Author Topic: S1 - Mission 6 - Killer Cove  (Read 73120 times)

Offline Malcolm Adeyemi

• Shadow Fleet Reserves
  • Champion Member
  • Awarded to any player who has been with the Fleet 5 Years Awarded in January and July by the FCO to crew of the most organized SIMM. Awarded in January and July to the player who writes the most engaging posts. Awarded to players in recognition of their recruitment efforts. Awarded to players who successfully complete the EPC or ATC.
    • View Profile
    • Awards
S1 - Mission 6 - Killer Cove
« on: January 27, 2017, 01:11:39 pm »
Station log, stardate 47634.44.

Crises often reveal the best in an officer, and in a team. I am more than pleased about how the crew of the Columbus handled our latest incident. The temporal portal that threatened to destroy us all has been destroyed, the perpetrators unmasked, if not apprehended. We have found that we cannot resist the temptation to change our pasts. But we've also learned that in moments of disaster we can band together as Starfleet officers for the greater good.

I wish I could say that we are back to business as usual on the Columbus, but it is not meant to be. I have learned that a pair of old friends are arriving on the station. One is for a visit, the other for a hopefully permanent stay: Kirok and newly appointed JAG officer Alexander Wu. Protocol demands that I meet with Admiral Kirok first, but I will make time for both of my old comrades in due time. I have arrived at the station flight deck to greet the man that has been a part of my Starfleet career since my very earliest days.

[Flight Deck]

Captain Stafford was lending a hand to the civilian cargo crew, manually loading up smaller items for a bulk shipment. Some unidentifiable aliens, non-humanoid, who poured their mostly liquid forms into human shaped suits, had not recognized who he was. They did not know and probably would not care if they did that he was the commanding officer.

He'd been waiting by their cargo, leaning on his cane, when their ranking officer brusquely ordered him to stand aside or lend a hand. Amused, Stafford had taken to filing up their hold with the items too small to be picked up by the deck's small cargo tractor beam. They were freely discussing the accommodations on the Columbus, or the lack thereof.

"Call themselves a base, try getting a decent bucket to pour yourself in," groused one of the crew.

"We're only here to pick up a shipment, you don't need a bucket to laze around in. You do that well enough on your own, in your suit." Their officer said. Whatever communication equipment they were using rendered their voices flat, electronic.

The suits in question were quite handsome, an orange and black, sturdy garment that kept them standing upright, and moving and talking and associating with humanoid species. Stafford could admire their shrewdness: a lot of humanoid species out there wouldn't want to deal with a taking bucket of liquid.

It also rendered them anonymous. There was no way to tell who was who beneath their mirrored helmets. Instead, Stafford found himself looking into his own reflection and talking to it. It was a bit unsettling.

"You, deckhand," The officer said to the captain. "This station is too big, and run down. And the red tape is denser than the Puurlak Swath. Don't your people know how to encourage free trade?"

Stafford didn't know what the Puurlak Swath was, but he knew a ribald insult when he heard it.

"You're lucky we let you land here at all," The captain said back in just a challenging a voice. "Your suits are ugly and your ship is a hunk of junk."

The remark was unexpected but it drew a moment of shocked silence and then laughter. No one laughed louder than the ranking officer himself. Or herself. Or itself.

The moment was interrupted by an enlisted Starfleet woman in red. She approached the captain with a bit of trepidation.

"Captain Stafford," She said. "Admiral Kirok's shuttle is making its approach."

"Thank you, crewman," Stafford replied as the laughter died down and the aliens realized who he was.

"You're Captain Sta--" The alien officer said in an electronically shocked tone, then recovered. "Captain, I am Prime Officer Nils of the trader ship Alysium, it is a sincere pleasure--"

"No need to grovel, Prime Officer," Stafford said with amusement, a smile gracing his lined and wizened face. "You and your crew are always welcome here, even if you think my station is a dump."

"Give clearance to the admiral's shuttle to land here." The captain finished, and the flight crewman went to do so.

