It's a Mess in Here [Dylan/Ash]

Started by Dylan Torngate, October 03, 2016, 01:40:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dylan Torngate

Quote from: Ashlynn Ren Morgaine on October 15, 2016, 01:32:31 PM

[Mess Hall]

She cupped her hands around the drink Dylan had brought her and breathed in the rising steam with closed eyes. "Did you... bring me Earl Grey?" She brought the cup to her mouth and blew on it for a second, then carefully took a sip. "You did! This will be fine. Technically, almost anything would have been fine, but especially tea. Always." She took another sip, savoring its flavor. "Mmmm, good choice."

Once their laughter subsided and they caught their breaths (which took a while), they fell into the meal. Ash couldn't have been happier. She settled into the easy cadence of conversation and laughter and quickly lost track of the time, forgetting about the mountain of jobs waiting for her and simply enjoying Dylan's company.

[Some Time Later]

When the pizza was long gone and their drinks were dry, she caught a glimpse of the time and covered her mouth as her eyes widened. "Ohmygoodness, has it really been two hours?? It couldn't have been that long, could it?... Apparently it could. She let out a small breath of laughter as she shook her head. "So much for using the industrial replicators in 15 minutes... Would you still be up for a trip over there today?. I don't want to steal all of your free time if you don't want to. You don't seem to get breaks that often..." She trailed off, keenly hoping that this wouldn't be where the evening ended.

[Mess]

He smiled at how she reacted to the drink. It made him happy to know he hadn't made a horrible choice. She seemed to like it, which was good as he continued eating. He wondered if she actually liked it or was just putting on a show... but he didn't see anything that would indicate a problem with his choice or any deception. He drank his own drink, mixing the drink with his food and generally enjoying himself.

He hadn't noticed the passage in time too much, he'd been enjoying the food and company more. It wasn't every day he got out of his engineering-induced bubble of... whatever it was they did there. He laughed at her comments. "Well, I guess not. Unless you've got a time machine ready and can withstand DTI?" He meant the Department of Temporal Investigations, though she could likely either already know or have figured it out. "Sure," he said, "I'm up for it, if you're ready?" he asked, moving to stand. "I'm more than happy to help you out here, it beats sitting in my quarters or pulling an all-nighter in Engineering!" He got up, and prepared to follow her out the door. "You do know where the replicators are, don'tchya?"

Webmaster and Administrator
Shadow Fleet

Ashlynn Ren Morgaine

Quote from: Dylan Torngate on October 17, 2016, 12:58:03 PM

[Mess]

He smiled at how she reacted to the drink. It made him happy to know he hadn't made a horrible choice. She seemed to like it, which was good as he continued eating. He wondered if she actually liked it or was just putting on a show... but he didn't see anything that would indicate a problem with his choice or any deception. He drank his own drink, mixing the drink with his food and generally enjoying himself.

He hadn't noticed the passage in time too much, he'd been enjoying the food and company more. It wasn't every day he got out of his engineering-induced bubble of... whatever it was they did there. He laughed at her comments. "Well, I guess not. Unless you've got a time machine ready and can withstand DTI?" He meant the Department of Temporal Investigations, though she could likely either already know or have figured it out. "Sure," he said, "I'm up for it, if you're ready?" he asked, moving to stand. "I'm more than happy to help you out here, it beats sitting in my quarters or pulling an all-nighter in Engineering!" He got up, and prepared to follow her out the door. "You do know where the replicators are, don'tchya?"

[Mess Hall]

"I've got enough to do without adding problems with the Department of Temporal Investigations to my plate, thanks." She chuckled, shaking her head at Dylan's joking suggestion. She jumped to her feet as he stood, grinning wildly. "Really? You're amazing! You can't even imagine how much I appreciate this! Let me just clean up the -" She glanced at the dishes from their meal then looked around at the surrounding mess, laughing a little. "Honestly, it doesn't even matter at this point. I'll get them later. Let's go."

She paused near the doorway, blushing slightly at Dylan's question. "Umm... Not really... I've been trying to take walks to learn where everything is, but I haven't done that since last mission... I sort of ended up lost on deck 6 in the middle of that rough firefight between our ships." She laughed a little, briefly remembering all of the trouble that followed, but refusing to think about what she found in the secure chamber. Not when she was enjoying herself. "You'll have to forgive my horribly lacking sense of direction. I don't think I even know where Engineering is, let alone the replicators." She smiled apologetically, tucking a loose strand of hair behind her ear as she cast her eyes downward.

Dylan Torngate

Quote from: Ashlynn Ren Morgaine on October 17, 2016, 02:51:15 PM

[Mess Hall]

"I've got enough to do without adding problems with the Department of Temporal Investigations to my plate, thanks." She chuckled, shaking her head at Dylan's joking suggestion. She jumped to her feet as he stood, grinning wildly. "Really? You're amazing! You can't even imagine how much I appreciate this! Let me just clean up the -" She glanced at the dishes from their meal then looked around at the surrounding mess, laughing a little. "Honestly, it doesn't even matter at this point. I'll get them later. Let's go."

She paused near the doorway, blushing slightly at Dylan's question. "Umm... Not really... I've been trying to take walks to learn where everything is, but I haven't done that since last mission... I sort of ended up lost on deck 6 in the middle of that rough firefight between our ships." She laughed a little, briefly remembering all of the trouble that followed, but refusing to think about what she found in the secure chamber. Not when she was enjoying herself. "You'll have to forgive my horribly lacking sense of direction. I don't think I even know where Engineering is, let alone the replicators." She smiled apologetically, tucking a loose strand of hair behind her ear as she cast her eyes downward.

