Author Topic: S2 M1"Macrocosm"  (Read 22541 times)

Offline Solluk

• Shadow Fleet Reserves
  • Legendary Member
  • Life is not endurable without a sense of humor.
  • Three year award Awarded to players who go above and beyond what is asked of them. Awarded by the FCO to the CO who has shown the best leadership. Awarded to players who guest star in another SIMM. Awarded to players in recognition of their recruitment efforts.
    • View Profile
    • Awards
Re: S2 M1"Macrocosm"
« Reply #105 on: July 24, 2017, 11:03:39 am »
[Bridge]

As personnel began returning from the briefing room, Solluk got up from his station and stood at attention.  His first experience on the Tempest's bridge had been an odd one.  The ship was becalmed by circumstance, so there had been almost literally nothing to do.  Yet despite this, there had been a certain honor in holding the station.  And the 'shadow cabinet' discussions between junior officers and crewmembers had been diverting.

But more than anything, the experience had given him valuable time to think.  Sitting on the bridge with nothing to do seemed to put his life in context.  Troubled thoughts had been brewing in the back of his brain for some time.  They'd started as seeds.

Seeds planted during martial arts classes in the holodeck.  Seeds watered when he'd been swapping components on the Tigris merely to keep himself sharp.  Seeds that had grown when engineering personnel suggested he might be capable of something more.

The occasional bright moments fed the photosynthesis of thought.  The highlight of his month, beyond moments shared with Jada, had been the crisis in the shuttlebay.   Quick maneuvers and quick thinking to avert potential disaster.  Before that, there had been the intensity of battle against enemies of the Federation.  Bonding with a friend over lives taken and lives saved.

These things should not be a Vulcan's favorite memories.  It was wholly illogical to find value in them, or to be inspired by them.   Such things were more suitable to a Klingon.  In a Vulcan, it was borderline psychopathy.

But then, what was a Vulcan when stripped of his detachment?   Every Vulcan child learned early on that the practice of logic and emotional negation was essential.  It was essential precisely because his people had been passionate, warlike beings.  Beneath every calm veneer was a caged beast.

As Solluk stood impassively by his station, waiting to be relieved, it was perhaps somewhat comical that he should think of himself as passionate or warlike to the slightest degree.  Perhaps that was too simplistic a self-appraisal.  Perhaps it was a synergy of elements. 

Vulcans were not supposed to experience thrills, but they did find satisfaction in being useful.  Even the most emotionless of creatures at least desired the sensation of finding purpose.  A purpose that could be expressed more often than in brief fits and starts over the course of a career.

Was he feeling a kind of ambition? 

When had that happened? 

Not so long ago, he'd been content to live his life as a civilian cargo ship pilot, performing routine pickups and deliveries.  Had so much changed in a few short years? 

Or had nothing really changed at all?

There was a secret truth that sometimes whispered to him in his dreams.  The truth that there might have been more than logic at work in his skull when he'd launched his ship into that fateful collision course. 

Had he, even then, dreamed of something more? 

Was his brain damage a curse?  Or was it a secret joy?

Was it the secret wish of a caged prisoner, finally fulfilled?

It was a lot to think about.  Self-examination was a rollercoaster that tended to climax at the oddest of times.  Now his contemplation reached its peak while he was becalmed in a sea of stars, staring uselessly at a console that didn't need him to be there.

Solluk knew that he hadn't found himself, yet.  And he knew he wouldn't find himself if he stood still and waited for something to happen.

He turned his head, looking toward the Lieutenant's imminent return.

Looking towards the horizon of self-discovery.

The universes of discovery weren't just out there, beyond the viewscreen.  They weren't only to be found in discrete blobs, clinging to a ship's nacelle. 

There were universes inside of him, too.

The time had come to explore them all.

The time had come to Boldly Go.

