Black Night, Gold Pips (Luke, Ruth, Leonard)

Started by Constance Lafayette, July 25, 2016, 08:25:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Constance Lafayette

((Note: This mission takes place an undetermined amount of time after the current mission "High Times on Epsilon Indi" but before the upcoming one.))

Constance was burning the midnight oil, like she always did. She was sifting though reports, schematics, and updates from command. Constance, in the past, used to use stims to stay awake and thought about ordering one. She pushed the thought aside and pushed the hair back away from her forehead. It'd been a long day... maybe a long month? It was long and Constance was still getting over the stress from the mission. She needed to "recharge" with some privacy from time to time and she was one of the few people in existence who liked paperwork. However, her bliss had to end sometime:

=/\= "Commander Stafford. Sorry to wake you, if you could come to my ready room when you are available I'd appreciate it. I'd like to address the outstanding promotions we discussed. I received permission for advancement from command a few hours ago." =/\=

Rear Admiral Constance Lafayette
Commanding Officer, USS Athena
Academy Command Officer Instructor

Malcolm Adeyemi

Quote from: Constance Lafayette on July 25, 2016, 08:25:24 PM

=/\= "Commander Stafford. Sorry to wake you, if you could come to my ready room when you are available I'd appreciate it. I'd like to address the outstanding promotions we discussed. I received permission for advancement from command a few hours ago." =/\=

[Quarters - 0213 hours]

A hoary old engineer that Stafford had known from his earliest days had warned him about going officer. As the old petty officer and the new crewman shared a drink of a homemade, noxious clear spirit that the former had brewed inside of an old torpedo tube, he heard the other man say, Never go officer, you'll have to actually answer to one.

The saying was in Stafford's mind as he rolled over, tapped his commbadge, and croaked out a barely intelligible acknowledgement to his captain. "=/\='m coming, captain. Straightaway, ma'am.=/\="

He found himself needing another strong drink as he slowly stood and found his uniform. His quarters were squared away to the umpteenth degree, another vestige of his enlisted days. How many times had Recruit and even Petty Officer Stafford been chided for having quarters not up to standard operating procedure?

He dressed quickly, inspected himself in the mirror. His eyes were still puffy from sleep, and a day's worth of stubble flecked his head and the parts of his narrow face not covered by his goatee. Stafford thought it would pass, but then decided better of it. Whatever the captain needed him for, it wasn't so urgent to go rushing headlong to her, so he could shave.

[Passageways]

The night shift was sparse. Probably they didn't like the idea of running into the captain, who would often work late into the night. Constance Lafayette was an intellectual, a woman dedicated to science. Stafford was an old sawbones who needed his sleep. Eggheads. Never think twice about inconveniencing anyone else. The thought made him smile.

[Bridge]

When he entered the straight arrow ensign who was commanding the night watch on the bridge turned and started to stand. Stafford raised his voice to cut him off.

"At ease," His voice hadn't been used in hours and squeaked a little. He cleared his throat. "Just here to see the captain. Carry on, ensign, I'll check in when I'm through."

The bridge crew resumed activity. Stafford felt his joints creak ominously as he made his way over to the captain's ready room door. He didn't like surprises.

He pressed the thumb pad and entered when she acknowledged him, preparing himself for the worst.

Constance Lafayette

[Ready Room]

Constance looked about as tired as he did, maybe more. She still managed that immaculate "I'm way too concerned about protocol to let a hair be out of line" look, but it was obvious that she was at the limits of even her ability to conceal the chinks in her armor,

"Again, sorry for the late call Luke. Help yourself to a drink if you want." She said more casually than she normally did, though her tone was still somewhat flat. She didn't drink but there was a scotch decanter in the back corner of her small little ready room for when she occasionally entertained.

"I know you were pushing for some promotions and I agreed. I had to pass it by command first but I've got the reports in." She said, passing him a PAAD with the promotion data.

"I didn't want to delay until the next mission- while we have some time I'd like to give the crew the respect they deserve for these."

