S1E3 United We Stand

Started by Dylan Torngate, June 30, 2017, 01:32:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Leela Kaz

Quote from: Dylan Torngate on July 03, 2017, 11:07:58 PM

[Bridge]

Dylan grinned at the fire being exchanged between the two officers. It never hurt to have some friendly banter- though he wasn't sure if the hybrid Andorvulcan understood the concept. Now, if you ever got a Vulcan to crack? That was the stuff of legends.

"Ahh don't worry about efficiency," he told the man, as he paced the bridge again. "There's only so many times one can run the same sensor scans again- it gets old after a while. Nothing's changed in this little area of the galaxy for years."

He turned to the Trill, and dared to ask the question...s. Multiple questions.

"Juval, how many host ago was that? And dare I ask what you got them drunk on? Seems you have the floor, Lieutenant."

He heard the shade being thrown, and smiled to himself. "Now now, let's not get hostile here. All in good fun."

[Bridge]

Leela chuckled as the Captain asked his questions and gave her the floor. She truned slightly and was sitting sideways in her chair looking towards the center of the bridge. "Juval was my last host... so number seven for the Kaz symbiont. He was a notoriously drunk in his younger days. He was actually CO of an Excelsior class vessel. It wasn't until the later part of his life, on Vulcan, he began to calm down and really examine life." She looked directly to the Vulcan hybrid in an effort to show she did have some understanding of his culture.

"But I digress. It was as Captain of the Excelsior that he was on a diplomatic mission. We had a contingency of around 12 Andorians on the ship and I, umm i mean Juval, was still a young captain. Actually it was one of his first missions. We were in a recreational area and Juval was drunk. There is no real surprise there, I'm not entirely sure how he actually got any work done. Well a disagreement ensued between a Vulcan and an Andorian and Juval decided to step in and defend Vulcan honor. He may have a made a few remarks about the Andorians mother and before you know it there was a challenge in the air for a fight to the death. Juval clearly had no interest in fighting this man and it wasn't because he was upholding his principles or his oath to Starfleet; but he didn't think he could win. Before you know it Juval managed to convince the Andorian to have a drink with him instead and things went smoothly from there on. That was the day he learned to stay away from insulting anyones mother and also the day he learned Androains could hold their liquor far better than Trills. Nonetheless, it must've been quite the sight to see a drunk Starfleet Captain hurling insults surrounded by a 12 very sober and very angry Andorians." Leela chuckled as she pondered the event and looked around waiting for the reaction. 

"If you want to know who you are, it's important to know who you've been." - Jadzia Dax[/center]

Martin Jackson

[Deck 6, Holodeck 2]

Martin's first space assignment was not going as he imagined it would.  On the bright side, hen't needed to engage in any violent activity... on the other, he hadn't really had to engage in any activity at all, aside from routine sensor scans.

Now, he was power-walking in a nice, cool forest next to a sparkling lake.  It was nice scenery, but the workout was the main point; it was only a little while before his next shift, and he wanted to have his endorphins up and active for the dull work.

That said, Martin was not yet used to the Holodeck outside of his little "workout room" program.  The limited space was apparent in that one.  For just a moment, Jackson forgot that he was in an enclosed space.  During that moment, he power walked full-steam into the wall of the holodeck.

In a daze, Martin sat up and tried to regain his bearing.  "Simulation off," he called, shaken.  The forest and the lake rippled and disappeared, leaving Martin sitting haphazardly next to the wall.  He felt something dripping onto his pant leg, and knew instinctively that it was blood.  His fingers climbed to gingerly check his nose... he winced at the touch.  Definitely broken.

Pain crept into his senses, but he ignored it and got to his feet.  Cradling his hand beneath his busted nose to keep the blood from dribbling onto the ground, Martin headed for the door of the chamber.  No time for self-admonishing; he had to get to sick bay.

Martin sheepishly avoided contact with his crewmates during what he could only consider a march of shame up to Deck 7.  Once he came to the door, he found the good doctor sitting at a terminal, with Mr Wu just behind.  "Uh, Doctor Vaughan?  Sorry to interrupt, but do you have time for a broken nose?"

