would rather not subject them to a mission like that again. I have taken up a more simple assignment- hopefully one that will allow the crew of the Athena to get some rest and relaxation.

We have been assigned to observe the Zeta Zeta Tau supernova. The old star is predicted to produce a unique scientific opportunity for research- perfect for the Athena. We have an experimental extended sensor package installed, one that gives us twice the sensor range and fidelity of any Federation. I would be lying if I didn't want to keep it for myself after this mission was done- going back to our normal, though formidable, sensors after this would be akin to giving a blind man glasses and then taking them away after he's done reading a book.

We will be arriving at the site, an hour ahead of the scheduled start of the nova and will be maintaining a safe distance at the edge of the system.

Lafayette out."

[Athena- Bridge]

The small woman who sat in the Captain's chair wore her typically bland expression as she combed through her old PADD. She'd taken to carrying it around again for larger projects- her implants were not sufficient to allow her to look over large manuals and reports.

She was going over the latest version of starfleet supplemental dietary regulations, article B (extended service missions). She occasionally chuckled as if she'd just read an inside joke or grunted disapprovingly. Were there monkeys writing this? Because if there weren't- they probably should. It would be an improvement over what she assumed were the lifeforms of lower intelligence that wrote this mess. She'd have to send as strongly worded message and suggest some changes. This was a travesty. How could they expect a Bolian doctor who had never seen another species, let alone left Bolarus IX, calculate the nickel intake of humans? She wouldn't be able to sleep until she rebutted this...

The ship was still at cruising warp, heading towards their destination at the end of the Zeta Zeta Tau system. They should arrive in about 5-10 minutes, exactly on time.

Bridge

Suzie was at Ops running, for the umteenth time, a sensor diagnostic of their new, if temporary, sensor package. Everything was working as it should, but she was continually amazed at what these new sensors could pick up. Even at Warp, they had two or three times the resolution of the Athena's regular sensors. And those sensors were some of the best she had ever had access to.

She was still suffering from the effects of the mega-city, but most of the residual pain had gone. Her emotions were still a bit erratic and she was having to meditate twice a day just to stop herself from completely losing control! She hoped the effects would soon fade as she found meditating a chore.

The latest scan finished and she pulled up the raw data, preferring to see it that way. She soon saw they were approaching their destination.

"We're approaching Zeta Zeta Tau Captain. We need drop out of Warp outside the system to prevent being caught in the phenomena." She reported.

Species: Betazoid
Bio: Susan Venator Bio Alt of Lizzie Vaughan

Constance Lafayette

[Athena- Bridge]

Suzie was clearly enjoying the new toy they had installed on the ship.

"Understood Ms. Venator. Helm- let's drop out a little outside so we can calibrate the new sensor sensitivity." She agreed.

She was a little jealous on a technological conesure level- she had been an ops officer for a long time and, truth be told, she was a little jealous. She'd have loved to play around on what amounted to the ansible of sensors...

Rear Admiral Constance Lafayette
Commanding Officer, USS Athena
Academy Command Officer Instructor

D'Vid

[Crew quarter but half quarter pass four]

The Engineer was on his back in his bed. It was a power nap time. His little small Welsh Terrier was laying on his feet. He was thankful for the pet. It was comforting that he had a small companion for company. It was the small friend who was helping him to recover from the mega planet. He was glad he was not court martial for misconduct.

Time is five O'Clock

Pushing his elbows down on the bed, he pushed his upper body up. Max, his dog got up and jumped off the bed. The tall Engineer pushed his legs up and over on the side of the bed. Max was showing his deep brown eyes and his little tail was wagging. The look of the pup was cute. If the dog could speak it would say please take me with you.

"Max, sorry boy you gotta stay here," he said. He had his uniform on when he had that nap. "Your mission is to guard the fort." Max tilted his head adding more a pathetic look. The small mutt gave a small sad sound which made. D'Vid bend down to his side kick beast. "I swear I will be back after my shift," he told the four legged creature. Should he get a second pet. Would his quarters start to be like Doctor Klabax on the Discovery?

"And Max you got that big bone to work on," he added a point with his noise to the corner of the room. A huge bone was indeed waiting for the mutt. "So get to work," he patted his mate and got up on his two feet.

Before he headed to Engineering, he had checked himself in the mirror. He was indeed good looking as usual. It was good for him to believe he have confidence to help himself in private.

