Author Topic: Hannah Emilia Peeters - Reporting in February 18, 2017  (Read 1317 times)

Offline Hannah Peeters

• Shadow Fleet Reserves
  • Applicant
  • Awarded to players who have been with the fleet for six months.
    • View Profile
    • Awards
Hannah Emilia Peeters - Reporting in February 18, 2017
« on: February 18, 2017, 01:08:18 pm »
Character Details

Character Name: Hannah Emilia Peeters
Character Age: 23
Character DOB: November 23, 2372
Character Image:
Face claim: Sarah Michelle Gellar
Character Species: Human
Character Family:
  • Kurt Johannes Peeters (Father, deceased 2381)
  • Irene Elena Smet (Maternal Aunt)
  • No surviving grandparents, as far as she knows. Not a lot is known about the rest of the extended family, either.

Character Bio:
Captain Kurt J. Peeters was granted command of the USS Galileo, an Oberth class Federation science vessel with a crew compliment of about 80, in the summer of 2372. He was then 42 years old. His name had only just been cleared after the quite lengthy investigation of an unfortunate incident involving the deaths of 8 crewmembers during an away mission under his command; it had taken Headquarters so long to make a decision that he'd almost given up on the idea of ever going into space again. So when the assignment finally came, it came quite unexpectedly, and at quite an inconvenient moment. His wife Teri was just 3 months pregnant at the time.

On the one hand, he absolutely didn't want to leave his pregnant wife behind while he took off on a deep space science mission, knowing full well that she, too, was committed to Starfleet and a born explorer. On the other hand, this assignment was all he could ever have hoped for, especially given his somewhat troubled recent past. He knew he'd regret it for the rest of his life if he had to let it go. So after some lengthy discussion with his wife, he decided to do neither. He took on an extra crewman as a childcare provider, enlisted his wife as the ship's nurse, and took his whole family along for the ride. Starfleet Command declared both of them nuts: such a small vessel obviously didn't have the facilities to provide a growing child with everything she needed, and she'd be the only child around. But nobody really tried to stop Captain Peeters. Hannah Peeters was born aboard ship, a little less than 6 months after takeoff.

After that, Captain Peeters and his wife took their daughter along on all their missions, no questions asked. By the time the kid was three years old, she was pretty much considered a fixture on the USS Galileo, and as she grew older, the girl herself seemed to perceive the ship as her home. The Peeters' briefly contemplated leaving her in the care of Teri's sister Irene at the age of six, so she could go to primary, then secondary school on Earth. To their mild surprise, they were met with vehement protests from Hannah herself. The girl maintained that she could get a proper education on the Galileo, and to prove her point, she talked various members of the Galileo's crew into teaching her within a matter of weeks. So she stayed. In short order, she grew into a precocious pre-teen, who would have been generally seen as just another crewmember, if it weren't for the fact that she spent most of her time studying. She was a loner, but not an unhappy one.

Despite her becoming good friends with some of the crew along the way, her father was every bit as much her Captain as he was everyone else's. He insisted strongly on her proper observation of every Starfleet protocol he could think of. Outside the walls of the Captain's enlarged family quarters, she and her mother addressed him as ‘sir' at all times, just like everyone else did. As Hannah grew up, he also made it very clear to her that her presence on the ship was conditioned upon her continued adherence to orders and to protocol. So Hannah became a stickler for Starfleet rules long before she came even close to joining the Academy.

Hannah greatly admired her father. He was her bright and shining role model. From a very young age, she had been determined to once become a scientist and a Captain, just like he was. Those plans would dramatically alter, however, just after her ninth birthday.

In July of 2381, the Galileo was involved in a freak accident during the charting and exploration of a never-before-seen spatial anomaly on the outskirts of the Badlands. For reasons that still haven't been entirely clarified to this day, on July 26, 2381, the Galileo sustained heavy damage and multiple casualties during an energy discharge from the anomaly that the ship's shields were woefully unequiped to compensate for. The ship was left adrift in space with weapons, transporters, and communications systems off line. About a fifth of the crew died instantly when the energy discharge hit. Among those lost was Captain Kurt Peeters, aged 51. 

At the time of his death, the Captain's wife and their then nine-year-old daughter were in the turbolift, on their way to Sickbay, only minutes after having had an argument. Hannah, recently having been given some basic training in first aid from her mother, had practically begged Teri to let her help out in Sickbay during the crisis. Teri, of course, had protested vehemently at first. She gave in mostly due to the fact that she didn't have time to argue much longer.

