Author Topic: S1E3 United We Stand  (Read 35572 times)

Offline Martin Jackson

• Shadow Fleet Reserves
  • Awarded to any player who stuck with the site during the June 2017 Site Move Awarded to players who have been with the fleet for six months.
    • View Profile
    • Awards
Re: S1E3 United We Stand
« Reply #60 on: July 10, 2017, 09:09:06 pm »
[Shuttlebay]
"Keep your ears open crewman. Cardassians are a sneaky bunch, be prepared to use that phaser as they might not what us to be able to report on what they are realy doing out here."

Once the McNair was ready, Lek activated the comm.

=/\= "Shuttlecraft McNair ready for departure." =/\=

[Shuttlecraft McNair]

Martin followed Lek into the shuttlecraft and took his place at the seat next to him.  He had never interacted with many Ferengi, but the fact of Lek's species didn't mean as much to him as it might have to most humans.  The same went with the Cardassians, and Martin shrugged at Lek's comment.

"I hope it won't come to that.  Maybe they just need help," he responded hopefully as he strapped himself in and recalled the controls.  He had been trained for this, thankfully, and though Lek would be the one doing the flying he had to be prepared to do his part. 
« Last Edit: July 10, 2017, 09:10:32 pm by Martin Jackson »

Offline Lek

• Approved Applicants
  • Veteran Member
  • Awarded in January and July by the FCO to crew of the most friendly SIMM. Awarded to any player who has been with the Fleet 5 Years Awarded to the winner of the bi-annual crew choice poll. Awarded to players who guest star in another SIMM. Awarded to players who continue to contribute to the running of the SIMM.
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #61 on: July 10, 2017, 10:00:31 pm »

[Shuttlecraft McNair]

Martin followed Lek into the shuttlecraft and took his place at the seat next to him.  He had never interacted with many Ferengi, but the fact of Lek's species didn't mean as much to him as it might have to most humans.  The same went with the Cardassians, and Martin shrugged at Lek's comment.

"I hope it won't come to that.  Maybe they just need help," he responded hopefully as he strapped himself in and recalled the controls.  He had been trained for this, thankfully, and though Lek would be the one doing the flying he had to be prepared to do his part.

[Shuttlecraft McNair]

Lek glanced at Martin and wasn't sure if he was serious or not.

"I will direct you to the 48th rule of acquisition. 'The bigger the smile, the sharper the knife.' Assume the worse until proven wrong. You'll live longer. The Cardassians have been lots of things, but explorers is not one of them. This 'science vessel' is not what it seems and you can bet your last strip of latinum that it will be worse than expected."

Alt of Ian Galloway

Offline Martin Jackson

• Shadow Fleet Reserves
  • Awarded to any player who stuck with the site during the June 2017 Site Move Awarded to players who have been with the fleet for six months.
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #62 on: July 10, 2017, 11:49:37 pm »
[Shuttlecraft McNair]

Lek glanced at Martin and wasn't sure if he was serious or not.

"I will direct you to the 48th rule of acquisition. 'The bigger the smile, the sharper the knife.' Assume the worse until proven wrong. You'll live longer. The Cardassians have been lots of things, but explorers is not one of them. This 'science vessel' is not what it seems and you can bet your last strip of latinum that it will be worse than expected."

[Shuttlecraft McNair]

Martin rarely got the chance to be witty, so he chanced it seeing the opportunity.  "If it helps," he answered, a smile creeping involuntarily to his features, "Cardassians aren't known for smiling.  And if we assume that it's not what it seems, I think 'science vessel' is about the only option left!"

Offline Lek

• Approved Applicants
  • Veteran Member
  • Awarded in January and July by the FCO to crew of the most friendly SIMM. Awarded to any player who has been with the Fleet 5 Years Awarded to the winner of the bi-annual crew choice poll. Awarded to players who guest star in another SIMM. Awarded to players who continue to contribute to the running of the SIMM.
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #63 on: July 11, 2017, 09:43:48 am »
[Shuttlecraft McNair]

Lek rolled his eyes and choked back an unkind remark as he took a breath to think of something more... instructive to say.

"Boundless optimism is a defining trait of Houmons. In the face of undeniable evidence of the unforgiving nature of the galaxy, you remain optimistic about the universe. It is your greatest asset, but it is also your greatest weakness.

