Author Topic: S1 - Mission 5 - In Illo Tempore  (Read 45747 times)

Offline Malcolm Adeyemi

• Shadow Fleet Reserves
  • Champion Member
  • Awarded to any player who has been with the Fleet 5 Years Awarded in January and July by the FCO to crew of the most organized SIMM. Awarded in January and July to the player who writes the most engaging posts. Awarded to players in recognition of their recruitment efforts. Awarded to players who successfully complete the EPC or ATC.
    • View Profile
    • Awards
S1 - Mission 5 - In Illo Tempore
« on: January 03, 2017, 06:01:43 am »
Station Log - Stardate 31700.48

The events of the previous month are behind us, as is the holiday season for us humans. I can say that with certainly I am thankful for them both to be over.

I am afraid this is going to be a strenuous and yet boring month here on the Station. Now that crew morale is attended to we are forced to return to the thankless task of repair. And to mourn.

One bright spot is that I am going to be joined by another command level officer, one captain Kyle Briggs. He will be taking over Dan's role as the chief engineer and also our Strategic Operations Officer. Both are sorely needed thanks to the damage wreaked by last month's accidental release of pathogens.

[CO's Office]

Stafford sat on his office desk, PADD in hand, cane leaned against one of the old fashioned leather chairs he kept in the place. He preferred to keep things low key and classy. There was a real rug on the deck, wooden bookshelves against the bulkheads.

But as handsome as his office was the rest of the station was in a morbid state of disrepair. The deadhead been policed, but the damage was still evident. This morning when he had walked to his office Stafford had seen more damage on his station then on any of the shifts that he had previously served upon. There were still fires in some places, and God only knows what state the major systems were in.

First things first, then.

"=/\=Captain Stafford to captain Briggs. Would you join me in my office immediately?=/\="

Offline Sevoc

• Shadow Fleet Reserves
  • Experienced Member
  • That is most illogical...
  • Awarded to any player who stuck with the site during the June 2017 Site Move Awarded to players who have been with the fleet for six months. Awarded in January 2017 to all active members. Awarded in January and July by the FCO to crew of the most organized SIMM. Awarded to players who go above and beyond what is asked of them.
    • View Profile
    • Awards
Re: S1 - Mission 5 - In Illo Tempore
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2017, 06:42:59 am »
{Crew Quarters}

Sevoc lay on his bed. The insomnia was getting worse. And when he did find sleep, the images that found him were not his own.

He turned to his clock.

"Well, looks like I have a few hours before I'm supposed to be up," he thought to himself.

He tapped the combadge on his nightstand.

=/\="Sevoc to sickbay. Is Dr. McConnell in? I have a matter I need to discuss with her."=/\=

He waited for a reply.
« Last Edit: January 03, 2017, 06:45:52 am by Sevoc »

So that would make me a blue-blooded hobgoblin?
Alt for Leo

Offline Steve Marshall

• Shadow Fleet Reserves
  • Competent Member
  • There is screaming in space
  • Awarded to any player who donates money to help keep SF running Awarded in January and July by the FCO to crew of the most active SIMM. Awarded to players who are always online and posting. Awarded to players who have been with the fleet for six months. Awarded in January 2017 to all active members.
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2017, 02:12:22 pm »
So much had happened  in the last few months. Duly the intervention of fate of a certain little girl. Who had settled in despite the  cards that had been dealt her. Steve had now been reassigned to the citadel class station Colombus.

The station was larger than any think he had ever served on and he spent most of the time asking people how to get to to certain parts of the station.  Steve now had to settle down and meet the command staff and his new boss. It was time to start getting back to normal he had spoken to the stations education staff and got Kate a place in school for now it's time to get back to work.

Offline Shani

• Shadow Fleet Reserves
  • Probationer
  • Awarded to players who have been with the fleet for six months. Awarded in January 2017 to all active members.
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #3 on: January 03, 2017, 02:50:11 pm »
[Outside CO's Office]

It had been awhile since Shani formally put on military attire. Everything was neatly pressed, her pip was accurately positioned on her collar and her boots were shined and ready to go.