She produced three small, black, pip boxes and placed them on the desk. Maybe she was relaxing on this ship. Maybe not. Either way she felt she could "let her hair down" a bit more than she did on the bridge right now.

"We have Mr. Scott's academy scores. Exemplary, as expected." She said, summarizing what was on the PADD,

"Mr. Hawk will be moved to Lieutenant, Junior Grade, for his service and skill. I know I don't need to explain that move any further."

She paused before continuing.

"The request for Ms. Siguardsdottir's promotion to Lieutenant Commander has been approved. I don't like pulling strings, even for people I like, but I was willing to do it for her. However, it didn't seem I had to- her actions in our report logs spoke for themselves. I've recommended her for command officer training in the future. We will have to speak to her about it."

The Captain ended on this, letting the statement hang in the air to gauge Luke's reaction.

Malcolm Adeyemi

Stafford silently thanked God when the captain offered him a drink. Her mood was decidedly more casual than usual. Deciding to take advantage of it, Stafford picked up the decanter and a nearby crystal glass and poured himself a hefty dose of scotch. He lifted it to his nose before he sipped.

The scent was dark, smoky. His mind was filled with images of grainy oak, remains of a campfire that had been doused with fresh spring water, and peat. He felt his eyes close reflexively. He took the tiniest sip. Stafford's head lulled back as if he'd been pleasantly punched.

When the moment was over, Stafford cast a contemplative eye at the captain. She didn't seem like the type to have a good scotch. The fact that he enjoyed the stuff so much was remarkable. He was usually more of an Irish whiskey man. What else was the captain hiding beneath her constantly professional demeanor?

"Hawk. Scott. And the Viking." Stafford chuckled, sipped his drink, and resisted the urge to let loose a satisfying grunt. He wouldn't ordinarily use a nickname with a crewmember or fellow officer, but he happened to know that the scientist liked it. "Scott showed a lot of professionalism and punch with the last mission. And it would not have succeeded if not for Sigurdsdottir. Hawk? He was on point too."

He thought a bit more and presumed to take a seat before her. "I remember in the old days, when I was coming up. And probably you, too. A promotion ceremony would not have been this informal, or pleasant. When I made to Lieutenant Junior Grade my fellow learned doctors and medical staff blindfolded me and left me in a Jeffries tube full of shaving cream for hours. I had to find my pips without a spot on my uniform or I couldn't have them."

He smiled at the memory. Of course, no one came out of that one completely clean. After he'd finally found the tiny things they'd let him out, covered with white foam, and all hugged and traded playful punches.

"Ah, but those were the good old days, weren't they?" Stafford asked rhetorically. His drink was almost gone. He killed it, licked his lips, and placed the glass back on the replicator for quick disposal.

"I'm in full agreement, captain. By all means, let's send for the lucky three." He knew Lafayette fairly well, for as much as she let herself be known. She was always planning something, and her sense of humor was absolutely brutal.

They might not be ruining uniforms tonight, but the three soon to be promoted crew were in for a prank, he was sure.

Constance Lafayette

[Ready Room]

"I recall Commander." She said, leaning back a bit in her chair.

"I may be widely regarded as a stick in the mud but there have been a few promotion incidents I recall. One involved a burrito and let's just leave it at that." She said, actually chuckling to herself for once.

"I'm glad you brought that up Commander. Just try to keep up."

She cleared her voice and straightened up,

=/\= "Lafayette to Cadet Scott. Please report to the shuttle bay and prepare a shuttle. Please deploy 5 km aft of us and standby for further orders." =/\=

If her words had been winds they would have been hurricanes- harsh and intimidating.

Leonard T. Scott

[Crew Quarters]

Leonard had just fallen asleep when the hailing sound came from his comm board:

Quote from: Constance Lafayette on July 25, 2016, 11:10:08 PM

=/\= "Lafayette to Cadet Scott. Please report to the shuttle bay and prepare a shuttle. Please deploy 5 km aft of us and standby for further orders." =/\=

=/\= "Aye, ma'am," Scott responded groggily, "I'll be down there in a few. Scott out." =/\=

"What the bloody hell is going on," he thought to himself. "Why would the captain possibly need me to do this at this ungodly hour?"

