Season 1: Prologue

Started by Kirok, January 24, 2017, 04:12:40 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kirok

[Many Days before the transfer - Discovery Ready Room]

Kirok sat alone in his office.  He was looking again at a transmission from his father.  His father hardly ever sent out messaged and if he did they were never more than 63 seconds long.

But this one was different.  This one was well over 13 minutes long.  And his father appeared to be very ill.

Yes, the man had been diagnosed with stage four cancer.  He had started treatment.  But something new in the man's voice that made Kirok uneasy, a desperate quality.

"It would be acceptable if I were able to visit you again, Son" Kirok's father said.  "But I'm going from one doctor to another these days" he added.  There was a muffled female voice in the background, undoubtedly his father's new wife.  "They said the cancer is spreading aggressively now.  I may just have a few months left" he finished.

Kirok paused the video message.  The implied, but unspoken message was obvious, his father wanted Kirok to return to Vulcan again.  And for the first time in a long time in the half Vulcan's life, he was unsure as to what to do.

Species:  Betazoid/Vulcan.
Being kind to others costs nothing & builds a stronger community.

Non-Playing Character 2

[Several Days before the transfer - Tempest Lounge]

[NPC - Luther Sloan]

Luther sat in a chair waiting for James Hawke to arrive for a meeting.  He had claimed to know James' Grandfather, Joseph, and his Father, Kenneth.  Just to make sure James would accept the invitation to meet with him.

[Days before the transfer - Starbase Columbus Sickbay]

[NPC - Luther Sloan]

Luther walked into Sickbay during a time when he know Dr. McConnel would be working.  And when no one else would be there.  "Excuse me Dr. McConnel, would you have a moment to meet with me?" he asked.

T'Ra Jones

[Starbase Edmund, Personal Quarters - Days after the borg mission]

T'Ra sat comfortably in her favourite chair, eyes closed as she listened to the Vulcan lute. One leg was folded, resting on the edge of the seat while the dangled over the side. Evan was doing relatively well at it, given what little practice he had had, but a sudden skewed note prompted her to open her eyes to regard her human companion with a tilted head. "I do not believe this instrument was designed to play such tunes as Yankee Doodle," she told him plainly, in her best attempt to keep a straight face. But the doctor was beaming from ear to ear, and it was difficult not to to be infected by that irresistible grin.

Evan paused, letting the lute rest across his lap as he laughed in reply, "Perhaps that wasn't what the makers had in mind, but who really knows what this thing could be capable of. Limits only exist in the mind." He strummed a few more lazy notes in an expression of deep thought before adding, "Are you really sure about this, T'Ra, stepping down?"

She sighed, looking away. "I'm just so tired of it all, Evan, the bureaucrats, the reports, everything... I missed being out there, being on a ship, actually doing things I do want to have a command again some day, but I want to get there under my own steam, in my own time. I want to learn the things that I couldn't learn before."

The doctor nodded. "I must say I have been worried about you lately, the effect that the admiralty was having on you. You came back from that borg mission looking a little worse for wear, but there was a sense of calm that I had not seen in you for the longest time. Vulcans may be stronger than we humans could ever dare to hope, but even they cannot hold up the world forever." He hesitated, as if struggling organize his thoughts. "But damn, you sure look good in red though."

T'Ra was so startled by that last remark that she had to laugh despite herself. When she turned back to face Evan, she was greeted by a triumphant look upon the doctor's face.  "Success," he whispered.

She let out a sharp exhale, content. "What would I do without you?" she asked.

"I don't know," he replied. "I can't read minds, but I do know this. I will always be there for you. Tilek svi'khaf - spol tvathu - tilek svi'sah'veh." T'Ra arched a brow, impressed. Clearly he had been practicing. That in itself meant a lot to her, regardless of what he had said. "But, T'Ra, you sure as hell better take me with you."

T'Ra nodded. "I had a feeling you would say that," she replied. "So I've pulled some strings and arranged for you to be transferred to the Shran as well." Now it was her turn to smile in a moment of success.