[Mess]

"Aye. Temporal Investigations doesn't have a file on me as far as I'm aware, and I'd like to keep it that way." he said, nodding his agreement. "Though I'm sure that we cana get the parts you need. It'd be easier if we had all our tools and equipment but Noooo-o the Captain had to take our cargo bay on deck six... we lost almost all access to our tools. Had to set up an old-fashioned tool bay on the Engineering deck". He realized he was rambling, and scurried to apologize. "Sorry about that... not your problem, though we might need some tools from there. Oldstyle electric drills, if we have to."

He laughed a bit. "OK, I'll lead the way then." he said, and walked them both to the turbolift. He entered and, as the doors shut, spoke. "Deck Thirteen." he said, and the pod desceneded into the bowels of the ship at breakneck pace. "The replicators are well hidden... deep and dark corner of the ship. It's hard to get there unless you're trying to get there. No need to be shamed about not knowing where it is." he said. As she muddled with her hair he smiled, looking at her as the pod slowed.

[Deck 13]

The doors opened, and he walked out. It was dark here, and a tad bit of a low ceiling. He ducked as he walked to avoid a large bar. He was truly in the depths of the ship, but he was right in his element. It reminded him of Home. Or at least, what used to be home. Now his "Home" was this ship, not the cosmic space dust that had at one time been his family's freighter. He rounded another corner, and walked into a relatively open area that housed a control booth and what looked like a giant 3d printer. It could handle huge things, but what they needed was small. Too big for a regular replicator, but not as big as this cavern. Compared to the surrounding causeways it was giant.

Shadow Fleet

Ashlynn Ren Morgaine

Quote from: Dylan Torngate on October 17, 2016, 03:32:44 PM

[Mess]

"Aye. Temporal Investigations doesn't have a file on me as far as I'm aware, and I'd like to keep it that way." he said, nodding his agreement. "Though I'm sure that we can get the parts you need. It'd be easier if we had all our tools and equipment but Noooo-o the Captain had to take our cargo bay on deck six... we lost almost all access to our tools. Had to set up an old-fashioned tool bay on the Engineering deck". He realized he was rambling, and scurried to apologize. "Sorry about that... not your problem, though we might need some tools from there. Oldstyle electric drills, if we have to."

He laughed a bit. "OK, I'll lead the way then." he said, and walked them both to the turbolift. He entered and, as the doors shut, spoke. "Deck Thirteen." he said, and the pod desceneded into the bowels of the ship at breakneck pace. "The replicators are well hidden... deep and dark corner of the ship. It's hard to get there unless you're trying to get there. No need to be shamed about not knowing where it is." he said. As she muddled with her hair he smiled, looking at her as the pod slowed.

[Deck 13]

The doors opened, and he walked out. It was dark here, and a tad bit of a low ceiling. He ducked as he walked to avoid a large bar. He was truly in the depths of the ship, but he was right in his element. It reminded him of Home. Or at least, what used to be home. Now his "Home" was this ship, not the cosmic space dust that had at one time been his family's freighter. He rounded another corner, and walked into a relatively open area that housed a control booth and what looked like a giant 3d printer. It could handle huge things, but what they needed was small. Too big for a regular replicator, but not as big as this cavern. Compared to the surrounding causeways it was giant.

[Mess Hall]

Her eyes widened slightly as Dylan mentioned the Captain's acquisition of their cargo bay. Was that where?... Never mind. I'm not going to think about it. At his apology, she pulled herself from her thoughts. "Don't worry about it. I'd be pretty peeved if I was in your shoes." She smiled again. "Plus, it kind of is my problem if I want to get these shelves installed.

She followed Dylan into the turbolift and only stumbled slightly as it started moving. As she listened to Dylan talk, she corner of her mouth quirked up. "Deep and dark corner of the ship? Sounds like an adventure." As the turbolift slowed, she took the rest of her hair out of it's tie, tired of trying to keep it in place when it was dead set on falling out anyway. She brushed a hand through the unruly waves and looked up just in time to see Dylan watching her with a smile on his face. The blush that had only recently left her face returned full force, and she was grateful that her hair covered much of her face.

[Deck 13 - Industrial Replicators]

As the doors opened, Ash felt her eyes widen and her mouth drop open. She followed Dylan out, drinking everything in as they moved through the low corridor. This part of the ship was an entirely different world compared to the Athena she knew. When Dylan rounded the corner, she slowed down, emitting an audible gasp and spinning slightly to look around the open area. "Wow... Is that the replicator?"

Dylan Torngate

Quote from: Ashlynn Ren Morgaine on October 17, 2016, 05:58:15 PM

[Mess Hall]

Her eyes widened slightly as Dylan mentioned the Captain's acquisition of their cargo bay. Was that where?... Never mind. I'm not going to think about it. At his apology, she pulled herself from her thoughts. "Don't worry about it. I'd be pretty peeved if I was in your shoes." She smiled again. "Plus, it kind of is my problem if I want to get these shelves installed.

She followed Dylan into the turbolift and only stumbled slightly as it started moving. As she listened to Dylan talk, she corner of her mouth quirked up. "Deep and dark corner of the ship? Sounds like an adventure." As the turbolift slowed, she took the rest of her hair out of it's tie, tired of trying to keep it in place when it was dead set on falling out anyway. She brushed a hand through the unruly waves and looked up just in time to see Dylan watching her with a smile on his face. The blush that had only recently left her face returned full force, and she was grateful that her hair covered much of her face.