Still, he got ready and proceeded as directed.

[Passage Ways]

It was strange not seeing the usual hustle and bustle about the ship, but it did make the trip faster.

[Shuttlebay]

Upon arriving in the shuttlebay, Scott did all the necessary steps to prep the shuttle and departed to the specified location. He tapped the comm button:

=/\= "Scott to Captain Lafayette. I'm currently 5 KM to the aft of the Athena awaiting orders." =/\=

Athena Second Officer. Feel free to message me if have any issues that need addressing.
Flight Control Instructor
"Keyboard. How quaint." - Captain Montgomery Scott

Constance Lafayette

[Ready Room]

When the Cadet's call came in to report his position she smiled and pressed a button on her desk to open a hail to the Ensign on the bridge.

=/\= "Helm, this is the Captain. Full impulse on current heading on my mark for 2 minutes." =/\=

She said very casually, looking into Luke's eyes as if she was completing some kind of dare,

=/\= "And have the transporter room send down package Lafayette A413 to Ensign Scott's shuttle craft before we do so." =/\=

Her face was completely passive, though Luke could tell it took every effort she had to keep from laughing.

"Pour a girl a drink Commander?" She asked slyly.

[Shuttle]

Moments after reporting his position two small items materialized from the Athena in the small single person transporter on the shuttle.

One was a PADD with Leonard's academy scores and graduation letter. The other was a small black box, one formerly on Constance's ready room desk, with the single gold pip of an ensign of Starfleet.

A few seconds after the two objects were transported over, the Athena suddenly jumped to full impulse, stranding the (now) ensign in the blackness of space... alone.

Leonard T. Scott

Quote from: Constance Lafayette on July 25, 2016, 11:42:24 PM

[Ready Room]

When the Cadet's call came in to report his position she smiled and pressed a button on her desk to open a hail to the Ensign on the bridge.

=/\= "Helm, this is the Captain. Full impulse on current heading on my mark for 2 minutes." =/\=

She said very casually, looking into Luke's eyes as if she was completing some kind of dare,

=/\= "And have the transporter room send down package Lafayette A413 to Ensign Scott's shuttle craft before we do so." =/\=

Her face was completely passive, though Luke could tell it took every effort she had to keep from laughing.

"Pour a girl a drink Commander?" She asked slyly.

[Shuttle]

Moments after reporting his position two small items materialized from the Athena in the small single person transporter on the shuttle.

One was a PADD with Leonard's academy scores and graduation letter. The other was a small black box, one formerly on Constance's ready room desk, with the single gold pip of an ensign of Starfleet.

A few seconds after the two objects were transported over, the Athena suddenly jumped to full impulse, stranding the (now) ensign in the blackness of space... alone.

[Shuttle]

Moments after he signaled, he heard the familiar hum of the transporter. He turned his head and saw the PADD and pip box.

The young Scot read over the pad. He had made Ensign. He opened the box and removed the pip. He took his cadet pips off and replaced them with it and let out a sigh of relief. Though his joy quickly turned to a slight panic as caught the Athena moving away out of the corner of his eye.

He grabbed the PADD and now empty box and quickly made his way to the pilot seat and increased the speed to try and catch up. He attempted to hail the Athena.

=/\=Ensign Scott to Athena.=/\= "Damn, that sounded good," he thought to himself. =/\= I seem to be left to drift out here. Please reduce speed so I can rendezvous and return to the ship.=/\=

He was confident it was just an honest mistake. One of those the left hand not knowing what the right was doing sort of things.

Athena Second Officer. Feel free to message me if have any issues that need addressing.