Ich lache, weil es ein Loch in mir gibt.
-Evan Buehler

Non-Playing Character 2

Quote from: T'Ra Jones on January 24, 2017, 08:06:06 PM

T'Ra sat comfortably in her favourite chair, eyes closed as she listened to the Vulcan lute. One leg was folded, resting on the edge of the seat while the dangled over the side. Evan was doing relatively well at it, given what little practice he had had, but a sudden skewed note prompted her to open her eyes to regard her human companion with a tilted head. "I do not believe this instrument was designed to play such tunes as Yankee Doodle," she told him plainly, in her best attempt to keep a straight face. But the doctor was beaming from ear to ear, and it was difficult not to to be infected by that irresistible grin.

Evan paused, letting the lute rest across his lap as he laughed in reply, "Perhaps that wasn't what the makers had in mind, but who really knows what this thing could be capable of. Limits only exist in the mind." He strummed a few more lazy notes in an expression of deep thought before adding, "Are you really sure about this, T'Ra, stepping down?"

She sighed, looking away. "I'm just so tired of it all, Evan, the bureaucrats, the reports, everything... I missed being out there, being on a ship, actually doing things I do want to have a command again some day, but I want to get there under my own steam, in my own time. I want to learn the things that I couldn't learn before."

The doctor nodded. "I must say I have been worried about you lately, the effect that the admiralty was having on you. You came back from that borg mission looking a little worse for wear, but there was a sense of calm that I had not seen in you for the longest time. Vulcans may be stronger than we humans could ever dare to hope, but even they cannot hold up the world forever." He hesitated, as if struggling organize his thoughts. "But damn, you sure look good in red though."

T'Ra was so startled by that last remark that she had to laugh despite herself. When she turned back to face Evan, she was greeted by a triumphant look upon the doctor's face.  "Success,"� he whispered.

She let out a sharp exhale, content. "What would I do without you?" she asked.

"I don't know," he replied. "I can't read minds, but I do know this. I will always be there for you. Tilek svi'khaf - spol tvathu - tilek svi'sah'veh." T'Ra arched a brow, impressed. Clearly he had been practicing. That in itself meant a lot to her, regardless of what he had said. "But, T'Ra, you sure as hell better take me with you."

T'Ra nodded. "I had a feeling you would say that," she replied. "So I've pulled some strings and arranged for you to be transferred to the Shran as well." Now it was her turn to smile in a moment of success.

Sloan had done his homework before visiting T'Ra Jones.  He had done his homework before meeting the other new members of the Shran crew.  But this one was going to somewhat harder than the rest.

T'Ra was happy.  Wanted for nothing.  And as a Vulcan, mostly free of emotion and thus harder to persuade.

But Luther had a gift for persuading people to do things they might not typically want to do.  In fact, his success rate was better than anyone else he knew.  The best in fact and he was up to the challenge.

So, he rang T'Ra's door bell.  He knew that Evan would be with her.  Knowledge he would put to good use.

[Days before the transfer - Starbase Columbus - Bar]

Sloan sat at the 'sidewalk bar' drinking a scotch on the rocks.  It was just a few minutes past the end of Sevoc's shift.  And if the Vulcan/Andorian followed his routine, the man would come walking by any moment now.

Jamie McConnell

CMO Office

The sheer size of the USS Shran's sickbay would have overwhelmed Jamie if she hadn't been used to the Columbus' own massive medical levels.  Still, for a starship, it was huge and she was in charge of it.  Her office was the right size for the size of the sickbay but she felt it was just a bit too large.  It made her feel small for some reason so she preferred to work outside of it.  It also put her in a position where her staff can have easier access to her.  At the moment she was alone in the Pediatric Ward as the staff was having a meeting.  Jamie mainly left the Ward Leaders to their own and tried not to micro-manage.  It seemed to work and she was aware that Dr. Manning wouldn't appreciate the CMO breathing down her neck at her Ward Meeting.  So that left her completely free to inspect the advanced ward on her own at least she thought she was on her own.

