S1 M8: "By the Light of Helaspont"

Started by Julia Rellek, April 04, 2017, 03:55:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ian Galloway

Quote from: S'Murr on April 05, 2017, 11:19:34 PM

[Holodeck 4]
S'Murr picked up the goggles and chuckled. "No worries, Ian," he said. "If I can't learn to fly, I'll still land on my feet." HA! Counter Earth-Cat Joke!

He tapped his combadge.

=/\="S'Murr to Sullek. Mr. Galloway and I are entering Holodeck 4 to try our hands and hang gliding. Care to join out little flock?"=/\=

He looked back at Ian and snapped the goggles over his eyes. "Shall we?"

[Holodeck 4]

Ian snorted at S'murr's deprecating joke and remembered again why he liked this Caitian.

"I'm lookin' forward ta this. And speakin' of Solluk. Ya ever seen a Vulcan smile? It was downright unsettlin'. Maybe not as much as Jada and her bloody viper, but certainly unexpected. He seems like a good sort if a bit different from the regular Vulcan. However, lead on McDuff. I can't wait ta see how long before ya end up tangled in knots in some obstacle."

Ian bowed mockingly and indicted that his companion should go first.

Julia Rellek

[Bridge]

Julia stepped out onto a bridge a buzz with activity. The Tempest had just taken their first few steps into a largely unexplored nebula. Before taking her seat she looked to the back of the bridge. "Naga, start getting those scans and partner with ops to launch the probes to extend our reach. Let's get a good look at whats out there."

After addressing science she took her seat. "You look good in red." She said to James with a slightly crooked grin. "In all seriousness, congrats on the new role. Well deserved."

"Somewhere, something incredible is waiting to be known." - Carl Sagan

James H. Hawk

[Chief Tactical Officer's Office -Several Hours Ago]

James stood in the middle of his office, or rather his formal office and just stared at it. He never thought he'd make it to Department Head, certainly not as quickly as he did and definitely didn't expect to ever become an XO, yet somehow here he was. He was standing in his old office one last time. Most of the shelves where he kept his things and his decorations, as few as they were had been removed leaving the office rather bland as he moved out to make way for his successor, an Andorian Lieutenant. He was sad to leave his department, which he had built from a bunch of fine men and women, most of whom never had met each other before nor had much experience to what he believed was an efficient, skilled and experienced department.

He had big shoes to fill. Will was a great XO and the whole crew would miss him. James knew the crew must have their doubts about him. He was only very young after all and not all that experienced. James even had his own doubts about himself. However, despite his insecurities James promised he would do his absolute best to execute his new duties and responsibilities well. After a few more minutes of sitting in his chair one last time, James decided to begin his shift.

[Bridge]

James silently and without much ceremony sat in the XO seat. He didn't quite feel like he should sit in the center seat yet. The first few hours of his shift were quiet as the Tempest approached the nebula they were tasked with exploring. The Helaspont nebula he thought he remembered it was called. James wasn't much for science missions but he had seen enough combat in the past year that he didn't mind it.

Quote from: Julia Rellek on April 06, 2017, 03:58:05 AM

[Bridge]

Julia stepped out onto a bridge a buzz with activity. The Tempest had just taken their first few steps into a largely unexplored nebula. Before taking her seat she looked to the back of the bridge. "Naga, start getting those scans and partner with ops to launch the probes to extend our reach. Let's get a good look at whats out there."

After addressing science she took her seat. "You look good in red." She said to James with a slightly crooked grin. "In all seriousness, congrats on the new role. Well deserved."

It took quite a bit for James to stay awake but eventually Julia stepped onto the bridge which was now much more lively than it was when he first took his chair.

"Thanks...captain," James responded with a nervous smile. He wasn't quite sure what to call Julia but he eventually went with the safe option and just called her Á¢â,¬Ëœcaptain.'

Solluk

Quote from: S'Murr on April 05, 2017, 11:19:34 PM

=/\="S'Murr to Sullek. Mr. Galloway and I are entering Holodeck 4 to try our hands and hang gliding. Care to join out little flock?"=/\=

[Main Shuttlebay]

Solluk was midway through the flight checklist when S'Murr's message came through the comms.  He paused and blinked in surprise.