(tag)
My Primary Shadowfleet Character:

Offline Klizh

• Shadow Fleet Reserves
  • Trusted Member
  • #MeowToo
  • Awarded to players who are always online and posting. Awarded in January and July to the player who writes the most engaging posts. Awarded to players who go above and beyond what is asked of them. Awarded in January and July by the executive officer to a player of their SIMM. Three year award
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #106 on: July 24, 2017, 03:03:19 pm »
[Conference Room]

"Sounds like we've got a plan here. James, I want you to coordinate things from the engine room with Nicholas and Jada. You guys can get us ready. K'Lizh, Ian, Naga and myself will hold the bridge. We will engage one quarter impulse on engineerings command and then you guys in the engine room. If no one has any questions, let's make this happen." Julia said with a confident smile. She was ready to get this over with.

"Aye, Captain," K'lizh said, pushing himself up into a standing position. He felt rather disheartened that there seemed no way of pushing this universe out of their own. Just what he needed, the rest of his life wondering if this thing would suddenly have its very own Big Bang. Or maybe this universe was pushing against it, keeping it contained. Well, he wouldn't have joined Starfleet if he couldn't handle the Unknown. Naga at least was happy. Maybe he should learn from her example.

Bridge

He relieved a subordinate and resumed his station at Ops. He was more than happy to leave this delicate operation to the experts; all he had to do was monitor power levels and keep the captain informed. "When this was over, I'm going to need a stiff drink," he grumbled as he settled into his chair. The fur on the back of his neck was fluffing up, betraying his agitation.
« Last Edit: July 24, 2017, 05:35:20 pm by Klizh »

"Here is the blackness of space, the myriad stars gleaming like diamond dust or, as some people would say, like great balls of exploding hydrogen a very long way off. But then, some people would say anything." - Terry Pratchett

Offline Ian Galloway

• Site Administrators
  • Amazing Member
  • Awarded in January and July by the FCO to crew of the most active SIMM. Awarded in January and July by the FCO to crew of the most organized SIMM. Awarded to any player who has been with the Fleet 5 Years Awarded to those who demonstrate an ability to convey the action of combat. Awarded in January and July to the player with the most humorous posts.
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #107 on: July 24, 2017, 05:30:40 pm »
[Bridge]

Ian returned to the bridge and nodded to Solluk.

"I trust standin' by watchin' the stars did nae tax yer skills Mister Solluk. The engineein' boffins have been given a plan and are now chewin' over how ta make the plan work. Everything depends on what the engineers come up with as ta what will happen next. I relieve you sir, You may return ta the Tigris and standby fer possible further service."

Offline Solluk

• Shadow Fleet Reserves
  • Legendary Member
  • Three year award Awarded to players who go above and beyond what is asked of them. Awarded by the FCO to the CO who has shown the best leadership. Awarded to players who guest star in another SIMM. Awarded to players in recognition of their recruitment efforts.
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #108 on: July 24, 2017, 06:50:32 pm »
[Bridge]

"I trust standin' by watchin' the stars did nae tax yer skills Mister Solluk. The engineein' boffins have been given a plan and are now chewin' over how ta make the plan work. Everything depends on what the engineers come up with as ta what will happen next. I relieve you sir, You may return ta the Tigris and standby fer possible further service."

Solluk nodded, the slightest of smirks touching his lips.  "I managed not to crash the ship, Sir," he said of his time behind the console.  "I'm glad to hear there is a plan in place to resolve the nacelle issue."

He wondered what that plan might be, but didn't want to intrude.  Such things were usually on a need-to-know basis, and unless their plan required his aid, he was unlikely to be told.

"Sir... I hope we might find a moment to speak when this is over."

With that, he nodded, "I'll resume my post immediately," and headed out to the turbolift.

Offline Ian Galloway

• Site Administrators
  • Amazing Member
  • Awarded in January and July by the FCO to crew of the most active SIMM. Awarded in January and July by the FCO to crew of the most organized SIMM. Awarded to any player who has been with the Fleet 5 Years Awarded to those who demonstrate an ability to convey the action of combat. Awarded in January and July to the player with the most humorous posts.
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #109 on: July 24, 2017, 07:11:04 pm »
[Bridge]

Solluk nodded, the slightest of smirks touching his lips.  "I managed not to crash the ship, Sir," he said of his time behind the console.  "I'm glad to hear there is a plan in place to resolve the nacelle issue."

