Author Topic: Change of Command Ceremony (Open to All)  (Read 9136 times)

Offline Malcolm Adeyemi

• Shadow Fleet Reserves
  • Champion Member
  • Awarded to any player who has been with the Fleet 5 Years Awarded in January and July by the FCO to crew of the most organized SIMM. Awarded to players in recognition of their recruitment efforts. Awarded in January and July to the player who writes the most engaging posts. Awarded to players who successfully complete the EPC or ATC.
    • View Profile
    • Awards
Change of Command Ceremony (Open to All)
« on: September 30, 2016, 01:08:06 pm »
[Officer's Lounge]

The double doors swished open but Stafford was a long time stepping through them.

Stepping conjures up images of a smooth gait, a confident walk, something fluid. What shambled into the lounge was anything but.

The explosion on the Tucson had rendered the commander barely able to walk without aid. In his right hand was a handsome wooden cane that he needed to walk as briskly as he could. A dermal regenerator had been let loose on his face, but some of the scars were too deep to have healed completely. His face was pale, drawn, the eyes were blue pools set too deep into the skull. His head was speckled with a few days worth of stubble, but one could still see sweat from even this small exertion.

All eyes were on him as he hobbled to the bar. He waved off the bartender. It took him a long time to sit. He belatedly realized that he should be at the podium in the center of the room, but he was early, anyway. He resolved to wait.

Stafford had a feeling that the officer chosen for the XO position was going to be fashionably late. It was their day, though, so he wouldn't raise too much of a stink.

Offline Dylan Torngate

• DAMMIT DYLAN
  • Site Administrators
  • Honoured Member
  • Who made this guy an Admiral?
  • Awarded by the FCO to the CO who has shown the best leadership. Awarded every January by the FCO. Awarded in January and July by the FCO to crew of the most active SIMM. Awarded to those who demonstrate great knowledge of their profession. Awarded to the player whom the CO feels is worthy of recognition.
    • View Profile
    • Awards
Re: Change of Command Ceremony (Open to All)
« Reply #1 on: September 30, 2016, 01:37:05 pm »
[Lounge]

Dylan entered the room, looking around the room. Dylan was dressed in his B uniforms, commonly called the dress uniform. They were uncomfortable, stuffy, and very restricting in motion. But they had been ordered to wear them and so wear them Dylan would.

He saw the XO had arrived already, and bit his lip. He still felt guilty about the accident that had scarred Stafford so, but there was little he could do about it. He walked over to the bar and sat down.

"Sir." he said, nodding to the man. "How are you feeling?"
Webmaster and Administrator
Shadow Fleet

Offline Malcolm Adeyemi

• Shadow Fleet Reserves
  • Champion Member
  • Awarded to any player who has been with the Fleet 5 Years Awarded in January and July by the FCO to crew of the most organized SIMM. Awarded to players in recognition of their recruitment efforts. Awarded in January and July to the player who writes the most engaging posts. Awarded to players who successfully complete the EPC or ATC.
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #2 on: September 30, 2016, 01:42:40 pm »
[Lounge]

Dylan entered the room, looking around the room. Dylan was dressed in his B uniforms, commonly called the dress uniform. They were uncomfortable, stuffy, and very restricting in motion. But they had been ordered to wear them and so wear them Dylan would.

He saw the XO had arrived already, and bit his lip. He still felt guilty about the accident that had scarred Stafford so, but there was little he could do about it. He walked over to the bar and sat down.

"Sir." he said, nodding to the man. "How are you feeling?"

[Officer's Lounge]

"Torngate." Stafford said, voice strained. Despite himself, he felt a smile breaking out. The young engineering lieutenant was a new spit and polish officer, probably still didn't know his ass from a hole in subspace, but the commander liked him just the same.

"I'm doing well, Lieutenant. Takes more than an exploding console to send this old warhorse to the glue factory." The saying was one from his home, something people still said back on earth in rural coal country. "The doctors say that I'll have no permanent neural damage. The cane may have to stay, however. We'll see."

"Get you a drink, lieutenant?" Stafford asked.

