Welcome to the USS Tempest: Meet and Greet

Started by Julia Rellek, August 05, 2016, 10:29:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Persephone M'Rai

Quote from: Klizh on August 07, 2016, 08:56:13 AM

It didn't take long before someone else's attention was upon him. K'lizh could smell the female before she spoke, and spun around to face her. Living amongst other species had forced him to reign in some of the etiquette that humans and Vulcans considered rude and would sent one quickly into a duel with an Andorian (but perversely delighted Tellarites), but upon seeing another of his kind, old habits kicked in. It was customary for Caitians to challenge each other upon first meeting; size one another up to establish pecking order. And since he and this woman had the same amount of gold pips, they couldn't use that to put off confrontation.

"I am K'lizh," he said, his voice smooth and controlled despite the malice of his next words. He slipped into his native tongue in the hopes of sparing himself an awkward explanation with the Captain who was still standing behind him. "What kind of name is 'Persephone'? Did a human give you that name? Do you allow these humans to treat you as one of their 'cats'?"

In the same manner as the other Caitian, Persephone rose to the challenge presented by K'lizh, her fur fluffing up slightly in a subconscious effort to make herself appear bigger.  As she smiled, she didn't bother to hide her teeth as she had the habit of doing around other humanoids so as not to make them uncomfortable.  Star Fleet had certainly been a lesson in adaptation to living with other cultures.

Joining in with his switch to the Caitian tongue, she replied:  "I chose it to stop the humans butchering my name with their uncultured tongues.  You may address me as S'Rall, unless your mind can't handle the confusion." She flicked her ears back, the tip of her tail twitching.  The confrontation of meeting was always a tense moment as they tried to work out the hierarchy, but it was a biological imperative.

Klizh

Mess Hall

Quote from: Persephone M'Rai on August 08, 2016, 12:37:58 AM

In the same manner as the other Caitian, Persephone rose to the challenge presented by K'lizh, her fur fluffing up slightly in a subconscious effort to make herself appear bigger.  As she smiled, she didn't bother to hide her teeth as she had the habit of doing around other humanoids so as not to make them uncomfortable.  Star Fleet had certainly been a lesson in adaptation to living with other cultures.

Joining in with his switch to the Caitian tongue, she replied:  "I chose it to stop the humans butchering my name with their uncultured tongues.  You may address me as S'Rall, unless your mind can't handle the confusion." She flicked her ears back, the tip of her tail twitching.  The confrontation of meeting was always a tense moment as they tried to work out the hierarchy, but it was a biological imperative.

K'lizh's lips parted, revealing the razor-sharp tips of his fangs. During his first days on Earth, the friendly grins of humans had unnerved him. But first days at the Academy were awkward for most youths, having to learn and be understanding towards culture clashes. K'lizh knew he had inadvertently offended a few as well. Starfleet officers had to be open and accepting.

"Oh, I can certainly handle it, xenolinguistics were my specialty. I notice you can barely wrap your own teeth around English Standard." K'lizh found himself enjoying this. He had forgotten how... invigorating it could be to meet someone new. He folded his hands behind his back, a polite gesture to humans that was mildly insulting to a Caitian, signifying he didn't consider the other a threat.

"Here is the blackness of space, the myriad stars gleaming like diamond dust or, as some people would say, like great balls of exploding hydrogen a very long way off. But then, some people would say anything." - Terry Pratchett

Julia Rellek

Quote from: James Hawk on August 07, 2016, 01:40:40 PM

"Thank you, I appreciate it," James said while still smiling slightly, "I'll have to pay you a visit some time," he paused, "Well I will if I ever manage to get these damned phasers working," he grinned. "And speaking of comfy chairs, how come you get a comfy chair with your promotion but I don't even get a cheap plastic chair? All I get is a rail and a few buttons?" James joked about the standard Galaxy Class tactical station. He stopped speaking before he made to much of a fool out of himself by ranting about a chair, or rather the lack thereof.

Julia overheard bits and pieces of the conversation and decided to take a moment to jump in. "I don't know what these designers were thinking. I guess they wanted to keep the security department on their feet." She chuckled while taking a sip of her coffee. It was a bad joke and she was aware of it. This meeting was an opportunity to learn more about the team and get to know them on a more personal level. 

"Somewhere, something incredible is waiting to be known." - Carl Sagan

Persephone M'Rai

Quote from: Klizh on August 08, 2016, 01:01:27 AM

Mess Hall
K'lizh's lips parted, revealing the razor-sharp tips of his fangs. During his first days on Earth, the friendly grins of humans had unnerved him. But first days at the Academy were awkward for most youths, having to learn and be understanding towards culture clashes. K'lizh knew he had inadvertently offended a few as well. Starfleet officers had to be open and accepting.

"Oh, I can certainly handle it, xenolinguistics were my specialty. I notice you can barely wrap your own teeth around English Standard." K'lizh found himself enjoying this. He had forgotten how... invigorating it could be to meet someone new. He folded his hands behind his back, a polite gesture to humans that was mildly insulting to a Caitian, signifying he didn't consider the other a threat.

[Mess Hall]

Falling back in to the old habits of their culture, Persephone forced herself to relax a little and let her fur lie flat rather than being fluffed up.  No point in trying to intimidate the other Caitian, that was for sure.  Instead, she lifted one paw, clearly showing that her claws were sheathed, and licked it a few times, inspecting it in between to make sure that the fur was immaculate.  It was a very dismissive gesture, as if she considered her own personal hygiene more important than her conversation with him.