He wondered what that plan might be, but didn't want to intrude.  Such things were usually on a need-to-know basis, and unless their plan required his aid, he was unlikely to be told.

With that, he nodded, "I'll resume my post immediately," and headed out to the turbolift.

[Bridge]

Ian smiled as he responded.

"Now you should have an idea of my life. Parked in that bloody seat, drumin' my fingers on the console, and wonderin' if I made the wrong career choice. However, as you well know, when it drops in the pot, there's no finer life than puttin' a ship through it's paces. As soon as I'm off shift, I'll track you down."

Offline Jada

• Shadow Fleet Reserves
  • Honoured Member
  • #greenlivesmatter
  • Awarded to players who demonstrate consistent high quality posting skills. Awarded to any player who has been with the Fleet 2 Years Awarded in January and July to the player who writes the most engaging posts. Awarded to players who are always online and posting. Awarded to players who continue to contribute to the running of the SIMM.
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #110 on: July 24, 2017, 10:11:24 pm »
Conference Room

What just happened? Jada scowled darkly; with the cold, heat, and the Outer Dark too, she didn't need this, whatever it was. As the others filed out, she approached the wall terminal 'Computer, is the universal translator functioning?' 'Universal translator is functioning within optimal parameters.' 'Thought so.'

She collected her raktajino, drained the mug in a few swigs then tossed it in the repli-bin, before joining Hawk and Mortier at the door, wondering what her task would be now.
Academy Chief of the Boat  (Personnel File)

Offline Julia Rellek

• Approved Applicants
  • Veteran Member
  • "There's coffee in the nebula!" - Janeway
  • Awarded to players on completion of 10 years service with the fleet. Awarded to players who guest star in another SIMM. Biannual Award for players who have created and played alts. Awarded to any player who has been with the Fleet 5 Years
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #111 on: July 24, 2017, 10:13:14 pm »
"Aye, Captain," K'lizh said, pushing himself up into a standing position. He felt rather disheartened that there seemed no way of pushing this universe out of their own. Just what he needed, the rest of his life wondering if this thing would suddenly have its very own Big Bang. Or maybe this universe was pushing against it, keeping it contained. Well, he wouldn't have joined Starfleet if he couldn't handle the Unknown. Naga at least was happy. Maybe he should learn from her example.

Bridge

He relieved a subordinate and resumed his station at Ops. He was more than happy to leave this delicate operation to the experts; all he had to do was monitor power levels and keep the captain informed. "When this was over, I'm going to need a stiff drink," he grumbled as he settled into his chair. The fur on the back of his neck was fluffing up, betraying his agitation.

[Bridge]

Julia followed K'Lizh out of the conference room and back onto the bridge. "When this is all over, Commander, the drinks are on me." She said with a smile as she moved to the center of the bridge.

Quote from: Solluk
[Bridge]

Julia looked up as the Vulcan left the bridge. "Nice job holding down the bridge." She said with a warm smile as he stepped into the lift.

"Somewhere, something incredible is waiting to be known." - Carl Sagan

Offline Ian Galloway

• Site Administrators
  • Amazing Member
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #112 on: July 25, 2017, 03:08:21 pm »
[Bridge]

Julia looked up as the Vulcan left the bridge. "Nice job holding down the bridge." She said with a warm smile as he stepped into the lift.

[Bridge]

Ian waited until the turbolift doors closed to speak to the Captain.

"Ma'am, I would like ta recommend Mister Solluk for commendation fer his exceptional initiative, clear thinkin', and bravery fer how he took action to pull the Vortex out of the hanger bay. At the time, the shuttle seemed determined ta explode and his actions prevented loss of life and serious damage ta the ship.

"Mister Solluk is consistently got the highest readiness with the Tigris and I am extremely lucky ta have him in my division. Furthermore, I think- urk."

As Ian stood to face the captain, he felt a sharp pain in his side, which caused him to stop talking mid sentence and wince as he gripped his side.

"Mo Chreach! I guess I should have given myself a larger dose."