His mind returned to the thought that fraternizing between officers and enlisted men was a somewhat rare occurrence.  It also occurred to him that this might be the sort of social networking that helped to get people promoted.  Then, on a more fundamental level, it occurred to him that operating a rickety unpowered atmospheric glider would be... fun.  Gliding had never become popular on Vulcan because of its thin atmosphere, but he had always wanted to try it.

He tapped his badge.

=/\="Solluk here.   I would be pleased to join you.  I shall arrive presently."=/\=

Minutes later, he arrived at the Holodeck wearing a Starfleet flight suit.

[Holodeck 4]

Solluk smiled as he entered the room, unknowingly making the sort of display that unnerved his Department Head.

"Thank you for inviting me," he said, "I've always wanted to try piloting a null-thrust vehicle.  One designed to stay in the air, that is.  I don't think emergency landing simulations count."

(tag)

My Primary Shadowfleet Character:

Ian Galloway

Quote from: Solluk on April 06, 2017, 05:43:56 PM

[Main Shuttlebay]

Solluk was midway through the flight checklist when S'Murr's message came through the comms.  He paused and blinked in surprise.

His mind returned to the thought that fraternizing between officers and enlisted men was a somewhat rare occurrence.  It also occurred to him that this might be the sort of social networking that helped to get people promoted.  Then, on a more fundamental level, it occurred to him that operating a rickety unpowered atmospheric glider would be... fun.  Gliding had never become popular on Vulcan because of its thin atmosphere, but he had always wanted to try it.

He tapped his badge.

=/\="Solluk here.   I would be pleased to join you.  I shall arrive presently."=/\=

Minutes later, he arrived at the Holodeck wearing a Starfleet flight suit.

[Holodeck 4]

Solluk smiled as he entered the room, unknowingly making the sort of display that unnerved his Department Head.

"Thank you for inviting me," he said, "I've always wanted to try piloting a null-thrust vehicle.  One designed to stay in the air, that is.  I don't think emergency landing simulations count."

(tag)

[Holodeck Four]

Ian looked up from helping S'Murr adjust his harness and nodded to Solluk.

"Computer. Add one additional glider and a pair of goggles."

As the computer responded to the command, Ian stepped over to help Solluk.

"Since neither of ya has done this before, I'll take point and go first. I suggest S'Murr goes next, and Solluk can take the drag. At least ya are a pilot. I'm sure this horse's arse." Ian chinned at the Caitian. "Is goin' ta need someone ta spot where he crashes."

Once the Vulcan was secure in his harness. Ian expertly snapped into his glider and moved to where he could start his run.

"It's nae a difficult thing ta do Lads, just use yer weight ta guide yer glider where ya want ta go. What's difficult, is ta do this with style! Now watch and learn!"

Ian then began to run toward the edge of the cliff with reckless abandon, which to the untrained eye, looked suicidal, but once he leaped off, the added speed gave him enough momentum for the thermal rising up off the cliff to take hold and cause the glider to rise. Just over the rush of the slight breeze, S'Murr and Solluk could hear Ian laughing maniacally, which was enough to give them both pause as to the wisdom of this whole endeavor.

S'Murr

[Holodeck 4]
(Torrey Pines, California)
S'Murr watched as Galloway, cackling like a mad-man, rose into the air as he flew slowly out over the ocean below.
"If clumsy humans can do it," he said to himself, "I should have no problem." With a shout and a roar he ran down the small platform and out over the empty air above the ocean far below. For a moment he was certain he had made an epic failure in judgement, but then he felt the thermal pushing him higher. He lean ed left, and the frail-looking wing banked to the left. Then he leaned right, and the glider banked to the right. Pulling back on the bar pulled the nose down, pushing ahead brought the nose back up.

Soon he was aware of maniacal laughter. A moment passed before he realized he was the source.

"Solluk!" he shouted. "This is amazing! Get up here!"

Ian Galloway

Quote from: S'Murr on April 06, 2017, 10:13:08 PM

[Holodeck 4]
(Torrey Pines, California)
S'Murr watched as Galloway, cackling like a mad-man, rose into the air as he flew slowly out over the ocean below.
"If clumsy humans can do it," he said to himself, "I should have no problem." With a shout and a roar he ran down the small platform and out over the empty air above the ocean far below. For a moment he was certain he had made an epic failure in judgement, but then he felt the thermal pushing him higher. He lean ed left, and the frail-looking wing banked to the left. Then he leaned right, and the glider banked to the right. Pulling back on the bar pulled the nose down, pushing ahead brought the nose back up.