Offline Kirok

• Shadow Fleet Reserves
  • Triumphant Member
  • Awarded in January 2017 to all active members. Awarded in January and July to the most diplomatic player. Awarded to any player who writes the Post of the Month. Awarded every January by the FCO. Awarded to the winner of the bi-annual crew choice poll.
    • View Profile
    • Awards
Re: S1 - Mission 6 - Killer Cove
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2017, 02:04:26 pm »
Station log, stardate 47634.44.

Crises often reveal the best in an officer, and in a team. I am more than pleased about how the crew of the Columbus handled our latest incident. The temporal portal that threatened to destroy us all has been destroyed, the perpetrators unmasked, if not apprehended. We have found that we cannot resist the temptation to change our pasts. But we've also learned that in moments of disaster we can band together as Starfleet officers for the greater good.

I wish I could say that we are back to business as usual on the Columbus, but it is not meant to be. I have learned that a pair of old friends are arriving on the station. One is for a visit, the other for a hopefully permanent stay: Kirok and newly appointed JAG officer Alexander Wu. Protocol demands that I meet with Admiral Kirok first, but I will make time for both of my old comrades in due time. I have arrived at the station flight deck to greet the man that has been a part of my Starfleet career since my very earliest days.

[Flight Deck]

Captain Stafford was lending a hand to the civilian cargo crew, manually loading up smaller items for a bulk shipment. Some unidentifiable aliens, non-humanoid, who poured their mostly liquid forms into human shaped suits, had not recognized who he was. They did not know and probably would not care if they did that he was the commanding officer.

He'd been waiting by their cargo, leaning on his cane, when their ranking officer brusquely ordered him to stand aside or lend a hand. Amused, Stafford had taken to filing up their hold with the items too small to be picked up by the deck's small cargo tractor beam. They were freely discussing the accommodations on the Columbus, or the lack thereof.

"Call themselves a base, try getting a decent bucket to pour yourself in," groused one of the crew.

"We're only here to pick up a shipment, you don't need a bucket to laze around in. You do that well enough on your own, in your suit." Their officer said. Whatever communication equipment they were using rendered their voices flat, electronic.

The suits in question were quite handsome, an orange and black, sturdy garment that kept them standing upright, and moving and talking and associating with humanoid species. Stafford could admire their shrewdness: a lot of humanoid species out there wouldn't want to deal with a taking bucket of liquid.

It also rendered them anonymous. There was no way to tell who was who beneath their mirrored helmets. Instead, Stafford found himself looking into his own reflection and talking to it. It was a bit unsettling.

"You, deckhand," The officer said to the captain. "This station is too big, and run down. And the red tape is denser than the Puurlak Swath. Don't your people know how to encourage free trade?"

Stafford didn't know what the Puurlak Swath was, but he knew a ribald insult when he heard it.

"You're lucky we let you land here at all," The captain said back in just a challenging a voice. "Your suits are ugly and your ship is a hunk of junk."

The remark was unexpected but it drew a moment of shocked silence and then laughter. No one laughed louder than the ranking officer himself. Or herself. Or itself.

The moment was interrupted by an enlisted Starfleet woman in red. She approached the captain with a bit of trepidation.

"Captain Stafford," She said. "Admiral Kirok's shuttle is making its approach."

"Thank you, crewman," Stafford replied as the laughter died down and the aliens realized who he was.

"You're Captain Sta--" The alien officer said in an electronically shocked tone, then recovered. "Captain, I am Prime Officer Nils of the trader ship Alysium, it is a sincere pleasure--"

"No need to grovel, Prime Officer," Stafford said with amusement, a smile gracing his lined and wizened face. "You and your crew are always welcome here, even if you think my station is a dump."

"Give clearance to the admiral's shuttle to land here." The captain finished, and the flight crewman went to do so.

[Shuttle Bay]

It has been a few months since Kirok's last visit to the Starbase.  His last visit has him promotion Luke to Captain.  And, of course, to elicit help with regard to the ongoing war with Section 31. 

Almost two months had past and the half Vulcan was back again.  This time with a prisoner aboard the Discovery.  And with new evidence to Section 31 continued dirty work.

After a careful landing, Kirok stepped off the shuttle and onto the hanger.  Eyes feel upon him and people stopped their work to salute.  Kirok returned the salute and walked up to Luke.

He bowed slightly.  "It is agreeable to see you again, Captain.  I hope I have not kept you too long" he said.

