Author Topic: Group Counseling session (OPEN) INCOMPLETE  (Read 1307 times)

Offline Rayek trLhoell

• Site Administrators
  • Revered Member
  • I-jol au, e'lev
  • Awarded to any player who has been with the Fleet 5 Years Biannual Award for players who have created and played alts. Awarded to players on promotion to Lieutenant Commander or Chief Petty Officer Awarded to a player whom the FCO feels warrants recognition.
    • View Profile
    • Awards
Group Counseling session (OPEN) INCOMPLETE
« on: October 23, 2017, 03:25:47 pm »
(Place holder for an idea I had - where the crew can discuss openly with each other and an NPC counselor the stress of having been captured)
« Last Edit: January 16, 2019, 11:17:28 pm by Rayek trLhoell »

Mrht Heis'he ehl'ein qiuu
Rayek's BIO : Romulan male. 6'1" (1.8m)

Offline Catrin Maddux

• Shadow Fleet Reserves
  • Experienced Member
  • Don't you forget about me.
  • Awarded to the player who has greatly improved since the last awards ceremony. Awarded to any player who stuck with the site during the June 2017 Site Move Awarded to players who have been with the fleet for six months. Awarded to any player who donates money to help keep SF running Awarded in January 2017 to all active members.
    • View Profile
    • Awards
Re: Group Counseling session
« Reply #1 on: November 02, 2017, 01:05:25 pm »
[Deck 12 - Aft Crew Lounge]

Catrin carefully rearranged platters of snack foods for about the tenth time as she fretted about the room. She wasn't entirely sure anyone would show up for the open group session that had been arranged. It wasn't mandatory, even if it was a good idea. The lounge had been chosen as a comfortable, neutral area for everyone to meet. She was well aware not many people enjoyed a visit to her office, as pleasant as she tried to make it. Finally forcing herself to sit down, she waited for new arrivals.

The Counselor had read through the after action reports from the last mission. It had been traumatic and dangerous to all involved. She started to wonder just what had she gotten herself into, when she accepted the posting to the Challenger.

Tell me your troubles and doubts. Giving me everything inside and out...

Offline Rayek trLhoell

• Site Administrators
  • Revered Member
  • I-jol au, e'lev
  • Awarded to any player who has been with the Fleet 5 Years Biannual Award for players who have created and played alts. Awarded to players on promotion to Lieutenant Commander or Chief Petty Officer Awarded to a player whom the FCO feels warrants recognition.
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #2 on: November 02, 2017, 02:03:40 pm »
PO3 Rayek
[Deck 12 - hallway outside Aft Crew Lounge]

Rayek paused just outside the door sensor range of the Aft Crew Lounge, thereby preventing the lounge door from opening prematurely. 

He hadn't quite met Dr. Vaughan's requirements - though not through lack of trying.  The ships counselor position had been vacant until just recently thus delaying his counseling session by a week beyond Dr. Vaughan's initial order but he'd explained to the Dr the reasons and his intention to speak with her at the first available opportunity.  This group counseling session was it.  Rayek would have rather a private session but it seemed those had booked fast and the next available private session was not until next week.  Rayek doubted Dr. Vaughan would be that patient, despite his having followed through almost immediately with the telepathy training session with Dr. Stroreck that first week. 

Much to Rayek's chagrin, his mental shields in comparison to that of the Vulcan doctor's had been abysmal. Rayek suspected that his lack of needing them for the past 4 yrs while on sseikae-khoi had diminished his skills greatly- the result being that he would now be training with the Vulcan doctor for the next several weeks. Rayek had not been happy at that.

Nor was he happy now but that was irrelevant - he needed to do this.  With a resigned sigh, Rayek strode forward into the sensor range and entered the Lounge exuding confidence and control.

[Lounge]
Rayek glanced about the lounge area, noting with a quick eye that he seemed to be the first to arrive other than the counselor herself who was sitting down in an open seating area where  the chairs had been rearranged to form a loose circle.  He noted the platters of food set up to the side, obviously an attempt to make the session seem more like a social function than the therapy session it truly was.

Rayek strode over towards the counselor to introduce himself.  "Dr. Maddux"  He greeted with a slight nod.  "Petty Officer Rayek.  I left a message earlier for you to arrange a private session but as I require this for Dr. Vaughan's 'fit-for-duty' medical assessment, I thought perhaps this group session would be sufficient."

