Can We Appreciate this AWESOME Joel Harlow Alien Design from Beyond

Started by Constance Lafayette, March 16, 2017, 02:30:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Constance Lafayette

Holy cow. Read this article (~Link~) on how they did the alien designs. The guy got an oscar nomination for his work on it.
Here is another article on it: ~Link~

A lot of this was done with pratical effects too:
(sorry in advance for the page stretching- it's worth it)

Rear Admiral Constance Lafayette
Commanding Officer, USS Athena
Academy Command Officer Instructor

Savar Dorran

I'm a sucker for practical effects, love 'em to the hilt when they're done like this.

Incredible work.

Dylan Torngate

Webmaster and Administrator
Shadow Fleet

Solluk

My Primary Shadowfleet Character:

Jada

I don't know, they're way too realistic, to the point of being creepy. I mean, they're brilliant, they just freak me out.  :o

There's also a sense of being weird for the sake of being weird, without being natural or feasible. An enormous coiled shell hanging from the back of the head would be impractically heavy, and what use are claws coming out of the back of the head?

Well, at least people can no longer complain Star Trek aliens only have bits of junk stuck to their foreheads.

Academy Chief of the Boat  (Personnel File)

D'Vid

Yeah but the poor actors have to sit there for long hours. Its not comfortable. They got to be still. Have a straw in their mouth etc. It long and tiring but it must be fun when you see yourself as an alien.

A way to experience it. Is get masks of things and put them on. Or make your crazy one. and look in the mirror.

I once made a tin foil. It was poorly made. But I looked in the mirror and ALLOW the mask effect my spirit and emotions. I felt I was a infant and very unsure who I was seeing. I allowed myself to be taken over by the mask and develop a character and you can a new sense of who you are.

That is why I like acting. You get to know yourself and things. Hard to explain but its real fun. Something I encourage you all to give a try.

Parent account is D'Vid to contact me. Thanks

Constance Lafayette

I mean... there were paid quite well to be in those costumes for that long.

And the shell on the head- I mean if she was from an aquatic society it might justify that a bit.

Rear Admiral Constance Lafayette
Commanding Officer, USS Athena
Academy Command Officer Instructor

D'Vid

But think how cool it is to be an actor. I know because I was in certain student films and what they did to me. Its just fun experience.

Quote from: Constance Lafayette on March 19, 2017, 05:24:15 AM

I mean... there were paid quite well to be in those costumes for that long.

And the shell on the head- I mean if she was from an aquatic society it might justify that a bit.

Parent account is D'Vid to contact me. Thanks

Naira

Quote from: D'Vid on March 16, 2017, 06:59:56 AM

Yeah but the poor actors have to sit there for long hours. Its not comfortable. They got to be still. Have a straw in their mouth etc. It long and tiring but it must be fun when you see yourself as an alien.

A way to experience it. Is get masks of things and put them on. Or make your crazy one. and look in the mirror.

I once made a tin foil. It was poorly made. But I looked in the mirror and ALLOW the mask effect my spirit and emotions. I felt I was a infant and very unsure who I was seeing. I allowed myself to be taken over by the mask and develop a character and you can a new sense of who you are.

That is why I like acting. You get to know yourself and things. Hard to explain but its real fun. Something I encourage you all to give a try.

Back when I was in college I made a series of large and very complex masks, and had some made on me, that would require the wearer to sit for over an hour (sometimes more) with straws up their nose and/or mouth in order to breath. Personally, while sitting there for that long could get a bit boring at times, I really enjoyed the experience. Oftentimes I would doze off and try to forget about the fact I was sitting in a room full of people while being half naked and covered in massive amounts of personal lubricant.

🡱 🡳

RPG-D Sci-Fi Avatars RPG Initiative RPGfix RPG Initiative Fodlan Chronicles

Star Trek and all related marks, logos and characters are solely owned by CBS Studios Inc. This fan production is not endorsed by, sponsored by, nor affiliated with CBS, Paramount Pictures, or any other Star Trek franchise, and is a non-commercial fan-made film intended for recreational use. No commercial exhibition or distribution is permitted. No alleged independent rights will be asserted against CBS or Paramount Pictures.