Quote from: Non-Playing Character 2 on January 24, 2017, 01:59:59 PM

[NPC - Luther Sloan]

Luther walked into Sickbay during a time when he know Dr. McConnel would be working.  And when no one else would be there.  "Excuse me Dr. McConnel, would you have a moment to meet with me?" he asked.

She had not heard the man come in, even with her inherited Vulcan hearing.  Fortunately, she kept herself from gasping and instead gave the stranger a polite smile, "Of course..." Her eyes flickered around, looking instinctively for the nearest exit.  For some reason this man made her spine go cold.  "Mister?"  She looked at his clothing, hoping that he'd have a rank but that wouldn't necessarily tell her what his name was.

Human/Vulcan Hybrid
"Tis better to have it and not need it, than need it and not have it!"

James A. Hawke

Quote from: Non-Playing Character 2 on January 24, 2017, 01:59:59 PM

[Several Days before the transfer - Tempest Lounge]

[NPC - Luther Sloan]

Luther sat in a chair waiting for James Hawke to arrive for a meeting.  He had claimed to know James' Grandfather, Joseph, and his Father, Kenneth.  Just to make sure James would accept the invitation to meet with him.

[James' Quarters U.S.S. Tempest]
James looked at his old wedding ring kept hidden in his safe.  He held in his hand the precious silver colored metal with an engraving in the inside of the ring.  The engraving stated the date of his wedding and his partner.

He looked inside the safe his other priced possession, his old uniform.  The red shirt contained burn marks, dirt and tears from the countless battles in the war.  He often wondered what would have been like if he did not alter the timeline.  He looked at the uniformed and remembered that it was almost two years since he came back for his mission.

He took the ring in his hand and gave it a gentle kiss.  He looked at the ring and said to the ring "I miss you...and I wish you were here.  What I want is to be with you, but it had to be done".  As he finished he slowly placed the ring back into his safe.  As he locked the safe he activated his bio metrics.  He had several security devices inside the safe in the event someone attempts to hack his safe.  Even though the contents were benign a ring and a uniform a detail analysis would show something different.

He turned around and grabbed his yellow uniform.  He grabbed the PADD and looked at his schedule.  Several days ago he had scheduled a meeting with a gentleman called Luther Sloan.  He claimed to have information about his Father and Grandfather.  It gave enough details to pick his interest, but he did not think much of it.  Maybe it was a student of his grandfather or an acquaintance of his dad.     Before leaving James made sure that the safe is closed.   Other than the meeting it appeared to be another ordinary day on the ship...

[Tempest Lounge]

Hawke felt the doors behind him swish closed as he entered the lounge.  He looked around the lounge and noticed several crewmen chatting and talking.  The lounge was an area that rank matter little and it was one of his favorite places to be.

He had been on the ship for several months as a Senior Officer and he began to start getting to know by name the 1,000 individuals serving on this magnificent ship.

He walked up to the table where a total stranger sat.  He noticed his clothing were a little dark and not Starfleet Standard Uniform.  He walked up the individual with a slight smile and James asked "Excuse me, are you Mr. Sloan?"

He gave a warm smile and inquired "Do you mind if I get you a drink?"  As he finished he extended his hand for a handshake in a friendly gesture.

Click on the Badge to see bio

Non-Playing Character 2

Quote from: James A. Hawke on January 25, 2017, 12:52:20 AM

[James' Quarters U.S.S. Tempest]
James looked at his old wedding ring kept hidden in his safe.  He held in his hand the precious silver colored metal with an engraving in the inside of the ring.  The engraving stated the date of his wedding and his partner.

He looked inside the safe his other priced possession, his old uniform.  The red shirt contained burn marks, dirt and tears from the countless battles in the war.  He often wondered what would have been like if he did not alter the timeline.  He looked at the uniformed and remembered that it was almost two years since he came back for his mission.