Offline Dylan Torngate

• DAMMIT DYLAN
  • Site Administrators
  • Honoured Member
  • Awarded by the FCO to the CO who has shown the best leadership. Awarded every January by the FCO. Awarded in January and July by the FCO to crew of the most active SIMM. Awarded to those who demonstrate great knowledge of their profession. Awarded to the player whom the CO feels is worthy of recognition.
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #3 on: September 30, 2016, 01:58:09 pm »
[Officer's Lounge]

"Torngate." Stafford said, voice strained. Despite himself, he felt a smile breaking out. The young engineering lieutenant was a new spit and polish officer, probably still didn't know his ass from a hole in subspace, but the commander liked him just the same.

"I'm doing well, Lieutenant. Takes more than an exploding console to send this old warhorse to the glue factory." The saying was one from his home, something people still said back on earth in rural coal country. "The doctors say that I'll have no permanent neural damage. The cane may have to stay, however. We'll see."

"Get you a drink, lieutenant?" Stafford asked.

[Officer's lounge]

He winced at the man's voice. He sounded a lot worse than he felt, likely, but all the same he sounded like he'd had is vocal cords ripped out and duct taped back in. Otherwise, he looked better than Dylan expected for a man who'd been so far in sickbay recently.

"Good to hear, Sir." he said, smiling, however thinly. "Though if I may, you look remarkably well for someone who was mostly dead recently."

He looked to the cane. It was a solid device, sure, but it looked awkward to be carrying around and relying on it, however. "Ahh, that'd be great sir, Just a synthehol." he said. it was rather bland tastes but hey, it was better than nothing.
Shadow Fleet

Offline Malcolm Adeyemi

• Shadow Fleet Reserves
  • Champion Member
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #4 on: September 30, 2016, 02:01:35 pm »
[Officer's lounge]

He winced at the man's voice. He sounded a lot worse than he felt, likely, but all the same he sounded like he'd had is vocal cords ripped out and duct taped back in. Otherwise, he looked better than Dylan expected for a man who'd been so far in sickbay recently.

"Good to hear, Sir." he said, smiling, however thinly. "Though if I may, you look remarkably well for someone who was mostly dead recently."

He looked to the cane. It was a solid device, sure, but it looked awkward to be carrying around and relying on it, however. "Ahh, that'd be great sir, Just a synthehol." he said. it was rather bland tastes but hey, it was better than nothing.

[Lounge]

Stafford smiled at the young officer and indicated to the bartender with an indifferent gesture. The young man hadn't specified, so Stafford ordered him a whiskey.

He'd have to do with synthehol, himself, but he didn't have to like it. The doctors had said no real alcohol, no caffeine, nothing to upset his digestion. The commander had once had a problem with real alcohol, a long time ago, so he only drank seldom these days. But Stafford was still old school, preferred the real thing.

When the two glasses were deposited in front of the men Stafford scooped his up and slid Torngate's glass over to him with the tips of his fingers.

"What shall we drink to?"

Offline Dylan Torngate

• DAMMIT DYLAN
  • Site Administrators
  • Honoured Member
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #5 on: September 30, 2016, 02:25:25 pm »
[Lounge]

Stafford smiled at the young officer and indicated to the bartender with an indifferent gesture. The young man hadn't specified, so Stafford ordered him a whiskey.

He'd have to do with synthehol, himself, but he didn't have to like it. The doctors had said no real alcohol, no caffeine, nothing to upset his digestion. The commander had once had a problem with real alcohol, a long time ago, so he only drank seldom these days. But Stafford was still old school, preferred the real thing.

When the two glasses were deposited in front of the men Stafford scooped his up and slid Torngate's glass over to him with the tips of his fingers.

"What shall we drink to?"

[Lounge]

When Dylan received his drink, he nodded to the bartender as he took it in his hands. He looked over to the commander. "Well..." he said, looking at the man. "To good health, and a speedy recovery?" he asked the man.

He took a sip and nearly coughed as he felt the fire down his throat. Whiskey, even synthetic, was more than he was used to. He kept it down though, dispute the best efforts.

He looked to the Commander, smiling as he blinked. "Strong, for a replicator." he said, grinning. His professional attitude began slightly melting away. He leaned back as far as his uniform would allow, sighing. "It's going to be... odd not having you around, sir. Where you off to next?" he asked, not quite knowing.
Shadow Fleet

Offline Malcolm Adeyemi

• Shadow Fleet Reserves
  • Champion Member
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #6 on: September 30, 2016, 02:29:51 pm »
[Lounge]

When Dylan received his drink, he nodded to the bartender as he took it in his hands. He looked over to the commander. "Well..." he said, looking at the man. "To good health, and a speedy recovery?" he asked the man.