Offline Catrin Maddux

• Shadow Fleet Reserves
  • Experienced Member
  • Awarded to the player who has greatly improved since the last awards ceremony. Awarded to any player who stuck with the site during the June 2017 Site Move Awarded to players who have been with the fleet for six months. Awarded to any player who donates money to help keep SF running Awarded in January 2017 to all active members.
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #3 on: November 02, 2017, 02:52:49 pm »
PO3 Rayek

[Lounge]
Rayek glanced about the lounge area, noting with a quick eye that he seemed to be the first to arrive other than the counselor herself who was sitting down in an open seating area where  the chairs had been rearranged to form a loose circle.  He noted the platters of food set up to the side, obviously an attempt to make the session seem more like a social function than the therapy session it truly was.

Rayek strode over towards the counselor to introduce himself.  "Dr. Maddux"  He greeted with a slight nod.  "Petty Officer Rayek.  I left a message earlier for you to arrange a private session but as I require this for Dr. Vaughan's 'fit-for-duty' medical assessment, I thought perhaps this group session would be sufficient."

[Crew Lounge]

Catrin stood up quickly, relieved that someone had actually showed up. She smiled warmly, in welcome.

"I'm glad you decided to come. If you like, you can call me Catrin or Cat. I don't stand much on formality." She gestured around at the nearly empty room.

"If you'd like to make yourself comfortable, you have your choice of seats, and there are plenty of refreshments if you wish to partake. I'm not sure how many plan on joining us this evening. If you have something you'd like to talk about privately, it seems like now would be the time to do it. Or I can arrange a meeting later, if that would be more to your liking." She knew Vulcans weren't much for small talk, and didn't imagine Romulans liked it any better. Still, she would do her best to help any and all who came to her, even if her methods seemed unusual.

Offline Rayek trLhoell

• Site Administrators
  • Revered Member
  • I-jol au, e'lev
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #4 on: November 02, 2017, 06:23:04 pm »
PO3 Rayek
[Lounge]

"I'm glad you decided to come. If you like, you can call me Catrin or Cat. I don't stand much on formality." She gestured around at the nearly empty room.

"If you'd like to make yourself comfortable, you have your choice of seats, and there are plenty of refreshments if you wish to partake. I'm not sure how many plan on joining us this evening. If you have something you'd like to talk about privately, it seems like now would be the time to do it. Or I can arrange a meeting later, if that would be more to your liking." She knew Vulcans weren't much for small talk, and didn't imagine Romulans liked it any better. Still, she would do her best to help any and all who came to her, even if her methods seemed unusual.

Rayek looked over the seats assembled and sat at one that was almost right angles to the counselor, just because the seat afforded the best view of the rest of the room and it's entrances. His back would be towards the viewing windows and the amazing nebula they were approaching but that was of little concern to Rayek.

Once seated he looked to the counselor once again. 

Offline Catrin Maddux

• Shadow Fleet Reserves
  • Experienced Member
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #5 on: November 07, 2017, 04:39:01 pm »
PO3 Rayek
[Lounge]

Rayek looked over the seats assembled and sat at one that was almost right angles to the counselor, just because the seat afforded the best view of the rest of the room and it's entrances. His back would be towards the viewing windows and the amazing nebula they were approaching but that was of little concern to Rayek.

Once seated he looked to the counselor once again. 

Catrin folded her hands over her knee primly, as she looked over Rayek. He was particularly difficult to read, maybe a characteristic of his species, but little hints of emotion peeked out at her. She shrugged a shoulder, nonchalantly.

"Your level of participation, either here or privately is entirely up to you. I am not here to force you into anything you're uncomfortable doing. However, I cannot in good faith sign off on your file, if you choose to say nothing. You don't get a stamp and sent along merrily on your way just for showing up, PO Rayek."

The counselor may have been a gentle, soft spoken woman, but she took her job seriously. Many times, serious emotional trauma got bottled up, only to explode disastrously when least expected. Vulcans were a good example of this, with their uptight logical approach to everything. She didn't have much experience with Romulans, but she suspected it may be similar with them.