Soon he was aware of maniacal laughter. A moment passed before he realized he was the source.

"Solluk!" he shouted. "This is amazing! Get up here!"

[Holodeck Four]

Ian had gotten a lot of lift from the thermal, enough that he could now risk looking back around to see how the others were doing. He watched with some trepidation as S'Murr made his take of run, but when he saw his friend gaining altitude, he relaxed.

"The little boogit survived, might make a pilot out of him yet!"

Ian shouted as he rolled his glider through 90 degrees from a bank to the left to a bank to the right so that he could stay within the thermals and spot Solluk's run.

"Alright now Laddie, yer turn, I know ya can do it."

Ian shouted down to the Vulcan and waited for him to start his run.

Julia Rellek

Quote from: James H. Hawk on April 06, 2017, 11:54:12 AM

[Chief Tactical Officer's Office -Several Hours Ago]

James stood in the middle of his office, or rather his formal office and just stared at it. He never thought he'd make it to Department Head, certainly not as quickly as he did and definitely didn't expect to ever become an XO, yet somehow here he was. He was standing in his old office one last time. Most of the shelves where he kept his things and his decorations, as few as they were had been removed leaving the office rather bland as he moved out to make way for his successor, an Andorian Lieutenant. He was sad to leave his department, which he had built from a bunch of fine men and women, most of whom never had met each other before nor had much experience to what he believed was an efficient, skilled and experienced department.

He had big shoes to fill. Will was a great XO and the whole crew would miss him. James knew the crew must have their doubts about him. He was only very young after all and not all that experienced. James even had his own doubts about himself. However, despite his insecurities James promised he would do his absolute best to execute his new duties and responsibilities well. After a few more minutes of sitting in his chair one last time, James decided to begin his shift.

[Bridge]

James silently and without much ceremony sat in the XO seat. He didn't quite feel like he should sit in the center seat yet. The first few hours of his shift were quiet as the Tempest approached the nebula they were tasked with exploring. The Helaspont nebula he thought he remembered it was called. James wasn't much for science missions but he had seen enough combat in the past year that he didn't mind it.

It took quite a bit for James to stay awake but eventually Julia stepped onto the bridge which was now much more lively than it was when he first took his chair.

"Thanks...captain," James responded with a nervous smile. He wasn't quite sure what to call Julia but he eventually went with the safe option and just called her Á¢â,¬Ëœcaptain.'

[Bridge]

Julia smiled. "You're welcome. Now it's time to get to work." She said with a smile as she reached to the empty chair to her left and picked up a PADD. Passing the PADD to James she began to summarize the contents. "Helaspont Nebula. A place on the map that we've all seen but no one has ever gotten a good look at. You'll find everything we've got on the nebula - which isnt much and most of which is outdated. Stellar cartography will be working overtime this week." She said with a look of excitement.

"Somewhere, something incredible is waiting to be known." - Carl Sagan

Solluk

[Holodeck - Hang-Glider Simulation]

Solluk watched as his department head launched himself off the cliff, followed by his roommate.  As he observed them, he could understand the tendency of primitive people to assign unusual circumstances to invisible Gods.  Without any understanding of air currents, thermal properties, and airfoil dynamics, he would be hard pressed to see this as anything other than a deity reaching out to keep these adventurers aloft.  Or perhaps he'd see the glider as an enchanted artifact, defying all laws of mortal men.

Even though he knew better, it was still amazing and exhilarating to watch.

And then they called out their encouragement.

And so it was his turn.

He did what he'd seen them do.  He ran, and heaved himself towards oblivion.

This was only a simulation, and he could not get hurt here.  But illogically, he still felt the adrenaline thrill of real danger.  He held the support in a white-knuckled grip and grimaced momentarily as the primitive part of his brain expected him to fall.

But he did not fall.  The grimace became a grin, as he experimentally shifted his weight one way, and then the other.

He was flying.  Without power.

Well... gliding.  Which was really more like falling slowly.  But he was not in the mood to nitpick.

"This is incredible," he called out, "I never believed that flying so slowly could be so invigorating!"

He wondered how long they could keep this up... and he wondered what the landing would be like.