[Deck 13 - Industrial Replicators]

As the doors opened, Ash felt her eyes widen and her mouth drop open. She followed Dylan out, drinking everything in as they moved through the low corridor. This part of the ship was an entirely different world compared to the Athena she knew. When Dylan rounded the corner, she slowed down, emitting an audible gasp and spinning slightly to look around the open area. "Wow... Is that the replicator?"

[Deck 13]

Dylan nodded at her gasps. He noted how quickly she'd recovered from the blushing, which she'd seen her do a few times. He beamed out at how flabbergasted she was, seeing the sheer mass of it. It was big enough to replicate and hold a lot of stuff... 15 Feet by 15 feet by 15 feet. They could fit a lot of stuff, but it wasn't used too often. Mainly because nobody liked coming down this deep in the ship. That, and it took a lot of power to make things massively.

"Aye." he said, in response to her question. "Mite bit larger than the food ones in the mess... but I wouldn't eat food by this thing." he said, laughing to himself. "Some of the deckhands named it Big Bess, though I'm not sure why. It's no more independant to the ship than anything else here. Regardless, welcome to the caverns. He thought back to how often he had used it, since the captain had taken all of their spare parts with the cargo bay.

He walked over to the console, the lights powering up as he did so. Lights in the bay below snapped on, and the system began warming up. He signed in with his access code, authorizing the request. He brought up the plans that he was thinking of, but also the catalog of all other things. He then stepped back, keeping the code to start offline but allowing her to choose the design and customizable aspects. "You're up." he said, grinning as he did, moving back. Time to see what she would choose. "After you choose, you can have it beamed directly to the Mess and we can set it up... after we go by the machine shop."

Shadow Fleet

Ashlynn Ren Morgaine

Quote from: Dylan Torngate on October 17, 2016, 07:42:30 PM

[Deck 13]

Dylan nodded at her gasps. He noted how quickly she'd recovered from the blushing, which she'd seen her do a few times. He beamed out at how flabbergasted she was, seeing the sheer mass of it. It was big enough to replicate and hold a lot of stuff... 15 Feet by 15 feet by 15 feet. They could fit a lot of stuff, but it wasn't used too often. Mainly because nobody liked coming down this deep in the ship. That, and it took a lot of power to make things massively.

"Aye." he said, in response to her question. "Mite bit larger than the food ones in the mess... but I wouldn't eat food by this thing." he said, laughing to himself. "Some of the deckhands named it Big Bess, though I'm not sure why. It's no more independant to the ship than anything else here. Regardless, welcome to the caverns." He thought back to how often he had used it, since the captain had taken all of their spare parts with the cargo bay.

He walked over to the console, the lights powering up as he did so. Lights in the bay below snapped on, and the system began warming up. He signed in with his access code, authorizing the request. He brought up the plans that he was thinking of, but also the catalog of all other things. He then stepped back, keeping the code to start offline but allowing her to choose the design and customizable aspects. "You're up." he said, grinning as he did, moving back. Time to see what she would choose. "After you choose, you can have it beamed directly to the Mess and we can set it up... after we go by the machine shop."

[Deck 13]

Ash had been content observing Dylan work at the console and was rather surprised when he made to hand over the controls to her. "I-I'm up? What do you me - Oh. Decisions.." She had moved up to the console and was looking at all of the options in front of her. It was a smidge overwhelming. She shook her head and laughed. "You didn't warn me I'd have to make decisions. The pressure might kill me."

Despite her jesting, she pulled out her battered designs for a reference and started entering information into the console. She used the wall measurements jotted on her sheet to select sizes for the shelves that would maximize the available space, making the shelf behind the bar longer to extend the full length of the counter and the kitchen shelves deeper to accommodate the large storage boxes. When it came to aesthetics, however, she paused and pulled her hands back in indecision, biting her lower lip. Remembering their conversation in the mess hall earlier, Ash tentatively set the color to a deep, rich red. She quirked her head to the side for a minute, looking at the screen, then closed her eyes, envisioning it in the mess hall. A smile spread on her face, and she opened her eyes. "That should look nice, don't you think?"

She was just starting to feel confident in her decision-making skills when she came to the fine-tuned adjustments for style and shape. "Oh dear... There are a lot of choices, aren't there..." She spent several minutes looking at the options before something caught her eye. She looked back at Dylan and waved him over. "I think I might have an idea. Look." She left the shape of the shelves relatively unchanged for the sake of allowing them to fit into some of the tighter spaces in the mess hall, but added some metal scroll work along the outside frame of the shelves. The looping curls were somewhat archaic in style, but overall elegant, and they wouldn't interfere with the practicality of the shelves. Ash liked the design - it reminded her of the grand shelves in the map room of the library back home. Her eyes searched Dylan's face to see what he thought of her choice.

Dylan Torngate

Quote from: Ashlynn Ren Morgaine on October 18, 2016, 01:20:39 AM

[Deck 13]

Ash had been content observing Dylan work at the console and was rather surprised when he made to hand over the controls to her. "I-I'm up? What do you me - Oh. Decisions.." She had moved up to the console and was looking at all of the options in front of her. It was a smidge overwhelming. She shook her head and laughed. "You didn't warn me I'd have to make decisions. The pressure might kill me."

Despite her jesting, she pulled out her battered designs for a reference and started entering information into the console. She used the wall measurements jotted on her sheet to select sizes for the shelves that would maximize the available space, making the shelf behind the bar longer to extend the full length of the counter and the kitchen shelves deeper to accommodate the large storage boxes. When it came to aesthetics, however, she paused and pulled her hands back in indecision, biting her lower lip. Remembering their conversation in the mess hall earlier, Ash tentatively set the color to a deep, rich red. She quirked her head to the side for a minute, looking at the screen, then closed her eyes, envisioning it in the mess hall. A smile spread on her face, and she opened her eyes. "That should look nice, don't you think?"