While the two of them were in the lift, however, another discharge hit, and Teri's head was slammed against the bulkhead with great force, severing her spinal cord just above the fifth cervical vertebra, and causing a subdural hematoma near her visual cortex. Her daughter, who was already leaning against the turbolift wall at the time of the explosion, was unharmed.

Hannah has always believed that they would have long forgotten about that particular incident by now, if she'd been able to get her mother out of there quickly enough, or her medical knowledge had extended far enough to do something else that could help. Due to shipwide malfunctions, however, the two of them were locked in there for hours, and although Hannah had climbed out through the shaft to call for help, in all the confusion amidst cascade failures throughout the ship, nobody came to their immediate assistance. For a long time, Hannah could do nothing but helplessly sit next to her completely paralyzed, unconscious mother, trying not to cry, and above all, fervently wishing she could do something more. By the time an engineering team finally managed to free them, Hannah felt nothing but fury, because without being able to explain how, she knew they had come too late; too late for all of the cortical damage to be repaired.

Teri Peeters never regained complete control of her body. Although she could walk again fairly quickly using motor assist bands, and a neural transducer was later placed into her spinal cord to give her a reasonable amount of control over all four of her limbs again, she couldn't possibly work as a nurse anymore, mainly due to the fact that the tissue of her visual cortex had been damaged beyond repair. On top of  that, her cognitive abilities were greatly impaired. She suffered from intermittend disorientation, frequent hallucinations, and eventually, an early onset variant of dementia. Nobody could ever determine with certainty which of her maladies were directly related to the energy discharge aboard the Galileo, but it took Hannah many years to stop feeling guilty. Partly because of that, she kept one promise she had made to herself on the day of that freak accident: she would become a doctor. She would become the best damn doctor Starfleet had ever seen. Because she never, ever, ever wanted to be part of a situation again where she had to watch helplessly while someone she cared about was irreparably hurt.

Ever since, she's been working incessantly on achieving that goal.

Your Details

Previous Role-Playing Experience:
I got into text-based Star Trek role playing at a different message board community pretty heavily for a year or so about ten years ago. It's been a while, but I'm pretty enthusiastic about getting back into it!
Department Preference: Medical
Secondary Department Preference:
Some kind of enlisted position in the medical department (I can write her as having dropped out of pre-med if necessary).
Commissioned, Enlisted or Civilian: Commissioned

Sample post:

"Hi, mom."

"Kurt? Kurt, ben jij dat?"

A bittersweet smile crossed Hannah's face. Every time she came here, she was struck by the beauty that surrounded her. The building was truly old -- protected by the long-defunct UNESCO nearly four hundred years ago -- but thanks to some invisible, lasting modern architectural interventions, still going strong today. There were two large ponds, complete with friendly duck families, grass-green frogs and some impressive waterlilies. The terrain around the building featured numerous trees older than the building itself, as well as colorful flower beds and meticulously trimmed lawns, where foggy-eyed mothers and fathers were playing with their children, and white-haired men on fuzzy pairs of slippers walked quietly beside their white-haired wives.

Amid all that beauty and tranquility, on a weather-worn but elegant park bench, sat her beautiful and tranquil mother, face framed in white Jasmine blossoms, blonde hair flowing down her shoulders in waves, pale blue eyes staring at nothing.

"No, mom. It's me. Ik ben het. Hannah."

"Hannah? Ben je hier alleen? Waar is Kurt?"

She'd once had a beautiful mind, too. 

"Pa kon er niet bij zijn, vandaag."

Dad couldn't be here today.

That's what she always said, these days. Telling her mother over and over again what had really happened ... seeing her collapse every time the reality of it hit her, one more time, and then another ... it had become too painful for the both of them. Besides, this was a question that didn't have a complete answer anyway. Nobody knew what exactly had happened to kill Kurt. And even if there were a way to figure it out now, there would be no way to tell her mother about it. She'd lost her ability to store new memories the same day she'd lost her husband; and her eyesight.

"I brought you something, Mom."

She turned her mother's hand around, putting a small, disc-shaped object into it, and closing her fingers around it. Then, their hands still entangled, she guided her mother's index finger towards a control on the device.

"Can you feel that triangle?"

"Yes."

"Good. Push it."

