Author Topic: Solluk Reporting In (Last Updated 5/16/18)  (Read 2049 times)

Offline Solluk

• Shadow Fleet Reserves
  • Legendary Member
  • Life is not endurable without a sense of humor.
  • Three year award Awarded to players who go above and beyond what is asked of them. Awarded by the FCO to the CO who has shown the best leadership. Awarded to players who guest star in another SIMM. Awarded to players in recognition of their recruitment efforts.
    • View Profile
    • Awards
Solluk Reporting In (Last Updated 5/16/18)
« on: February 06, 2017, 09:57:34 pm »
Character Name: Solluk
Character Age: 35 (Updated - 38)

Character DOB: Second Vulcan Month, third day of that month.

Character Image: Under Development (Updated: Tom Hiddleston with pointy ears.)

Character Species: Vulcan

Character Family:
Sorin (Father)
T'Pran (Mother)

Character Bio:
Solluk was born on Vulcan to parents Sorin and T'Pran, who both worked within the Planetary Logistics Board, a division in charge of managing the efficient distribution of resources and equipment to government agencies on the planet.   Solluk was a mediocre academic, but exhibited a strong talent for athletics and displayed remarkable alacrity and reflexes.  He became an accomplished martial artist, gaining a level of competence that qualified him to be an instructor.  At a young age, he also took an interest in piloting, and this interest would remain with him throughout his life.

Shortly after reaching the age of majority, Solluk graduated from the Vulcan Technical Institute of Shikhar with certificates in aeronautical piloting, sublight piloting, astrogation, and warp maneuvers.  He was able to get a position on the Planetary Logistics Board as a Freight Transport Operator, ferrying supplies and sometimes passengers between an Oort cloud relay point and Vulcan.  To this end, he piloted a venerable Warp One transport.   Solluk also began a courtship with a young woman named T'Rim in the Planetary Logistics Board's administrative branch. 
Things looked good for his future.

Then, during a routine transport operation, an incident occurred that would change his life forever. 

Solluk was piloting a craft carrying refined Duranium ingots to Vulcan, when he noticed something amiss.  A nearby shuttle began moving erratically, and initiated a ramming maneuver against a Starfleet science vessel (the USS Bardeen) undergoing a sensor-systems refit in a shipyard facility in orbit of Vulcan. 

Unknown to anyone at the time, the shuttle was being piloted by a mentally unbalanced Vulcan suffering from Bendii syndrome.  Seeing that the collision was going to occur, and having no tractor beam on his transport ship, Solluk deviated from his assigned flight path and purposefully collided with the shuttle to change its course. 

He succeeded in preventing a catastrophic collision, but he suffered injuries in the process when a damaged EPS relay overloaded and sent a powerful jolt of electricity through the cockpit of Solluk's transport.  The jolt cooked part of Solluk's brain, causing a small amount of permanent brain damage.  As a result of the injuries, Solluk lost the ability to fully control his emotions. 

Anywhere other than Vulcan, this loss of control might have been virtually unnoticeable.   On Vulcan, his minor emotional exhibitions became an offensive level of public display.  He was continuously embarrassing himself with smiles, frowns, and other emotional cues.  This made fellow Vulcans uncomfortable, particularly because the offender was a Vulcan.  He even sensed discomfort from within his own family.   The woman he'd been courting politely broke off the courtship without real explanation, but Solluk understood why.  He did his best not to show it, but he felt a great deal of shame.

Finally, Solluk made the decision that life on Vulcan would be too uncomfortable for him, and he turned his sights to a career outside of Vulcan territory.   Armed with a letter of recommendation and commendation from the grateful Captain of the Bardeen, he enlisted in Starfleet's Technical Services Academy on Mars.

Starfleet turned out to be a breath of fresh air, as it was an organization that delighted in variety.  Vulcans often claimed the philosophy of infinite diversity, but it was often an empty platitude, or at best an aspirational motto.  In contrast, Starfleet personnel actually lived IDIC every day.  There were hundreds of races and cultures represented, and most of them cared not at all if Solluk smiled or even laughed occasionally.

Solluk completed basic training and received technical certifications that supplemented his existing piloting knowledge.  He was certified with starship combat maneuvers and weapons systems, in addition to basic maintenance of the related technology.  He also qualified for personal combat certifications, an area in which he excelled thanks to his civilian training coupled with natural dexterity and strength.  He also did well with ranged combat skills, which similarly that benefitted from his hand-eye coordination.  Piloting was his primary passion, though, and would become the centerpiece of his early Starfleet career.

(Updates follow)

After a short stint on the Discovery, Solluk was assigned to the Tempest, where he became a noted pilot of the ship's embarked craft, eventually being assigned on permanent rotation as the pilot for one of the ship's runabouts. He did this for several months, having the good fortune to pilot craft during notable incidents.   Promotions came readily as adventures on the Tempest provided ample opportunities to prove his skills.  These helped to foster an increase in confidence, such that when new training opportunities surfaced, he applied for them.  After receiving encouragement from the ground crew for his meticulous maintenance practices, he began to wonder if he might be capable of doing more in this vein.