Max jumped on his two hind dogs and tried to do a begging trick of don't go master. D'Vid chuckled at the puppy. The dog was adorable for words. Smiling as he walked out from the crew quarters and into the corridor. He had headed to Engineering.

Parent account is D'Vid to contact me. Thanks

Leonard T. Scott

{Bridge}

Leo had been called back to Earth for a family crisis that needed his attention. He hated that he had to leave the crew for that long, but such was life.

He was happy to be back in his regular position. Being on a starship was his first, best destiny. He had grown so much since he first arrived. He started to tail off in thought when he was jolted back to the situation by the airport admiral's voice.

Quote from: Constance Lafayette on June 30, 2017, 06:10:17 PM

[Athena- Bridge]

Suzie was clearly enjoying the new toy they had installed on the ship.

"Understood Ms. Venator. Helm- let's drop out a little outside so we can calibrate the new sensor sensitivity." She agreed.

She was a little jealous on a technological conesure level- she had been an ops officer for a long time and, truth be told, she was a little jealous. She'd have loved to play around on what amounted to the ansible of sensors...

Sure thing, ma'am, he replied as he began to slow the ship. We'll be arriving right at the edge of the system.

As he turned back to the viewscreen, he thought of Cat. He was hoping there would be time to spend together at some point.

Athena Second Officer. Feel free to message me if have any issues that need addressing.
Flight Control Instructor
"Keyboard. How quaint." - Captain Montgomery Scott

James Carter

[Athena - Personal Quarters]

XO's Log:

Days, nights, afternoon, they're all the same out here. No matter how many time you tell me that the current time is 1300, I don't know that I'll ever believe it. There's simply no great way to distinguish the time in space, no matter how you adjust the ships lighting, simulation is still just simulation. Or perhaps it's just me being cynical.
Carter looked around the room for a moment carefully observing each piece of memorabilia lining the walls. Pieces of his past with the Athena, a decommissioned rigged weapon from when they were boarded, his cutless from when he was a pirate, and more. It had been a hell of a ride, and he had to wonder what was coming next. Without a second thought he came to a stand left the room. It was time to find out what was next.

[Bridge]

As the doors of the turbolift hissed open James slowed stepped onto the bridge and walked to the Captain's side. "How are we looking cap?" He asked quietly.

Tavana

[Bridge]

Zettabytes of data streamed into, Tavana science console, millisecond at a time.  The new sensors took in everything, from size, power output, and frequency of the supernova.  To trillions upon trillions of atomic reaction taking place in just the north east quadrant.  Visually and scientifically it was a beautiful sight, and totally wasted on Tavana.  At least that how she felt.

She took the data, catalog, cross-referenced, and made notes on any peculiar reaction she noticed.  But her heart was in it.  She knew she didn't need her heart to preform her job.   But her warrior spirit screamed for a challenge.

"Sixteen percent of the supernova scanned and catalogued Admiral." Tavana said in a non committal voice.

"Yes I'm a doctor."

Katheryn Brighton

[Bridge]

Katheryn was stood at her station going over the latest background scans and reports from her team something she had insisted on as the ship approached their latest destination. She wasn't expecting any trouble once they arrived at Zeta Zeta Tau but experience had taught her to expect the unexpected and to be prepared for all outcomes.

As she looked over the data that was streaming in, she thought back to the last mission remembering how she had almost been sucked in by the atmosphere and beauty of the Mega City, then finding out about the creatures responsible and yet she couldn't bring herself to hate them. Despite everything it had still taken a little time to feel normal again and having Caleb there helped a lot with that especially when they spent as much time together as their shifts allowed.

She was also looking forward to expanding on her medical training with him after what had happened on the planet with Crewman Hadden getting injured and in return she would teach him more about Tactical. She loved how they were both keen on learning more about each other's roles and as the light caught her engagement ring making it sparkle, she wondered if he had received the gift that Wendy had kindly offered to give to him when he got to Sickbay. A smile appeared briefly at what it contained and couldn't wait for his reaction to her surprise. For now however she returned to work until she was able to speak to him.

Academy Commandant

Ethan Hadden

[Mess hall]
Ethan was bored.  While exploring this supernova thing was certainly interesting, for the security crewman, it lost interest rather fast as the scientific crews took over. It was his off- shift, and as of right now, there wasn't anything to be on the lookout for, so he wandered his way to the mess hall. The events of what happened on the megacity still stood out in his mind. Shuddering slightly he sat himself down at one of the stools.  Noticing the manager, he smiled. "Morning."