She was just starting to feel confident in her decision-making skills when she came to the fine-tuned adjustments for style and shape. "Oh dear... There are a lot of choices, aren't there..." She spent several minutes looking at the options before something caught her eye. She looked back at Dylan and waved him over. "I think I might have an idea. Look." She left the shape of the shelves relatively unchanged for the sake of allowing them to fit into some of the tighter spaces in the mess hall, but added some metal scroll work along the outside frame of the shelves. The looping curls were somewhat archaic in style, but overall elegant, and they wouldn't interfere with the practicality of the shelves. Ash liked the design - it reminded her of the grand shelves in the map room of the library back home. Her eyes searched Dylan's face to see what he thought of her choice.

[Deck 13]

"Aah you can do it." he said, looking at a display he had punched up... a mirror image to hers, so he could see what she was choosing. He did try and pay attention... but accumulated stress caused him to maybe kinda zone out while she was making her changes. He stared blankly into the changing design, barely even blinking as his thoughts ran out into space beyond the hull of this vessel. He wasn't asleep, but was definately tired.

When she spoke his thoughts came rushing back to him, like a train. A train with no particular order as he regained awareness of his surroundings. With this sudden awareness he shook his head, blinking as he tried to place himself again, as he stood up too quickly and banged the back of his head against a low ceiling bar. He rubbed the back of his head as he finally got himself together. "Ow... what was that?" He asked, before remembering. "Oh yeah... yeah they look nice." he said, before moving and watching over her shoulder at the prime display. With this view he watched her do the astehetic adjustments. He wasn't in his element... this domain was entirely not his job. It was up to other people to make it look nice... Dylan just cared that it worked. That, and that it didn't blow up or give him radiation poisoning.

He had begun walking a bit, looking down into the bay when she called him over again. He walked over to see what she had. It was a solid design, but other than that it had both function and form. It would do it's job, although it'd have to be assembled by hand. And by that Dylan meant he'd have to run by the fabrication shop a few decks up to grab the tools they'd need. But the physical labor would do him good. "It seems like it'll work." he said, plugging in the code to replicate the set. "I can have this beamed directly to the mess hall, and we can assemble it there."

After getting her OK, he pushed the button and replicated it, the high pitched whine of a the replicators they were used to instead a lower pitched thoooooomp. A few seconds later the parts were all made, and Dylan accessed the internal transporters, beaming the whole lot to the mess. "I've got to swing by the machine shop and my quarters first... gonna get out of uniform. As comfy as they are it's just time for a change." he said, smiling to her. He began walking back out, stooping down as needed as he left the room and went to the turbolift. He didn't know if she'd just go back to the mess or come with him, but he didn't care either way. He just had to get this taken care of and done before he'd do more work. That, and get another coffee.

Shadow Fleet

Ashlynn Ren Morgaine

Quote from: Dylan Torngate on October 18, 2016, 03:41:50 PM

[Deck 13]

"Aah you can do it." he said, looking at a display he had punched up... a mirror image to hers, so he could see what she was choosing. He did try and pay attention... but accumulated stress caused him to maybe kinda zone out while she was making her changes. He stared blankly into the changing design, barely even blinking as his thoughts ran out into space beyond the hull of this vessel. He wasn't asleep, but was definitely tired.

When she spoke his thoughts came rushing back to him, like a train. A train with no particular order as he regained awareness of his surroundings. With this sudden awareness he shook his head, blinking as he tried to place himself again, as he stood up too quickly and banged the back of his head against a low ceiling bar. He rubbed the back of his head as he finally got himself together. "Ow... what was that?" He asked, before remembering. "Oh yeah... yeah they look nice." he said, before moving and watching over her shoulder at the prime display. With this view he watched her do the aesthetic adjustments. He wasn't in his element... this domain was entirely not his job. It was up to other people to make it look nice... Dylan just cared that it worked. That, and that it didn't blow up or give him radiation poisoning.

He had begun walking a bit, looking down into the bay when she called him over again. He walked over to see what she had. It was a solid design, but other than that it had both function and form. It would do it's job, although it'd have to be assembled by hand. And by that Dylan meant he'd have to run by the fabrication shop a few decks up to grab the tools they'd need. But the physical labor would do him good. "It seems like it'll work." he said, plugging in the code to replicate the set. "I can have this beamed directly to the mess hall, and we can assemble it there."

After getting her OK, he pushed the button and replicated it, the high pitched whine of a the replicators they were used to instead a lower pitched thoooooomp. A few seconds later the parts were all made, and Dylan accessed the internal transporters, beaming the whole lot to the mess. "I've got to swing by the machine shop and my quarters first... gonna get out of uniform. As comfy as they are it's just time for a change." he said, smiling to her. He began walking back out, stooping down as needed as he left the room and went to the turbolift. He didn't know if she'd just go back to the mess or come with him, but he didn't care either way. He just had to get this taken care of and done before he'd do more work. That, and get another coffee.

[Deck 13]

When she heard the resounding metal clang and saw Dylan rubbing his head, she covered her mouth and started apologizing wildly. "Ohmygoodness, I'm sorry! I didn't mean to startle you! Are you okay?" She watched him worriedly, noticing the dark circles under his eyes. He must sleep even less often than he eats... A small amount of guilt gnawed at her for making this extra work for him, and she was half-tempted to call it a night. But she also didn't want to turn away his help - or his company - if he was willing. She decided to just keep an eye on him. If his exhaustion became more pronounced she'd make a decision.

