Author Topic: Change of Command Ceremony (Open to All)  (Read 9148 times)

Offline Ashlynn Ren Morgaine

• Approved Applicants
  • Experienced Member
  • Biannual Award for players who have created and played alts. Awarded to any player who has been with the Fleet 2 Years Awarded to players who demonstrate consistent high quality posting skills. Awarded to Players who have been with the Fleet for one year. Awarded to the player whom the CO feels is worthy of recognition.
    • View Profile
    • Awards
Re: Change of Command Ceremony (Open to All)
« Reply #15 on: September 30, 2016, 03:43:42 pm »
[Lounge]

"Pleasure to meet you, Ash." he said, with a smile. "Or more like properly meet you... last time we met was sickbay, which is never a good start to meeting someone." he said, his tone matching hers in lightness. He'd never made his way down to mess hall since Ash was onboard, he thought. "Last time I was in the Mess we had a few rather unfriendly Klingons. So I don't think I've been down there." he said, his hand going to his side where he had been stabbed by a rather nasty blade. "As to the mess... I might recommend bolting things you don't want moved to the floor, if past turbulence has played any role in teaching us. "

[Officer's Lounge]

Ash chuckled and tucked a strand of hair behind her ear, remembering how she must have looked in sickbay. "Yeah, that wasn't exactly a good first impression for either of us I imagine."

At the suggestion of bolting things down, she got extraordinarily excited. "I've been trying to work on that actually!" Her hand slid into the pocket of her dress to feel the designs she had gotten into the habit of carrying with her. Unfortunately they were a bit worse for wear, stained with blood after taking a ride in her apron last mission. She decided to leave them be for now. "I mean, I had some ideas, but I didn't know how or even if I should go about making modifications."

[Lounge]

As the officers and civilians trickled in to the lounge, Stafford smiled at Ash. The young lady had been a friend, someone to remind him that at the end of the day he wasn't just a walking, talking uniform. He was going to miss their chats and her food.

"Grab a drink, Ash." Stafford said in his gentle way. "Stay a while. I think I am going to have a refill, myself. But no food. The doctor said nothing too heavy for the time being. That's worse news than my leg."

"Torngate," The commander said, turning to the other Starfleet officer. "What happened with the Tucson after I was injured? I've read the report, of course, but I'd like your take on it."

Ash looked uncertainly at the bar. "I've never really had a drink before, so it's probably best if now isn't my first time." At his mournful comment about food, she broke into a full laugh. "I don't know how you're dealing with THAT hardship."

[Lounge]

Dylan sighed. This was not a conversation he wanted to have, but he answered anyways. "The Tuscon attempted to overtake the ship, but were detained. From what I hear, someone was rather creative with use of cookware... a pot was it?" he asked, directing the question to Ash. "Anyways, I beamed back over after somehow convincing the captain, and was able to decrypt their computer. Unfortunately, I tripped a silent trap that caused a warp core overload in the Tuscon, so I had to eject the core. Both ships survived, and we took the Tuscon under tow to the nearest starbase." he said, then broke down into the specifics, how the encryption was made, what had been done with the data, and even down to the Tuscon's command team's fate. A minute or so later he had finished and looked at the XO, wondering what he would say.

Ash felt a blush creep up her face at the mention of the mess hall brawl with the crew of the Tuscon. Does the whole crew know? "It was a frying pan actually." She corrected with a laugh.

Offline Constance Lafayette

• Shadow Fleet Reserves
  • Veteran Member
  • I love the smell of paperwork in the morning.
  • Awarded to any player who stuck with the site during the June 2017 Site Move Awarded by the FCO to the CO who has shown the best leadership. Awarded in January 2017 to all active members. Awarded in January and July by the FCO to crew of the most active SIMM. Awarded to players who participate in a Spread the Word campaign.
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #16 on: September 30, 2016, 03:59:28 pm »
[Officer's Lounge]

Captain Constance Lafayette liked nothing more than protocol but even she thought that the dress uniform was a bit formal. Still- she had every detail correct, even tradition and sumptuary law followed down to a T. Her hair was up in a tight bun with a pair of large pins holding it together and her eyes sharp as ever.

