Author Topic: A Secret Meeting (Closed to Luke/Kirok)  (Read 7016 times)

Offline Kirok

• Shadow Fleet Reserves
  • Triumphant Member
  • Awarded in January 2017 to all active members. Awarded in January and July to the most diplomatic player. Awarded to any player who writes the Post of the Month. Awarded every January by the FCO. Awarded to the winner of the bi-annual crew choice poll.
    • View Profile
    • Awards
A Secret Meeting (Closed to Luke/Kirok)
« on: December 01, 2016, 06:49:44 pm »
[Diplomatic Assemblies & Facilities Area]

Kirok had arrived at the Starbase during the night shift under the 'cloak of darkness' so to speak.  To further keep his arrival secret he had even arrived on a Vulcan Ambassador's ship.  And asked to be placed in Ambassador quarters.

The officer on duty at the time had made the arrangement without questions.  And luckily had not recognized the half Vulcan.  So, Kirok was quite certain that no one knew that he was on the station.  Not his friends and definitely not his enemies in Section 31.

With little time to waste, Kirok placed orders with the chef to prepare a somewhat lavish breakfast.  Though he was not much of a foodie himself, his intended guest was.  And shortly before the food arrived, Kirok send an encoded message to Luke Stafford with an invitation to meet him.

Species:  Betazoid/Vulcan.
Being kind to others costs nothing & builds a stronger community.

Offline Malcolm Adeyemi

• Shadow Fleet Reserves
  • Champion Member
  • Awarded to any player who has been with the Fleet 5 Years Awarded in January and July by the FCO to crew of the most organized SIMM. Awarded in January and July to the player who writes the most engaging posts. Awarded to players in recognition of their recruitment efforts. Awarded to players who successfully complete the EPC or ATC.
    • View Profile
    • Awards
Re: A Secret Meeting (Closed to Luke/Kirok)
« Reply #1 on: December 01, 2016, 07:22:50 pm »
[Infirmary - SB Columbus]

"How old are you, sweetheart?" Stafford asked by way of greeting.

For weeks now, he had been pitching in when it came to medical at the Columbus. Dr. McConnell's staff was large, but they were far outnumbered by the amount of bumps, bruises, and scrapes that they encountered every day. 50,000 people can hurt themselves a lot of ways.

This little girl had been trying to visit her father, who was a civilian working on one of the many loading docks on the Columbus. As the transporters were still down after last month's zombie incident, they'd had to move everything with micro-tractor beams. And one of them had malfunctioned, causing some maintenance parts to fall onto the little girl's arm and break it.

She was still in shock. Stafford took advantage of her not knowing about her injury.

"I'm 7." She was human, mostly, but due to the slight tinge of green in her skin, a forehead that protruded just a bit, and ears that tapered to a gentle point, Stafford was willing to bet she had a touch of Romulan or Vulcan in her.

"And what's your name?" He was busy waving a medical tricorder over the arm in question. Good. One fracture, not compound. Have you fixed up in a second, sweetie.

"It's Xhanara."

"That's a pretty name, sweetie," Stafford said. It was difficult, but he had always been good with children. He heard the voice of the father he had been when he spoke to her.

As he swapped out instruments and some flickers of healing light began to mend the bone, unseen, his thoughts went to his own children. Child. It had been years since he had seen either of them, and one had been taken from him permanently. But old habits die hard.

"Thank you, doctor. My daddy works on the loading dock." The little girl said.

"I know, and he's on his way now." Stafford said. He smiled at her, genuinely and warmly. "No one has called me 'doctor' in a long time, especially someone as pretty as you. You're all better. Why don't you wait for your father here? Nurse Haddad, can you--"

"=/\=Commander Stafford, this is Ensign Prince in Ops. Please report to the diplomatic assembly room immediately.=/\="

"=/\=Acknowledged.=/\=" Stafford smiled at the little girl. "The nurse will see to you until your dad comes."

When he arrived, the commander was just a bit taken aback by the choice of setting. This wasn't the diplomatic conference room, but the secret meeting place for Federation diplomats. It was a war room, of sorts, to hammer out eleventh hour strategies. Or to dispose or bribe another official. It didn't sit well with him.

But when he found who was waiting for him, he couldn't have been more surprised.

Offline Kirok

• Shadow Fleet Reserves
  • Triumphant Member
  • Awarded in January 2017 to all active members. Awarded in January and July to the most diplomatic player. Awarded to any player who writes the Post of the Month. Awarded every January by the FCO. Awarded to the winner of the bi-annual crew choice poll.
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #2 on: December 02, 2016, 02:07:04 pm »

Kirok stood we Luke entered the room.  Their friendship went back many years and he had grown to respect the man Luke had become.  "It is agreeable to see you again, my friend" the half Vulcan said sincerely and then offered Luke a deep bow.