Malcolm Adeyemi

[Ready Room]

Stafford chuckled at the captain's performance. He didn't trust his low tolerance to have another drink. But he poured Lafayette two fingers of scotch in a clean glass.

"Let's go to warp." He suggested, only barely able to keep is mirth contained. "No...I have a better idea."

"=/\=Computer. Raise the volume of commbadge communications to maximum.=/\=" He caught the captain's confused look. "It's almost 0300 hours, captain. Got to make sure we wake 'em up. Drink up."

""=/\=LIEUTENANT SIGGURDSDOTTIR! REPORT TO HOLODECK ONE IMMEDIATELY!=/\="

Ruth Sigurdsdottir

Quote from: Luke Stafford on July 26, 2016, 01:17:59 AM

[Ready Room]

Stafford chuckled at the captain's performance. He didn't trust his low tolerance to have another drink. But he poured Lafayette two fingers of scotch in a clean glass.

"Let's go to warp." He suggested, only barely able to keep is mirth contained. "No...I have a better idea."

"=/\=Computer. Raise the volume of commbadge communications to maximum.=/\=" He caught the captain's confused look. "It's almost 0300 hours, captain. Got to make sure we wake 'em up. Drink up."

""=/\=LIEUTENANT SIGGURDSDOTTIR! REPORT TO HOLODECK ONE IMMEDIATELY!=/\="

Quarters

"What the fu....!" Ruth woke like a shot as she heard Mr. Stafford's voice it seemed, right in her ear.  Slightly disorientated she got her bearings, slipped out from Will's embrace... he'd fallen asleep watching a movie and it was no big deal for him to lay there, he was still blissfully asleep.

Realising that it was the commbadge that was on the nightstand, and had indeed been very close to her ear she looked at the chronometer, 0300hrs.  'What the heck?!' she thought to herself but wasn't the one to question her superior officers.

Tapping the commbadge she said =/\=Sigurdsdottir to Stafford, I'll be there in about 5 mins. I don't think a teddybear nightshirt is suitable attire so I shall amend that forthwith.  Sigurdsdottir out. =/\=

She quickly ran in, and out of the shower, shoved a fresh uniform on and stamped her feet into her boots.  She replicated a cup of what, even for her, was about double strength coffee which she drank almost scalding her throat while she ran a brush through her auburn locks.

Bending to kiss Will on the forehead she quickly scribbled him a note and left it on the nightstand so he wouldn't worry where she was.

Taking the last of the coffee with her she ran to the turbolift and took it to Deck 5 where the Holodecks were situated.

P-Way Outside Holodeck 1

Ruth pressed the entry button as Commander Stafford had said to report to the Holodeck itself not the corridor outside, and stepped in when the doors opened.

"If I were human I believe my response would be "go to hell." If I were human."

Malcolm Adeyemi

Quote from: Ruth Sigurdsdottir on July 26, 2016, 12:32:01 PM

P-Way Outside Holodeck 1

Ruth pressed the entry button as Commander Stafford had said to report to the Holodeck itself not the corridor outside, and stepped in when the doors opened.

[Holodeck 1]

[The Sea]

The rain lashed against the deck and sails, and a forked tail of purple lightning whipped across the dark sky. The wood of the old Viking longship slick and dangerous, creaking underfoot.

An immense man, clad in overlapping layers of ringmail, cloth, and leather, stepped up to the intruding woman. A gloved hand was on the hilt of his sword.

"Fen stigi?!" The man demanded angrily, his voice raised high enough to be heard over the waves.

Ruth Sigurdsdottir

Quote from: Luke Stafford on July 26, 2016, 01:30:30 PM

[Holodeck 1]

[The Sea]

The rain lashed against the deck and sails, and a forked tail of purple lightning whipped across the dark sky. The wood of the old Viking longship slick and dangerous, creaking underfoot.

An immense man, clad in overlapping layers of ringmail, cloth, and leather, stepped up to the intruding woman. A gloved hand was on the hilt of his sword.

"Fen stigi?!" The man demanded angrily, his voice raised high enough to be heard over the waves.