"As I cannot change your basic nature, any more than a Trill can change his or her spots, on this mission, we will follow the 15th rule of acquisition, 'dead men make no deals'."

Lek hoped he wasn't being too harsh, but Martin's trust was a liability when dealing with Cardassians and he was going to have to develop tougher lobes if he was going to make it in Starfleet. 
Alt of Ian Galloway

Offline LK Reede

• Shadow Fleet Reserves
  • Competent Member
  • I live on a starship
  • Awarded to Players who have been with the Fleet for one year. Awarded to those who demonstrate great knowledge of their profession. Awarded to players who successfully complete the EPC or ATC. Awarded to any player who stuck with the site during the June 2017 Site Move Awarded to players who have been with the fleet for six months.
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #64 on: July 11, 2017, 06:37:54 pm »
Shuttlebay

Lizzie nodded, slightly disappointed that she was taking a Type 8 rather than a Type 9 as she preferred the handling of the more nimble Type 9's. Still she expected Jyur had his reasons.

"Aye Commander." She replied before gesturing to Reede and making her way over the Resnik.

She boarded the shuttle and, securing her medical supplies in the aft compartment, she sat in the pilot's chair and began the power-up sequence. She soon confirmed that the co-ordinates had been received and sealed the rear hatch before opening a channel.

=/\=Vaughan to Jyur. We're all ready to depart Commander. Should we wait and travel together or should I depart now as my shuttle cannot keep up with yours?=/\

LK Hadn't said anything, simply listening to the XO lay out the mission. When she and the CMO were assigned a type 8 shuttle, the Resnik, she had no objections but the look on the doctor's face showed a slight distaste. She'd find out about that when they entered the craft.

[Shuttlecraft Resnik]

"Place is kinda small, huh?" Lt. Reede commented, looking around then putting her med kit in the aft compartment. After Vaughn took the pilot's chair, LK slid into the co-pilot's. Her fingers skated over the console checking the specs. "We do have type IV phaser emitters. Someone was doing their homework. The deflector shields are at full power."

LK settled back into the chair, it's style fitting her comfortably. "Well, doctor, I've never heard of a Cardassian science vessel, have you?"

Offline Lizzie Vaughan

• Veteran Member
  • "First Do no harm" - Hipocrates
  • Three year award Awarded to the player whom the CO feels is worthy of recognition. Awarded in January and July by the FCO to crew of the most organized SIMM. Awarded to those who demonstrate great knowledge of their profession. Awarded to any player who writes the Post of the Month.
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #65 on: July 11, 2017, 08:05:58 pm »
LK Hadn't said anything, simply listening to the XO lay out the mission. When she and the CMO were assigned a type 8 shuttle, the Resnik, she had no objections but the look on the doctor's face showed a slight distaste. She'd find out about that when they entered the craft.

[Shuttlecraft Resnik]

"Place is kinda small, huh?" Lt. Reede commented, looking around then putting her med kit in the aft compartment. After Vaughn took the pilot's chair, LK slid into the co-pilot's. Her fingers skated over the console checking the specs. "We do have type IV phaser emitters. Someone was doing their homework. The deflector shields are at full power."

LK settled back into the chair, it's style fitting her comfortably. "Well, doctor, I've never heard of a Cardassian science vessel, have you?"

Shuttlecraft Resnik

While they waited for clearance to depart, Lizzie looked at Reede and listened to what she said before giving a short laugh.

"The words Cardassian and Science Vessel do not belong in the same sentence! While it might claim to be one, it is more likely to be a intelligence vessel of some sort. I'm not sure what we will find there, but it is unlikely that we have been given the full story. I just hope we are prepared enough for what might happen." She said in a serious tone, keeping her eyes on Reede.
« Last Edit: July 11, 2017, 09:55:53 pm by Lizzie Vaughan »

Bio: Lizzie Vaughan Bio
Academy Medical Instructor
In Memorium.

Offline Martin Jackson

• Shadow Fleet Reserves
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #66 on: July 11, 2017, 08:47:18 pm »
[Shuttlecraft McNair]

Lek rolled his eyes and choked back an unkind remark as he took a breath to think of something more... instructive to say.