He took a sip and nearly coughed as he felt the fire down his throat. Whiskey, even synthetic, was more than he was used to. He kept it down though, dispute the best efforts.

He looked to the Commander, smiling as he blinked. "Strong, for a replicator." he said, grinning. His professional attitude began slightly melting away. He leaned back as far as his uniform would allow, sighing. "It's going to be... odd not having you around, sir. Where you off to next?" he asked, not quite knowing.

[Officer]

It appeared that Stafford hadn't lost his sense of humor. After acknowledging the toast the commander barked out his harsh, happy laugh at Dylan's reaction to the whiskey. He wiped a tear and took a more measured sip of his drink. The laugh had made his insides hurt a little, the heaving motion. Ow.

"I appreciate that, Lieutenant. It's going to be strange not being here on the Athena." He said. "I guess Starfleet thinks that the Executive Officer of the Athena should be a little more spry. I've been sent off to the Starbase Columbus, to be the new CO."

Offline Ashlynn Ren Morgaine

• Approved Applicants
  • Experienced Member
  • Biannual Award for players who have created and played alts. Awarded to players who demonstrate consistent high quality posting skills. Awarded to any player who has been with the Fleet 2 Years Awarded to Players who have been with the Fleet for one year. Awarded to the player whom the CO feels is worthy of recognition.
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #7 on: September 30, 2016, 02:43:46 pm »
[Officer's Lounge]

Ashlynn fiddled with the strap of her dress as she slipped quietly into the room. She always felt rather uncomfortably exposed in it, but her discomfort was overruled by the need to look presentable. If the ceremony had been for anyone else she'd have been tempted to forgo the formal attire, but Luke deserved better than that. She felt another pang in her chest at the thought of him leaving the Athena. He was the only semblance of a friend that she had so far, and she would miss his occasional visits more than he'd probably know.

She milled about the room, occasionally making awkward small talk, and decided rather quickly to make her way over to the bar. She'd feel better back in 'her element,' and she'd been meaning to ask a few questions about bar-tending anyway. Spotting a familiar figure at the bar, however, that was quickly forgotten.

"Luke! I mean - Commander Stafford!" She caught herself, aware of the other officers in the room, and promptly ruined the effect by giving him an overenthusiastic hug that was probably highly inappropriate for an XO. The last time she had seen him he had been lying on a biobed surrounded by a team of medical staff, so despite his new scars and cane Ash was ecstatic to see him. And even happier to see him smiling.

"I'm so glad to see you looking better! I was hoping - Oh!" She cut herself off as she noticed that he already had company - the engineer who had brought him to sickbay, if she remembered correctly. "I'm sorry, I didn't mean to interrupt!"

Offline Malcolm Adeyemi

• Shadow Fleet Reserves
  • Champion Member
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #8 on: September 30, 2016, 02:46:43 pm »
[Officer's Lounge]

"Luke! I mean - Commander Stafford!" She caught herself, aware of the other officers in the room, and promptly ruined the effect by giving him an overenthusiastic hug that was probably highly inappropriate for an XO. The last time she had seen him he had been lying on a biobed surrounded by a team of medical staff, so despite his new scars and cane Ash was ecstatic to see him. And even happier to see him smiling.

"I'm so glad to see you looking better! I was hoping - Oh!" She cut herself off as she noticed that he already had company - the engineer who had brought him to sickbay, if she remembered correctly. "I'm sorry, I didn't mean to interrupt!"

[Officer's Lounge]

"Not at all, Ash. Please, 'Luke' is just fine." Stafford shot Torngate a mock warning look, as if to say, It's 'Commander' to you but he was only joking. "Please, join us. By all means. We all might as well have some fun before this ceremony starts."

Offline Dylan Torngate

• DAMMIT DYLAN
  • Site Administrators
  • Honoured Member
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #9 on: September 30, 2016, 02:50:59 pm »
[Officer]

It appeared that Stafford hadn't lost his sense of humor. After acknowledging the toast the commander barked out his harsh, happy laugh at Dylan's reaction to the whiskey. He wiped a tear and took a more measured sip of his drink. The laugh had made his insides hurt a little, the heaving motion. Ow.