Despite her proper attire Constance had a way of unconsciously going unnoticed and appearing near those she commanded- she had ever since she was a department head back on the Fleetwood. She wore her customary passive frown but the crew knew by this point that it wasn't so much a scowl as just the way she looked.

She had used this talent for anonymity until required to make her way uninhibited by greetings or the like, to the center of the room near Luke, Dylan, and Ash. At first she seemed about as prickly as a cactus but her image smoothed when someone handed her a glass. It seemed like it had a hot, herbal, drink in it rather than something alcoholic. The doctor had mentioned using alternatives to stims...

She said formally and gave a nod. She sipped at the tea she'd been handed. It tasted like grass and she gave a sour expression but offered a wink to Luke afterwards.

She said almost shyly, her introverted nature taking over a bit. The statement was a little awkward to say. Though she'd never admit it publically, she'd miss the hell out of Luke. She was still a very new Captain and hardly had half Luke's tenure. She'd used him as a sounding board, a confidant, and the rock who grounded her higher ideals. He was a realist and, despite her love of order, she was an academic with a habit of following higher ideals rather than due course.

Rear Admiral Constance Lafayette
Commanding Officer, USS Athena
Academy Command Officer Instructor

Offline Malcolm Adeyemi

• Shadow Fleet Reserves
  • Champion Member
  • Awarded to any player who has been with the Fleet 5 Years Awarded in January and July by the FCO to crew of the most organized SIMM. Awarded in January and July to the player who writes the most engaging posts. Awarded to players in recognition of their recruitment efforts. Awarded to players who successfully complete the EPC or ATC.
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #17 on: September 30, 2016, 04:06:53 pm »
[Lounge]

Dylan sighed. This was not a conversation he wanted to have, but he answered anyways. "The Tuscon attempted to overtake the ship, but were detained. From what I hear, someone was rather creative with use of cookware... a pot was it?" he asked, directing the question to Ash. "Anyways, I beamed back over after somehow convincing the captain, and was able to decrypt their computer. Unfortunately, I tripped a silent trap that caused a warp core overload in the Tuscon, so I had to eject the core. Both ships survived, and we took the Tuscon under tow to the nearest starbase." he said, then broke down into the specifics, how the encryption was made, what had been done with the data, and even down to the Tuscon's command team's fate. A minute or so later he had finished and looked at the XO, wondering what he would say.

[Lounge]

"You did good work," was all Stafford said. "Sorry I wasn't around to help. That bastard DuPont...what became of him?"

There was considerable venom in his voice. A hands on conflict, a declared war, righteous combat in honorable battle...these things Stafford had experienced before. They were established. There were rules. No true officer would jury-rig a console to explode and cripple his enemy.

[Officer's Lounge]

Ash looked uncertainly at the bar. "I've never really had a drink before, so it's probably best if now isn't my first time." At his mournful comment about food, she broke into a full laugh. "I don't know how you're dealing with THAT hardship."

"It is a hardship." Stafford smiled at the young lady. He was glad she was there. Though he had asked, Torngate was bringing up some painful emotions. Still, they had to be dealt with, and he was never one to coddle himself or others.

[Officer's Lounge]

She said formally and gave a nod. She sipped at the tea she'd been handed. It tasted like grass and she gave a sour expression but offered a wink to Luke afterwards.

She said almost shyly, her introverted nature taking over a bit. The statement was a little awkward to say. Though she'd never admit it publically, she'd miss the hell out of Luke. She was still a very new Captain and hardly had half Luke's tenure. She'd used him as a sounding board, a confidant, and the rock who grounded her higher ideals. He was a realist and, despite her love of order, she was an academic with a habit of following higher ideals rather than due course.