When he looked her choices over and gave his approval, Ash felt a surge of relief. She was growing somewhat attached to this design and didn't really want to have to make any more changes. She gave Dylan the go-ahead to replicate them, watching the replicator work with wide eyes. She was eager to see how they would turn out. A small, excited laugh escaped her lips as she saw the parts appear - they looked promising. And I really do like that color. Once the parts were transported to the mess hall, she turned back to Dylan, nodding as he spoke, then followed him back to the turbolift. "Mind if I tag along? I should really get out of the mess hall more often... At least, I should get out of the mess hall more often when I can't stumble into trouble."

Dylan Torngate

Quote from: Ashlynn Ren Morgaine on October 18, 2016, 04:40:28 PM

[Deck 13]

When she heard the resounding metal clang and saw Dylan rubbing his head, she covered her mouth and started apologizing wildly. "Ohmygoodness, I'm sorry! I didn't mean to startle you! Are you okay?" She watched him worriedly, noticing the dark circles under his eyes. He must sleep even less often than he eats... A small amount of guilt gnawed at her for making this extra work for him, and she was half-tempted to call it a night. But she also didn't want to turn away his help - or his company - if he was willing. She decided to just keep an eye on him. If his exhaustion became more pronounced she'd make a decision.

When he looked her choices over and gave his approval, Ash felt a surge of relief. She was growing somewhat attached to this design and didn't really want to have to make any more changes. She gave Dylan the go-ahead to replicate them, watching the replicator work with wide eyes. She was eager to see how they would turn out. A small, excited laugh escaped her lips as she saw the parts appear - they looked promising. And I really do like that color. Once the parts were transported to the mess hall, she turned back to Dylan, nodding as he spoke, then followed him back to the turbolift. "Mind if I tag along? I should really get out of the mess hall more often... At least, I should get out of the mess hall more often when I can't stumble into trouble."

[Deck 13]

Ash's suspicions were correct. Dylan didn't sleep, at least, not much. He didn't like sleeping, or for that matter he preferred work. He was an engineer... but he envied the androids that were able to work every day all day. "I'm fine." he said, trying to reassure her but he saw a slightly odd look on her face. He didn't know why but he kept at it, working and pushing himself to stay awake. Also the paperwork didn't help but... that was another issue. He could handle it... he wouldn't get burned out anytime soon. He thought back to one of his previous postings... where he'd managed to yell down two captains who immediately relieved him from duty.

[Turbolift]

The pod shot up toward the machine shop, only going up a few decks before he exited with Ash. The shop was isolated by a door, but when he walked in it was like he'd walked into a 21st century construction zone. Tools everywhere and the smell of machenery working to make the parts needed to keep the ship alive. He walked over to the shop, and, after talking with a few of the engineers grabbed the case he needed and exited. It was a wrench set and drill. Modern technology may have come a long way, but for this job the old ways worked best. That, and he didn't want to fill out a TR-8836 in triplicate to use a modern equivilant.

He went up to the turbolift, taking the lift to his quarters again. He entered, wondering how long it'd been since he'd been here. He sat down and sighed, looking around. He looked to Ash. "Welcome to my home... it's not much to look at but it's home."

Shadow Fleet

Ashlynn Ren Morgaine

Quote from: Dylan Torngate on October 18, 2016, 05:19:15 PM

[Deck 13]

Ash's suspicions were correct. Dylan didn't sleep, at least, not much. He didn't like sleeping, or for that matter he preferred work. He was an engineer... but he envied the androids that were able to work every day all day. "I'm fine." he said, trying to reassure her but he saw a slightly odd look on her face. He didn't know why but he kept at it, working and pushing himself to stay awake. Also the paperwork didn't help but... that was another issue. He could handle it... he wouldn't get burned out anytime soon. He thought back to one of his previous postings... where he'd managed to yell down two captains who immediately relieved him from duty.

[Turbolift]

The pod shot up toward the machine shop, only going up a few decks before he exited with Ash. The shop was isolated by a door, but when he walked in it was like he'd walked into a 21st century construction zone. Tools everywhere and the smell of machinery working to make the parts needed to keep the ship alive. He walked over to the shop, and, after talking with a few of the engineers grabbed the case he needed and exited. It was a wrench set and drill. Modern technology may have come a long way, but for this job the old ways worked best. That, and he didn't want to fill out a TR-8836 in triplicate to use a modern equivilant.

He went up to the turbolift, taking the lift to his quarters again. He entered, wondering how long it'd been since he'd been here. He sat down and sighed, looking around. He looked to Ash. "Welcome to my home... it's not much to look at but it's home."

[Machine Shop]

They didn't spend long in the machine shop. Ash remained near the entrance, opting to observe from a position where she couldn't accidentally mess anything up. There were tools lying on every surface and moving parts everywhere; it would only take one clumsy moment to make a big mess, so she kept her hands to herself despite her intense curiosity over the item on the table next to her. She pulled her gaze away when she saw Dylan come back carrying an older style wrench set and drill. That was something she knew how to use, and she took comfort knowing she'd be able to actually contribute some help.