"I hope I caught you before you ate breakfast.  Otherwise, we will have to sent this food up the mess hall for your senior officers and crew" Kirok added as he made his way back down into his seat.  "How is your leg?" he asked curiously.

The table before them was set with a variety of foods.  Meats, eggs, fruits, biscuits, and sweet breads were on a lazy susan turntable.  The centerpiece was a pineapple with a bow tied to it top.

Offline Malcolm Adeyemi

• Shadow Fleet Reserves
  • Champion Member
  • Awarded to any player who has been with the Fleet 5 Years Awarded in January and July by the FCO to crew of the most organized SIMM. Awarded in January and July to the player who writes the most engaging posts. Awarded to players in recognition of their recruitment efforts. Awarded to players who successfully complete the EPC or ATC.
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #3 on: December 02, 2016, 03:58:18 pm »
[Diplomatic Assemblies and Facilities Area]

"Admiral, this certainly is a surprise." Stafford's worn out face cracked into a pleasant smile. He had just pulled a sixteen hour shift in the infirmary. A great deal of that had been sitting at a spare terminal going through his own reports, but he was still tired.

And hungry. Stafford took in the sight of the food. Scrambled eggs had been made in an old fashioned slow cooker so they would not cool. Nearby were small bowls of cheddar cheese, chopped fresh jalapenos, mushrooms, and capers. Also on the lazy Susan was a wicker basket with a white cloth, under which croissants and cheese, prune, apple and blueberry Danishes peaked out. The pineapple was freshly cut, each delicate shred of flesh in its interior outlined with juice. A warming tray was filled with reddish brown bacon, still dabbed here and there with blots of appetizing grease. Breakfast sausage links filled another, each one small and delicate and spicy. There was even scrapple. Kirok did his homework.

The commander had been working for so long that he wanted to tuck in immediately, but that would have been rude. Instead, Stafford found a pair of clean coffee mugs, and filled them from the steaming pot. There was cream and real sugar avaialble, but the commander had never put anything in his coffee. He sipped the bitter, inky black brew and smiled.

"The leg healed quickly enough. Its the hip. If I'm unlucky I could have his limp for the rest of my life." Wanting to dismiss the subject, he then asked, "What's the occasion, sir? I can't imagine you came all the way from the Discovery just to feed me."

Offline Kirok

• Shadow Fleet Reserves
  • Triumphant Member
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #4 on: December 02, 2016, 11:34:53 pm »

"No, you would be correct on that account" Kirok replied.  He pulled a small box out of his pocket and sat it on the table near Luke's plate.  Then he pushed it a bit closer to the man.

"That is an extra pip for your uniform.  Captain" Kirok said.  "On behalf of the Fleet, our thanks for your tireless dedication.  Your efforts have not gone unrecognized and I wished to be the one to promote you in person despite" he said, but did not finish the sentence.

"I know that you have worked hard to get to where you are Luke.  Your peers respected you, as do I.  Your promotion has been well deserved, even though I had to do it in secret" the half Vulcan finished.

Offline Malcolm Adeyemi

• Shadow Fleet Reserves
  • Champion Member
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #5 on: December 05, 2016, 01:07:00 pm »

Stafford couldn't say that this was wholly unexpected. But a visit from a friend was. He had been holding out a cup of coffee to Kirok and was still doing so.

"Thank you, admiral, it's an honor." The commander waggled the steaming coffee cup. "Don't let it get cold."

He caught the look on his friend's face and smiled. "Truly, Kirok, it's appreciated. But something is troubling you, I can always tell. We'll drink a toast to my new captaincy soon, but for now tell me why you've come here in such a clandestine fashion."

Offline Kirok

• Shadow Fleet Reserves
  • Triumphant Member
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #6 on: December 05, 2016, 09:49:52 pm »

"No, you would be correct on that account" Kirok replied.  He pulled a small box out of his pocket and sat it on the table near Luke's plate.  Then he pushed it a bit closer to the man.

"That is an extra pip for your uniform.  Captain" Kirok said.  "On behalf of the Fleet, our thanks for your tireless dedication.  Your efforts have not gone unrecognized and I wished to be the one to promote you in person despite" he said, but did not finish the sentence.

"I know that you have worked hard to get to where you are Luke.  Your peers respected you, as do I.  Your promotion has been well deserved, even though I had to do it in secret" the half Vulcan finished.