Species:  Betazoid/Vulcan.
Being kind to others costs nothing & builds a stronger community.

Offline Malcolm Adeyemi

• Shadow Fleet Reserves
  • Champion Member
  • Awarded to any player who has been with the Fleet 5 Years Awarded in January and July by the FCO to crew of the most organized SIMM. Awarded in January and July to the player who writes the most engaging posts. Awarded to players in recognition of their recruitment efforts. Awarded to players who successfully complete the EPC or ATC.
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2017, 02:09:47 pm »

[Shuttle Bay]

It has been a few months since Kirok's last visit to the Starbase.  His last visit has him promotion Luke to Captain.  And, of course, to elicit help with regard to the ongoing war with Section 31. 

Almost two months had past and the half Vulcan was back again.  This time with a prisoner aboard the Discovery.  And with new evidence to Section 31 continued dirty work.

After a careful landing, Kirok stepped off the shuttle and onto the hanger.  Eyes feel upon him and people stopped their work to salute.  Kirok returned the salute and walked up to Luke.

He bowed slightly.  "It is agreeable to see you again, Captain.  I hope I have not kept you too long" he said.

[Shuttle Bay]

"Not at all, admiral." Stafford studied the sudden flurry of activity on the flight deck. It had already been a great deal when he'd made his entrance, but now with an admiral and their CO present the enlisted personnel and lower ranked officers were absolutely buzzing across the deck.

"Your visit, while pleasant, is a surprise to me." The captain admitted. "I have a feeling that you're here for something graver than a promotion and breakfast this time."

Offline Kirok

• Shadow Fleet Reserves
  • Triumphant Member
  • Awarded in January 2017 to all active members. Awarded in January and July to the most diplomatic player. Awarded to any player who writes the Post of the Month. Awarded every January by the FCO. Awarded to the winner of the bi-annual crew choice poll.
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #3 on: January 27, 2017, 08:44:08 pm »
[Shuttle Bay]

"Not at all, admiral." Stafford studied the sudden flurry of activity on the flight deck. It had already been a great deal when he'd made his entrance, but now with an admiral and their CO present the enlisted personnel and lower ranked officers were absolutely buzzing across the deck.

"Your visit, while pleasant, is a surprise to me." The captain admitted. "I have a feeling that you're here for something graver than a promotion and breakfast this time."

[Shuttle bay]

"Once could say that, Captain" Kirok replied, still aware of that others were watching and listening.   "I had thought you would be without your cane by now.  Perhaps we should get to your office where we can both rest for a moment" the half Vulcan suggested.

Offline Malcolm Adeyemi

• Shadow Fleet Reserves
  • Champion Member
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #4 on: January 27, 2017, 08:51:50 pm »

[Shuttle bay]

"Once could say that, Captain" Kirok replied, still aware of that others were watching and listening.   "I had thought you would be without your cane by now.  Perhaps we should get to your office where we can both rest for a moment" the half Vulcan suggested.

[Shuttle Bay]

"Agreed, follow me, Admiral." The captain made sure his cane was ready to go and took off. His superior officer and friend was older but far more spry, walking unaided.

[CO's Office]

Stafford smiled to himself when he entered his office. It was his most favorite place on all the Columbus. It was intimate, crowded with old fashioned furniture. A wooden desk, leather chairs, bookshelves. It had the air of an office of an eccentric college professor. Deep down, the captain was still a small town boy. His concerted effort not to modernize his office besides the comm equipment and his computer was his way of keeping his ego in check. Don't go getting all full of yourself just because you're a captain now.

"Like a drink, sir?" Stafford asked, hovering near the replicator. "It's the least I can do since you've come all this way."

Offline Hust Kinun

• Shadow Fleet Reserves
  • Competent Member
  • Awarded to players who have been with the fleet for six months. Awarded in January 2017 to all active members. Awarded in January and July by the FCO to crew of the most organized SIMM. Awarded to players who are always online and posting. Awarded to the player who has greatly improved since the last awards ceremony.
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #5 on: January 27, 2017, 10:17:07 pm »
[JAG Corps Offices]

Hust had finally returned to some semblance of work. Mysteriously, his files had been altered to show no time spent UA. Although several people knew the truth, that he had been, there was no files to back it up. It seemed that you believed what the powers wanted you to believe. He still was under difficult situations, however. He hadn't gotten help to build back up his neural walls, but the tremors from withdrawal had worked their way out of his system.