Alexander Wu

Quote from: Martin Jackson on July 05, 2017, 12:42:02 AM

Martin sheepishly avoided contact with his crewmates during what he could only consider a march of shame up to Deck 7.  Once he came to the door, he found the good doctor sitting at a terminal, with Mr Wu just behind.  "Uh, Doctor Vaughan?  Sorry to interrupt, but do you have time for a broken nose?"

[Sickbay]

Alex turned at the sound of doors opening, and a flicker of concern crossed his face as he watched the crewman stumble closer, his face half-occluded by a hand not quite successful at hiding the damage or preventing droplets of crimson blood from spilling onto the deck. "Trying to get out of work, crewman?" Alex quipped with a faint smile once he realized the injury was relatively minor, stepping aside for Vaughan to perform her magic. "What on earth did you do?"

"Nothing in the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity. The hottest place in Hell is reserved for those who remain neutral in times of great moral conflict." -MLK, Jr.

Lizzie Vaughan

Quote from: Alexander Wu on July 04, 2017, 03:01:27 PM

[Sickbay]

Like many others in his generation, Alex had been personally affected by the Dominion War not because he had been directly in it, but by whom he had lost. Sitting this close to the border had always been a bit of a double edged blade for him. Even though the truce had held for decades now, a part of him wished he could pay back the cards that had been dealt to him. As in the past, keeping busy with work seemed to be the only reliable distraction.

Wandering into sickbay, he offered a small smile to the nurse at triage before heading over to the CMO. Glancing over her shoulder with some curiosity once realizing whatever she was reading wasn't medical related, Alex chuckled. "Decided to invest in your own little panic room after our past debacles?"

Sickbay

Lizzie who had noticed Wu enter out of the corner of her eye, smiled and giggled a bit.

"Not quite Commander." She replied. "But since we had occasion to use the old emergency system several times recently and having nothing medical related to do at the moment, I decided to look into its workings so I know what it can and can't do."

She was about to continue when the doors opened.

Quote from: Martin Jackson on July 05, 2017, 12:42:02 AM

Lizzie looked up and gave the crewman a smile.
Quote from: Alexander Wu on July 05, 2017, 09:57:24 AM

[Sickbay]

Alex turned at the sound of doors opening, and a flicker of concern crossed his face as he watched the crewman stumble closer, his face half-occluded by a hand not quite successful at hiding the damage or preventing droplets of crimson blood from spilling onto the deck. "Trying to get out of work, crewman?" Alex quipped with a faint smile once he realized the injury was relatively minor, stepping aside for Vaughan to perform her magic. "What on earth did you do?"

"Of course Crewman." She said, ignoring what Wu said and motioned to bed one. "Please take a seat and I 'll take a look."

Bio: Lizzie Vaughan Bio
Academy Medical Instructor
In Memorium.

Kirok

Quote from: Leela Kaz on July 04, 2017, 11:18:26 PM

[Bridge]

Leela chuckled as the Captain asked his questions and gave her the floor. She truned slightly and was sitting sideways in her chair looking towards the center of the bridge. "Juval was my last host... so number seven for the Kaz symbiont. He was a notoriously drunk in his younger days. He was actually CO of an Excelsior class vessel. It wasn't until the later part of his life, on Vulcan, he began to calm down and really examine life." She looked directly to the Vulcan hybrid in an effort to show she did have some understanding of his culture.

"But I digress. It was as Captain of the Excelsior that he was on a diplomatic mission. We had a contingency of around 12 Andorians on the ship and I, umm i mean Juval, was still a young captain. Actually it was one of his first missions. We were in a recreational area and Juval was drunk. There is no real surprise there, I'm not entirely sure how he actually got any work done. Well a disagreement ensued between a Vulcan and an Andorian and Juval decided to step in and defend Vulcan honor. He may have a made a few remarks about the Andorians mother and before you know it there was a challenge in the air for a fight to the death. Juval clearly had no interest in fighting this man and it wasn't because he was upholding his principles or his oath to Starfleet; but he didn't think he could win. Before you know it Juval managed to convince the Andorian to have a drink with him instead and things went smoothly from there on. That was the day he learned to stay away from insulting anyones mother and also the day he learned Androains could hold their liquor far better than Trills. Nonetheless, it must've been quite the sight to see a drunk Starfleet Captain hurling insults surrounded by a 12 very sober and very angry Andorians." Leela chuckled as she pondered the event and looked around waiting for the reaction.

[Bridge]

Zex had turned to Leela once the Trill was about three sentences into her story.  It only seemed to get more interesting as Leela talked.  Perhaps she was make a good friend the Deltan started to ponder.

But the thought was interrupted by the end of the story.  Zex snorted with a small laugh in response.  "Oh, sorry, Sir" she said and then quickly added "Shields are holding well."

Species:  Betazoid/Vulcan.
Being kind to others costs nothing & builds a stronger community.

Jettis Jyur

Quote from: LK Reede on July 02, 2017, 06:48:16 PM

Glancing up, her spoon digging into the last of her sundae, LK nodded an acknowledgement then said, "Please. I'm doing very well, commander." She let her spoon drop with a sigh. "I've had too much. Time to let my brain know that my stomach is full." Leaning back in contentment, LK smiled. "How's it going on the bridge?"

LK then noticed a pinched look to the XO's features. Uncomfortable in a social setting? she asked herself and then asked Cmdr. Jyur, "Uh, how are you doing? If you don't mind my saying, you look a bit peaked."

[Mess Hall]

Sitting down in the seat beside her when she had acknowledged him, Jettis regarded her with an amused look. "Too much ice cream? Impossible," he joked, moving to take a bite of his own food. "From what I've heard, same as ever - uneventful and quiet. Just the same scans over again."

He shot her a wry smile at her next question, chuckling deeply. "Is it that obvious?" Stabbing his dessert again, he clasped his hands together. "Let's just say, I'm not much of a social butterfly. Or social creature of any sort." Smirking, he brought his finger to his lips in a hushing motion. "But shh, you musn't tell. A First officer needs to keep up appearances you know."

Martin Jackson

[Sickbay]

Quote from: Lizzie Vaughan on July 05, 2017, 12:14:45 PM

"Of course Crewman." She said, ignoring what Wu said and motioned to bed one. "Please take a seat and I 'll take a look."

Martin strode to the bed and took a seat obediently, making sure to avoid dripping blood onto the soft surface.  Once settled, Wu's question
Quote from: Alexander Wu on July 05, 2017, 09:57:24 AM

"What on earth did you do?"

finally struck through the dull numbness of the pain.

"I... kinda forgot that the holodeck has walls," he answered, embarrassed.

Safefta Pardek

Quote from: Leela Kaz on July 04, 2017, 11:18:26 PM

[Bridge]

[Bridge]

Basic diagnostic complete; all systems nominal. No imminent threats present. Restart scan.

Tactical was occasionally dull without any imminent threats or drills to perform, especially not when there was a medical officer acting as sec/tac in the current moment... but while she seldom participated, stories passed around the bridge could liven up the time. The romulan listened to the wild tale given by the bridge's resident storytelling trill, finding it both a grievous trespass of protocol and extremely amusing at the same time.

"Clearly, a product of a different era," she commented. She wondered what it would be like to have all those memories you hadn't experienced yourself... and how it differed from one's own memory.

Species: Romulan/Vulcan Hybrid. | 4'8" | For a full biography, click my signature block.

Lizzie Vaughan

Quote from: Martin Jackson on July 05, 2017, 07:40:48 PM

[Sickbay]

Martin strode to the bed and took a seat obediently, making sure to avoid dripping blood onto the soft surface.  Once settled, Wu's questionfinally struck through the dull numbness of the pain.

Sickbay

Lizzie smiled and examined the crewman, deciding not to use a tricorder.

"Hmm. Fracture of the nasal cartilage. Hold still while I push it back in." She remarked, donning a pair of gloves. "This may hurt a little." She added, almost as an afterthought.

She reached out and gently squeezed the bridge of the crewman's nose, pushing the cartilage back into place. She then loaded a hypospray with a mild painkiller and anti inflammatory.

"I'm just going to give you something for the pain and to help reduce the swelling." She said, indicating the hypospray.

In Memorium.

Kirok

Quote from: Safefta Pardek on July 06, 2017, 12:27:12 AM

[Bridge]

Basic diagnostic complete; all systems nominal. No imminent threats present. Restart scan.

Tactical was occasionally dull without any imminent threats or drills to perform, especially not when there was a medical officer acting as sec/tac in the current moment... but while she seldom participated, stories passed around the bridge could liven up the time. The romulan listened to the wild tale given by the bridge's resident storytelling trill, finding it both a grievous trespass of protocol and extremely amusing at the same time.

"Clearly, a product of a different era," she commented. She wondered what it would be like to have all those memories you hadn't experienced yourself... and how it differed from one's own memory.

[Bridge]

The Deltan had stood up and away from the station when Ms. Pardek arrived.  The Romulan/Vulcan hybrid was the superior officer.  "Ma'am" she said before offering the woman a salute.

"Captain, do you need me at Flight Control?" Zex asked after turning to Dylan.  She was technically off duty soon.  But the FC duty station seemed to be empty.

Martin Jackson

[Sickbay]

Quote from: Lizzie Vaughan on July 06, 2017, 04:23:22 AM

Lizzie smiled and examined the crewman, deciding not to use a tricorder.

"Hmm. Fracture of the nasal cartilage. Hold still while I push it back in." She remarked, donning a pair of gloves. "This may hurt a little." She added, almost as an afterthought.

She reached out and gently squeezed the bridge of the crewman's nose, pushing the cartilage back into place. She then loaded a hypospray with a mild painkiller and anti inflammatory.

"I'm just going to give you something for the pain and to help reduce the swelling." She said, indicating the hypospray.

Jackson took the nose re-adjustment wincing only slightly.  He also submitted to the hypospray.  "Thanks," he told the Doctor.
"I'm good to report for duty, right?"  Wu had jokingly accused him of wanting to get out of work; joke or no, he wanted to prove otherwise. 

Alexander Wu

Quote from: Martin Jackson on July 05, 2017, 07:40:48 PM

[Sickbay]

Martin strode to the bed and took a seat obediently, making sure to avoid dripping blood onto the soft surface.  Once settled, Wu's questionfinally struck through the dull numbness of the pain.

[Sickbay]

"Hm, that's odd." Alex puzzled, pulling out his PADD and linking it to the ship's computer. He called up the holodecks' maintenance records, waiting for the data to fully download. "Typically you wouldn't be able to run into the bulkheads while the holodeck's active, it's designed to automatically gauge your physical position and move the virtual environment around you. If someone was to look inside from a birds-eye view, it should almost look as though you were on a treadmill. Which holodeck were you using? We'll have take it offline for a full diagnostic."

Although he wasn't thrilled that his crewman had taken a knock in the face, Alex was somewhat relieved that they finally had something off-routine, even if it was potentially a simple sensor malfunction. "You can come help me with the diagnostic once Doctor Vaughan gives you the green light."

"Nothing in the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity. The hottest place in Hell is reserved for those who remain neutral in times of great moral conflict." -MLK, Jr.

Dylan Torngate

[Bridge]

Dylan smiled at the story. He could just imagine the event- to a point. He'd never seen Juval, but he could definately see Leela getting into trouble. And the setting was easy to imagine- corridors of an Excelsior class? Yeah, Challenger could provide that. "Well glad to see yo.. er, he, began to calm down. Wouldn't want Ops to come across short-staffed with a drunk," he said, but jested with a grin. He saw but chose not to comment on the look to the Science officer. That was a storm that he'd rather stay mostly clear of. He'd hear if it developed into a bigger issue.

"He was drunk... on duty... and got into a challenge with an Andorian..." he asked, as he put his thumb and pointer finger to his forehead. "Of course he did..." he remarked, as he thought of what he knew of Andorian customs. He had heard of the fight to the death- two fighters, chained together with a short length of wire. Each combatant had a crude, bladed ice-tool in their right hand and a metal gauntlet in their left for protection. It was a fight to the death, but among Starfleet was the whispers of an out, if one found themselves in such a bind. If a combatant had no living heirs to carry on their family, the challenge was delayed for as long as needed, but only if they were married. The other out was if either combatant was disabled to a point of being unable to continue combat- such as an andorian losing one antenna. Tips and Tricks with Starfleet. Dylan took in this story, and smiled as he absorbed it. But now he knew that Andorians could hold their liquor. "I'm guessing Juval's crew came and bailed him out eventually?" he asked. He heard the Deltan's involuntary laugh, and decided to help bail out the woman.