"What is it?" she asked, not waiting for the answer before she pushed the button.

"Captain Kurt Hansen's personal log, stardate 83031.3. The preparations for the Galileo's maiden voyage are shaping up nicely. I've finally convinced my wife to join the crew, and so far, nothing indicates that Starfleet won't go along with it. Her nursing skills will come in handy. I've also hired a full-time caregiver, just to make sure that my unborn daughter ..."

Hannah wrapped her hand around her mother's again, and stopped the playback. "It's Dad's voice in a box, Mom. He talks about you a lot."

Teri looked up. Hannah knew she couldn't see anything, but she put her hands on her mother's cheeks and turned her head to look directly into her eyes anyway.

"I've been accepted into Starfleet Academy, Mom. I won't be able to visit you as often as I have. But I'll call."

"You're a very sweet girl. I wish I had a daughter like you."

Hannah swallowed. Was this the moment? Had her mother slipped away entirely now?

"I love you, Mom."

She wrapped her arms around her mother, and held on for dear life.

"Are you sure you're ready for this?"

Hannah shrugged. "I should be. It's what I've always wanted, right? To be in a position where I can actually help people if something goes horribly wrong in the middle of nowhere."

"What happened to your mother wasn't your fault. You know that."

She sighed. "I guess I do. I still wish I could have saved her, though."

"You were just as trapped in that turbolift as she was, Hannah. If you'd had all the medical knowledge in the world at your disposal, it would only have made the fact that there was nothing you could physically do for her that much more excruciating."

"Yadda yadda yadda. I've heard that speech a hundred times."

"Well, then maybe it's time for you to finally start believing it."

Hannah nodded. "Thanks, Irene. For everything."

Aunt Irene -- the closest thing she'd had to a mother since the Galileo's return from her final mission -- simply nodded knowingly. "Now go, kid."

Hannah went.

The last thought she had before the transporter swallowed her up to deposit her at Starfleet Academy, was for her mother. 'I'll do you proud, Mom.'

Additional information: I see now that everyone here has their character's name as a username on the boards. I didn't put my character's name as a username. Could you please fix that for me? Thanks!

How did you find Shadow Fleet? Through trusty old Google.
« Last Edit: February 18, 2017, 06:02:27 pm by Hannah Peeters »

Offline Kirok

• Shadow Fleet Reserves
  • Triumphant Member
  • Awarded in January 2017 to all active members. Awarded in January and July to the most diplomatic player. Awarded to any player who writes the Post of the Month. Awarded every January by the FCO. Awarded to the winner of the bi-annual crew choice poll.
    • View Profile
    • Awards
Re: Hannah Emilia Peeters - Reporting in February 18, 2017
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2017, 04:24:30 pm »
Hannah,

A very nice application.

I have and opening in the Medical Department on the Tempest.

And if you like, you can take our Officer Training Course so that you could start as an Ensign.

Please let me know if both will work for you.

Sincerely,

Kirok

PS - I changed your name.  Let me know if it works (your log in and password will be what they originally were ;-)

Species:  Betazoid/Vulcan.
Being kind to others costs nothing & builds a stronger community.

Offline Hannah Peeters

• Shadow Fleet Reserves
  • Applicant
  • Awarded to players who have been with the fleet for six months.
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2017, 04:27:39 pm »
Thank you for the quick response, sir! I'd be delighted to serve on the Tempest. I would also like to take the OTC as soon as possible.

Sincerely
Hannah Peeters

Offline Kirok

• Shadow Fleet Reserves
  • Triumphant Member
  • Awarded in January 2017 to all active members. Awarded in January and July to the most diplomatic player. Awarded to any player who writes the Post of the Month. Awarded every January by the FCO. Awarded to the winner of the bi-annual crew choice poll.
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #3 on: February 18, 2017, 04:32:38 pm »
Thank you for the quick response, sir! I'd be delighted to serve on the Tempest. I would also like to take the OTC as soon as possible.

Sincerely
Hannah Peeters

Wonderful!

Please report in (email) to Julia Rellek and Will Warning.  They will get you squared away on the Tempest.

And be on the look out for your OTC in Medical to be started.

Welcome aboard,

Kirok

Species:  Betazoid/Vulcan.
Being kind to others costs nothing & builds a stronger community.

RPG-D Sci-Fi Avatars RPG Initiative RPGfix RPG Initiative Fodlan Chronicles