He took the ring in his hand and gave it a gentle kiss.  He looked at the ring and said to the ring "I miss you...and I wish you were here.  What I want is to be with you, but it had to be done".  As he finished he slowly placed the ring back into his safe.  As he locked the safe he activated his bio metrics.  He had several security devices inside the safe in the event someone attempts to hack his safe.  Even though the contents were benign a ring and a uniform a detail analysis would show something different.

He turned around and grabbed his yellow uniform.  He grabbed the PADD and looked at his schedule.  Several days ago he had scheduled a meeting with a gentleman called Luther Sloan.  He claimed to have information about his Father and Grandfather.  It gave enough details to pick his interest, but he did not think much of it.  Maybe it was a student of his grandfather or an acquaintance of his dad.     Before leaving James made sure that the safe is closed.   Other than the meeting it appeared to be another ordinary day on the ship...

[Tempest Lounge]

Hawke felt the doors behind him swish closed as he entered the lounge.  He looked around the lounge and noticed several crewmen chatting and talking.  The lounge was an area that rank matter little and it was one of his favorite places to be.

He had been on the ship for several months as a Senior Officer and he began to start getting to know by name the 1,000 individuals serving on this magnificent ship.

He walked up to the table where a total stranger sat.  He noticed his clothing were a little dark and not Starfleet Standard Uniform.  He walked up the individual with a slight smile and James asked "Excuse me, are you Mr. Sloan?"

He gave a warm smile and inquired "Do you mind if I get you a drink?"  As he finished he extended his hand for a handshake in a friendly gesture.

[Tempest - Lounge]

"Yes, that would be me" Sloan replied.  He stood and shook the Hawke's hand.  "I'll have one as well" he added as he signaled a waiter and ordered drinks for the two of them.

"Please sit" Luther said as he sat back down and waited for Hawke to folllow.  "You look just like your father.  He and your Grandfather would be so proud of you for you upcoming promotion" he said as the drinks arrived.

"Congratulation" Sloan said a he tapped his glass to Hawke's and then sipped his drink.  "XO is a fine position.  But you would make a better Captain and I can help to make that happen" he added as he leaned back in into his seat.

Non-Playing Character 2

Quote from: Jamie McConnell on January 25, 2017, 12:38:24 AM

CMO Office

The sheer size of the USS Shran's sickbay would have overwhelmed Jamie if she hadn't been used to the Columbus' own massive medical levels.  Still, for a starship, it was huge and she was in charge of it.  Her office was the right size for the size of the sickbay but she felt it was just a bit too large.  It made her feel small for some reason so she preferred to work outside of it.  It also put her in a position where her staff can have easier access to her.  At the moment she was alone in the Pediatric Ward as the staff was having a meeting.  Jamie mainly left the Ward Leaders to their own and tried not to micro-manage.  It seemed to work and she was aware that Dr. Manning wouldn't appreciate the CMO breathing down her neck at her Ward Meeting.  So that left her completely free to inspect the advanced ward on her own at least she thought she was on her own.

She had not heard the man come in, even with her inherited Vulcan hearing.  Fortunately, she kept herself from gasping and instead gave the stranger a polite smile, "Of course..." Her eyes flickered around, looking instinctively for the nearest exit.  For some reason this man made her spine go cold.  "Mister?"  She looked at his clothing, hoping that he'd have a rank but that wouldn't necessarily tell her what his name was.

[Starbase - Sickbay]

"Sloan, but my name is not important" Luther replied.  "I'm actually here about your husband, Cayden.  He's life is in danger" he said.

"But I can save him.  And I want to.  I just need you to do one little thing for me" Luther added.

Sevoc

[CO's Office, Starbase Columbus]

Sevoc had been summoned to the Captain Stafford's office. He wasn't exactly sure what it was for, but had a feeling something important was about to happen. Despite still dealing with some residual effects of zombie virus, he was still performing more than adequately. The captain and Sevoc had something of a working relationship ever since that particular incident.

