Leadership Training - (Leo and Carter)

Started by Leonard T. Scott, February 25, 2017, 06:36:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Leonard T. Scott

Note: This starts after the events of Episode 1.7.

[Personal Quarters]

Leo was sitting in his room working on the flight department's after action report. Since he'd become a department head after Lt. T'Vor's departure and reassignment, he had struggled a bit getting accustomed to his new role.

"Computer, continue log. It was then that the pirates boarded the vessel we found ourselves on. I picked up the nearest weapon and began to defend both Counseler Maddux and Ms. Morgaine. Computer, pause."

He couldn't quite put into words how else to describe the combat he had taken part in.

=/\="Scott to Commander Carter. Sir, I have something I would like to discuss with you. Could you please meet me in my quarters?"=/\=

Athena Second Officer. Feel free to message me if have any issues that need addressing.
Flight Control Instructor
"Keyboard. How quaint." - Captain Montgomery Scott

James Carter

Quote from: Leonard T. Scott on February 25, 2017, 06:36:46 AM

Note: This starts after the events of Episode 1.7.

[Personal Quarters]

Leo was sitting in his room working on the flight department's after action report. Since he'd become a department head after Lt. T'Vor's departure and reassignment, he had struggled a bit getting accustomed to his new role.

"Computer, continue log. It was then that the pirates boarded the vessel we found ourselves on. I picked up the nearest weapon and began to defend both Counseler Maddux and Ms. Morgaine. Computer, pause."

He couldn't quite put into words how else to describe the combat he had taken part in.

=/\="Scott to Commander Carter. Sir, I have something I would like to discuss with you. Could you please meet me in my quarters?"=/\=

[XO's Quarter]

James had just finished moving back into the Athena. It was strange, it felt like both yesterday and a lifetime ago since he'd been on the ship. Most of his things had been taken by his family, at least most of his stuff from his quarters had been taken at least. The room was mostly bare still since he hadn't gotten any of his things back yet. That's when he heard the familiar chirp of his comm badge in the distance. He never thought he would have missed that noise that always haunted him in his dreams. He quickly shot over to the badge which had been nestled on his night stand and tapped it to respond. =/\= Of course. I'll be there in a few moments. =/\= With that he was off towards Scott's quarters.

[Scott's Quarters]

James had finished putting on his black tie on over his normal white shirt and black pants as he made his way to the man's quarters. As he came to the outside of the door he pressed the buzzer and spoke up. "Mr. Scott? May I come in?" The man asked placing his hands in his pockets.

Leonard T. Scott

Quote from: James Carter on February 25, 2017, 06:58:42 AM

[XO's Quarter]

James had just finished moving back into the Athena. It was strange, it felt like both yesterday and a lifetime ago since he'd been on the ship. Most of his things had been taken by his family, at least most of his stuff from his quarters had been taken at least. The room was mostly bare still since he hadn't gotten any of his things back yet. That's when he heard the familiar chirp of his comm badge in the distance. He never thought he would have missed that noise that always haunted him in his dreams. He quickly shot over to the badge which had been nestled on his night stand and tapped it to respond. =/\= Of course. I'll be there in a few moments. =/\= With that he was off towards Scott's quarters.

[Scott's Quarters]

James had finished putting on his black tie on over his normal white shirt and black pants as he made his way to the man's quarters. As he came to the outside of the door he pressed the buzzer and spoke up. "Mr. Scott? May I come in?" The man asked placing his hands in his pockets.

[Leo's Quarters]

"Please, come in sir," Leo said. "I'm having a bit of a hard time working on this latest after action. I'm not entirely sure how to put in words the action part of the combat."

He knew that he needed help. It wasn't something that pride would prevent him from getting it. He wanted to begin advancing beyond his current position, so since he figured the Captain would be too busy, he figured Carter would love the opportunity to mentor him so to speak.

Athena Second Officer. Feel free to message me if have any issues that need addressing.

James Carter

Quote from: Leonard T. Scott on February 25, 2017, 02:07:46 PM

[Leo's Quarters]

"Please, come in sir," Leo said. "I'm having a bit of a hard time working on this latest after action. I'm not entirely sure how to put in words the action part of the combat."

