Books, Books, Books

Started by Leonard T. Scott, November 22, 2016, 08:45:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Leonard T. Scott

So, what are some of your favorite Trek books?

Mine include the Vulcan's Soul trilogy, Troublesome Minds, Prime Directive and The Rings of Time.

Athena Second Officer. Feel free to message me if have any issues that need addressing.
Flight Control Instructor
"Keyboard. How quaint." - Captain Montgomery Scott

Almar Dah el

I quite enjoyed Tales of the Dominion War. Light read.

Ian Galloway

I'm currently reading the Vanguard series and am enjoying those quite a bit.

Solluk

I don't think I've read a Star Trek book in over 20 years.

I used to use Trek books for school book reports in the 5th and 6th grades, back in the 80's.  I remember reading Lost Years anthologies, Black Fire, Dreadnaught, Web of the Romulans, and a handful of others featuring the Original Series cast.

What ultimately soured me on reading Trek books was the disconnect between how I saw the characters and how the authors saw the characters.  There were always these niggling differences that irritated me.  I realized that I probably couldn't do any better myself.

When I started simming in Trek, when the internet was young (back when simming was done through AOL chats and boards), there used to be games where you could play classic characters.  I avoided them like the plague because I remembered my discomfort at seeing classic characters done in ways that didn't fit to my way of thinking.

Even today, when I play a completely different genre, like superheroes, I avoid established canon characters.  Reading those TOS books scarred me for life.  ;-)

That having been said, they were still quite entertaining.  If you ever feel like a bit of old-school nostalgia during a time when Treknology was a wild west of creative invention, before a million canon references in Memory Alpha and a hundred episodes of TNG, DS9, Voyager, and Enterprise gave us useful sources, I recommend checking them out.

My Primary Shadowfleet Character:

Ser Conley

I think I've read most of Peter David series New Frontier it still by far my favorite book series.   

"May you live as long as you want to, and want to as long as you live."-Irish toast

🡱 🡳

RPG-D Sci-Fi Avatars RPG Initiative RPGfix RPG Initiative Fodlan Chronicles

Star Trek and all related marks, logos and characters are solely owned by CBS Studios Inc. This fan production is not endorsed by, sponsored by, nor affiliated with CBS, Paramount Pictures, or any other Star Trek franchise, and is a non-commercial fan-made film intended for recreational use. No commercial exhibition or distribution is permitted. No alleged independent rights will be asserted against CBS or Paramount Pictures.