(tag)

My Primary Shadowfleet Character:

Naga Rylu

Quote from: Julia Rellek on April 06, 2017, 03:58:05 AM

[Bridge]

[Bridge, Science Station]

"Yes, Captain."  Naga replied, claws clicking over the keys to follow orders.  Lateral Arrays ready to be launched, calibrating forward scanners, and running one last debugging scan on her new survey program.  "K'Lizh, could you..."  Oh right, he wasn't there right now. She pressed the Comm.  =^Lieutenant K'lizh, your presence is requested on the bridge.^=

K'lizh was a really good friend.  He and Shikh were getting along well, and she was beginning to open up to and integrating with some of the other children on the ship, as well as partaking in digital lessons.  She was recovering better than Naga had, and was even learning how to better interact with other races. 

Ian Galloway

Quote from: Solluk on April 07, 2017, 01:29:26 AM

[Holodeck - Hang-Glider Simulation]

Solluk watched as his department head launched himself off the cliff, followed by his roommate.  As he observed them, he could understand the tendency of primitive people to assign unusual circumstances to invisible Gods.  Without any understanding of air currents, thermal properties, and airfoil dynamics, he would be hard pressed to see this as anything other than a deity reaching out to keep these adventurers aloft.  Or perhaps he'd see the glider as an enchanted artifact, defying all laws of mortal men.

Even though he knew better, it was still amazing and exhilarating to watch.

And then they called out their encouragement.

And so it was his turn.

He did what he'd seen them do.  He ran, and heaved himself towards oblivion.

This was only a simulation, and he could not get hurt here.  But illogically, he still felt the adrenaline thrill of real danger.  He held the support in a white-knuckled grip and grimaced momentarily as the primitive part of his brain expected him to fall.

But he did not fall.  The grimace became a grin, as he experimentally shifted his weight one way, and then the other.

He was flying.  Without power.

Well... gliding.  Which was really more like falling slowly.  But he was not in the mood to nitpick.

"This is incredible," he called out, "I never believed that flying so slowly could be so invigorating!"

He wondered how long they could keep this up... and he wondered what the landing would be like.

(tag)

[Holodeck four - soaring in a hang glider]

Ian had always had a natural feel for anything to do with flying and managed to take advantage of the thermals to soar to over three thousand feet. As he banked and swooped above the Pacific Ocean, he periodically glanced at his companions, especially S'Murr.

"Can there be anything more amazin' than flyin'?"

He shouted above the wind rushing over him.

"I wonder if there is a ship record fer how long aloft?"

Ian looked down and to his left to recheck on S'Murr and smiled as he saw he was still flying.

"He's doin' better than I'd thought he'd do."

Catching another thermal, he climbed higher and began to wonder if there was an altitude record.

Klizh

Quote from: Naga Rylu on April 07, 2017, 02:23:42 AM

[Bridge, Science Station]

"Yes, Captain."  Naga replied, claws clicking over the keys to follow orders.  Lateral Arrays ready to be launched, calibrating forward scanners, and running one last debugging scan on her new survey program.  "K'Lizh, could you..."  Oh right, he wasn't there right now. She pressed the Comm.  =^Lieutenant K'lizh, your presence is requested on the bridge.^=

K'lizh was a really good friend.  He and Shikh were getting along well, and she was beginning to open up to and integrating with some of the other children on the ship, as well as partaking in digital lessons.  She was recovering better than Naga had, and was even learning how to better interact with other races.

Deck 11
K'lizh wavered. On the one hand, he was off-duty and his next shift didn't begin until the next morning. On the other, he was growing bored just standing still like this. He knew Naga wouldn't call him unless it was important, and anyway he enjoyed her company. It sounded preferable to letting people he barely knew ogle him for another half-hour. Reaching for his commbadge, he tapped it with his thumb. =/\=K'lizh here. I'll be there soon. Give me a bit to get dressed. Out.=/\=

Bridge
About fifteen minutes later he emerged from the turbolift, zipping up his uniform jacket. He had eschewed his boots for this occasion. While Caitians were not required to wear footwear in uniform, he had up until this point chosen to wear boots to maintain his professional image. He finally felt comfortable and confident enough to not have to go the extra mile trying to impress. He had done good work since coming aboard this ship, work to be proud of when he went home. He trod over to his Gorn companion and offered her a nod in greeting. "What do you need?"