He knew that he needed help. It wasn't something that pride would prevent him from getting it. He wanted to begin advancing beyond his current position, so since he figured the Captain would be too busy, he figured Carter would love the opportunity to mentor him so to speak.

[Leo's Quarter]

James gave a warm smile as he quietly entered the room and listened to Leonard speak. "Please, I'm off duty. Call me James. As for the after action report, it's best not to over think it. Just like the rest of command duties there's no singular way to do things. The captain and I have VERY different command styles. But neither of us do things wrong. As a matter of fact the distinctions in styles is why Starfleet is so formidable. Personally I just kind of record my various thoughts, play them back, and then I distill that down with all the important things into one cohesive report." Carter moved to lean against the wall while he spoke quickly crossing his arms. "Is it just the report you want help with?" James asked honestly.

Leonard T. Scott

Quote from: James Carter on February 25, 2017, 09:16:03 PM

[Leo's Quarter]

James gave a warm smile as he quietly entered the room and listened to Leonard speak. "Please, I'm off duty. Call me James. As for the after action report, it's best not to over think it. Just like the rest of command duties there's no singular way to do things. The captain and I have VERY different command styles. But neither of us do things wrong. As a matter of fact the distinctions in styles is why Starfleet is so formidable. Personally I just kind of record my various thoughts, play them back, and then I distill that down with all the important things into one cohesive report." Carter moved to lean against the wall while he spoke quickly crossing his arms. "Is it just the report you want help with?" James asked honestly.

[Leo's Quarter]

"Well, I would like to advance a bit further," Leo began. "During the pirate attack, I saw Cadet White having a hard time. I did the best I could to encourage him, but I would like advice on how to be a better leader."

Leo hoped he wasn't coming off as too needy, but from the sound of James' voice, he seemed almost eager to help out.

"In short, I would like to have some kind of mentorship thing. I like Cap fine, but her style doesn't quite suit my personality. And Dylan, well, you know he'd rather be tinkering with warp cores than do something like this. So, I came to the logical conclusion to ask you."

James Carter

Quote from: Leonard T. Scott on February 25, 2017, 09:25:02 PM

[Leo's Quarter]

"Well, I would like to advance a bit further," Leo began. "During the pirate attack, I saw Cadet White having a hard time. I did the best I could to encourage him, but I would like advice on how to be a better leader."

Leo hoped he wasn't coming off as too needy, but from the sound of James' voice, he seemed almost eager to help out.

"In short, I would like to have some kind of mentorship thing. I like Cap fine, but her style doesn't quite suit my personality. And Dylan, well, you know he'd rather be tinkering with warp cores than do something like this. So, I came to the logical conclusion to ask you."

[Leo's Quarters]

James flashed a smile and offered a small nod before replying. "I see. I think you're making a good choice. But I will say, no matter how much training you get...I don't think anyone is ever ready to be in command. I mean look at me, when I took command of an away team I got myself blown up." He joked honestly. "You'll have to prepare yourself for a lot of boring paperwork as well." He paused a brief moment thinking. "Have you talked to Ms. Maddux about this? Take it from me mate, it's always worth running this kind of thing by them." Carter asked. He knew the positions Leonard was in could be tricky when dealing with a significant other.

Leonard T. Scott

Quote from: James Carter on February 25, 2017, 11:23:43 PM

[Leo's Quarters]

James flashed a smile and offered a small nod before replying. "I see. I think you're making a good choice. But I will say, no matter how much training you get...I don't think anyone is ever ready to be in command. I mean look at me, when I took command of an away team I got myself blown up." He joked honestly. "You'll have to prepare yourself for a lot of boring paperwork as well." He paused a brief moment thinking. "Have you talked to Ms. Maddux about this? Take it from me mate, it's always worth running this kind of thing by them." Carter asked. He knew the positions Leonard was in could be tricky when dealing with a significant other.

[Leo's Quarters]

"I have talked to her briefly about it," Leo started, "and for the most part she's supportive. She's just worried that if I get offered a command position elsewhere, we may have to be a part from each other for a while. I've reassured her that I wouldn't do anything to jeopardize our relationship."