Holodeck 1 - The Sea

Ruth's ears quickly adapting to the Old Norse she gave a bemused smile and said "Stiarna-stigi, betr!" smiling at the warrior who reminded her rather of her father.  And she was being truthful, she was more of a star traveller than a fens traveller!

She had no idea why she had been called here, it must be some kind of test but she wasn't sure why or for what purpose.

"Hefur Áƒ¾Áƒº Áƒ¶xi ég get lÁƒ¡naÁƒ°?!" she asked easily slipping into the Icelandic tongue that was that of her birth. "Áƒ"°g var kallaÁƒ°ur fljÁƒ³tt og skjÁƒ¶ldur mÁƒ¦r Freya Áƒ¾arf aÁƒ° vera fÁƒ¦r um aÁƒ° verja sig!"  She really did wish that she had her axes with her, but asking to borrow one, and mentioning Freya would surely let the man know that she was one of them.

"Veistu tilgang sem ég var kallaÁƒ° hér, Viking?" Ruth asked, hoping that he would be able to answer her questions.

(OOC: The Norse reads : 1. Startraveller is better.  2. Do you have an axe I can borrow? 3. I was called quickly and a shieldmaiden of Freya needs to defend herself. 4. Do you know the reason I was called here, Warrior?! )

"If I were human I believe my response would be "go to hell." If I were human."

Constance Lafayette

[Ready Room]

Constance laughed quietly, still polite but clearly enjoying herself a bit.

She opened the comm channel to the bridge again: "Ok helm. We've hazed him enough. Circle back and pick him up... but take the long way around. Stay out of sensor range. No reason to let him off easy."

She chuckled quietly while sipping at the drink Luke had poured for him as she listened to Ruth's initiation. It would be a good 10-15 min before the ship looped around. Let him sweat a little bit.

Constance could hear Ruth's replied and she almost snorted, covering her mouth, when the chief science officer described her attire.

She tapped in on the holodeck to watch the series of events unfold.

"Quite fitting Commander."

Leonard T. Scott

Quote from: Constance Lafayette on July 26, 2016, 10:33:39 PM

[Ready Room]

Constance laughed quietly, still polite but clearly enjoying herself a bit.

She opened the comm channel to the bridge again: "Ok helm. We've hazed him enough. Circle back and pick him up... but take the long way around. Stay out of sensor range. No reason to let him off easy."

She chuckled quietly while sipping at the drink Luke had poured for him as she listened to Ruth's initiation. It would be a good 10-15 min before the ship looped around. Let him sweat a little bit.

Constance could hear Ruth's replied and she almost snorted, covering her mouth, when the chief science officer described her attire.

She tapped in on the holodeck to watch the series of events unfold.

"Quite fitting Commander."

Leonard was beginning to get a little worried as his hail went unanswered. He decided to sing to himself.

The roses all have left your cheeks. I've watched them fade away and die.

Sure, it was an ancient Irish ballad, but it did feel nice to sing the song. It was a nice way to pass the time.

Shortly after, he saw the Athena turn about. "It would seem the captain is having a bit of fun at my expense," he thought to himself with a chuckle.

=/\=Scott to Athena. Well, if guys want, you can take your time. I mean it's not like we're under attack or anything,=/\= he said with a laugh. =/\=Oh, and Captain, curse your sudden, but inevitable betrayal. Scott out.=/\=

He figured a joking shot back was in order.

Malcolm Adeyemi

Quote from: Ruth Sigurdsdottir on July 26, 2016, 01:44:36 PM

Holodeck 1 - The Sea

Ruth's ears quickly adapting to the Old Norse she gave a bemused smile and said "Stiarna-stigi, betr!" smiling at the warrior who reminded her rather of her father.  And she was being truthful, she was more of a star traveller than a fens traveller!

She had no idea why she had been called here, it must be some kind of test but she wasn't sure why or for what purpose.

"Hefur Áƒ¾Áