S1E3 United We Stand

Started by Dylan Torngate, June 30, 2017, 01:32:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dylan Torngate

Captain's Log.

The USS Challenger is on patrol in the Dosi System. The Dosi have suffered recent raiding attacks from an unknown source, and due to the closeness of the Dominion to this planet, Starfleet took an interest and has assigned our ship as both a show of force and, hopefully, a diplomatic relay. So far the ship has been in a back-and-forth patrol, and we are gearing up to leave the system to check on one of the outer colonies.

[Bridge]

Dylan paced back and forth. It had been days of endless nothing. No contacts, no new spacecraft, and no hails. It was as if the outside galaxy had forgotten this little backwater piece of space existed.

Ever since 2370 when the Ferengi had made contact with the Dosi, it had been a touchy subject. After the war, the Dosi had successfully lobbied and earned rather peaceful exits from the Dominion, but still paid heavy "protection fees" to the Dominion. The Dominion had made it clear they disagreed with the move of the Dosi, and that outside interference would be.... frowned upon. So here the Challenger was- a Diplomatic vessel on the edge of a war zone, unable to do anything really except wave the flag. That, and report back if the Dominion violated the rights of the Dosi, until the Federation Council would meet- in three weeks time.

"Report, what's the latest sensor scan say about our little patch of emptiness out here?" he asked, as he tried to keep himself awake. "Any comms traffic or other vessels?"

Webmaster and Administrator
Shadow Fleet

Sevoc

Quote from: Dylan Torngate on June 30, 2017, 01:32:09 PM

Captain's Log.

The USS Challenger is on patrol in the Dosi System. The Dosi have suffered recent raiding attacks from an unknown source, and due to the closeness of the Dominion to this planet, Starfleet took an interest and has assigned our ship as both a show of force and, hopefully, a diplomatic relay. So far the ship has been in a back-and-forth patrol, and we are gearing up to leave the system to check on one of the outer colonies.

[Bridge]

Dylan paced back and forth. It had been days of endless nothing. No contacts, no new spacecraft, and no hails. It was as if the outside galaxy had forgotten this little backwater piece of space existed.

Ever since 2370 when the Ferengi had made contact with the Dosi, it had been a touchy subject. After the war, the Dosi had successfully lobbied and earned rather peaceful exits from the Dominion, but still paid heavy "protection fees" to the Dominion. The Dominion had made it clear they disagreed with the move of the Dosi, and that outside interference would be.... frowned upon. So here the Challenger was- a Diplomatic vessel on the edge of a war zone, unable to do anything really except wave the flag. That, and report back if the Dominion violated the rights of the Dosi, until the Federation Council would meet- in three weeks time.

"Report, what's the latest sensor scan say about our little patch of emptiness out here?" he asked, as he tried to keep himself awake. "Any comms traffic or other vessels?"

Sevoc was at his station on the bridge. He heard the request and looked at the latest scans.

Nothing out of the ordinary, sir, he replied. Twenty particles of space dust per cubic meter, 52 ultraviolet radiation spikes, and a class-2 comet.

It was a pretty standard for this sector of space, but still worth noting.

So that would make me a blue-blooded hobgoblin?
Alt for Leo

Lizzie Vaughan

Sickbay

Lizzie was bored. She hated inactivity, so due to the benign nature of their current assignment, she had decided to catch up on medicals and paperwork. So over the last few days, she had gotten the whole crew up to date on their annual physicals and performed checkups on those crew members who had ongoing conditions that needed monitoring. She had even looked at the few pets that were on board.

However, there was only so much work she could create and she had exhausted that the previous day. So now she was seated at the main sickbay console, reading a medical journal. There was not much to hold her interest but it was better than nothing. Even so, she was still running down an imaginary checklist to see if there was anything else that she could do that would not compromise Sickbay. All the bio-beds had been re calibrated and the Techs were servicing the tricorders. There was literally nothing for her to do.

Then her eyes fell on the door to the old emergency system in the corner. It had served them well on several previous missions but she still did not know how it worked. So she got up and opened the door. The console in there was basic in the extreme. It appeared to have two main functions. The first was a communications link from Sickbay to the other main areas of the ship. The Bridge, Main Engineering, Main shuttle bay, Main Science lab and the Captains quarters. The other was an external communications system to either send a pre-recorded message all all standard frequencies or to perform short range communications to another vessel. It was clearly a stand alone system and had its own power supply. She looked more closely and saw there was another function. There was launch controls for a small probe that could either be placed into orbit or sent to a specific location. As far as she could see, it had no sensors, minimal storage capacity and limited range. She assumed it was designed to serve as a quarantine marker, with the add on of sending an emergency message. Opening up the front panel, she saw it was fully deuotronic with no isoliniar chips at all.

Smiling to herself, she went back to the terminal and pulled up the schematics. She then settled down to read.

Bio: Lizzie Vaughan Bio
Academy Medical Instructor
In Memorium.

Leela Kaz

Quote from: Dylan Torngate on June 30, 2017, 01:32:09 PM

Captain's Log.

[Bridge]

[Bridge]

I'm so bored! Leela thought to herself as she checked the scanners. It had been days and days in the emptiness of space. She found herself longing for something to break so she could leave the bridge to fix it. Nonetheless, here she was, trapped and bored. "Well let's see, I thought I saw an asteroid but it turned out to be a sensor ghost. I'm detecting a long stretch of boredom ahead, Captain. I could go for a Borg cube or warp core breach right about now." She said with a chuckle followed by a slight sigh.

"If you want to know who you are, it's important to know who you've been." - Jadzia Dax[/center]

Lek

[Engineering]

Lek absently drummed his fingers on his console and sighed.

"Life of an engineer. Deathly bored until you are not. No in between. Ever since we purged that old code that took over the ship a few weeks back. We've had nothing but preventive maintenance, which is important, but everyone on board knows it's just busy work. I don't want anything to break, but it would be nice to be doing something other than busy work."

Alt of Ian Galloway

LK Reede

[Deck 3, Officer's Mess Hall]

Down Time. What a wonderful thing.

Lt. Reede picked the strawberry sundae out of the replicator using both hands so as not to spill even a drop. This was a masterpiece to savor. She positively drooled as she carried it to a table overlooking the vastness of space with their stars twinkling merrily. Sitting the dish down carefully, LK then sat herself down, looked longingly at the bright red and white confection then picked up the spoon.

Ahh... first bite.... delightful.

Dylan Torngate

[Bridge]

Dylan spun side to side in his chair. "Wonderful, Mister Sevoc. Wonderful. Please send our daily report to Starfleet command, I'm sure they're... Dying to see what we've been up to." He said, as he stood up and paced the bridge again. It had been like this, day in and day out. The engines hadn't been used, they had nothing to go on, and they were essentially the biggest space-paperweight this side of the wormhole.

Dylan turned as the other officer spoke.

"Don't push your luck, Lieutenant. I'll take boredom over Borgdom any day of the year," he said, sounding both bored, tired, and exasperated all at the same time. "And don't break my ship- she's valuable, even if she is old."

He walked over to the side of the bridge and looked at a secondary console, which had the diagnostics of the ship running. If the ship went much longer without moving an inch, the engines would automatically shut down.

"Anyone got any stories?" He asked, completely dropping any sort of "professional" attitude. There was no place for that right now, he was all friendly now.

Shadow Fleet

Sevoc

Quote from: Dylan Torngate on July 01, 2017, 03:50:01 PM

[Bridge]

Dylan spun side to side in his chair. "Wonderful, Mister Sevoc. Wonderful. Please send our daily report to Starfleet command, I'm sure they're... Dying to see what we've been up to." He said, as he stood up and paced the bridge again. It had been like this, day in and day out. The engines hadn't been used, they had nothing to go on, and they were essentially the biggest space-paperweight this side of the wormhole.

"Don't push your luck, Lieutenant. I'll take boredom over Borgdom any day of the year," he said, sounding both bored, tired, and exasperated all at the same time. "And don't break my ship- she's valuable, even if she is old."

He walked over to the side of the bridge and looked at a secondary console, which had the diagnostics of the ship running. If the ship went much longer without moving an inch, the engines would automatically shut down.

"Anyone got any stories?" He asked, completely dropping any sort of "professional" attitude. There was no place for that right now, he was all friendly now.

{Bridge}

I am not sure any of my stories would suffice, sir, Sevoc replied Besides, it would only serve to lower crew efficiency we're we to engage in story telling.

In typical Vulcan fashion, he responded coolly. He was not averse to stories, but they were beat served during off duty periods.

Alt for Leo

Jettis Jyur

Quote from: LK Reede on July 01, 2017, 09:24:01 AM

[Deck 3, Officer's Mess Hall]

Down Time. What a wonderful thing.

Lt. Reede picked the strawberry sundae out of the replicator using both hands so as not to spill even a drop. This was a masterpiece to savor. She positively drooled as she carried it to a table overlooking the vastness of space with their stars twinkling merrily. Sitting the dish down carefully, LK then sat herself down, looked longingly at the bright red and white confection then picked up the spoon.

Ahh... first bite.... delightful.

[Mess Hall]

Jettis entered the mess hall, eyes immediately sweeping the room curiously. He was off-shift, but like most every other time, had no idea what to do with himself. He was not a person who enjoyed too much break time. Mostly it was spent doing paperwork, occasionally some sort of physical activity, and often drinking. But never was it socializing.

If he ate, it would be in his own quarters, perhaps but unlikely with a fellow crewmember. So this would be a first that many currently sitting in the mess hall had seen him under a non-professional circumstance.
As soon as he stepped foot in the room however, he felt inexplicably unsettled. It showed, as he brought his hand to his neck, but looked otherwise neutral. Despite the small amount of people, the room was uncomfortably cramped for him. But the option of immediately walking back out was equally unappealing to him, so he pressed on, moving to the replicator. "Dominostein," he spoke, and quickly it materialized. Picking it up, he looked for a semi-familiar face, recognizing LK.

Moving over towards her, he smiled, silently asking that he could dine with her. "Good evening Miss Reede," he greeted, "how've you been as of late?"

Leela Kaz

Quote from: Dylan Torngate on July 01, 2017, 03:50:01 PM

[Bridge]

Quote from: Sevoc

{Bridge}

I am not sure any of my stories would suffice, sir, Sevoc replied Besides, it would only serve to lower crew efficiency we're we to engage in story telling.

In typical Vulcan fashion, he responded coolly. He was not averse to stories, but they were beat served during off duty periods.

[Bridge]

Leela was looking over her shoulder and began to open her mouth as Sevoc began to talk. "Pshh." She shrugged dismissively. "Clearly our efficiency in doing nothing is an issue here, you Andorians are all alike... no sense of fun." Leela said turning her attention back to her console. "You know what, Captain, I once got drunk with a group of Andorians. Not me, but Juval, he was like that though." She said with a chuckle. "Let's just say things got surprisingly violent before becoming fun." Leela added.

"If you want to know who you are, it's important to know who you've been." - Jadzia Dax[/center]

Sevoc

Quote from: Leela Kaz on July 01, 2017, 11:59:01 PM

[Bridge]

Leela was looking over her shoulder and began to open her mouth as Sevoc began to talk. "Pshh." She shrugged dismissively. "Clearly our efficiency in doing nothing is an issue here, you Andorians are all alike... no sense of fun." Leela said turning her attention back to her console. "You know what, Captain, I once got drunk with a group of Andorians. Not me, but Juval, he was like that though." She said with a chuckle. "Let's just say things got surprisingly violent before becoming fun." Leela added.

{Bridge}

Sevoc raised an eyebrow at the Andorian remark. No matter how many times the mistake was made, he never had quite gotten used to it.

I would have thought my pointed ears and swooped eyebrows would also indicate that I am in fact part Vulcan, he began, but it seems at least this Trill only sees colors and not the details. Something that an operations officer would need to focus on more, perhaps, hmm?

With that, he returned to his console and checked over the scans for any new data.

Alt for Leo

LK Reede

Quote from: Jettis Jyur on July 01, 2017, 08:17:37 PM

[Mess Hall]

Jettis entered the mess hall, eyes immediately sweeping the room curiously. He was off-shift, but like most every other time, had no idea what to do with himself. He was not a person who enjoyed too much break time. Mostly it was spent doing paperwork, occasionally some sort of physical activity, and often drinking. But never was it socializing.

If he ate, it would be in his own quarters, perhaps but unlikely with a fellow crewmember. So this would be a first that many currently sitting in the mess hall had seen him under a non-professional circumstance.
As soon as he stepped foot in the room however, he felt inexplicably unsettled. It showed, as he brought his hand to his neck, but looked otherwise neutral. Despite the small amount of people, the room was uncomfortably cramped for him. But the option of immediately walking back out was equally unappealing to him, so he pressed on, moving to the replicator. "Dominostein," he spoke, and quickly it materialized. Picking it up, he looked for a semi-familiar face, recognizing LK.

Moving over towards her, he smiled, silently asking that he could dine with her. "Good evening Miss Reede," he greeted, "how've you been as of late?"

Glancing up, her spoon digging into the last of her sundae, LK nodded an acknowledgement then said, "Please. I'm doing very well, commander." She let her spoon drop with a sigh. "I've had too much. Time to let my brain know that my stomach is full." Leaning back in contentment, LK smiled. "How's it going on the bridge?"

LK then noticed a pinched look to the XO's features. Uncomfortable in a social setting? she asked herself and then asked Cmdr. Jyur, "Uh, how are you doing? If you don't mind my saying, you look a bit peaked."

Dylan Torngate

[Bridge]

Dylan grinned at the fire being exchanged between the two officers. It never hurt to have some friendly banter- though he wasn't sure if the hybrid Andorvulcan understood the concept. Now, if you ever got a Vulcan to crack? That was the stuff of legends.

"Ahh don't worry about efficiency," he told the man, as he paced the bridge again. "There's only so many times one can run the same sensor scans again- it gets old after a while. Nothing's changed in this little area of the galaxy for years."

He turned to the Trill, and dared to ask the question...s. Multiple questions.

"Juval, how many host ago was that? And dare I ask what you got them drunk on? Seems you have the floor, Lieutenant."

He heard the shade being thrown, and smiled to himself. "Now now, let's not get hostile here. All in good fun."

Shadow Fleet

Kirok

Quote from: Dylan Torngate on July 03, 2017, 11:07:58 PM

[Bridge]

Dylan grinned at the fire being exchanged between the two officers. It never hurt to have some friendly banter- though he wasn't sure if the hybrid Andorvulcan understood the concept. Now, if you ever got a Vulcan to crack? That was the stuff of legends.

"Ahh don't worry about efficiency," he told the man, as he paced the bridge again. "There's only so many times one can run the same sensor scans again- it gets old after a while. Nothing's changed in this little area of the galaxy for years."

He turned to the Trill, and dared to ask the question...s. Multiple questions.

"Juval, how many host ago was that? And dare I ask what you got them drunk on? Seems you have the floor, Lieutenant."

He heard the shade being thrown, and smiled to himself. "Now now, let's not get hostile here. All in good fun."

[Bridge]

Zex offered a friendly nod to the banter.  But did not interject.  She was still trying to fit in with the crew.

That has been a bit of a task on the newest ship in the fleet.  She had still yet to make a personal connection with any of the others.   But then again, the Deltan had been a bit more reserved than usual.

Perhaps it was because she had been tasked with taking over new duties.  Sec/Tac did not come to her as naturally as medical.  But she had taken the position to fulfill the ships needs.

Still, being the person who fired torpedoes and phasers was starting to weigh on her.  She had always though of herself as a healer and had taken the Hippocratic Oath to do no harm.  So, she felt conflicted at the moment.

Species:  Betazoid/Vulcan.
Being kind to others costs nothing & builds a stronger community.

Alexander Wu

[Sickbay]

Like many others in his generation, Alex had been personally affected by the Dominion War not because he had been directly in it, but by whom he had lost. Sitting this close to the border had always been a bit of a double edged blade for him. Even though the truce had held for decades now, a part of him wished he could pay back the cards that had been dealt to him. As in the past, keeping busy with work seemed to be the only reliable distraction.

Wandering into sickbay, he offered a small smile to the nurse at triage before heading over to the CMO. Glancing over her shoulder with some curiosity once realizing whatever she was reading wasn't medical related, Alex chuckled. "Decided to invest in your own little panic room after our past debacles?"

"Nothing in the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity. The hottest place in Hell is reserved for those who remain neutral in times of great moral conflict." -MLK, Jr.

🡱 🡳

RPG-D Sci-Fi Avatars RPG Initiative RPGfix RPG Initiative Fodlan Chronicles

Star Trek and all related marks, logos and characters are solely owned by CBS Studios Inc. This fan production is not endorsed by, sponsored by, nor affiliated with CBS, Paramount Pictures, or any other Star Trek franchise, and is a non-commercial fan-made production intended for recreational use. No commercial exhibition or distribution is permitted. No alleged independent rights will be asserted against CBS or Paramount Pictures.