"Boundless optimism is a defining trait of Houmons. In the face of undeniable evidence of the unforgiving nature of the galaxy, you remain optimistic about the universe. It is your greatest asset, but it is also your greatest weakness.

"As I cannot change your basic nature, any more than a Trill can change his or her spots, on this mission, we will follow the 15th rule of acquisition, 'dead men make no deals'."

[Shuttlecraft]

Sensing the seriousness in Lek's voice and face, Martin nodded.  "I know that we're going to have to be careful.  It's probably a trap.  Actually, I think it was a good idea to send the shuttles to the Cardassian ship, rather than risk the Challenger," he answered, trying to reassure Lek that he was under no illusions about the situation.

He didn't know much about the Ferengi, but he knew through his grandfather that they were a group that, as a rule, put a lot of emphasis on business.  So, he added, "But, like you said, optimism is an asset as well as a weakness.  And like any asset, it's something you should be ready to use if the deal calls for it.  Maybe this won't call for it, but it's good to have it within arm's reach, just in case.  I just want to keep as flexible as possible, that's all."  Martin wasn't exactly sure if he made his point of view clear, and wasn't entirely clear on what his point of view was. 

Offline Lek

• Approved Applicants
  • Veteran Member
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #67 on: July 11, 2017, 10:04:47 pm »
[Shuttlecraft]

Sensing the seriousness in Lek's voice and face, Martin nodded.  "I know that we're going to have to be careful.  It's probably a trap.  Actually, I think it was a good idea to send the shuttles to the Cardassian ship, rather than risk the Challenger," he answered, trying to reassure Lek that he was under no illusions about the situation.

He didn't know much about the Ferengi, but he knew through his grandfather that they were a group that, as a rule, put a lot of emphasis on business.  So, he added, "But, like you said, optimism is an asset as well as a weakness.  And like any asset, it's something you should be ready to use if the deal calls for it.  Maybe this won't call for it, but it's good to have it within arm's reach, just in case.  I just want to keep as flexible as possible, that's all."  Martin wasn't exactly sure if he made his point of view clear, and wasn't entirely clear on what his point of view was.

[Shuttlecraft McNair]

Lek nodded as Martin spoke, seeing he was at least thinking things through.

"I'm glad to see you do understand how serious to take this mission. I completely agree that the captain must protect the ship. I won't call us expendable, but we are not the most valuable asset in this deal. Just remember that a good businessman can hear profit on the wind. If your optimism will seal the deal, then there is nothing wrong with exploiting that. I just wish they would give the order for us to launch."
Alt of Ian Galloway

Offline Kirok

• Shadow Fleet Reserves
  • Triumphant Member
  • Awarded in January 2017 to all active members. Awarded in January and July to the most diplomatic player. Awarded to any player who writes the Post of the Month. Awarded every January by the FCO. Awarded to the winner of the bi-annual crew choice poll.
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #68 on: July 12, 2017, 07:40:37 am »
[Bridge]

Zex looked down at her duty station again.  The vessels has not launched yet.  So she stuck with the original order - hold speed until they departed.

Still sitting at Flight Control felt much different than Sec/Tac.  At least with the new assignment she would not need to break one of her oaths.  That was a blessing.

Species:  Betazoid/Vulcan.
Being kind to others costs nothing & builds a stronger community.

Offline Jettis Jyur

• Approved Applicants
  • Veteran Member
  • Just this once, Rose, Everybody lives!
  • Awarded in January and July by the FCO to crew of the most organized SIMM. Awarded to those who demonstrate great knowledge of their profession. Awarded in January and July to the two players who are the best team. Awarded to members who have contributed to the site by creating missions within the past 6 months. Awarded to any player who has been with the Fleet 5 Years
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #69 on: July 12, 2017, 12:53:12 pm »
=/\=Vaughan to Jyur. We're all ready to depart Commander. Should we wait and travel together or should I depart now as my shuttle cannot keep up with yours?=/\=
[Shuttlebay]

Lek's eyes widened as he heard the First Officer assign him to be the lead shuttle and beamed with pride as he responded.

"Aye Sir! Thank you for the opportunity Sir!"