• Shadow Fleet Reserves
  • Veteran Member
  • Awarded to any player who stuck with the site during the June 2017 Site Move Awarded by the FCO to the CO who has shown the best leadership. Awarded in January 2017 to all active members. Awarded in January and July by the FCO to crew of the most active SIMM. Awarded to players who participate in a Spread the Word campaign.
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #18 on: September 30, 2016, 04:16:21 pm »
[Lounge]

"At ease Luke. We may be in formal dress but the situation is anything but."

The words were drawn out of her rather than spoken- she felt a need to put him at ease. After all, he'd not be able to do that for a long time. He was being made a CO.

"Luke... I." She began but looked away a little.

"Luke I wanted to tell you that you did an acceptable job and that the Athena's efficiency will be down at least 16% over the course of the onboarding period of your replacement due to your exceptional work and most agreeable disposition..."

She babbled that bit but didn't know what else to say. Any other first officer leaving would only cause a 6-12% dip. A 16% was really quite a statement.

She gulped down a mouthful of the disgusting tea. At least that was less painful than this situation.

"And by that I, of course, mean that I've come to rely on you both in a professional capacity and as a close friend."

There. She said it. Now could she stop this awkwardness? She hated situations like this. She could have put this all down on paper very easily and far more eloquently. She had. She thought it would make saying it easier. It didn't. She was losing a friend and that was never easy. Probably the only real one she had on the ship- everyone else was on pins and needles around her.

Offline Catrin Maddux

• Shadow Fleet Reserves
  • Experienced Member
  • Don't you forget about me.
  • Awarded to the player who has greatly improved since the last awards ceremony. Awarded to any player who stuck with the site during the June 2017 Site Move Awarded to players who have been with the fleet for six months. Awarded to any player who donates money to help keep SF running Awarded in January 2017 to all active members.
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #19 on: September 30, 2016, 04:16:50 pm »
[Crew Quarters]

Scott was in his room getting ready for the Change of Command. He didn't really care for the dress uniforms, but it was required. He was nearly ready.

"Cat," he began, "we need to hurry or we'll be late."

It was kind of a big day for everyone.
[Crew Quarters]

"Dunno why you're nagging at me, Leo. I was already dressed when I came in here." Catrin straightened the cuffs on her dress uniform, but remained seated, feet crossed at her ankles.  "Now finish fluffing your hair so we can go."

Tell me your troubles and doubts. Giving me everything inside and out...

Offline Leonard T. Scott

• Flight Control Instructor
  • Shadow Fleet Reserves
  • Trusted Member
  • May fortune favor the foolish
  • Awarded to any player who stuck with the site during the June 2017 Site Move Awarded to any player who writes the Post of the Month. Awarded in January and July by the FCO to crew of the most active SIMM. Awarded in January 2017 to all active members. Awarded in January and July to the two players who are the best team.
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #20 on: September 30, 2016, 04:28:53 pm »
[Crew Quarters]

"Dunno why you're nagging at me, Leo. I was already dressed when I came in here." Catrin straightened the cuffs on her dress uniform, but remained seated, feet crossed at her ankles.  "Now finish fluffing your hair so we can go."

"Yeah, yeah," Scott shot back with a laugh. "I'm ready."

They exited his room and proceeded to the officer's lounge.

[Officer's Lounge]

"So, it seems the party has finally started," Scott said with a laugh.

Athena Second Officer. Feel free to message me if have any issues that need addressing.
Flight Control Instructor
"Keyboard. How quaint." - Captain Montgomery Scott

Offline Malcolm Adeyemi

• Shadow Fleet Reserves
  • Champion Member
  • Awarded to any player who has been with the Fleet 5 Years Awarded in January and July by the FCO to crew of the most organized SIMM. Awarded in January and July to the player who writes the most engaging posts. Awarded to players in recognition of their recruitment efforts. Awarded to players who successfully complete the EPC or ATC.
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #21 on: September 30, 2016, 04:30:33 pm »
[Lounge]

"At ease Luke. We may be in formal dress but the situation is anything but."