Securing a recommendation from Ian Galloway, his department head, along with the blessing of Julia Rellek, his CO, he took six-week extension courses at Starfleet Academy on the subjects of Security and Engineering.  It was not surprising that he did well in the Security classes, as he had already shown talent for this during his initial training at the Technical Services Academy.  However, his competence with Engineering was an eye-opener.  Although he graduated from the course near the bottom of the class, he did graduate.  Further, his taste for engineering had been fully ignited.  More importantly, he began to dream of accomplishments that he'd always believed to be beyond his capacity. 

In the months that followed, he practiced his engineering skills by maintaining the embarked craft aboard the Tempest, and rebuilding a damaged shuttle from the ground-up.  Once that was done, he turned his eye to the possibility of Officer Candidacy.  Where once he had sought happiness without the status of being an officer, now he sought the challenge of being an officer without care for the status it would bring.  Solluk had gradually become more confident in his abilities thanks to support from his superiors and friends like Jada, the Tempest's Chief of Security.

After much study, Solluk completed his Officer examinations, and was assigned the temporary rank of Junior Lieutenant by the Captain of the Tempest.   Along with this provisional rank, he obtained a position in the Engineering department.  His transfer to Engineering was bittersweet.  Ian Galloway had always been a supportive and encouraging department head.  However, this sadness was superceded by joy at accomplishing his dreams.

His initial service as a junior lieutenant in Engineering was under the accomplished Commander Briggs, a former ship's Captain who had accepted a voluntary demotion to attend to family issues.  Briggs' momentary difficulties proved to be a boon for Solluk, as he had the rare opportunity to learn from such an experienced officer upon joining the department. 

Not long after, Briggs' career regained its upward trajectory as the man was promoted to an Executive Officer position on another vessel, doubtless on his way to reclaiming a command of his own.  This left Solluk to become the new Chief of the Tempest's Engineering department at the increased rank of Lieutenant.

The Solluk who commanded Engineering at age 37 was a far cry from the Solluk who joined Starfleet at age 35.  A great concentration of remarkable events had conspired to help him evolve as a person, and he now operated in a capacity that had once seemed utterly and forever out of his reach.

This was not to be the end of his journey, however.  Shortly after his 38th birthday, Solluk was promoted again, this time to Lieutenant Commander.  This promotion came with a new and unexpected opportunity: XO of the Challenger.  The Challenger was an antique vessel from a bygone age, stubbornly refusing to be put out to pasture. 

Solluk's tenure on the Challenger proved to be a short and tumultuous one.  During the first few months of his assignment, the Challenger became emroiled with pirates, intervened to save the population of an entire world, and then embarked on a top-secret mission whose full details remain unknown to him.  That final mission impacted the Challenger so deleteriously that the ship was decommissioned.  A long series of investigations followed, and he came to wonder if his career might end under the cloud of covert operations.

Finally, however, Solluk was reassigned to a new ship.  The Trailblazer class USS Challenger-A was a new ship with an old soul.  Using salvaged components from the decommissioned Challenger, it sported a new skeleton with updated internals.  It was a hybrid of the refit Excelsior with state-of-the-art innovations that would serve the fleet for another generation. 

As he embarks on this new vessel, Solluk strives to continue proving his merit and advancing his already remarkable career.  Perhaps one day, he may even Captain his own ship.

Your Details

Previous Role-Playing Experience: I have been roleplaying for 29 years.  And now I realize I am quite old.

Department Preference: Most likely in Flight Control, piloting some manner of embarked craft. (Updated: Now happily employed in Engineering.)  (Updated Again: Now serving as XO.)

Secondary Department Preference: Security

Commissioned, Enlisted or Civilian: Enlisted (Updated: Now an Officer, after completing officer candidacy.)

Sample post:

Solluk smirked when he saw her.  It was just a slight upwards curve at the corners of his mouth, but he might as well have laughed aloud and danced in place.  He immediately realized his error and straightened his expression, but it was too late.  T'Rim's face was impassive.  As impassive as any Vulcan's ought to be.  But he could feel her disappointment as if it were the heat of the noonday sun.

"This is who I am now,"� he wanted to tell her, "I can't control it.  But I still value you and I think there can be value in us."�

He said none of that, however.  Except perhaps with his eyes, with faint expression.

Any expression was a misstep.  This could only end one way.

In fact... he was quite sure it was over already. 

Additional information: I am willing to complete any kind of tutorial necessary to begin the game at a level above Bottle Washer, Fourth Class. 

How did you find Shadow Fleet?

In an emailed advertisement.