He was currently engaged in paperwork filing. There was a lot that had piled up during his UA-But-still-not-UA time. It could keep him very busy, but he simply had to do it still. He sat down with another cup of tea, working on the files. Besides any jobs that he had on starbase, the office he was in oversaw every inter-planetary or inter-species court arrangement within several sectors around them. That was a lot of throughput for the office. Take the case he was working on now, for instance. A Bolian carpenter had lost a suit brought by an Andorian contractor for failing to mention the wood the carpenter had used was illegal on Rizenium two. He saw it, filed the details away, and could now move on to the next one.

He had heard that a new boss had been sent out from Starfleet JAG to take over the department. Hust, being one of only four or five people on the base, would definitely need to meet this man eventually. Whatever the reasons, Starfleet had sent him. Hopefully he wasn't one of those types of people...
Ex-Starfleet Lawyer (Disgraced)
Alt of Dylan Torngate.

Offline Kirok

• Shadow Fleet Reserves
  • Triumphant Member
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #6 on: January 27, 2017, 11:56:52 pm »
[Shuttle Bay]

"Agreed, follow me, Admiral." The captain made sure his cane was ready to go and took off. His superior officer and friend was older but far more spry, walking unaided.

[CO's Office]

Stafford smiled to himself when he entered his office. It was his most favorite place on all the Columbus. It was intimate, crowded with old fashioned furniture. A wooden desk, leather chairs, bookshelves. It had the air of an office of an eccentric college professor. Deep down, the captain was still a small town boy. His concerted effort not to modernize his office besides the comm equipment and his computer was his way of keeping his ego in check. Don't go getting all full of yourself just because you're a captain now.

"Like a drink, sir?" Stafford asked, hovering near the replicator. "It's the least I can do since you've come all this way."

[CO's Office]

"Water, room temperature" Kirok replied.  He took a seat and settled into it.  "Sturdy and functional.  I assume it to be from Earth?" the half Vulcan asked while he waited for Luke to return with drinks and sit.

"I do have an assignment for you or more correctly a request for assistance" Kirok said one Luke was ready.  "I have a Section 31 prisoner aboard the Discovery.  He had in his possession a data padd that mentioned a research facility supposed near this sector of space" he said as he produced a data padd and handed it to Luke.

"I would like to know what is going on at this research facility, but I am not able to do so myself.  If you could assign a team to handle this task, I would be grateful" the half Vulcan said.

Offline Malcolm Adeyemi

• Shadow Fleet Reserves
  • Champion Member
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #7 on: January 28, 2017, 12:14:20 am »

[CO's Office]

"Water, room temperature" Kirok replied.  He took a seat and settled into it.  "Sturdy and functional.  I assume it to be from Earth?" the half Vulcan asked while he waited for Luke to return with drinks and sit.

"I do have an assignment for you or more correctly a request for assistance" Kirok said one Luke was ready.  "I have a Section 31 prisoner aboard the Discovery.  He had in his possession a data padd that mentioned a research facility supposed near this sector of space" he said as he produced a data padd and handed it to Luke.

"I would like to know what is going on at this research facility, but I am not able to do so myself.  If you could assign a team to handle this task, I would be grateful" the half Vulcan said.

[CO's Office]

Stafford set the admiral's drink down and took the PADD. Instead of sitting at his own desk the captain joined his old friend in one of the guest chairs.

"Unfortunately, no. They're replicated they're just as good as the real thing." Stafford was activating the PADD.

There wasn't anything resembling a briefing in the report, only a set of coordinates and a contact on the planet. It was very little to go on.

"The research facility is on Killer Cove?" Stafford asked incredulously. "That's a notorious pirate and smuggler's den. And it's not like we can take a runabout. We'll need the Gibson."