[Dylan's Quarters]

Ash followed Dylan into his room and looked around, seeing what she could learn about him from his quarters... And it wasn't much. The bed looked relatively unused - which confirmed her belief that he didn't sleep in it that often. There were some spare parts, designs, tools, and half empty coffee mugs sprawled across a table on the other side, but other than that, the room was very tidy and neat. She sat down next to him, continuing to look around. "You don't spend much time here, do you?" She ventured. "And when you do, you keep fiddling with parts over in that corner rather than relaxing." She offered him a friendly smile before continuing. "Either that, or you're extraordinarily neat. My room looks like a disaster in comparison to yours. Bed unmade, books everywhere - thoroughly lived in. It's actually kind of embarrassing to think about looking at yours."

Dylan Torngate

Quote from: Ashlynn Ren Morgaine on October 18, 2016, 05:47:57 PM

[Machine Shop]

They didn't spend long in the machine shop. Ash remained near the entrance, opting to observe from a position where she couldn't accidentally mess anything up. There were tools lying on every surface and moving parts everywhere; it would only take one clumsy moment to make a big mess, so she kept her hands to herself despite her intense curiosity over the item on the table next to her. She pulled her gaze away when she saw Dylan come back carrying an older style wrench set and drill. That was something she knew how to use, and she took comfort knowing she'd be able to actually contribute some help.

[Dylan's Quarters]

Ash followed Dylan into his room and looked around, seeing what she could learn about him from his quarters... And it wasn't much. The bed looked relatively unused - which confirmed her belief that he didn't sleep in it that often. There were some spare parts, designs, tools, and half empty coffee mugs sprawled across a table on the other side, but other than that, the room was very tidy and neat. She sat down next to him, continuing to look around. "You don't spend much time here, do you?" She ventured. "And when you do, you keep fiddling with parts over in that corner rather than relaxing." She offered him a friendly smile before continuing. "Either that, or you're extraordinarily neat. My room looks like a disaster in comparison to yours. Bed unmade, books everywhere - thoroughly lived in. It's actually kind of embarrassing to think about looking at yours."

[Quarters]

His quarters were rather messier than ususal, which was odd. His bed was almost never slept in, so that was the same but the fact that there were signs of life was abnormal. Dylan spent as little time as he could here, he preferred the comfort of his office when he needed rest. His office... and a pile of PADDs on his desk to use as some form of poke-y and solid pillow. Then again, he couldn't really bring a pillow down to Engineering without raising a few red flags... oh well. Some trade offs in life had to be made.

He looked around the room and saw the half finished coffes, and went over to one. He didn't think before taking a knockback of it, immediately realizing it was almost a day and a half old. He swallowed it but gagged afterwards. "Bleck," was his reacton, "Not to self coffee does go bad..." he said, dropping the mugs off into the replicator. The machine whined as it reclaimed the material, as the mugs disappeared. He looked at her as she asked her question.

"Uhh... no I guess not." he said, wondering exactly how often he was here. When she chastised him for his off duty hobbies, he made his voice one of mock hurt. "I'm wounded. That is recreation! At least, when it's not baseball." he said, grinning as he nodded to the one significant mark of character on the wall. It was his old baseball uniform from the Pike City Pioneers, who he'd played with for a year. His glove and bat were there too, but his baseball cap was in the other room. When he was on the holodeck he was usually playing ball. It'd been too long since he'd done that...

"And as to neatness... heh... uh let's just say that "neat" is not the word I'd use to characterise that." He walked around a corner, but he could still see her. He did this to change out of uniform in relative privacy but not to cut off the conversation. He emerged a few minutes later in civillian clothes, ready for more work.

Shadow Fleet

Ashlynn Ren Morgaine

Quote from: Dylan Torngate on October 19, 2016, 03:41:49 PM

[Quarters]

His quarters were rather messier than ususal, which was odd. His bed was almost never slept in, so that was the same but the fact that there were signs of life was abnormal. Dylan spent as little time as he could here, he preferred the comfort of his office when he needed rest. His office... and a pile of PADDs on his desk to use as some form of poke-y and solid pillow. Then again, he couldn't really bring a pillow down to Engineering without raising a few red flags... oh well. Some trade offs in life had to be made.

He looked around the room and saw the half finished coffes, and went over to one. He didn't think before taking a knockback of it, immediately realizing it was almost a day and a half old. He swallowed it but gagged afterwards. "Bleck," was his reacton, "Not to self coffee does go bad..." he said, dropping the mugs off into the replicator. The machine whined as it reclaimed the material, as the mugs disappeared. He looked at her as she asked her question.

"Uhh... no I guess not." he said, wondering exactly how often he was here. When she chastised him for his off duty hobbies, he made his voice one of mock hurt. "I'm wounded. That is recreation! At least, when it's not baseball." he said, grinning as he nodded to the one significant mark of character on the wall. It was his old baseball uniform from the Pike City Pioneers, who he'd played with for a year. His glove and bat were there too, but his baseball cap was in the other room. When he was on the holodeck he was usually playing ball. It'd been too long since he'd done that...

"And as to neatness... heh... uh let's just say that "neat" is not the word I'd use to characterize that." He walked around a corner, but he could still see her. He did this to change out of uniform in relative privacy but not to cut off the conversation. He emerged a few minutes later in civilian clothes, ready for more work.

[Dylan's Quarters]

She watched Dylan pick up the partial coffees, thinking he was going to dispose of them, when to her amazement he tossed one back. Her jaw dropped at first, but she promptly started laughing at his poor reaction to it. "I could have told you that was a bad idea! We'll be back in the mess hall soon enough, and I'll make us some fresh in the actual kitchen." She shook her head, still chuckling at the situation.

She watched Dylan with a smile on her face as he talked about his hobbies, and her gaze followed his nod to the uniform on the wall that she had somehow missed earlier. "Baseball! I never would have guessed! I mean, not that I'm much of an expert. I've read about baseball, but I've never actually... seen it... I guess. Is it any fun?"