(Note: Character sheet updated to show activity throughout 2017 and 2018.   It is assumed that in-game time has been expanded by the weeks and months described to have occurred between missions.  Altogether, these breaks and activities have suggested that more years have elapsed 'in-game' than during this same 'real life' period.  This is also the only way to plausibly explain the character's career advancement.)
« Last Edit: January 14, 2021, 01:50:50 pm by Solluk »
My Primary Shadowfleet Character:

Offline Kirok

• Shadow Fleet Reserves
  • Triumphant Member
  • Awarded in January 2017 to all active members. Awarded in January and July to the most diplomatic player. Awarded to any player who writes the Post of the Month. Awarded every January by the FCO. Awarded to the winner of the bi-annual crew choice poll.
    • View Profile
    • Awards
Re: Solluk Reporting In (Feb 6 2017)
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2017, 11:00:10 pm »
Solluk,

A very good application.

Per our emails, I have an opening in the Flight Control department on the Discovery.

And you can take the Enlisted training course right away if you like!

Please let me know if that will work for you.

Sincerely,

Kirok

Species:  Betazoid/Vulcan.
Being kind to others costs nothing & builds a stronger community.

Offline Solluk

• Shadow Fleet Reserves
  • Legendary Member
  • Three year award Awarded to players who go above and beyond what is asked of them. Awarded by the FCO to the CO who has shown the best leadership. Awarded to players who guest star in another SIMM. Awarded to players in recognition of their recruitment efforts.
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2017, 11:16:54 pm »
Hello,

This would suit me happily.   I am ready to take the examination.

Cheers!

Offline Constance Lafayette

• Shadow Fleet Reserves
  • Veteran Member
  • I love the smell of paperwork in the morning.
  • Awarded to any player who stuck with the site during the June 2017 Site Move Awarded by the FCO to the CO who has shown the best leadership. Awarded in January 2017 to all active members. Awarded in January and July by the FCO to crew of the most active SIMM. Awarded to players who participate in a Spread the Word campaign.
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #3 on: February 06, 2017, 11:19:13 pm »
I don't know... Bottle Washer, Fourth Class. is PRETTY high up there for a new person.

But seriously- welcome!

Rear Admiral Constance Lafayette
Commanding Officer, USS Athena
Academy Command Officer Instructor

Offline Solluk

• Shadow Fleet Reserves
  • Legendary Member
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #4 on: February 06, 2017, 11:21:33 pm »
LOL!  Thanks.  :-)

Offline Alexander Wu

• Pineapple Pizza Crusader
  • Approved Applicants
  • Legendary Member
  • Militi Succurrimus
  • Awarded to players on completion of 10 years service with the fleet. Awarded to players who continue to contribute to the running of the SIMM. Awarded to the player whom the CO feels is worthy of recognition. Awarded to players who are always online and posting. Awarded to any player present during the special mission in May 2013.
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #5 on: February 06, 2017, 11:47:13 pm »
I don't know... Bottle Washer, Fourth Class. is PRETTY high up there for a new person.

But seriously- welcome!

We could always start training with tupperware...

Welcome to ShadowFleet =)

"Nothing in the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity. The hottest place in Hell is reserved for those who remain neutral in times of great moral conflict." -MLK, Jr.

Offline Solluk

• Shadow Fleet Reserves
  • Legendary Member
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #6 on: February 06, 2017, 11:55:51 pm »
Ha!

Thank you, Mr. Wu.

I look forward to your class.  :-)

Offline Solluk

• Shadow Fleet Reserves
  • Legendary Member
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #7 on: February 07, 2017, 02:41:53 pm »
Hello everyone!

I have noticed that some characters have an elegant ship assignment photo and placard embedded into their signature line.  Is there a process for acquiring this decoration?  Cheers!

Offline Kirok

• Shadow Fleet Reserves
  • Triumphant Member
  • Awarded in January 2017 to all active members. Awarded in January and July to the most diplomatic player. Awarded to any player who writes the Post of the Month. Awarded every January by the FCO. Awarded to the winner of the bi-annual crew choice poll.
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #8 on: February 07, 2017, 03:06:47 pm »
Hello everyone!

I have noticed that some characters have an elegant ship assignment photo and placard embedded into their signature line.  Is there a process for acquiring this decoration?  Cheers!

Solluk,

Yes, we will have an ID Card requested for you.

Kyan (on the Discovery) made the recent batch.

I will copy you on an email to him with the request.

Cheers,

Kirok

Species:  Betazoid/Vulcan.
Being kind to others costs nothing & builds a stronger community.

Offline Solluk

• Shadow Fleet Reserves
  • Legendary Member
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #9 on: February 07, 2017, 03:51:26 pm »
My thanks to those with the talent and generosity to make such things possible.

Cheers!

RPG-D Sci-Fi Avatars RPG Initiative RPGfix RPG Initiative Fodlan Chronicles