He hissed as he smiled.

"Sorry Ma'am, when the ship decided to go sideways, I got a little airborne. I'll head ta sickbay while the boffins try ta make the engines shake our guest off our nacelle."

Offline Solluk

• Shadow Fleet Reserves
  • Legendary Member
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #113 on: July 25, 2017, 03:15:00 pm »

[Turbolift]

Solluk beamed at the praise of the Captain as he made his departure.  To others, his expression might have seemed one of mild satisfaction, but that was already ten times the typical Vulcan emotional response.

"Thank you, Captain," he managed to reply before the turbolift doors ended the exchange.

As he took the lift back to the shuttlebay, he reflected on the Lieutenant's prior words to him.  He wondered if the man had sensed some dissatisfaction within Solluk, or detected something in his demeanor that suggested that he was approaching a career decision. 

Now that Solluk wore his emotions so plainly, he'd have to get used to the idea that others might guess at his thoughts.  For humans, it was probably a natural and intuitive process they weren't even consciously aware of. 

But that was a concern for another time.

Arriving in the shuttlebay, he proceeded to the Tigris and began the pre-flight checks.  Whatever the command crew had planned, it might not go off without a hitch.  There was still the chance that some kind of EVA might be required, and a runabout was just the sort of all-purpose vehicle they might call upon if the need arose.

He intended to be ready.

Offline Julia Rellek

• Approved Applicants
  • Veteran Member
  • "There's coffee in the nebula!" - Janeway
  • Awarded to players on completion of 10 years service with the fleet. Awarded to players who guest star in another SIMM. Biannual Award for players who have created and played alts. Awarded to any player who has been with the Fleet 5 Years
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #114 on: July 26, 2017, 09:27:17 pm »
[Bridge]

Ian waited until the turbolift doors closed to speak to the Captain.

"Ma'am, I would like ta recommend Mister Solluk for commendation fer his exceptional initiative, clear thinkin', and bravery fer how he took action to pull the Vortex out of the hanger bay. At the time, the shuttle seemed determined ta explode and his actions prevented loss of life and serious damage ta the ship.

"Mister Solluk is consistently got the highest readiness with the Tigris and I am extremely lucky ta have him in my division. Furthermore, I think- urk."

As Ian stood to face the captain, he felt a sharp pain in his side, which caused him to stop talking mid sentence and wince as he gripped his side.

"Mo Chreach! I guess I should have given myself a larger dose."

He hissed as he smiled.

"Sorry Ma'am, when the ship decided to go sideways, I got a little airborne. I'll head ta sickbay while the boffins try ta make the engines shake our guest off our nacelle."

[Bridge]

Looking to Ian Julia nodded. "I can get behind that, Lieutenant. I'll happily do the honor." She sat down in her chair waiting with heavy anticipation for the engine room to confirm everything was ready. "Better go ahead and take the helm."

=/\="Bridge to engine room. Status report?"=/\=

"Somewhere, something incredible is waiting to be known." - Carl Sagan

Offline Ian Galloway

• Site Administrators
  • Amazing Member
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #115 on: July 26, 2017, 09:56:26 pm »
[Bridge]

Ian nodded in respect as the captain took the helm and headed for the tubolift.

"Sickbay."

As he exited, he began to steady himself to face Doctor Kintiss as he was still uneasy about the Selay. Ian was extremely open minded when it came to other species and had always found aliens fascinating.

"Steel yer backbone lad. Naga is a reptilian and I don't have a problem with her. I don't get what there is about Kintiss that is so unsettlin', but there's no place in Starfleet fer that sort of talk."

The doors wooshed open as he approached and he looked around for Kintiss.

"Hello? I'm lookin' fer someone ta put some ribs ta right."

Offline Nicholas Mortier

• Shadow Fleet Reserves
  • Probationer
  • It's tremendous
  • Awarded to any player who stuck with the site during the June 2017 Site Move Awarded to players who have been with the fleet for six months.
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #116 on: July 27, 2017, 12:03:39 am »
[Bridge]

Looking to Ian Julia nodded. "I can get behind that, Lieutenant. I'll happily do the honor." She sat down in her chair waiting with heavy anticipation for the engine room to confirm everything was ready. "Better go ahead and take the helm."