Like her, all Andorians prized an impeccable eye for everything precise - especially in the military. Her presence on her way for an introduction to her CO was a stark contrast to the damage that went on in the station earlier. She had not been there. Her transport was delayed to the Starbase for that reason alone.

She was here now. She pressed the buzzer in front of the CO's door and stood at parade rest.

Offline Malcolm Adeyemi

• Shadow Fleet Reserves
  • Champion Member
  • Awarded to any player who has been with the Fleet 5 Years Awarded in January and July by the FCO to crew of the most organized SIMM. Awarded in January and July to the player who writes the most engaging posts. Awarded to players in recognition of their recruitment efforts. Awarded to players who successfully complete the EPC or ATC.
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #4 on: January 03, 2017, 02:55:47 pm »
[Outside CO's Office]

It had been awhile since Shani formally put on military attire. Everything was neatly pressed, her pip was accurately positioned on her collar and her boots were shined and ready to go.

Like her, all Andorians prized an impeccable eye for everything precise - especially in the military. Her presence on her way for an introduction to her CO was a stark contrast to the damage that went on in the station earlier. She had not been there. Her transport was delayed to the Starbase for that reason alone.

She was here now. She pressed the buzzer in front of the CO's door and stood at parade rest.

[CO's Office]

Mistakenly, Stafford thought that Briggs had responded immediately and saw fit to ask to be admitted even though he had been summoned. An eyebrow raised. He would not have expected this type of behavior from a Starfleet captain.

So when he responded with his usual Come on in he was surprised when an Andorian ensign entered his office.

The captain blinked and realized that it was a new officer reporting in, but it wasn't Briggs. His files told him that Briggs was a human Irishman, but an Andorian female. But no matter.

Stafford was still casually perched on the edge of his desk. He had a copy of one of his favorite books, Jack London's The Call of the Wild, in his hands. Like a lot of other things in his office it was old fashioned, a paper hard back.

"Squeeze a cheek, ensign. Shani, right?" With difficulty, the captain got to his feet and put down his book. "Go on, sit down. I was just about to have a drink. Like one?"

Offline Shani

• Shadow Fleet Reserves
  • Probationer
  • Awarded to players who have been with the fleet for six months. Awarded in January 2017 to all active members.
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #5 on: January 03, 2017, 04:27:51 pm »
[CO's Office]

Mistakenly, Stafford thought that Briggs had responded immediately and saw fit to ask to be admitted even though he had been summoned. An eyebrow raised. He would not have expected this type of behavior from a Starfleet captain.

So when he responded with his usual Come on in he was surprised when an Andorian ensign entered his office.

The captain blinked and realized that it was a new officer reporting in, but it wasn't Briggs. His files told him that Briggs was a human Irishman, but an Andorian female. But no matter.

Stafford was still casually perched on the edge of his desk. He had a copy of one of his favorite books, Jack London's The Call of the Wild, in his hands. Like a lot of other things in his office it was old fashioned, a paper hard back.

"Squeeze a cheek, ensign. Shani, right?" With difficulty, the captain got to his feet and put down his book. "Go on, sit down. I was just about to have a drink. Like one?"

[CO's Office]

Shani watched him carefully stand. Her mouth twitched at the human euphemism. What did that mean? She blinked once and, undaunted, pressed a finger against the side of her cheek as per his direction.

"No thank you. I am officially on duty," she told him. "Drinking would not be appropriate, sir."

Offline Malcolm Adeyemi

• Shadow Fleet Reserves
  • Champion Member
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #6 on: January 03, 2017, 04:41:49 pm »
[CO's Office]

Shani watched him carefully stand. Her mouth twitched at the human euphemism. What did that mean? She blinked once and, undaunted, pressed a finger against the side of her cheek as per his direction.

"No thank you. I am officially on duty," she told him. "Drinking would not be appropriate, sir."