"Here is the blackness of space, the myriad stars gleaming like diamond dust or, as some people would say, like great balls of exploding hydrogen a very long way off. But then, some people would say anything." - Terry Pratchett

Jada

[Deck 11]

As the art class broke up, Jada considered her sketch in pencils of Lieutenant K'lizh. True to her roots, she'd focused on physical aspects, emphasised Caitian poise and speed and musculature, giving the Chief of Operations a predatory, pantherish air. She'd expected it would be rubbish, but the teacher had made appreciative noises. 'Not bad.' she decided in the end, 'Shame about the ears.' She packed up her sheet and pencils, then got out of the studio as fast as she could. She suspected the teacher was going to invite her to be the next life model, demonstrating her athletic physique, tattoos, and colouration as an interesting project for the class. Although she was comfortable being near-naked and proud of her body, she knew she couldn't sit still that long doing nothing, and especially couldn't do so naked with her current orientation. Maybe later.

[Corridors]

The ship was on a routine scientific survey mission, and there were no ongoing security issues. The vulnerabilities exploited by the Tzenkethi and Shadow Tempest had long since been patched. This left Security with quiet shifts and no overtime duties, but Jada kept her team busy and prepared with drills and exercises, though nothing she didn't do herself.

But since Starfleet didn't go in for hand-to-hand weaponry like Orions and Klingons, Jada felt her own weapon skills were in danger of slipping. Well, hardly slipping, but she wanted to keep them up. More, she feared it put Starfleet at a disadvantage when pirates pulled vibroknives, Klingons drew bat'leths, or Borg shielded against phasers. She'd seen the carnage her own alternate had wreaked on a team with only a dancerknife. On a purely personal note, she wanted to show that snake-hating Galloway that phasers weren't the be-all and end-all of battle. Maybe she could propose weaponry classes to Commander Hawk? He was XO now, and had to have some clout. She'd need to find some other dedicated martial artists to help instruct though. That Vulcan, Solluk, she could ask him. Did he know the lirpa? 'Computer, locate Crewman Solluk.'

'Crewman Solluk is in Holodeck 4.'

'Anyone with him?'

'Lieutenant Galloway and Crewman S'Murr.'

'...Never mind.'

[Ten Forward]

Jada had come to Ten Forward for dinner. Joining her was Snake, now out from under her shirt and in a closed carry tank, both her concession to Starfleet regulation (how was she to know that down her top wasn't adequate containment?) and her defiance against it. Every so often, Jada tossed a piece of meat in for the serpent, which she leapt and caught with her fangs.

Academy Chief of the Boat  (Personnel File)

Kintiss

[Sickbay]

Kintiss was shedding, much to his dismay. Shedding was a problem, especially in a sterile environment like Sickbay, where contamination could cause severe problems with surgeries. Already, his old skin was flaking off, leaving patches of his raw, slightly brighter green skin exposed to the air.

While he was very much aware he couldn't control when the process started, but he had ways of managing it. Selay had been shedding for centuries, and his people had developed many methods for controlling the severity of their shedding. Personally, he preferred the Lathhik spray. It was a slightly acidic formula, developed long ago by certain forward-thinking members of his kind, that dissolved the dead skin cells, meaning he didn't have to leave patches of his old skin all over the floor for some hapless patient to stumble upon.

Benjamin Bennet

[mess hall]

Bandit walked into the mess hall. There was a few crew members in the mess hall. He walked to the replicator. He ordered a grape fruit, with a glass of orange juice, scramble eggs and side order of toast.

He grabbed the tray with his pale hands. He felt people where staring at him. Felt they were talking behind his back. He turned to see everyone was busy away choking down. Or were they? His paranoia of people talking behind his back is bad as an Andoruan.

As he was crossing the room, he felt they were looking at him. He stopped to look. Nothing. It had to be his imagination. They were Starfleet crew. But he felt scared.

Sitting down with his back against the wall. Keep his cybernetic eyes on the other crew member who were eating. Now let them try steal glances at the freak,

"DO IT NOW!"

Dââ,¬â,,¢Vid is the parent account

🡱 🡳

RPG-D Sci-Fi Avatars RPG Initiative RPGfix RPG Initiative Fodlan Chronicles

Star Trek and all related marks, logos and characters are solely owned by CBS Studios Inc. This fan production is not endorsed by, sponsored by, nor affiliated with CBS, Paramount Pictures, or any other Star Trek franchise, and is a non-commercial fan-made film intended for recreational use. No commercial exhibition or distribution is permitted. No alleged independent rights will be asserted against CBS or Paramount Pictures.