"Of course" Kirok replied as he finally accepted the coffee cup.  He held it for a moment.  But instead of sipping at it, he placed it beside his mostly undisturbed plate of food.

"This issue with Section 31 has continue beyond what I had originally expected.  And they seem to be following my every moment and attacking those with whom I have visited.  So the only way for me to visit you was under the most clandestine of ways if I hoped to ensure the safety of the Starbase" Kirok said.

And then the half Vulcan went silent for a moment.  Considering if he should continue on.  Finally he made a decision.

"And my father is very ill.  It is possible that he may die within the next few months.  And it is unlikely that I will get the opportunity to visit him before that happens" Kirok said.

Offline Malcolm Adeyemi

• Shadow Fleet Reserves
  • Champion Member
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #7 on: December 06, 2016, 01:30:10 pm »

Stafford had been right, this was serious. He sat and ignored the food, took a long pull at his coffee. It tasted bitter, like the matters at hand.

"Your father I cannot help. Well." The commander said. "Maybe I cannot. But you can hide here as long as you need to."

He had a PADD in his hip pocket. He pulled it out, took a more meditative sip of his coffee, and tapped up some commands on the small, handheld computer. When he had the files he wanted he slid it across the table to his old friend.

"We have approximately 50,000 personnel here on the station, both civilian and Starfleet. All of the Starfleet are Academy trained. Most of the civilians are freighter crews and pilots, and they can be conscripted into the defense of the station. Whoever is chasing you, whoever thinks they have you cornered, I am sure they have not considered that the Starbase Columbus is in your corner."

Offline Kirok

• Shadow Fleet Reserves
  • Triumphant Member
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #8 on: December 07, 2016, 02:13:08 pm »

Stafford had been right, this was serious. He sat and ignored the food, took a long pull at his coffee. It tasted bitter, like the matters at hand.

"Your father I cannot help. Well." The commander said. "Maybe I cannot. But you can hide here as long as you need to."

He had a PADD in his hip pocket. He pulled it out, took a more meditative sip of his coffee, and tapped up some commands on the small, handheld computer. When he had the files he wanted he slid it across the table to his old friend.

"We have approximately 50,000 personnel here on the station, both civilian and Starfleet. All of the Starfleet are Academy trained. Most of the civilians are freighter crews and pilots, and they can be conscripted into the defense of the station. Whoever is chasing you, whoever thinks they have you cornered, I am sure they have not considered that the Starbase Columbus is in your corner."

"I understand.  And I have started to prepare myself for his death" Kirok replied.  He reached for a cold glass of brown colored juice he had poured for himself before Luke had entered and sipped at the drink.

"He will not be allowed to transfer his katra into another.  So, when he dies, he will be gone forever" Kirok added.  He took another sip of his drink and then he replaced the glass on the table.

"Your offer to help is quite generous.  But I will not compromise the Starbase.  At least not openly or publically" the half Vulcan said.

"Instead, I think it would be better if you pretend to stay out of the fight.  At least until I can draw my attackers out of hiding.  And into the open where they exposed and vulnerable" he added.

"Until then, I would ask that your JAG and Intelligence Officers take some time and review everyone's records for any connection of Section 31.  Sympathizers should be watched closely.  And if they can be directly connected to any crimes, brought to justice in as quite a fashion as possible" Kirok finished.

Offline Malcolm Adeyemi

• Shadow Fleet Reserves
  • Champion Member
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #9 on: December 07, 2016, 02:30:45 pm »

Right away, Stafford could see that there was no use putting up a fight. The admiral had made up his mind. But there were still moves to be made, and there was no telling what the future could bring. He had plenty of time to review the data brought to him by his people and then make a decision.

"I am sure you will honor him in your own way." Stafford's voice was even tempered, perfectly suited to the diplomatic war room where they were sitting. "I am sure Hust would do some digging for you. But for now, why don't we eat? Don't want our celebratory feast to grow cold."
« Last Edit: December 12, 2016, 11:41:58 pm by Luke Stafford »

Offline Kirok

• Shadow Fleet Reserves
  • Triumphant Member
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #10 on: December 13, 2016, 01:13:02 am »

Right away, Stafford could see that there was no use putting up a fight. The admiral had made up his mind. But there were still moves to be made, and there was no telling what the future could bring. He had plenty of time to review the data brought to him by his people and then make a decision.

"I am sure you will honor him in your own way." Stafford's voice was even tempered, perfectly suited to the diplomatic war room where they were sitting. "I am sure Hust would do some digging for you. But for now, why don't we eat? Don't want our celebratory feast to grow cold."