=/\="Bridge to engine room. Status report?"=/\=
[Main Engineering]

Nicholas used his slightly longer stride to overtake Jada and Hawk, despite his old age. There, he began to send smaller pulses through the nacelle to examine the mini-universe's properties.

=//\\= I've successfully run some tests, and concluded that the mini-universe is non-ferromagnetic. I'll now have to figure out when to reverse the charge of the pulses I send through the nacelles =//\\=

He then turned to the Aurelian cadet, seeking help there.
"Cadet... Pardon me, I didn't catch your name, could you help me out with these calculations?"

Offline Ngara V'kee

• Shadow Fleet Reserves
  • Probationer
  • Hi! I'm a Trekkie who enjoys RPing and fanfiction.
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #117 on: July 27, 2017, 12:51:42 am »
[Main Engineering]

Nicholas used his slightly longer stride to overtake Jada and Hawk, despite his old age. There, he began to send smaller pulses through the nacelle to examine the mini-universe's properties.

=//\\= I've successfully run some tests, and concluded that the mini-universe is non-ferromagnetic. I'll now have to figure out when to reverse the charge of the pulses I send through the nacelles =//\\=

He then turned to the Aurelian cadet, seeking help there.
"Cadet... Pardon me, I didn't catch your name, could you help me out with these calculations?"

[Main Engineering]

"Sure, my name is Ngara by the way, or Cadet V'kee if you prefer. So... what exactly are the calculations you need?" Said the young Aurelian, excited about being able to help out in some way.

She glided over to the console and activated the necessary programs to run the needed calculations. Looking over her shoulder, she asked the older Terran a question.

"Sorry if this seems... intrusive, but I have heard and seen that a lot of crew have not seen an Aurelian before, is that true?"

Although it was considered taboo on Earth, asking a lot of questions was seen as a form of friendliness and formality on Aurelia.

« Last Edit: July 27, 2017, 04:16:15 am by Ngara V'kee »

"We are always here, in our past and future lives."

-Aldous Vanderboom

Offline Jada

• Shadow Fleet Reserves
  • Honoured Member
  • #greenlivesmatter
  • Awarded to players who demonstrate consistent high quality posting skills. Awarded to any player who has been with the Fleet 2 Years Awarded in January and July to the player who writes the most engaging posts. Awarded to players who are always online and posting. Awarded to players who continue to contribute to the running of the SIMM.
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #118 on: July 27, 2017, 02:08:13 am »
Turbolift & Corridors

Following Mortier and Hawk, Jada remembered something and tapped her commbadge. =/\='Doctor Kintiss? I left my snake on your desk during the emergency. You may put her somewhere out of the way. I'll retrieve her when I get a chance, unless you need me to take her away sooner?'=/\= As Mortier powered ahead, she had the opportunity for a long private talk with Commander Hawk about her concerns. That was all she could do, she had to accept. She wasn't one to carry on a blood-feud, not about petty personal conflicts. Certainly traditional Thiratin methods of conflict resolution weren't going to help here.

Main Engineering

She looked around Engineering, wondering what her role here was. Commander Hawk was to coordinate between Bridge and Engineering; security and tactical issues were moot, so Jada figured her role was to serve as dubi (slave, or dogsbody) to the XO; 'What shall I do, sir?'
« Last Edit: July 27, 2017, 10:13:42 pm by Jada »
Academy Chief of the Boat  (Personnel File)

Offline James H. Hawk

• Shadow Fleet Reserves
  • Veteran Member
  • Awarded to any player who has been with the Fleet 2 Years Awarded to Players who have been with the Fleet for one year. Awarded to any player who stuck with the site during the June 2017 Site Move Awarded to players who go above and beyond what is asked of them.
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #119 on: July 27, 2017, 07:54:18 am »
Aurelian was it?

RPG-D Sci-Fi Avatars RPG Initiative RPGfix RPG Initiative Fodlan Chronicles