The words were drawn out of her rather than spoken- she felt a need to put him at ease. After all, he'd not be able to do that for a long time. He was being made a CO.

"Luke... I." She began but looked away a little.

"Luke I wanted to tell you that you did an acceptable job and that the Athena's efficiency will be down at least 16% over the course of the onboarding period of your replacement due to your exceptional work and most agreeable disposition..."

She babbled that bit but didn't know what else to say. Any other first officer leaving would only cause a 6-12% dip. A 16% was really quite a statement.

She gulped down a mouthful of the disgusting tea. At least that was less painful than this situation.

"And by that I, of course, mean that I've come to rely on you both in a professional capacity and as a close friend."

There. She said it. Now could she stop this awkwardness? She hated situations like this. She could have put this all down on paper very easily and far more eloquently. She had. She thought it would make saying it easier. It didn't. She was losing a friend and that was never easy. Probably the only real one she had on the ship- everyone else was on pins and needles around her.

[Lounge]

Stafford's emotions cleared up when he observed Lafayette fumbling to speak her mind, and her heart. His sadness grew into amusement as he watched her attempt to reach out to him. He could barely contain his mirth and how touched he was. For all of her coldness and her clinical skill the captain was a young lady at heart, a brilliant woman that lived in the analytical world of computers and theory and command decisions. It couldn't have been easy for her to come here and say this...even if she was quoting percentages at him.

"Captain...Constance." Stafford realized he'd never said her first name before, not even in private. "You'll be sorely missed, too. The Athena will always have a place in my heart. And as long as they'll keep me around you can bring her to the Columbus anytime."

• Approved Applicants
  • Experienced Member
  • Biannual Award for players who have created and played alts. Awarded to any player who has been with the Fleet 2 Years Awarded to players who demonstrate consistent high quality posting skills. Awarded to Players who have been with the Fleet for one year. Awarded to the player whom the CO feels is worthy of recognition.
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #22 on: September 30, 2016, 04:42:30 pm »
[Lounge]

Stafford's emotions cleared up when he observed Lafayette fumbling to speak her mind, and her heart. His sadness grew into amusement as he watched her attempt to reach out to him. He could barely contain his mirth and how touched he was. For all of her coldness and her clinical skill the captain was a young lady at heart, a brilliant woman that lived in the analytical world of computers and theory and command decisions. It couldn't have been easy for her to come here and say this...even if she was quoting percentages at him.

"Captain...Constance." Stafford realized he'd never said her first name before, not even in private. "You'll be sorely missed, too. The Athena will always have a place in my heart. And as long as they'll keep me around you can bring her to the Columbus anytime."

[Lounge]

"Oh, Captain! Surely we can stop by and visit Luke if the opportunity arises!" She looked at Constance with a hopeful, friendly smile. She didn't want to entertain the idea that she'd never see her friend again, and she latched onto Luke's suggestion almost as soon as it left his mouth.

• Shadow Fleet Reserves
  • Veteran Member
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #23 on: September 30, 2016, 04:51:39 pm »
[Lounge]

"That's quite obvious Comman- Luke. It is the ship's primary resupply station." She said rather casually, stopping herself from using his rank.

"However, I will be excited to see the uptick in efficiency when I get there. Don't forget to file you TT-31s ahead of the scheduled maintenance rotation or I'll hunt you down myself and force you to file them in triplicate... with a pen." She said attempting humor.

She signed and moved on.

"But we are here for some other reasons. As you know Luke and I discussed who to assign to try to fill his shoes. Effective once we drop Luke off on Lampour Station, Mr. Carter will be the Athena's new Executive Officer and, taking his absent spot, will be dear Mr. Torngate. Contingent with that, Mr. Carter will be promoted to the temporary rank of acting commander and Mr. Torngate to the similarly styled rank of acting Lieutenant Commander."