Offline Michael J. Tritter

• Shadow Fleet Reserves
  • Trusted Member
  • Don't trifle with Tritter
  • Awarded to players on completion of 10 years service with the fleet. 2018 Starfleet Intelligence: Strategic Science Summit  Featured missiion Awarded to any player who donates money to help keep SF running Awarded to those who demonstrate an ability to convey the action of combat.
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #8 on: January 28, 2017, 12:47:09 am »
Tritter had needed some... alone time after the hellish flash backs he endured from the last mission. He wasn't much of a therapy guy. Instead, he barricaded himself into a rarely visited section of the base, in an unused office. The large man was not one who blended in well, he carried a duffle bag with him, to hide what he truly had going on. The man was in dire need of some alone time and a way to bury those images back where they belong. He stepped inside the unused office, took a seat and proceeded to unzip the bag, he pulled out a bottle of scotch and a glass. He went and got some ice from the replicator and proceeded to sit down. He proceeded to pour himself a glass, lean back, feet up on the corner of the desk - how terrible of him. Closing eyes, he would proceeded to sip on the scotch, he was just in the mood to numb his problems away and for right now, that seemed like the best idea he come up with. He would also try his best to avoid getting completely sloshed, as he knows that would lead to nothing good. He was trying to put as many positive thoughts into his head as he could and get into a good head space.

It's not the size of the dog in the fight that matters, but the size of the fight in the dog

Offline Kirok

• Shadow Fleet Reserves
  • Triumphant Member
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #9 on: January 28, 2017, 12:47:20 am »
[CO's Office]

Stafford set the admiral's drink down and took the PADD. Instead of sitting at his own desk the captain joined his old friend in one of the guest chairs.

"Unfortunately, no. They're replicated they're just as good as the real thing." Stafford was activating the PADD.

There wasn't anything resembling a briefing in the report, only a set of coordinates and a contact on the planet. It was very little to go on.

"The research facility is on Killer Cove?" Stafford asked incredulously. "That's a notorious pirate and smuggler's den. And it's not like we can take a runabout. We'll need the Gibson."

[CO's Office]

"And some clever disguises I would guess.  For your crew and the Gibson" Kirok replied.  "I think it goes without saying that this is a classified mission and you should only take members of your crew whom you fully trust" he added.

"Your contact at the facility will be Dr. Salek.  The location is known as Killer Cove.  But I must warn you.  You are only to retrieve the research, but not read it.  It must survive, even if none of the researchers do" the half Vulcan said.
« Last Edit: January 28, 2017, 01:02:52 am by Kirok »

Offline Malcolm Adeyemi

• Shadow Fleet Reserves
  • Champion Member
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #10 on: January 28, 2017, 01:20:01 am »

[CO's Office]

"And some clever disguises I would guess.  For your crew and the Gibson" Kirok replied.  "I think it goes without saying that this is a classified mission and you should only take members of your crew whom you fully trust" he added.

"Your contact at the facility will be Dr. Salek.  The location is known as Killer Cove.  But I must warn you.  You are only to retrieve the research, but not read it.  It must survive, even if none of the researchers do" the half Vulcan said.

[CO's Office]

Gravely, the captain stood and straightened his uniform. He paced as well as he could with his cane.

"The reason I still need this is because I refuse to have a cloned bone transplant." He said suddenly. It seemed awfully off topic.

"Disguises? I should think so." Stafford said thoughtfully. "The Gibson cannot be crewed by any less than 50. I'll pick my senior staff and evaluate the rest of the crew. And we'll need to retrofit the Gibson to fit in. A bit of grunge should do the trick. And for the crew, too."

It was going to be an busy day, all of the sudden. A half dozen things sprung to mind that he had to accomplish.

"The nature of this mission...it's not like you, Kirok." Stafford said softly.
« Last Edit: January 28, 2017, 01:38:56 am by Luke Stafford »

Offline Kirok

• Shadow Fleet Reserves
  • Triumphant Member
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #11 on: January 28, 2017, 01:39:15 am »
[CO's Office]

Gravely, the captain stood and straightened his uniform. He paced as well as he could with his cane.

"The reason I still need this is because I refuse to have a cloned bone transplant." He said suddenly. It seemed awfully off topic.