Another burst of laughter escaped her lips at his comment about neatness. "Neat is something I struggle with. Immensely. My bed is hardly ever clear." She laid down on Dylan's bed with her legs dangling off the side as she waited for him to change. "I think the Captain would have a heart attack if she saw it, honestly." She yawned and stretched a little, enjoying the comfort of the bed for a moment, then propped herself up when she heard Dylan come back. It was extraordinarily strange seeing him in civilian clothing. Strange... But not entirely unpleasant. She looked down at her own messy work clothes and scrunched her nose with a little laugh. "Ugh. Now I feel entirely out of place."

Dylan Torngate

Quote from: Ashlynn Ren Morgaine on October 19, 2016, 05:06:04 PM

[Dylan's Quarters]

She watched Dylan pick up the partial coffees, thinking he was going to dispose of them, when to her amazement he tossed one back. Her jaw dropped at first, but she promptly started laughing at his poor reaction to it. "I could have told you that was a bad idea! We'll be back in the mess hall soon enough, and I'll make us some fresh in the actual kitchen." She shook her head, still chuckling at the situation.

She watched Dylan with a smile on her face as he talked about his hobbies, and her gaze followed his nod to the uniform on the wall that she had somehow missed earlier. "Baseball! I never would have guessed! I mean, not that I'm much of an expert. I've read about baseball, but I've never actually... seen it... I guess. Is it any fun?"

Another burst of laughter escaped her lips at his comment about neatness. "Neat is something I struggle with. Immensely. My bed is hardly ever clear." She laid down on Dylan's bed with her legs dangling off the side as she waited for him to change. "I think the Captain would have a heart attack if she saw it, honestly." She yawned and stretched a little, enjoying the comfort of the bed for a moment, then propped herself up when she heard Dylan come back. It was extraordinarily strange seeing him in civilian clothing. Strange... But not entirely unpleasant. She looked down at her own messy work clothes and scrunched her nose with a little laugh. "Ugh. Now I feel entirely out of place."

[Quarters, Nickels, and Dimes]

"Hmm," he said, when he heard her over his noises of disgust, "We might just have to." He walked over to his replicator, and got a glass of scotch to drown out the flavor of the coffee, taking the shot glass it deposited and knocking it back as one might expect. The taste out of his mouth he went back to getting ready. The toolkit was set down by the gears and apparent electronic components he had used, not forgotten but not in use.

"Aye I think it is fun" he said from behind the wall. he elaborated a little bit more. "It keeps me busy, keeps me active... have not gotten to go play for a while, unfortunately." Problem with the way things were now, his program was sitting gathering cyberdust. He'd meant to go today but he'd found this challenge to occupy him. It was fun as well, but the fresh, simulated air and aromas was more therapy than he usually got, and his aversion to actual therapy by the ship's army of blueshirts... with their pokers and prodders and scanners that told him how to run his body.

He smiled at her laugh as he walked back around the corner. "Well mine's rarely used, so we're opposite ends of the spectrum. Don't think it's actually been made and used for a while. I make the cleaners very, very happy." he admitted, his face a tad red. "Who, the Captain? There's a reason the quarters are off limits for most people. They're our safe spaces and places they can't judge us for." he said, smiling as he flopped down on the bed, sighing as he felt the softness against his back. He was very comfortable now, the worn leather conforming to his entire body as he let his head roll back. He was incredibly comfortable and at ease. His commbadge was still in his pocket but it wasn't on right now. "Aah you're fine." he said, looking at her with a smile. He laid back, realizing that if Ash wanted to move him she'd have to try awfully hard now.

Shadow Fleet

Ashlynn Ren Morgaine

Quote from: Dylan Torngate on October 19, 2016, 07:40:53 PM

[Quarters, Nickels, and Dimes]

"Hmm," he said, when he heard her over his noises of disgust, "We might just have to." He walked over to his replicator, and got a glass of scotch to drown out the flavor of the coffee, taking the shot glass it deposited and knocking it back as one might expect. The taste out of his mouth he went back to getting ready. The toolkit was set down by the gears and apparent electronic components he had used, not forgotten but not in use.

"Aye I think it is fun" he said from behind the wall. he elaborated a little bit more. "It keeps me busy, keeps me active... have not gotten to go play for a while, unfortunately." Problem with the way things were now, his program was sitting gathering cyberdust. He'd meant to go today but he'd found this challenge to occupy him. It was fun as well, but the fresh, simulated air and aromas was more therapy than he usually got, and his aversion to actual therapy by the ship's army of blueshirts... with their pokers and prodders and scanners that told him how to run his body.

He smiled at her laugh as he walked back around the corner. "Well mine's rarely used, so we're opposite ends of the spectrum. Don't think it's actually been made and used for a while. I make the cleaners very, very happy." he admitted, his face a tad red. "Who, the Captain? There's a reason the quarters are off limits for most people. They're our safe spaces and places they can't judge us for." he said, smiling as he flopped down on the bed, sighing as he felt the softness against his back. He was very comfortable now, the worn leather conforming to his entire body as he let his head roll back. He was incredibly comfortable and at ease. His commbadge was still in his pocket but it wasn't on right now. "Aah you're fine." he said, looking at her with a smile. He laid back, realizing that if Ash wanted to move him she'd have to try awfully hard now.