[CO's Office]

It had been so long since Stafford had dealt with an Andorian that he had forgotten. Of course they would consider drinking on duty inappropriate. What did that say about him?

"Suit yourself," Stafford said. He went to the replictor and ordered some syntheholic Irish whiskey, straight up. He hadn't drank in a long time, even the fake stuff, but at the Christmas party recently Admiral Newberry had offered him a drink. Stafford hadn't thought it was prudent to refuse, and now he was back on the stuff. Only synthetic though.

"So, ensign, fresh out of the Academy, are you?" The captain asked. "Who did you have for philosophy?"

Offline Shani

• Shadow Fleet Reserves
  • Probationer
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #7 on: January 03, 2017, 05:20:12 pm »
[CO's Office]

It had been so long since Stafford had dealt with an Andorian that he had forgotten. Of course they would consider drinking on duty inappropriate. What did that say about him?

"Suit yourself," Stafford said. He went to the replictor and ordered some syntheholic Irish whiskey, straight up. He hadn't drank in a long time, even the fake stuff, but at the Christmas party recently Admiral Newberry had offered him a drink. Stafford hadn't thought it was prudent to refuse, and now he was back on the stuff. Only synthetic though.

"So, ensign, fresh out of the Academy, are you?" The captain asked. "Who did you have for philosophy?"

[Co's Office]

"I did not stay for more than a year at the Academy," Shani told him while he worked the replicator. "My prior studies and military background in the Imperial Guard was more than enough for my credits. Most if not all of my subjects were taken by test and simulation. Including Lieutenant Commander Leahy's philosophy course."

Dry and dull. She might as well be a Vulcan. "Unless you want me to speak candidly on Leahy's garish nature," she clarified. "That would require your permission to speak freely, sir."

Offline Malcolm Adeyemi

• Shadow Fleet Reserves
  • Champion Member
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #8 on: January 03, 2017, 05:26:29 pm »
[Co's Office]

"I did not stay for more than a year at the Academy," Shani told him while he worked the replicator. "My prior studies and military background in the Imperial Guard was more than enough for my credits. Most if not all of my subjects were taken by test and simulation. Including Lieutenant Commander Leahy's philosophy course."

Dry and dull. She might as well be a Vulcan. "Unless you want me to speak candidly on Leahy's garish nature," she clarified. "That would require your permission to speak freely, sir."

[CO's Office]

"You're talking to a veteran of that same course, ensign." Stafford was back seated at his desk, leaning back just a bit and ankles crossed comfortably. The difference between the ramrod straight, former Imperial Guardsman and the Starfleet commanding officer was striking.

The replicated whiskey was modeled after Bushmills. His favorite spirit. The glass was cut crystal, and the drink was a gorgeous golden brown, like an optimally baked loaf of bread. Stafford drank and sighed. He was one of those people that made whatever he was eating or drinking look absolutely delicious.

"It's fairly basic here, ensign." Stafford told her, putting down the drained glass and looking up at the young Andorian woman. "You get to your department, learn from the crew that has been here for a while, and go to work. Right now I want you to report in to Lieutenant Denovitz. Call him 'Avi', everyone else does. Last month we had to use the shuttles to try to evacuate some of the station's children to safety. It worked, but we had to exceed safety protocol to do it. So I'm sure there's plenty of work to be done."

Offline Shani

• Shadow Fleet Reserves
  • Probationer
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #9 on: January 03, 2017, 05:51:05 pm »
[CO's Office]

"You're talking to a veteran of that same course, ensign." Stafford was back seated at his desk, leaning back just a bit and ankles crossed comfortably. The difference between the ramrod straight, former Imperial Guardsman and the Starfleet commanding officer was striking.

The replicated whiskey was modeled after Bushmills. His favorite spirit. The glass was cut crystal, and the drink was a gorgeous golden brown, like an optimally baked loaf of bread. Stafford drank and sighed. He was one of those people that made whatever he was eating or drinking look absolutely delicious.

"It's fairly basic here, ensign." Stafford told her, putting down the drained glass and looking up at the young Andorian woman. "You get to your department, learn from the crew that has been here for a while, and go to work. Right now I want you to report in to Lieutenant Denovitz. Call him 'Avi', everyone else does. Last month we had to use the shuttles to try to evacuate some of the station's children to safety. It worked, but we had to exceed safety protocol to do it. So I'm sure there's plenty of work to be done."

[CO's Office]

Shani wasn't used to her commanding officer so lax at his desk and idly sipping on alcohol. That, and the report she read earlier about the starbase attack, gave her a tiny spark of dread.

"From your 'zombie' attack," she said. Not her words, but one of the officers she shared a turbolift with on the way up. "The report was brief. Are the shuttles damaged, then?"

Offline Malcolm Adeyemi

• Shadow Fleet Reserves
  • Champion Member
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #10 on: January 03, 2017, 06:00:19 pm »
[CO's Office]

Shani wasn't used to her commanding officer so lax at his desk and idly sipping on alcohol. That, and the report she read earlier about the starbase attack, gave her a tiny spark of dread.

"From your 'zombie' attack," she said. Not her words, but one of the officers she shared a turbolift with on the way up. "The report was brief. Are the shuttles damaged, then?"

[CO's Office]

"A lot is. I'd imagine so." Idly, like a little boy, Stafford pedaled his feet around in his chair to swing it in a circle and grabbed a PADD. While he did have a childlike spark in him, he was also being practical: it would take him a long time to stand with his hip.

"Yes, significant damage." The captain tossed the Andorian woman the PADD underhanded. It was a jocular, friendly toss, like two friends throwing a football to one another. "None of them had time to turn off the shuttlebay's mini-tractor beams, so those are damaged. Hull and nacelle damage on most shuttles due to the stresses of the sudden escape. And I am sure a great deal of internal damage from cramming in so many poor kids in there."

The captain frowned, and ran a hand over his thin, grey-flecked goatee and mustache. Stafford looked like a skeleton that had been dipped in wax. He was thin, hawk faced. His chin and nose were as sharp as blades, his lips thin. His eyes were deep set into the fleshless face. If one looked hard enough they could see the shape of a skull beginning to emerge from his face, and the shaved head only exacerbated this effect. He looked worn out, or worse.

"Anyway, Avi should have the story. He's a good Department Head, a funny guy. Ask him about the old burrito on the ski trip story, the first time I heard that I laughed so hard I didn't know whether to shit myself or go deaf. I imagine you two will..." Stafford looked at the ramrod straight woman, who looked like a phaser being stood upright, she was so stiff and military proper. She didn't look like the laughing type. "...well, you two will be in the same department together."

Offline Octavius Reo

• Shadow Fleet Reserves
  • Applicant
  • Awarded to players who have been with the fleet for six months. Awarded to any player who writes the Post of the Month. Awarded in January 2017 to all active members. Awarded to players who participate in a Spread the Word campaign.
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #11 on: January 03, 2017, 06:03:07 pm »
[CO's Office - En Route]

As much as Octavius felt a bit bad at leaving his old Admiral behind, when he saw the work that needed to be done on the Starbase Columbus it was as if every gift-giving holiday he knew occurred in the same moment. His eyes had gone wide with excitement, and he had barely taken the time to move his effects to his quarters before pulling on his tool belt, grabbing his box of other tools, and setting off for the CO's office.

He wanted to head straight to Engineering to get started, but it would be rude not to alert the Captain to his presence on the ship; or so he had been told. Tav was not really one for formalities, but at least it might give him a chance to make a good impression.