She wanted to get this business out and done with. She produced two acting rank insignias in black boxes.

"Oh... and do try to avoid damaging my new XO Dylan... he's still got that new XO smell."

Was that an honest to god smile on her lips? It sure as hell looked like it.

Offline Malcolm Adeyemi

• Shadow Fleet Reserves
  • Champion Member
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #24 on: September 30, 2016, 05:02:06 pm »
[Lounge]

"That's quite obvious Comman- Luke. It is the ship's primary resupply station." She said rather casually, stopping herself from using his rank.

"However, I will be excited to see the uptick in efficiency when I get there. Don't forget to file you TT-31s ahead of the scheduled maintenance rotation or I'll hunt you down myself and force you to file them in triplicate... with a pen." She said attempting humor.

She signed and moved on.

"But we are here for some other reasons. As you know Luke and I discussed who to assign to try to fill his shoes. Effective once we drop Luke off on Lampour Station, Mr. Carter will be the Athena's new Executive Officer and, taking his absent spot, will be dear Mr. Torngate. Contingent with that, Mr. Carter will be promoted to the temporary rank of acting commander and Mr. Torngate to the similarly styled rank of acting Lieutenant Commander."

She wanted to get this business out and done with. She produced two acting rank insignias in black boxes.

"Oh... and do try to avoid damaging my new XO Dylan... he's still got that new XO smell."

Was that an honest to god smile on her lips? It sure as hell looked like it.

[Lounge]

Stafford couldn't help but chuckle. His own smile they were all accustomed to. In fact, the commander did it so much that there were laugh lines at the corners of his mouth, making him look like some little girl's favorite uncle.

"Dream on, captain." The commander said lightly. "I have been laboring under your lash for too long. The Columbus is going to be the loosest base in Starfleet."

Stafford was joking, of course. He wasn't as regimented or by the books as Lafayette was, but he ran a tight ship. His style of leadership was vastly different, however.

Offline Dylan Torngate

• DAMMIT DYLAN
  • Site Administrators
  • Honoured Member
  • Who made this guy an Admiral?
  • Awarded by the FCO to the CO who has shown the best leadership. Awarded every January by the FCO. Awarded in January and July by the FCO to crew of the most active SIMM. Awarded to the player whom the CO feels is worthy of recognition. Awarded to those who demonstrate great knowledge of their profession.
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #25 on: September 30, 2016, 05:11:49 pm »
[Officer's Lounge]

Ash chuckled and tucked a strand of hair behind her ear, remembering how she must have looked in sickbay. "Yeah, that wasn't exactly a good first impression for either of us I imagine."

At the suggestion of bolting things down, she got extraordinarily excited. "I've been trying to work on that actually!" Her hand slid into the pocket of her dress to feel the designs she had gotten into the habit of carrying with her. Unfortunately they were a bit worse for wear, stained with blood after taking a ride in her apron last mission. She decided to leave them be for now. "I mean, I had some ideas, but I didn't know how or even if I should go about making modifications."

Ash felt a blush creep up her face at the mention of the mess hall brawl with the crew of the Tuscon. Does the whole crew know? "It was a frying pan actually." She corrected with a laugh.

"Ah, yes, of course. Forgive me." he said, smiling and in a very informal mood. "Frying pan it is." he said, a thoughtful smile on his lips. He was planning something, but she didn't know it yet. The Engineers liked to do weird things for the rest of the crew sometimes, from sending Waring a coffee machine to... other things, gifts were their specialty. "And if you ever have any ideas on what you want done with those bolts, just let me know. We'll work something out."

[Lounge]

"You did good work," was all Stafford said. "Sorry I wasn't around to help. That bastard DuPont...what became of him?"

There was considerable venom in his voice. A hands on conflict, a declared war, righteous combat in honorable battle...these things Stafford had experienced before. They were established. There were rules. No true officer would jury-rig a console to explode and cripple his enemy.