"That is a possibility I had not considered" Kirok replied quite honestly.  He picked up his utensils and cut into a small baked chicken, Swiss, and egg souffle.  Steam rose from it as the knife cut through it.

"Sadly, we were never close.  He always found a way to speak to me threw whatever wife he had at the time instead of directly to me.  And his current wife has take to calling herself my 'stepmother' even though we have yet to meet.  It it quite unsettling" Kirok continued.

He sat silently for a moment.  And then blew out some air from his nose.  "I apologize.  Yes, Mr. Hurst would be quite helpful I'm sure" the half Vulcan finally said.

Then he used his fork to move some of the fluffy egg souffle to his mouth.  The mixture of flavors was quite pleasing to Kirok's somewhat bland pallet.  So much so that he indulged in a second bite.

Offline Malcolm Adeyemi

• Shadow Fleet Reserves
  • Champion Member
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #11 on: December 13, 2016, 01:04:20 pm »

"=/\=Ensign Hust. Meet me at the Diplomatic Assemblies and Facilities Area. Tell no one, come alone, and on the double, ensign.=/\="

Stafford caught his friend's expression and said, "He's a young officer, but he can be trusted. Just have to do the full cloak and dagger treatment or he won't get how serious it is."

The newly minted captain decided to celebrate his promotion with some food. He tipped over the tiny crock pot full of eggs and shoveled a double fistful of them onto a clean white plate. To that he added a bright red hot sauce and a smattering of green jalapeno slices. He shaved some cheddar cheese over the entire plate. He snatched up a fork and laid down a double helping of breakfast meats onto what little of the plate was left.

With the yellow of the scrambled egg, brownish-red of the bacon, sausage, and scrapple, all of it covered with bright red spicy hot sauce, vibrant orange cheddar, and dotted with green jalapenos his main course looking positively psychedelic. It was time to move onto the pastry.

First he chose a prune Danish, smelled the mellow fruit topping, the fresh dough accentuated with the creamy icing, and gave it a firm, approving nod.  He was in business.

Stafford followed that up with a croissant, what folks back in Lycoming, Pennsylvania called "French donuts" in a folksy, cheeky way. He sliced it neatly down the middle. The bread parted sensually underneath the knife, revealing a golden layer of soft innards surrounded by buttery, flaky flesh. The smell of butter and dairy was so rich from the bread itself he decided to forego any kind of spread for it. It was good enough on its own.

"Here's to you, and your father, Admiral," Stafford raised his coffee cup to Kirok before attacking his meal like it was an enemy machine gun nest.

Offline Kirok

• Shadow Fleet Reserves
  • Triumphant Member
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #12 on: December 13, 2016, 01:53:28 pm »

Offline Malcolm Adeyemi

• Shadow Fleet Reserves
  • Champion Member
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #13 on: December 13, 2016, 02:06:11 pm »

"Harmon, eh?" Stafford had found the ham steak and was busy carving it up into egg sized portions to pile atop of the rest of his breakfast.

"Well, he performed well in the last mission...if anything or anyone can be said to have performed well during that fiasco." He said with a grimace.

"I had no idea he was a specialist," Stafford said carefully, sipping his coffee to give himself a moment to think. "What else about Harmon should I know?"

Offline Hust Kinun

• Shadow Fleet Reserves
  • Competent Member
  • Awarded to players who have been with the fleet for six months. Awarded in January and July by the FCO to crew of the most organized SIMM. Awarded in January 2017 to all active members. Awarded to the player who has greatly improved since the last awards ceremony. Awarded to players who are always online and posting.
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #14 on: December 13, 2016, 05:18:57 pm »

"=/\=Ensign Hust. Meet me at the Diplomatic Assemblies and Facilities Area. Tell no one, come alone, and on the double, ensign.=/\="

[Quarters]

Hust was in his quarters, enjoying the peace and quiet. He'd put on some type of ambient noise, and it was a relaxing and peaceful environment- until the Captain's hail came through the comms system. He tapped his commbadge.

=/\= Aye Sir. On my way.=/\=

He gathered his uniform, put it on, and exited his room. He walked over to a turbolift and took it up, making sure he was presentable. When the doors opened he walked out, and walked down to the room that the Captain had indicated. He pressed the door chime, and waited outside.
Ex-Starfleet Lawyer (Disgraced)
Alt of Dylan Torngate.

RPG-D Sci-Fi Avatars RPG Initiative RPGfix RPG Initiative Fodlan Chronicles