He winced a little at the thought of having to leave Cat for any amount of time.

"I'm sure I could get used to the paperwork. I just don't want a rash decision to prove fatal. I know it is a part of Starfleet, but if you'll recall, I was pretty distraught when I broke Deacon's clavicle."

He chuckled a bit nervously at that last part to try a throw off the fact that he still thought of that.

James Carter

Quote from: Leonard T. Scott on February 26, 2017, 12:09:36 AM

[Leo's Quarters]

"I have talked to her briefly about it," Leo started, "and for the most part she's supportive. She's just worried that if I get offered a command position elsewhere, we may have to be a part from each other for a while. I've reassured her that I wouldn't do anything to jeopardize our relationship."

He winced a little at the thought of having to leave Cat for any amount of time.

"I'm sure I could get used to the paperwork. I just don't want a rash decision to prove fatal. I know it is a part of Starfleet, but if you'll recall, I was pretty distraught when I broke Deacon's clavicle."

He chuckled a bit nervously at that last part to try a throw off the fact that he still thought of that.

[Leo's Quarters]

James smiled. "Good. It's not an easy thing to deal with trust me. But Starfleet is usually pretty good about letting people stay together. If it comes to it I'll happily pull some strings with command to make sure the two of you stay together." The man replied with a genuine smile on his face. "I think we should start with this; if it comes to it the paperwork comes second. The crew always come first, no matter what they need you should be there. If they call you, you go. Even if it means you have to stay in your office hours after your shift ends to finish any paperwork you have...it doesn't matter."

Leonard T. Scott

Quote from: James Carter on February 26, 2017, 02:59:59 AM

[Leo's Quarters]

James smiled. "Good. It's not an easy thing to deal with trust me. But Starfleet is usually pretty good about letting people stay together. If it comes to it I'll happily pull some strings with command to make sure the two of you stay together." The man replied with a genuine smile on his face. "I think we should start with this; if it comes to it the paperwork comes second. The crew always come first, no matter what they need you should be there. If they call you, you go. Even if it means you have to stay in your office hours after your shift ends to finish any paperwork you have...it doesn't matter."

[Leo's Quarters]

"Thank you, James," Leo replied. "One of the ancient movies I like has taught me with great power comes great responsibility. I know we're going to suffer losses, but we all know what we signed up for. I just hope that I don't get to wrapped up in overthinking that I become useless."

He paused a bit letting huge words hang in the air a bit.

"I would like to continue these meetings every so often, if you don't mind. I could really use the advice and guidance."

He say back a bit waiting on the response.

James Carter

Quote from: Leonard T. Scott on February 26, 2017, 05:59:00 AM

[Leo's Quarters]

"Thank you, James," Leo replied. "One of the ancient movies I like has taught me with great power comes great responsibility. I know we're going to suffer losses, but we all know what we signed up for. I just hope that I don't get to wrapped up in overthinking that I become useless."

He paused a bit letting huge words hang in the air a bit.

"I would like to continue these meetings every so often, if you don't mind. I could really use the advice and guidance."

He say back a bit waiting on the response.

[Leo's Quarters]

"It's easy to get caught up overthinking things. I remember the first time I had to take command of a ship, I nearly got everyone killed. Granted, it was before I was with Starfleet and I didn't really have training for command of a ship but it still happened. Problem is, you try to think about overthinking things and then you start overthinking your overthinking and the next thing you know you're face to face with multiple pirate ships." James replied reminiscing about his past for a brief moment. "Of course we can continue this. It'd be an absolute pleasure to help out, plus it helps me escape the monotony that can be my job."

🡱 🡳

RPG-D Sci-Fi Avatars RPG Initiative RPGfix RPG Initiative Fodlan Chronicles

Star Trek and all related marks, logos and characters are solely owned by CBS Studios Inc. This fan production is not endorsed by, sponsored by, nor affiliated with CBS, Paramount Pictures, or any other Star Trek franchise, and is a non-commercial fan-made production intended for recreational use. No commercial exhibition or distribution is permitted. No alleged independent rights will be asserted against CBS or Paramount Pictures.