"It is a hardship." Stafford smiled at the young lady. He was glad she was there. Though he had asked, Torngate was bringing up some painful emotions. Still, they had to be dealt with, and he was never one to coddle himself or others.

Dylan watched as the Captain came over to them. He nodded to her, and kept out of their conversation, not wanting to step on anyone's toes. He looked at Luke, a wistful grimace. "Suicide in the Brig." he said succinctly, not wanting to talk on the subject. He also didn't know many more of the details.

He glanced at Ash when the captain began to break down, surprise evident on his face. The captain never, NEVER broke protocol or formality, and definitely not like this! She was, surprisingly, showing her humanity to the light of day. Dylan attributed it to the long hours spent in the isolation chamber, which still had all of his supplies. The machine shop had expanded to cover half the unused space on the Engineering deck, and it could pump out almost anything like the ancient NX class ships.

He was still listening when the Captain mentioned his name and that of the promotions. At that he took interest, looking over at them. When he heard that he was being made 2nd Officer, he looked with the "are you serious" eyes and then his expression became one of surprise as he was pushed a box of rank pins, with the new insignia of Acting Lieutenant Commander. His jaw went agape just how so ever briefly, as he tried to comprehend. Not too long ago he had still been an Ensign, and now, now he was a Lieutenant just turned Lieutenant Commander!

"T.. Thank You Captain..." he stuttered, trying to form complete thoughts as he tried almost in vain to process that. There was no doubt in his mind, however, that he was making a complete fool of himself.
Webmaster and Administrator
Shadow Fleet

Offline Catrin Maddux

• Shadow Fleet Reserves
  • Experienced Member
  • Don't you forget about me.
  • Awarded to the player who has greatly improved since the last awards ceremony. Awarded to any player who stuck with the site during the June 2017 Site Move Awarded to players who have been with the fleet for six months. Awarded to any player who donates money to help keep SF running Awarded in January 2017 to all active members.
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #26 on: September 30, 2016, 06:35:42 pm »
"Yeah, yeah," Scott shot back with a laugh. "I'm ready."

They exited his room and proceeded to the officer's lounge.

[Officer's Lounge]

"So, it seems the party has finally started," Scott said with a laugh.

[Officer's Lounge]

"It appears so. Everyone seems to be having a good time." Catrin glanced over the room, feeling a jumble of emotions assaulting her senses. She decided just to focus on Leo and held his hand to center herself.

"Let's get some drinks and join them, shall we?" She smiled at him and playfully tugged him along.

Tell me your troubles and doubts. Giving me everything inside and out...

Offline Leonard T. Scott

• Flight Control Instructor
  • Shadow Fleet Reserves
  • Trusted Member
  • May fortune favor the foolish
  • Awarded to any player who stuck with the site during the June 2017 Site Move Awarded to any player who writes the Post of the Month. Awarded in January and July by the FCO to crew of the most active SIMM. Awarded in January 2017 to all active members. Awarded in January and July to the two players who are the best team.
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #27 on: September 30, 2016, 07:19:07 pm »
[Officer's Lounge]

"It appears so. Everyone seems to be having a good time." Catrin glanced over the room, feeling a jumble of emotions assaulting her senses. She decided just to focus on Leo and held his hand to center herself.

"Let's get some drinks and join them, shall we?" She smiled at him and playfully tugged him along.

"That sounds great," Scott replied.

He led her to the bar and ordered for them both. It was nice to be at functions like this. Even better now that he had Cat in his life.