Ashlynn Ren Morgaine

[Athena - Mess Hall]

Ashlynn was humming to herself as she moved around behind the counter, lost in her own little world as she went about her job. Last night was blissfully dreamless for the first time in a while, and the extra sleep had left Ash with an extra spring in her step. She had been blowing through jobs all day, and now crouched behind the counter to take care of the bi-monthly inventory.

On her hands and knees, she crawled towards the back of the cabinet and grabbed an unlabeled box that had been shoved into the corner. Ash slowly turned the box over in her hands and paused in her humming as she shook the box. Something was rattling around inside, but the box was sealed completely shut.

The mess hall manager pushed herself to her feet once more and turned to find something to open the strange container. It was then that someone behind her spoke.

Quote from: Ethan Hadden on July 01, 2017, 10:33:44 AM

[Mess hall]
Ethan was bored.  While exploring this supernova thing was certainly interesting, for the security crewman, it lost interest rather fast as the scientific crews took over. It was his off- shift, and as of right now, there wasn't anything to be on the lookout for, so he wandered his way to the mess hall. The events of what happened on the megacity still stood out in his mind. Shuddering slightly he sat himself down at one of the stools.  Noticing the manager, he smiled. "Morning."

She turned, seeing the security crewman sitting behind her, and returned his smile. "Hello! Is it still morning? I always lose track." She set the box down, still untouched, and wiped her hands off on her apron as she looked the young man over. "... I think I recognize you from the last away mission, but we've not been introduced - at least, I think that was you. That was you, right? I'm not mixing people up?" She turned her head to the side slightly as she inspected him once more, but shook it and pressed on before she could embarrass herself further. "I'm Ashlynn Ren Morgaine, but most people just call me Ash."

Catrin Maddux

Quote from: Leonard T. Scott on July 01, 2017, 01:15:57 AM

{Bridge}

Sure thing, ma'am, he replied as he began to slow the ship. We'll be arriving right at the edge of the system.

As he turned back to the viewscreen, he thought of Cat. He was hoping there would be time to spend together at some point.

[Bridge]

Cat's sudden appearance on the bridge drew little to no notice. The CMO was a frequent visitor, especially when a certain Lieutenant was at the helm. She quietly strode past a preoccupied Captain Lafayette. She smiled to herself, she could sense the woman's enthusiasm for whatever dry regulatory article she held. To be sure it would be the driest regulatory material available, but that suited the Captain. Coming to a stop behind the man seated at the helm, she slid her arms around his shoulders in a friendly hug.

"Guess who?" She asked, a teasing lilt to her voice. "Welcome home, Flyboy. We missed you around here. And by we, I mean mostly me."

Tell me your troubles and doubts. Giving me everything inside and out...

D'Vid

[engineering]

D'Vid stroll in the Engineering room to greet the staff. Everyone was happy as everything was sailing smooth. He gone to the warp drive station. Well, that was the main console of the drive itself. Touching the alternate dynamic buttons he got all green buttons. He pressed the Zeta calisthenics for a pattern run to the follow thru cord alias fusion cord run. Everything seem to be proper and good.

"Hey you heard about the rumor about the Captain throwing a party?" lieutenant Jackson called toward D'Vid.

The El-Aurian turned to look at the other. "Are you testing me there? You know I don't gossip but I heard you walked out on the main corridor with no clothes on!" He joked back.

"Oh I would enjoyed that!" The other Engineer said.

"Sure you would, mind you if that gossip goes about. Remember that is how gossip goes around you saying it," he chuckled.

Parent account is D'Vid to contact me. Thanks

Leonard T. Scott

Quote from: Catrin Maddux on July 02, 2017, 01:58:18 PM

[Bridge]

Cat's sudden appearance on the bridge drew little to no notice. The CMO was a frequent visitor, especially when a certain Lieutenant was at the helm. She quietly strode past a preoccupied Captain Lafayette. She smiled to herself, she could sense the woman's enthusiasm for whatever dry regulatory article she held. To be sure it would be the driest regulatory material available, but that suited the Captain. Coming to a stop behind the man seated at the helm, she slid her arms around his shoulders in a friendly hug.

"Guess who?" She asked, a teasing lilt to her voice. "Welcome home, Flyboy. We missed you around here. And by we, I mean mostly me."