"Thank you, Ensign." he told her, but was quickly distracted in the carefree atmosphere by the appearance of Safefta Pardek, the ship's resident sullen Romulan. Dylan knew that Ms. Pardek was not one for socializing or anything of the sort- in fact, the Romulan-Hybrid was as hard nosed and fun-lacking as could be, and could probably give the Tal Shiar a run for their money when it came to having the least amount of fun. "Commander," Dylan said, nodding slightly, his face suddenly hardened, matching the demeanor that he judged might be more "Formal" or "Comfortable" for the woman. Not making her be social, merely acknowledging her appearance and her comment. When Zex spoke again, however, he quickly recovered the carefree and loose tones he'd had. "Well, we don't seem to be going anywhere, but if you want to sit us in space, feel free. Just keep your foot on the brake."

Of course, when someone was this relaxed and the ship was this far off edge, sitting in space, nobody expected anything to happen.

Which, of course, is when everything started to happen. At once.

Suddenly, the ship received a hail, the first one in days. Dylan turned as the call came over the speakers.

=/\= To any vessel in range, this is Gul Vanar of the Fifth Order. We're experiancing a massive computer and containment failure. Our warp core is near breach- we require assistance. We are an unarmed science vessel! Any ships in range, please respond...=/\=

Dylan frowned. What were spoonheads doing this far from Cardassia prime, and in the Gamma Quadrant no less? The Bajoran wormhole records had no note of a ship out this far, although to be frank they didn't monitor as closely as they once had. Bajoran crew, not Federation, now roamed the halls of DS9. Dylan snapped out of his carefree mood, back into a professional and business mode. No nonsense here, his entire mood changing in half a second. "Code, One Alpha Zero. Ship in Distress- Red Alert. Helm, set course..."

Suddenly, in all cosmic chance, another alarm rocked the ship. A second mayday call.

=/\= Mayday, Mayday, Mayday. Federation Starship Challenger, this is the merchant vessel Canam! We're under at- *static* a Jem'Hadd- *static* -hip! Weapons are down, Warp is offline! Our coordinates from you are 284 mark *static* -5! Challenger! Can you hear us!=/\= The voice on the other end cut out as a screech of static burst through the line.

Dylan turned to the operations station and pointed at Kaz. "Get them back. Contact the planet, let them know one of their ships is under attack. And find out what the Cardassians are doing here!" Dylan turned quickly, and now spoke to Pardek. "Commander, I want a detailed workup of those ships, and a plan if we have to engage them." he said, as he finally turned to Zex. "Find those missing coordinates, I want eyes on that ship as soon as possible. What other ships are in the area?" he asked. He turned next to Sevoc. "What do you know about either of those ships? What does the computer tell us?" he asked, as he moved to the center of the bridge. =/\= Commander Jyur, report to the bridge.=/\=

He turned around, addressing the whole of the bridge. "Answers and Options, People."

Webmaster and Administrator
Shadow Fleet

Lizzie Vaughan

Quote from: Martin Jackson on July 06, 2017, 07:44:15 PM

[Sickbay]

Jackson took the nose re-adjustment wincing only slightly.  He also submitted to the hypospray.  "Thanks," he told the Doctor.
"I'm good to report for duty, right?"  Wu had jokingly accused him of wanting to get out of work; joke or no, he wanted to prove otherwise.

Sickbay

Lizzie smiled and nodded before injecting the medication.

"You're good to go Crewman. Please keep an eye out for excessive swelling or bruising. If you notice either, please report back.

Quote from: Alexander Wu on July 06, 2017, 08:18:52 PM

[Sickbay]

"Hm, that's odd." Alex puzzled, pulling out his PADD and linking it to the ship's computer. He called up the holodecks' maintenance records, waiting for the data to fully download. "Typically you wouldn't be able to run into the bulkheads while the holodeck's active, it's designed to automatically gauge your physical position and move the virtual environment around you. If someone was to look inside from a birds-eye view, it should almost look as though you were on a treadmill. Which holodeck were you using? We'll have take it offline for a full diagnostic."