"I get by perfectly well," she replied loftily, looking at him over the back of the paw she was cleaning.  "Xenolinguistics may be your speciality, but humans seem to value appearance over being able to pronounce every single syllable perfectly.  Might I recommend a flea bath?"

Klizh

Quote from: Persephone M'Rai on August 08, 2016, 09:13:20 PM

[Mess Hall]

Falling back in to the old habits of their culture, Persephone forced herself to relax a little and let her fur lie flat rather than being fluffed up.  No point in trying to intimidate the other Caitian, that was for sure.  Instead, she lifted one paw, clearly showing that her claws were sheathed, and licked it a few times, inspecting it in between to make sure that the fur was immaculate.  It was a very dismissive gesture, as if she considered her own personal hygiene more important than her conversation with him.

"I get by perfectly well," she replied loftily, looking at him over the back of the paw she was cleaning.  "Xenolinguistics may be your speciality, but humans seem to value appearance over being able to pronounce every single syllable perfectly.  Might I recommend a flea bath?"

"A flea bath?" K'lizh said, bemused. He had her now, resorting to baseless accusations. He was the son of a clan matriarch, raised to hold himself to a higher standard if he ever was to attract a mate and rise to patriarch, and not so easily flustered. He had showered before boarding and his facial trim was immaculate. "Is your sense of smell so dull that you cannot smell the shampoo in my fur? What good are you as a huntress with a nose so flat?" His voice grew throatier, more challenging.

If they weren't surrounded by humans, they most likely would have gotten into a ritual scrap by now. They probably could have gotten away with it surrounded by Klingons or Andorians, but not humans. They could be so obtuse about these things. How did they ever manage to make friends without sizing one another up first?

"Here is the blackness of space, the myriad stars gleaming like diamond dust or, as some people would say, like great balls of exploding hydrogen a very long way off. But then, some people would say anything." - Terry Pratchett

Persephone M'Rai

Quote from: Klizh on August 09, 2016, 01:08:07 AM

"A flea bath?" K'lizh said, bemused. He had her now, resorting to baseless accusations. He was the son of a clan matriarch, raised to hold himself to a higher standard if he ever was to attract a mate and rise to patriarch, and not so easily flustered. He had showered before boarding and his facial trim was immaculate. "Is your sense of smell so dull that you cannot smell the shampoo in my fur? What good are you as a huntress with a nose so flat?" His voice grew throatier, more challenging.

If they weren't surrounded by humans, they most likely would have gotten into a ritual scrap by now. They probably could have gotten away with it surrounded by Klingons or Andorians, but not humans. They could be so obtuse about these things. How did they ever manage to make friends without sizing one another up first?

"Oh, I can smell you, and that's the problem," Persephone remarked, shrugging one shoulder dismissively.  "And I happen to have hunted with the great cats of Earth.  If you require a demonstration of my prowess in that field, a demonstration can be arranged."  By this point, the tip of her tail was twitching and, if they continued to wind each other up like this, it was likely that they would start to posture and that would probably lead to a fight.  A fun one, nothing more serious than a few scratches, but a fight nonetheless.  She almost looked forward to it.  Being away from her siblings left quite a hole where sparring partners were concerned.

Klizh

Quote from: Persephone M'Rai on August 09, 2016, 11:52:10 PM

"Oh, I can smell you, and that's the problem," Persephone remarked, shrugging one shoulder dismissively.  "And I happen to have hunted with the great cats of Earth.  If you require a demonstration of my prowess in that field, a demonstration can be arranged."  By this point, the tip of her tail was twitching and, if they continued to wind each other up like this, it was likely that they would start to posture and that would probably lead to a fight.  A fun one, nothing more serious than a few scratches, but a fight nonetheless.  She almost looked forward to it.  Being away from her siblings left quite a hole where sparring partners were concerned.

K'lizh knew they would have to end this soon before it got violent, but he wouldn't be the one to back down. "Name the time and I'll meet you in the holodeck once their operational," he said with a grin. He was impressed by S'Rall, she didn't back down easily. But neither would he. Perhaps this...game... would be drawn out for a while.

Persephone M'Rai

Quote from: Klizh on August 10, 2016, 04:38:54 AM

K'lizh knew they would have to end this soon before it got violent, but he wouldn't be the one to back down. "Name the time and I'll meet you in the holodeck once their operational," he said with a grin. He was impressed by S'Rall, she didn't back down easily. But neither would he. Perhaps this...game... would be drawn out for a while.

With an answering grin, not bothering to try to hide the sharpness of her teeth as she would do with other humanoids, Persephone already started to plan out a new hunting session for the holodeck.  It was nothing like being out in the wilderness as she loved to be, but it was the only way she could even get close to such thing.  On the other hand, it was refreshing to be back around a Caitian again.  Humanoids could be so touchy and easily offended sometimes.

"I'll let you know next time I run one of my relaxation hunts," she replied.  "Wouldn't want to overwhelm you for your first time."

🡱 🡳

RPG-D Sci-Fi Avatars RPG Initiative RPGfix RPG Initiative Fodlan Chronicles

Star Trek and all related marks, logos and characters are solely owned by CBS Studios Inc. This fan production is not endorsed by, sponsored by, nor affiliated with CBS, Paramount Pictures, or any other Star Trek franchise, and is a non-commercial fan-made production intended for recreational use. No commercial exhibition or distribution is permitted. No alleged independent rights will be asserted against CBS or Paramount Pictures.