Offline Rayek trLhoell

• Site Administrators
  • Revered Member
  • I-jol au, e'lev
    • View Profile
    • Awards
Re: Group Counseling session (OPEN)
« Reply #6 on: November 07, 2017, 06:15:56 pm »
PO3 Rayek
[Lounge]

Rayek appraised the ginger-headed counselor a moment as she sat with her hands folded over her knee, before his dark eyes moved to look over the room.  His own posture was one of controlled alertness.  When he looked back he spoke, "Then counselor, please tell me - what it is that IS needed to get signed off?  It is not that I am CHOOSING to say nothing, but that there is little to say or that which could be said is already being taken care of so it is no longer an issue.  I suspect that Dr. Vaughan believes that a physical condition that she is treating me for, may also have affected me mentally or emotionally. But it has not, therefore I do not see the need to discuss it here."

Offline Catrin Maddux

• Shadow Fleet Reserves
  • Experienced Member
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #7 on: November 10, 2017, 04:39:13 pm »
[Lounge]

Cat held her hands out in front of her openly, partly in a gesture of surrender. It was not her intention to antagonize the Romulan crewman. He seemed irritated just to be attending.

"All I require is for you to share your experiences. Sometimes just talking through things with someone can help you through trauma you didn't know you had. And if as you said, there is absolutely nothing effecting you, there's no harm done either from a chat. I don't want to pry and try to tell you what you're feeling. I'm sure you're more than aware of what's going on in your own head."

She mentally evaluated Rayek, keeping her opinions to herself. Definitely reticent, emotionally withdrawn, and putting up at least a vestigial mental shield. I'm willing to bet some sort of telepath or at least highly rated in ESP. Not unknown in Vulcanoid species. She didn't push past his mental barriers for two reasons. One, he would have noticed which would have made him even more uncomfortable. The second being she found poking around in someone else's thoughts uninvited quite rude.

Offline Rayek trLhoell

• Site Administrators
  • Revered Member
  • I-jol au, e'lev
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #8 on: November 10, 2017, 08:14:58 pm »
PO3 Rayek
[Lounge]

'Share his experiences - that's what the doctor wanted.  Easier said than done, at least, in this setting' Rayek thought to himself.
"Forgive my bluntness Counselor , but my past experiences are something only highest security clearances will ever get an opportunity to see.  They are definitely not something to be shared in a group counselling session." Rayek tried to state this simply as a matter of fact, and not in condescending manner.

Of course he knew that answer wouldn't suffice, so he considered a moment before continueing.  "Though I suppose I could speak to only the most recent of experiences - those since joining Starfleet. That would be about 2 years ago."

Rayek alertly glanced over the room once more.  The room was all but empty but for them.  The 'Group Counseling' sign on the Lounge entrance likely turning away those that might otherwise have stopped in for drink or some social interaction.  It seemed to Rayek that he wasn't the only one adverse to open sharing, since he was the only one present on a vessel of over 500 crew.  He looked back to the counselor and offered a slight smile as he settled a bit more comfortably into his chair.

"My acceptance into Starfleet as you can imagine wasn't automatic. I was questioned and tested by all manner of professionals, and amateurs playing at professionals, to determine my goals and motivations.  It took nearly a year for my application to be accepted and only for the Enlisted route.  I spent the next two years at the Mars Academy, tailoring myself to Starfleet standards. I would like to say I graduated top of my class, given that 90% of what was being taught I already knew and had more than enough experience with to teach the course myself, but that would have required the instructors to grade in a non-biased manner." 

He paused a moment at this point, a slight frown making his forehead V stand out. He was saying too much.  It was never good to divulge things - they had a way of coming back and biting you on the ass. But opening up was what this counseling session was for.  He glanced about the room once more - ensuring that the room was still empty but for the two of them.  Inwardly, he wished he had his old Tal Shiar scanner hidden up his sleeve to check for listening devices before continuing on.  It would have made him feel slightly less vulnerable. After a moment he continued on though his voice unintentionally grew quieter, as if what he spoke was intended for just her.

"The USS Challenger is my first assignment and thus far I can count on one hand the individuals who have taken the time to introduce themselves to me civilly, that includes a one-on-one visit to the Captain - something that I suspect isn't standard practice for most Crewmen.  To date, I've yet to have interaction with my own Department Head.  Petty Officer Cleroux has been assuming the role of my supervisor in her place since I arrived. He tells me she down with the Urodelan flu."  Rayek's tone conveyed just how much he believed that.

RPG-D Sci-Fi Avatars RPG Initiative RPGfix RPG Initiative Fodlan Chronicles