When he came up to the door, he noticed it was open. The species of the first person he saw was not one he knew the name of even though he had seen a few around the academy. Octavius' gaze shifted to the man in the Captain's seat, and he grinned. Giving a small wave, he let himself step through the open door, and introduced himself. "Mornin' Captain. Octavius Reo, Engineering Cadet at your service." He felt almost like he should salute, but judging by the other man's posture it probably was not required.
« Last Edit: January 03, 2017, 06:27:20 pm by Octavius Reo »

Offline Malcolm Adeyemi

• Shadow Fleet Reserves
  • Champion Member
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #12 on: January 03, 2017, 06:34:12 pm »
[CO's Office]

When he came up to the door, he noticed it was open. The species of the first person he saw was not one he knew the name of even though he had seen a few around the academy. Octavius' gaze shifted to the man in the Captain's seat, and he grinned. Giving a small wave, he let himself step through the open door, and introduced himself. "Mornin' Captain. Octavius Reo, Engineering Cadet at your service." He felt almost like he should salute, but judging by the other man's posture it probably was not required.

[CO's Office]

"Yeah, come on in." Stafford waved the young man forward. He turned to the Andorian woman. "I think that about does us, ensign. Report in to Lieutenant Avi down on the flight deck. And welcome aboard, let me know if you need anything."

"Cadet, cadet, cadet." The captain stood, with considerable difficulty. His hip creaked audibly. He extended a hairy, thin hand. "Welcome to the Columbus. So you're my new engineer?"

The cadet looked human enough, but the lighting in his office hit his skin in a certain way and then it clicked who the young man was. He was a Serosian, the telltale metallic tone to his skin gave it away.

Offline Michael J. Tritter

• Shadow Fleet Reserves
  • Trusted Member
  • Don't trifle with Tritter
  • Awarded to players on completion of 10 years service with the fleet. 2018 Starfleet Intelligence: Strategic Science Summit  Featured missiion Awarded to any player who donates money to help keep SF running Awarded to those who demonstrate an ability to convey the action of combat.
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #13 on: January 03, 2017, 06:42:42 pm »
So much had happened  in the last few months. Duly the intervention of fate of a certain little girl. Who had settled in despite the  cards that had been dealt her. Steve had now been reassigned to the citadel class station Colombus.

The station was larger than any think he had ever served on and he spent most of the time asking people how to get to to certain parts of the station.  Steve now had to settle down and meet the command staff and his new boss. It was time to start getting back to normal he had spoken to the stations education staff and got Kate a place in school for now it's time to get back to work.

Tritter had been working away in his office. The man had several options for Offices, he preferred the Security Chief office often to the Second Officer one, as he felt a little akward if there was Admirals and such around. He than heard a knock on the door while he was working, he keyed in for the door to open and said "Come in" His heavily accented voice was calm yet assertive as he spoke.

It's not the size of the dog in the fight that matters, but the size of the fight in the dog

Offline Steve Marshall

• Shadow Fleet Reserves
  • Competent Member
  • There is screaming in space
  • Awarded to any player who donates money to help keep SF running Awarded in January and July by the FCO to crew of the most active SIMM. Awarded to players who are always online and posting. Awarded to players who have been with the fleet for six months. Awarded in January 2017 to all active members.
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #14 on: January 03, 2017, 06:51:15 pm »
Tritter had been working away in his office. The man had several options for Offices, he preferred the Security Chief office often to the Second Officer one, as he felt a little akward if there was Admirals and such around. He than heard a knock on the door while he was working, he keyed in for the door to open and said "Come in" His heavily accented voice was calm yet assertive as he spoke.

Steve walked in to the officer where the man was busy working away at his desk. " Excuse me Sir I am Lt. JG. Steve Marshall." He waited for a second. " I was assigned to the Discovery as there acting chief of Security. Until a little person was left with me. I am now finding myself assigned a security officer at this Assignment".

Steve couldn't count the times he had heard himself repeat this conversation to a number of people over the last few days " I would have come sooner but circumstances have not been in my favour" He handed the man his transfer papers " I am reporting for duty". 

RPG-D Sci-Fi Avatars RPG Initiative RPGfix RPG Initiative Fodlan Chronicles