"I appreciate that, Lieutenant. It's going to be strange not being here on the Athena." He said. "I guess Starfleet thinks that the Executive Officer of the Athena should be a little more spry. I've been sent off to the Starbase Columbus, to be the new CO."

[Lounge]

Dylan continued sipping his drink, the fire running down his throat. He came accustomed to it, however, and came to enjoy it. He looked at the Commander with a smile on his face. "You did that on purpose!" he exclaimed, laughing a bit at his own expense. The last time this man would be his direct boss, and he was still making a fool of Dylan.

"Aye a Starbase is a change." he said, thinking. "Plenty of room to move around, however. As to spry, you've got plenty of energy left in you. from what I can see." he said, grinning. The old man could still give Dylan a run for his money.

[Officer's Lounge]

Ashlynn fiddled with the strap of her dress as she slipped quietly into the room. She always felt rather uncomfortably exposed in it, but her discomfort was overruled by the need to look presentable. If the ceremony had been for anyone else she'd have been tempted to forgo the formal attire, but Luke deserved better than that. She felt another pang in her chest at the thought of him leaving the Athena. He was the only semblance of a friend that she had so far, and she would miss his occasional visits more than he'd probably know.

She milled about the room, occasionally making awkward small talk, and decided rather quickly to make her way over to the bar. She'd feel better back in 'her element,' and she'd been meaning to ask a few questions about bar-tending anyway. Spotting a familiar figure at the bar, however, that was quickly forgotten.

[Officer's Lounge]

"Not at all, Ash. Please, 'Luke' is just fine." Stafford shot Torngate a mock warning look, as if to say, It's 'Commander' to you but he was only joking. "Please, join us. By all means. We all might as well have some fun before this ceremony starts."

He looked as a woman he didn't recognize walked in and at first took Dylan by surprise as she ran up and hugged Luke. He laughed to himself, quietly enough that it didn't spread across the room but loud enough that the two of them would hear. With a smile on his face, he waved off her apology. "No problem at all, Ms...?" he asked, not sure as to who she was.
Shadow Fleet

Offline Ashlynn Ren Morgaine

• Approved Applicants
  • Experienced Member
  • Biannual Award for players who have created and played alts. Awarded to players who demonstrate consistent high quality posting skills. Awarded to any player who has been with the Fleet 2 Years Awarded to Players who have been with the Fleet for one year. Awarded to the player whom the CO feels is worthy of recognition.
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #10 on: September 30, 2016, 03:06:39 pm »
[Officer's Lounge]

[Officer's Lounge]
She felt a smile spread across her face. "Well, I have been in dire need of some fun lately..." She took a seat next to them.

[Lounge]

Dylan continued sipping his drink, the fire running down his throat. He came accustomed to it, however, and came to enjoy it. He looked at the Commander with a smile on his face. "You did that on purpose!" he exclaimed, laughing a bit at his own expense. The last time this man would be his direct boss, and he was still making a fool of Dylan.

"Aye a Starbase is a change." he said, thinking. "Plenty of room to move around, however. As to spry, you've got plenty of energy left in you. from what I can see." he said, grinning. The old man could still give Dylan a run for his money.

He looked as a woman he didn't recognize walked in and at first took Dylan by surprise as she ran up and hugged Luke. He laughed to himself, quietly enough that it didn't spread across the room but loud enough that the two of them would hear. With a smile on his face, he waved off her apology. "No problem at all, Ms...?" he asked, not sure as to who she was.

She shyly returned the engineer's smile. "Morgaine. But please don't call me that. It makes me feel like a little girl about to be reprimanded by a teacher. I'd much prefer Ash - or Ashlynn if you feel the need to be stuffy and formal." She added the last bit in a joking tone as she began relaxing a little. "I'm the mess hall manager. Or, more appropriately at the moment, the 'giant mess cleaner.'"