Lek motioned to the crewman and boarded the type-9 shuttle and began the start up sequence. As the shuttle warmed up, he took several deep breaths as he tried not to think about the highly suspicious concept of a 'Cardassian Science Vessel'.

""The Blessed Exchequer only knows what they are up to, but I now see why we are armed."

Lek spoke to crewman Martin in what he hoped was a steady voice.

"Keep your ears open crewman. Cardassians are a sneaky bunch, be prepared to use that phaser as they might not what us to be able to report on what they are realy doing out here."

Once the McNair was ready, Lek activated the comm.

=/\= "Shuttlecraft McNair ready for departure." =/\=

[Shuttlebay]

Jettis took a moment to reply, checking that everything was in the clear for him to say yes. As soon as he had the confirmation, he tapped is badge. =/\="You're clear for takeoff- go ahead and get a head start."=/\=

He gathered his things as he waited for Lek and Jackson to report in as well. Once he had checked that the medical team was a reasonable distance away, he confirmed them to leave as well. =/\="McNair clear for takeoff,"=/\= he relayed, soon after moving to board his own shuttle and be on his way. Stepping aboard, he tapped his comm-badge, to report to the Bridge.
=/\="Two of three shuttles en-route to the distress call - last one preparing to leave now."=/\=

Offline Lek

• Approved Applicants
  • Veteran Member
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #70 on: July 12, 2017, 03:03:27 pm »
[Shuttlebay]

Jettis took a moment to reply, checking that everything was in the clear for him to say yes. As soon as he had the confirmation, he tapped is badge. =/\="You're clear for takeoff- go ahead and get a head start."=/\=

He gathered his things as he waited for Lek and Jackson to report in as well. Once he had checked that the medical team was a reasonable distance away, he confirmed them to leave as well. =/\="McNair clear for takeoff,"=/\= he relayed, soon after moving to board his own shuttle and be on his way. Stepping aboard, he tapped his comm-badge, to report to the Bridge.
=/\="Two of three shuttles en-route to the distress call - last one preparing to leave now."=/\=

[Shuttlecraft McNair]

Lek let out a breath he didn't know he was holding, grateful to finally be moving.

=/\= "McNair acknowledges." =/\=

The nimble Type 9 shuttle lifted fairly smoothly despite Lek only being an average pilot. Once clear of the Challenger, he accelerated to one half impulse on the bearing of the Cardassian ship.

"Okay Crewman, on your toes from now on. We'll try optimism if warranted, but we will go in with the assumption that they are up to something other than science."

Lek tracked the other shuttles as they launched and wondered just how much danger they were in, especially since they would soon be on their own when the Challenger departed for the other ship in distress.
Alt of Ian Galloway

Offline Lizzie Vaughan

• Veteran Member
  • "First Do no harm" - Hipocrates
  • Three year award Awarded to the player whom the CO feels is worthy of recognition. Awarded in January and July by the FCO to crew of the most organized SIMM. Awarded to those who demonstrate great knowledge of their profession. Awarded to any player who writes the Post of the Month.
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #71 on: July 12, 2017, 04:11:33 pm »
[Shuttlebay]

Shuttlecraft Resnik

Lizzie received the OK from Jyur and nodded before replying.

=/\=Vaughan to Jyur. Departing now. Out.=/\=

She then closed the channel and opened up another.

=/\=Shuttlecraft Resnik to Flight Ops. Request permission to depart.=/\=

=/\=Flight Ops to Resnik. The board is green, you are clear for departure. Good luck and God Speed!=/\=

=/\=Received and understood. Resnik out!=/\=

Lizzie closed the channel before engaging the impulse engines. Using short bursts of power at the lowest setting, the Type 8 lifted from the pad and headed to the shuttlebay doors. Increasing the speed to 1/4 impulse, Lizzie's expert fingers guided the shuttle through the doors and out past the nacelles. Once the shuttle had cleared the ship, Lizzie disengaged the Impulse drive and after activating the pre-programmed course, engaged the Warp drive. Soon the shuttle was on it's way to the so called, Science Vessel!

Lizzie turned in her seat and looked at Reede.

"While we cannot dismiss what we have been told, it would be foolish for us not to have at least a plan or two in place to deal with whatever surprises we might face. We should both get our thinking caps on and use the time we have ti brainstorm. So any ideas?" She asked.