[Dylan's Quarters]

As Dylan replicated another drink - this one in a shot glass - her eyebrows shot up. "Goodness, now what are you drinking?" Ash didn't have much experience with alcohol. It wasn't that she disliked it, rather that she'd never tried it. She just never had any reason to up to this point, (considering she didn't have friends to drink with or many worries to drown). She watched Dylan knock the glass back, curiosity plain on her face.

She stared up at the ceiling from her position on the bed as Dylan talked about baseball. "So... Where do you play? The holodeck? There's a program for that?" She was genuinely curious. She hadn't yet made her way over to the holodeck during her time on the Athena, and in all of her time back home she hadn't tried one. She knew how they worked (mostly), but they were still a relatively novel idea for her.

At Dylan's assessment of her clothing, Ash felt a very faint blush creep up her face as she laughed. "I've got machine grease all over my apron and jacket from my failed attempt at fixing things before you came to my rescue. Of course the engineer thinks it looks fine!" Despite her words, she really didn't care all that much about the state of her clothes. She was a mess most days - some days were just messier than others.

Dylan flopped somewhat dramatically down onto the bed next to her, and Ash looked down at him with a smile. She couldn't help but be amused at how much he seemed to be enjoying himself as he sprawled out on the bed. "I'm not sure if you know this, seeing as you apparently don't have a lot of experience with this sort of thing..." Ash let herself fall back onto the bed next to him, then turned her head so that it faced his before finishing, "But this wonderful, plush, comfy thing you're lying on is called a bed. Most individuals use it for sleeping." She tried to adopt a serious expression as she teased him, but ended up breaking into a laugh at the end anyways.

Dylan Torngate

Quote from: Ashlynn Ren Morgaine on October 19, 2016, 11:40:15 PM

[Dylan's Quarters]

As Dylan replicated another drink - this one in a shot glass - her eyebrows shot up. "Goodness, now what are you drinking?" Ash didn't have much experience with alcohol. It wasn't that she disliked it, rather that she'd never tried it. She just never had any reason to up to this point, (considering she didn't have friends to drink with or many worries to drown). She watched Dylan knock the glass back, curiosity plain on her face.

She stared up at the ceiling from her position on the bed as Dylan talked about baseball. "So... Where do you play? The holodeck? There's a program for that?" She was genuinely curious. She hadn't yet made her way over to the holodeck during her time on the Athena, and in all of her time back home she hadn't tried one. She knew how they worked (mostly), but they were still a relatively novel idea for her.

At Dylan's assessment of her clothing, Ash felt a very faint blush creep up her face as she laughed. "I've got machine grease all over my apron and jacket from my failed attempt at fixing things before you came to my rescue. Of course the engineer thinks it looks fine!" Despite her words, she really didn't care all that much about the state of her clothes. She was a mess most days - some days were just messier than others.

Dylan flopped somewhat dramatically down onto the bed next to her, and Ash looked down at him with a smile. She couldn't help but be amused at how much he seemed to be enjoying himself as he sprawled out on the bed. "I'm not sure if you know this, seeing as you apparently don't have a lot of experience with this sort of thing..." Ash let herself fall back onto the bed next to him, then turned her head so that it faced his before finishing, "But this wonderful, plush, comfy thing you're lying on is called a bed. Most individuals use it for sleeping." She tried to adopt a serious expression as she teased him, but ended up breaking into a laugh at the end anyways.

[Dylan's Quarters]

"Scotch." he said, in response to her question before moving on. "Picked it up as a kid on freighters." He had indeed done it, but not this replicated mess... he had been brought into it on the pure stuff- oldstyle Earth Scotch, with real alcohol instead of whatever excuse the replicator put in there.

"Yeah," he said, sighing as he looked at his glove, "The holodeck. Got a program with my old team, they play and talk just like them. I usually place them up against old earth teams... sometimes I get my pants beaten off me and other times we do the same to them. Not the same as real, but pretty darn close. I don't use the current team... they've sucked quite a bit this year. Shame too, they were a winning team a few years ago."

He scrolled through a PADD, old team pictures, and one with his team in front of and around the trophy they'd won that year- league champions. Regardless, he kept in contact with some of them. Others he hadn't heard from in a long time. It was likely they didn't even remember the names of the teams they'd played against.

"Well you do have a point..." he said to her comment on her state of clothing. He shrugged a little, not really thinking her attire a problem. "Well you can always borrow my replicator if you need it." he said, shrugging. It's not like they were stranded somewhere with limited replicator supplies, or anything. That fate was not for this intrepid class. He didn't know if she'd want to change or anything, but he threw the offer out there nonetheless.

When she made her snide remarks, he had contemplated hitting her with a pillow but had decided that to be rude. It was tempting, however... but also a bad idea. He simply made some mumbling noises, something along the lines of "butit'scomfy", but he eventually got himself back up. "Aye but if I got too comfortable I'd never get up." he said, dramatically making an effort to rise but mock falling back down. "Nope, trapped. Not moving." he said, smiling at her. He joined in on her laughing, the tones mixing and him ending up smiling broadly, quite comfortable for once and realizing how tired he really was. It was becoming an effort to stay awake. "So..." he muttered, fading out already. "Shall we go get to work or sleep?"

Shadow Fleet

🡱 🡳

RPG-D Sci-Fi Avatars RPG Initiative RPGfix RPG Initiative Fodlan Chronicles

Star Trek and all related marks, logos and characters are solely owned by CBS Studios Inc. This fan production is not endorsed by, sponsored by, nor affiliated with CBS, Paramount Pictures, or any other Star Trek franchise, and is a non-commercial fan-made production intended for recreational use. No commercial exhibition or distribution is permitted. No alleged independent rights will be asserted against CBS or Paramount Pictures.