Offline Leonard T. Scott

• Flight Control Instructor
  • Shadow Fleet Reserves
  • Trusted Member
  • May fortune favor the foolish
  • Awarded to any player who stuck with the site during the June 2017 Site Move Awarded to any player who writes the Post of the Month. Awarded in January 2017 to all active members. Awarded in January and July by the FCO to crew of the most active SIMM. Awarded in January and July to the two players who are the best team.
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #11 on: September 30, 2016, 03:13:40 pm »
[Crew Quarters]

Scott was in his room getting ready for the Change of Command. He didn't really care for the dress uniforms, but it was required. He was nearly ready.

"Cat," he began, "we need to hurry or we'll be late."

It was kind of a big day for everyone.

Athena Second Officer. Feel free to message me if have any issues that need addressing.
Flight Control Instructor
"Keyboard. How quaint." - Captain Montgomery Scott

Offline Dylan Torngate

• DAMMIT DYLAN
  • Site Administrators
  • Honoured Member
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #12 on: September 30, 2016, 03:14:14 pm »
[Officer's Lounge]
She felt a smile spread across her face. "Well, I have been in dire need of some fun lately..." She took a seat next to them.

She shyly returned the engineer's smile. "Morgaine. But please don't call me that. It makes me feel like a little girl about to be reprimanded by a teacher. I'd much prefer Ash - or Ashlynn if you feel the need to be stuffy and formal." She added the last bit in a joking tone as she began relaxing a little. "I'm the mess hall manager. Or, more appropriately at the moment, the 'giant mess cleaner.'"

[Lounge]

"Pleasure to meet you, Ash." he said, with a smile. "Or more like properly meet you... last time we met was sickbay, which is never a good start to meeting someone." he said, his tone matching hers in lightness. He'd never made his way down to mess hall since Ash was onboard, he thought. "Last time I was in the Mess we had a few rather unfriendly Klingons. So I don't think I've been down there." he said, his hand going to his side where he had been stabbed by a rather nasty blade. "As to the mess... I might recommend bolting things you don't want moved to the floor, if past turbulence has played any role in teaching us. "
Shadow Fleet

Offline Malcolm Adeyemi

• Shadow Fleet Reserves
  • Champion Member
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #13 on: September 30, 2016, 03:20:15 pm »
[Lounge]

As the officers and civilians trickled in to the lounge, Stafford smiled at Ash. The young lady had been a friend, someone to remind him that at the end of the day he wasn't just a walking, talking uniform. He was going to miss their chats and her food.

"Grab a drink, Ash." Stafford said in his gentle way. "Stay a while. I think I am going to have a refill, myself. But no food. The doctor said nothing too heavy for the time being. That's worse news than my leg."

"Torngate," The commander said, turning to the other Starfleet officer. "What happened with the Tucson after I was injured? I've read the report, of course, but I'd like your take on it."

Offline Dylan Torngate

• DAMMIT DYLAN
  • Site Administrators
  • Honoured Member
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #14 on: September 30, 2016, 03:35:32 pm »
[Lounge]

As the officers and civilians trickled in to the lounge, Stafford smiled at Ash. The young lady had been a friend, someone to remind him that at the end of the day he wasn't just a walking, talking uniform. He was going to miss their chats and her food.

"Grab a drink, Ash." Stafford said in his gentle way. "Stay a while. I think I am going to have a refill, myself. But no food. The doctor said nothing too heavy for the time being. That's worse news than my leg."

"Torngate," The commander said, turning to the other Starfleet officer. "What happened with the Tucson after I was injured? I've read the report, of course, but I'd like your take on it."

[Lounge]

Dylan sighed. This was not a conversation he wanted to have, but he answered anyways. "The Tuscon attempted to overtake the ship, but were detained. From what I hear, someone was rather creative with use of cookware... a pot was it?" he asked, directing the question to Ash. "Anyways, I beamed back over after somehow convincing the captain, and was able to decrypt their computer. Unfortunately, I tripped a silent trap that caused a warp core overload in the Tuscon, so I had to eject the core. Both ships survived, and we took the Tuscon under tow to the nearest starbase." he said, then broke down into the specifics, how the encryption was made, what had been done with the data, and even down to the Tuscon's command team's fate. A minute or so later he had finished and looked at the XO, wondering what he would say.
Shadow Fleet

RPG-D Sci-Fi Avatars RPG Initiative RPGfix RPG Initiative Fodlan Chronicles