"Sir, you wanted to see me?" the hybrid asked his commanding officer.

So that would make me a blue-blooded hobgoblin?
Alt for Leo

Non-Playing Character 2

[Before the Transfer - Starbase Columbus - Conference Room]

Sloan stood in a conference room on the Starbase.  He has reserved the room.  And he had arranged a meeting with Alex Harmon.

He was dressed as a StarFleet Officer.  Alex was from a long line of Starfleet officers.  Appealing to the man's sense of honor would best approach with him.

Alex Harmon

Quote from: Non-Playing Character 2 on January 25, 2017, 03:38:56 AM

[Before the Transfer - Starbase Columbus - Conference Room]

Sloan stood in a conference room on the Starbase.  He has reserved the room.  And he had arranged a meeting with Alex Harmon.

He was dressed as a StarFleet Officer.  Alex was from a long line of Starfleet officers.  Appealing to the man's sense of honor would best approach with him.

[Junior Officer Quarters - Starbase Columbus]

Alex woke up to the beeping of the alarm he had set. Since the zombie virus that had ravaged the Starbase months ago had been dealt with, Alex had been working even longer shifts than normal so he had been grabbing whatever sleep he could whenever he could in between breaks.

As he got out of bed, he hit his head on the bunk above him, cursing and groaning in pain. It was then that he remembered why he had set the alarm. A rather high ranking Starfleet Officer had gotten in touch with him and arranged a cryptic meeting. The Officer hadn't given his name and had simply set a time and place and told Alex to be there. He figured that it might have something to do with his Intelligence ties, it certainly was cryptic enough for SFI.

Alex quickly got dressed, putting on his yellow shirt and grey jacket before leaving and heading for the Conference room.

[Conference Room]

Alex quietly stepped into the room and saw the officer, whom he did not recognise standing there in dress uniform. There was something off about the man but Alex couldn't quite put his finger on what. He silently approached the smiling figure and tugged on his uniform before uttering a single word. "Sir?"

James H. Hawk's Alt

T'Ra Jones

Quote from: Non-Playing Character 2 on January 25, 2017, 12:31:56 AM

Sloan had done his homework before visiting T'Ra Jones.  He had done his homework before meeting the other new members of the Shran crew.  But this one was going to somewhat harder than the rest.

T'Ra was happy.  Wanted for nothing.  And as a Vulcan, mostly free of emotion and thus harder to persuade.

But Luther had a gift for persuading people to do things they might not typically want to do.  In fact, his success rate was better than anyone else he knew.  The best in fact and he was up to the challenge.

So, he rang T'Ra's door bell.  He knew that Evan would be with her.  Knowledge he would put to good use.

An easy silence fell between the two, both relatively content to just enjoy the moment, but this was suddenly interrupted by the shrill chime at her door. T'Ra looked at Evan to find he was staring at her, dead serious as he asserted, "I'm not leaving this time. No. Not after what happened the other day. I'll hide under the bed if you tell me to go." He had crossed his arms, almost pout-like, so T'Ra knew there was no point in arguing. She let out a brief sigh before turning towards the door, saying, "Enter."

Ich lache, weil es ein Loch in mir gibt.
-Evan Buehler

Jamie McConnell

Quote from: Non-Playing Character 2 on January 25, 2017, 01:34:51 AM

[Starbase - Sickbay]

"Sloan, but my name is not important" Luther replied.  "I'm actually here about your husband, Cayden.  He's life is in danger" he said.

"But I can save him.  And I want to.  I just need you to do one little thing for me" Luther added.

CMO office

The man's words came out hurried, rushed enough to almost be convincing by adding the pressure to respond favorably.  Jamie, however panicked she may have been at first, slowly took in the situation.  She knew what her husband did for a living, although perhaps not the details but enough to be weary of this man.