Bio: Lizzie Vaughan Bio
Academy Medical Instructor
In Memorium.

Offline LK Reede

• Shadow Fleet Reserves
  • Competent Member
  • I live on a starship
  • Awarded to Players who have been with the Fleet for one year. Awarded to those who demonstrate great knowledge of their profession. Awarded to players who successfully complete the EPC or ATC. Awarded to any player who stuck with the site during the June 2017 Site Move Awarded to players who have been with the fleet for six months.
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #72 on: July 12, 2017, 05:16:31 pm »
Shuttlecraft Resnik

Lizzie received the OK from Jyur and nodded before replying.

=/\=Vaughan to Jyur. Departing now. Out.=/\=

She then closed the channel and opened up another.

=/\=Shuttlecraft Resnik to Flight Ops. Request permission to depart.=/\=

=/\=Flight Ops to Resnik. The board is green, you are clear for departure. Good luck and God Speed!=/\=

=/\=Received and understood. Resnik out!=/\=

Lizzie closed the channel before engaging the impulse engines. Using short bursts of power at the lowest setting, the Type 8 lifted from the pad and headed to the shuttlebay doors. Increasing the speed to 1/4 impulse, Lizzie's expert fingers guided the shuttle through the doors and out past the nacelles. Once the shuttle had cleared the ship, Lizzie disengaged the Impulse drive and after activating the pre-programmed course, engaged the Warp drive. Soon the shuttle was on it's way to the so called, Science Vessel!

Lizzie turned in her seat and looked at Reede.

"While we cannot dismiss what we have been told, it would be foolish for us not to have at least a plan or two in place to deal with whatever surprises we might face. We should both get our thinking caps on and use the time we have ti brainstorm. So any ideas?" She asked.

LK shifted in her seat turning to face Vaughn. She gave careful thought to her next words. Story, really.

"My parents took a trip to Earth once. Mom brought back some blackberry trees...bushes. They have these thorns on them that stick ya if ya even get close to 'em. Well, if you're real careful, you can pick the berries without getting too scratched up." Turning back to gaze out the shuttle's view port, LK continued, "I figure Cardassians are like that. Watch for a barb or two in their speech and we're likely to figure out what they're really doing. I don't think it's science related, either."

Squinting at the console in front of her, checking for anomalies, LK spoke again. "The tips of the bush had soft thorns and was pretty safe to grab to hold the vines out of the way. We need to work our way into their 'medical database'" LK used her fingers to trace air quotes in the air. "As far in as we can. Past where they want us to be."

Reede nodded as if to agree with herself. "What do you think?" she finally asked.

Offline Sevoc

• Shadow Fleet Reserves
  • Experienced Member
  • That is most illogical...
  • Awarded to any player who stuck with the site during the June 2017 Site Move Awarded to players who have been with the fleet for six months. Awarded in January 2017 to all active members. Awarded in January and July by the FCO to crew of the most organized SIMM. Awarded to the new arrival who displays the most effort and ability.
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #73 on: July 12, 2017, 08:27:47 pm »
(Shuttlecraft McNair)

Sevoc had found his seat and was prepared for the trip. He had downloaded the schematics of all known Cardassian science vessels. If there was anything out of the ordinary, he would know it.

The levels of distrust had waxed and waned over the years after The Dominion War, and were much more in line with what it was around the time of the Enterprise-D.

With all the chatter from his crewmates, he anticipated a rather long flight there, even though it was a short distance relatively speaking.

So that would make me a blue-blooded hobgoblin?
Alt for Leo

Offline Martin Jackson

• Shadow Fleet Reserves
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #74 on: July 12, 2017, 11:38:17 pm »
[Shuttlecraft McNair]

Martin nodded to Lek.  "Understood, sir," he answered.  Then, now apart from the Challenger, he took an opportunity to look around the shuttle.  Looking behind him, he saw someone he had seen around on the ship, but hadn't yet interacted with directly.  "Hey," he said, mildly startled.  He raised a hand in a half-wave, not wanting to bother the blue man by offering him his hand.  He looked rather straight-laced.  "Martin, Operations crewman," he said in way of introduction.

RPG-D Sci-Fi Avatars RPG Initiative RPGfix RPG Initiative Fodlan Chronicles