Athena Second Officer. Feel free to message me if have any issues that need addressing.
Flight Control Instructor
"Keyboard. How quaint." - Captain Montgomery Scott

Offline James Carter

• Site Administrators
  • Veteran Member
  • Grapefruit.
  • Awarded to any player who has been with the Fleet 5 Years Awarded in January and July by the FCO to crew of the most friendly SIMM. Biannual Award for players who have created and played alts. Awarded to any player who stuck with the site during the June 2017 Site Move
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #28 on: September 30, 2016, 07:20:26 pm »
[Quarters]

The alarm bellowed through James's room. A few moments passed before he finally woke up and slapped the alarm behind him without looking at it. He slowly sat up and looked around the room before he finally got up and walked to the bathroom. He turned the sink on and splashed his face when he got a glimpse of the time on his watch. He had to look at it a second time to confirm what he thought he saw. "Oh...I am already late." He said quietly paused in place for a moment before he rushed to get ready.

Now that he was finally dressed he moved back to the mirror and placed his watch on the sink. The watch was very, very old. It had been handed down through generations of Carter's he smiled as he looked back up to the mirror and made final adjustments to his dress uniform.

[Officer's Lounge]

Despite being late, he still took his time to arrive. He saw a group of people over by the bar and made his way towards it. "Whisky, please." He asked the bartender before looking over to the others silently.

• Approved Applicants
  • Experienced Member
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #29 on: September 30, 2016, 07:37:04 pm »
"Ah, yes, of course. Forgive me." he said, smiling and in a very informal mood. "Frying pan it is." he said, a thoughtful smile on his lips. He was planning something, but she didn't know it yet. The Engineers liked to do weird things for the rest of the crew sometimes, from sending Waring a coffee machine to... other things, gifts were their specialty. "And if you ever have any ideas on what you want done with those bolts, just let me know. We'll work something out."

Dylan watched as the Captain came over to them. He nodded to her, and kept out of their conversation, not wanting to step on anyone's toes. He looked at Luke, a wistful grimace. "Suicide in the Brig." he said succinctly, not wanting to talk on the subject. He also didn't know many more of the details.

He glanced at Ash when the captain began to break down, surprise evident on his face. The captain never, NEVER broke protocol or formality, and definitely not like this! She was, surprisingly, showing her humanity to the light of day. Dylan attributed it to the long hours spent in the isolation chamber, which still had all of his supplies. The machine shop had expanded to cover half the unused space on the Engineering deck, and it could pump out almost anything like the ancient NX class ships.

He was still listening when the Captain mentioned his name and that of the promotions. At that he took interest, looking over at them. When he heard that he was being made 2nd Officer, he looked with the "are you serious" eyes and then his expression became one of surprise as he was pushed a box of rank pins, with the new insignia of Acting Lieutenant Commander. His jaw went agape just how so ever briefly, as he tried to comprehend. Not too long ago he had still been an Ensign, and now, now he was a Lieutenant just turned Lieutenant Commander!

"T.. Thank You Captain..." he stuttered, trying to form complete thoughts as he tried almost in vain to process that. There was no doubt in his mind, however, that he was making a complete fool of himself.

[Lounge]

"I'll be sure to take you up on that... Mr. Torngate." I think that's what Luke addressed him as earlier, at least. She offered a warm smile, hopeful that this could be the start of a new friendship.

Ash shared an amused look of surprise with the engineer at the Captain's actions. She couldn't help but smile at the situation. It was extremely strange, almost surreal, but not unpleasant in the least. This wasn't the first time Ash had seen Captain Lafayette with a smile on her face recently, and she couldn't help but wonder if the Captain was starting to lower some of her usual walls .

At the announcement of the promotions, Ash felt her own eyes widen and a smile grow on her face - a smile that quickly turned into bubbling laughter at Captain Lafayette's joke and Dylan's (So THAT'S his first name) awkward acceptance. "I think 'congratulations' are in order then!"

Sitting there in that group, Ash definitely was the odd one out. A Captain, an XO, a future Lieutenant Commander... And then there was her: a civilian - and not a very good one at that. Yet, in spite of that, she didn't feel it. In fact, she was starting to feel like she actually belonged for the first time.

RPG-D Sci-Fi Avatars RPG Initiative RPGfix RPG Initiative Fodlan Chronicles