{Bridge}

"Hey, babes," Leo replied. "It's good to be back. I've missed everyone, namely you."

He smiled. It was nice hearing her voice again. He turned his head around to look at her.

She looked more stunning than ever. While he was away, he found his great-grandmother's wedding ring. It was a simple band with a few small diamonds. He figured she'd be asking him sooner or later when he was going to propose. He wanted to be prepared.

He also picked up an ornate little necklace. The jewel looked like a galaxy. He thought it was perfect the moment he saw it. He reached into his pocket and pulled it out.

"By the way, I picked you up a little something," he said as he presented it to her.

Athena Second Officer. Feel free to message me if have any issues that need addressing.
Flight Control Instructor
"Keyboard. How quaint." - Captain Montgomery Scott

Ethan Hadden

Quote from: Ashlynn Ren Morgaine on July 01, 2017, 12:32:19 PM

[Athena - Mess Hall]

Ashlynn was humming to herself as she moved around behind the counter, lost in her own little world as she went about her job. Last night was blissfully dreamless for the first time in a while, and the extra sleep had left Ash with an extra spring in her step. She had been blowing through jobs all day, and now crouched behind the counter to take care of the bi-monthly inventory.

On her hands and knees, she crawled towards the back of the cabinet and grabbed an unlabeled box that had been shoved into the corner. Ash slowly turned the box over in her hands and paused in her humming as she shook the box. Something was rattling around inside, but the box was sealed completely shut.

The mess hall manager pushed herself to her feet once more and turned to find something to open the strange container. It was then that someone behind her spoke.

She turned, seeing the security crewman sitting behind her, and returned his smile. "Hello! Is it still morning? I always lose track." She set the box down, still untouched, and wiped her hands off on her apron as she looked the young man over. "... I think I recognize you from the last away mission, but we've not been introduced - at least, I think that was you. That was you, right? I'm not mixing people up?" She turned her head to the side slightly as she inspected him once more, but shook it and pressed on before she could embarrass herself further. "I'm Ashlynn Ren Morgaine, but most people just call me Ash."

[Mess hall ]

Ethan nodded . "Yup. I was there on that last away mission. You were there too , if I recall . Though it was kinda hard to tell after I got my face almost smack-dab in giant simian BO.  I'm Ethan by the way. Pleased to meet you, Ash" He said, looking at her with an awkward grin.  He was not usually the best with meting people, but he tried not to make that too evident.  "So, whatcha cooking today?" He asked, noticing the smells of cooking food already wafting through the kitchen.

Ashlynn Ren Morgaine

Quote from: Ethan Hadden on July 02, 2017, 04:11:37 PM

[Mess hall ]

Ethan nodded . "Yup. I was there on that last away mission. You were there too , if I recall . Though it was kinda hard to tell after I got my face almost smack-dab in giant simian BO.  I'm Ethan by the way. Pleased to meet you, Ash" He said, looking at her with an awkward grin.  He was not usually the best with meting people, but he tried not to make that too evident.  "So, whatcha cooking today?" He asked, noticing the smells of cooking food already wafting through the kitchen.

[Mess Hall]

Ash jokingly grimaced as Ethan recounted his start to the last mission. "Sounds like you had as good a time as I did in that crowd," she smirked, unconsciously bringing up a hand to rub her ribs. They had bruised up something awful after getting trampled in the stampede (something probably got fractured if she was being honest), but she hadn't bothered going to sickbay. It wasn't terrible, so she had just been taking things easy in the meantime as she finished healing up.

"But the pleasure is all mine, Ethan." She grinned and gestured towards the kitchen before continuing. "And today is nothing special: shepherd's pie and corn. Easy comfort foods for a relaxed day. Speaking of, that should be ready just about now. Wanna give me a hand?" Ash didn't wait around for his answer as she started towards the kitchen. Whether he helped or not, she could handle it, but it needed to come out now before it burned.

🡱 🡳

RPG-D Sci-Fi Avatars RPG Initiative RPGfix RPG Initiative Fodlan Chronicles

Star Trek and all related marks, logos and characters are solely owned by CBS Studios Inc. This fan production is not endorsed by, sponsored by, nor affiliated with CBS, Paramount Pictures, or any other Star Trek franchise, and is a non-commercial fan-made film intended for recreational use. No commercial exhibition or distribution is permitted. No alleged independent rights will be asserted against CBS or Paramount Pictures.