Although he wasn't thrilled that his crewman had taken a knock in the face, Alex was somewhat relieved that they finally had something off-routine, even if it was potentially a simple sensor malfunction. "You can come help me with the diagnostic once Doctor Vaughan gives you the green light."

Lizzie listened to Wu and could not help but agree with him. With a fully working holodeck, you should not come into contact with the walls.

In Memorium.

Kirok

Quote from: Dylan Torngate on July 06, 2017, 09:23:17 PM

[Bridge]

"Thank you, Ensign." he told her, but was quickly distracted in the carefree atmosphere by the appearance of Safefta Pardek, the ship's resident sullen Romulan. Dylan knew that Ms. Pardek was not one for socializing or anything of the sort- in fact, the Romulan-Hybrid was as hard nosed and fun-lacking as could be, and could probably give the Tal Shiar a run for their money when it came to having the least amount of fun. "Commander," Dylan said, nodding slightly, his face suddenly hardened, matching the demeanor that he judged might be more "Formal" or "Comfortable" for the woman. Not making her be social, merely acknowledging her appearance and her comment. When Zex spoke again, however, he quickly recovered the carefree and loose tones he'd had. "Well, we don't seem to be going anywhere, but if you want to sit us in space, feel free. Just keep your foot on the brake."

Of course, when someone was this relaxed and the ship was this far off edge, sitting in space, nobody expected anything to happen.

Which, of course, is when everything started to happen. At once.

Suddenly, the ship received a hail, the first one in days. Dylan turned as the call came over the speakers.

=/\= To any vessel in range, this is Gul Vanar of the Fifth Order. We're experiancing a massive computer and containment failure. Our warp core is near breach- we require assistance. We are an unarmed science vessel! Any ships in range, please respond...=/\=

Dylan frowned. What were spoonheads doing this far from Cardassia prime, and in the Gamma Quadrant no less? The Bajoran wormhole records had no note of a ship out this far, although to be frank they didn't monitor as closely as they once had. Bajoran crew, not Federation, now roamed the halls of DS9. Dylan snapped out of his carefree mood, back into a professional and business mode. No nonsense here, his entire mood changing in half a second. "Code, One Alpha Zero. Ship in Distress- Red Alert. Helm, set course..."

Suddenly, in all cosmic chance, another alarm rocked the ship. A second mayday call.

=/\= Mayday, Mayday, Mayday. Federation Starship Challenger, this is the merchant vessel Canam! We're under at- *static* a Jem'Hadd- *static* -hip! Weapons are down, Warp is offline! Our coordinates from you are 284 mark *static* -5! Challenger! Can you hear us!=/\= The voice on the other end cut out as a screech of static burst through the line.

Dylan turned to the operations station and pointed at Kaz. "Get them back. Contact the planet, let them know one of their ships is under attack. And find out what the Cardassians are doing here!" Dylan turned quickly, and now spoke to Pardek. "Commander, I want a detailed workup of those ships, and a plan if we have to engage them." he said, as he finally turned to Zex. "Find those missing coordinates, I want eyes on that ship as soon as possible. What other ships are in the area?" he asked. He turned next to Sevoc. "What do you know about either of those ships? What does the computer tell us?" he asked, as he moved to the center of the bridge. =/\= Commander Jyur, report to the bridge.=/\=

He turned around, addressing the whole of the bridge. "Answers and Options, People."

[Bridge]

"Aye, Sir" Zex replied with a slight nod.  As she started to make her way to the Helm, the first message came in.  So, she quickened her pace and was sitting and logged in when it finished.

After so many days of no activity, it seemed odd two have two distress calls so close together.  It was definitely suspicious.  But maybe it was nothing.

"Looking up coordinates now" the Delta called out.  She tapped in a command to the duty station to look for transponders in the area.  If the Canam's transponder was still active, she would be able to locate them.

🡱 🡳

RPG-D Sci-Fi Avatars RPG Initiative RPGfix RPG Initiative Fodlan Chronicles

Star Trek and all related marks, logos and characters are solely owned by CBS Studios Inc. This fan production is not endorsed by, sponsored by, nor affiliated with CBS, Paramount Pictures, or any other Star Trek franchise, and is a non-commercial fan-made production intended for recreational use. No commercial exhibition or distribution is permitted. No alleged independent rights will be asserted against CBS or Paramount Pictures.