Dr. McConnell readied her words and her nerves and responded as evenly as she could all the while retaining her temper, "My...my husband's job requires some danger to his life, Mr. Sloan..." Her long fingers curled around the fringes of her uniform as she reigned in the terror that threatened to consume her, "Surely nothing I can do will help, but let's hear it." Jamie narrowed sharp green eyes at the man before her, "What do you want from me, Mr. Sloan?"

Human/Vulcan Hybrid
"Tis better to have it and not need it, than need it and not have it!"

Non-Playing Character 2

Quote from: Alex Harmon on January 25, 2017, 05:01:03 AM

[Junior Officer Quarters - Starbase Columbus]

Alex woke up to the beeping of the alarm he had set. Since the zombie virus that had ravaged the Starbase months ago had been dealt with, Alex had been working even longer shifts than normal so he had been grabbing whatever sleep he could whenever he could in between breaks.

As he got out of bed, he hit his head on the bunk above him, cursing and groaning in pain. It was then that he remembered why he had set the alarm. A rather high ranking Starfleet Officer had gotten in touch with him and arranged a cryptic meeting. The Officer hadn't given his name and had simply set a time and place and told Alex to be there. He figured that it might have something to do with his Intelligence ties, it certainly was cryptic enough for SFI.

Alex quickly got dressed, putting on his yellow shirt and grey jacket before leaving and heading for the Conference room.

[Conference Room]

Alex quietly stepped into the room and saw the officer, whom he did not recognise standing there in dress uniform. There was something off about the man but Alex couldn't quite put his finger on what. He silently approached the smiling figure and tugged on his uniform before uttering a single word. "Sir?"

[Columbus - Conference Room]

"Ah, Mr. Harmon.  Please have a seat" Luther said.  "I have it on good authority that you are an up an coming Intelligence Officer.  And I have a career making opportunity for you" he said.

He clicked a button to start a slide show he had prepared.  Images and copies documents were displayed.  "You are being reassigned to the USS Shran.  Under the leadership of Admiral Kirok" Sloan added.

"What most people do not know is the Kirok at one time was a secret spy for Section 31.  An organization he is now supposedly trying to take down with his rather public war against them.  That seems oddly suspicious to us and we have opened an investigation into the matter.  We want you to lead the investigation and discredit Kirok" Luther explained.

Non-Playing Character 2

Quote from: T'Ra Jones on January 25, 2017, 06:44:26 AM

An easy silence fell between the two, both relatively content to just enjoy the moment, but this was suddenly interrupted by the shrill chime at her door. T'Ra looked at Evan to find he was staring at her, dead serious as he asserted, "œI'm not leaving this time. No. Not after what happened the other day. I'll hide under the bed if you tell me to go." He had crossed his arms, almost pout-like, so T'Ra knew there was no point in arguing. She let out a brief sigh before turning towards the door, saying, "œEnter."

[Starbase Edmund, Personal Quarters]

Luther walked into the room and smiled at the couple.  He even offered them a slight bow.  "Ms. Jones.  Evan.  I'm from the future and I've come to warn you of an urgent matter" he said.

"History shows that Admiral Kirok will be taking a prisoner aboard the Discovery very soon.  He will transfer this man over to the USS Shran in a matter of days.  If the prisoner reaches the intended destination, a sequence of events will follow that could ultimately result in Evans' death" he added.

"But if you release the prisoner, you can save Evan.  See your old Vice Admiral access codes are still active.  A clerical error, I'm sure.  But freeing the prisoner is the only way to save Evan" Luther said.

🡱 🡳

RPG-D Sci-Fi Avatars RPG Initiative RPGfix RPG Initiative Fodlan Chronicles

Star Trek and all related marks, logos and characters are solely owned by CBS Studios Inc. This fan production is not endorsed by, sponsored by, nor affiliated with CBS, Paramount Pictures, or any other Star Trek franchise, and is a non-commercial fan-made production intended for recreational use. No commercial exhibition or distribution is permitted. No alleged independent rights will be asserted against CBS or Paramount Pictures.