"Disguises? I should think so." Stafford said thoughtfully. "The Gibson cannot be crewed by any less than 50. I'll pick my senior staff and evaluate the rest of the crew. And we'll need to retrofit the Gibson to fit in. A bit of grunge should do the trick. And for the crew, too."

It was going to be an busy day, all of the sudden. A half dozen things sprung to mind that he had to accomplish.

"The nature of this mission...it's not like you, Kirok." Stafford said softly.

[CO's Office]

Kirok's left eyebrow arched slightly.  He respected Stafford's choice regarding his own medical treatment, so he simply nodded.  "You are correct, but if the research pertains to what I think it does, I will not be read it either" he said. 

"No one should.  My plan is to have it destroyed as soon as you deliver it to me.  So that is can not be used by anyone, ever" the half Vulcan added sincerely.   

Offline Malcolm Adeyemi

• Shadow Fleet Reserves
  • Champion Member
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #12 on: January 28, 2017, 02:13:30 am »

[CO's Office]

Kirok's left eyebrow arched slightly.  He respected Stafford's choice regarding his own medical treatment, so he simply nodded.  "You are correct, but if the research pertains to what I think it does, I will not be read it either" he said. 

"No one should.  My plan is to have it destroyed as soon as you deliver it to me.  So that is can not be used by anyone, ever" the half Vulcan added sincerely.   

[CO's Office]

"I see." Stafford said flatly. He was being told rather less than what be was used to. Having risen through the ranks from crewman all the way to captain he knew the concept of need to know. He didn't have to like it, however.

"We'll bring back the research, and the team." The captain said.

The other part of Kirok's instructions he did not intend to address. There was no way he was going to let anyone die unless absolutely necessary, least of all the people he was supposed to be rescuing.

"What of this prisoner?" Stafford asked, rapidly changing the subject. "I'd like to have my security chief question him with my new JAG officer in attendance. We both know him. Alex Wu."

Offline Kirok

• Shadow Fleet Reserves
  • Triumphant Member
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #13 on: January 28, 2017, 02:57:47 am »
[CO's Office]

"I see." Stafford said flatly. He was being told rather less than what be was used to. Having risen through the ranks from crewman all the way to captain he knew the concept of need to know. He didn't have to like it, however.

"We'll bring back the research, and the team." The captain said.

The other part of Kirok's instructions he did not intend to address. There was no way he was going to let anyone die unless absolutely necessary, least of all the people he was supposed to be rescuing.

"What of this prisoner?" Stafford asked, rapidly changing the subject. "I'd like to have my security chief question him with my new JAG officer in attendance. We both know him. Alex Wu."

[CO's Office]

Kirok nodded his head again.  "That is a generous offer.  But I think it best if Vice Admiral Casas handle this matter.  Being with the Judge Advocate General of Starfleet he with have no bias in the matter" Kirok replied.

"Not to imply that you might be bias.  But your association with me might color your judgement or that of your staff.  I have, after all, had a direct hand in your and Alex's promotions at one point or another" the half Vulcan explained. 

Offline Malcolm Adeyemi

• Shadow Fleet Reserves
  • Champion Member
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #14 on: January 28, 2017, 03:10:20 am »

[CO's Office]

Kirok nodded his head again.  "That is a generous offer.  But I think it best if Vice Admiral Casas handle this matter.  Being with the Judge Advocate General of Starfleet he with have no bias in the matter" Kirok replied.

"Not to imply that you might be bias.  But your association with me might color your judgement or that of your staff.  I have, after all, had a direct hand in your and Alex's promotions at one point or another" the half Vulcan explained. 

[CO's Office]

"Understood." Stafford said. He was being voluntold what to do. It wasn't a feeling he was used to. And the fact that Kirok hadn't responded to him when he'd said the assignment was out of character troubled him. A great deal of this troubled him.

Normally, Stafford would extend the hospitality of the Columbus, but he had a feeling the admiral wouldn't be receptive to it.

"We have a lot to do here, admiral. I'm sure you do, as well. We'll keep this situation contained and deal with it." Stafford said, standing up straighter and indicating the office door. "I hope the next time we meet it is under more felicitous circumstances."

RPG-D Sci-Fi Avatars RPG Initiative RPGfix RPG Initiative Fodlan Chronicles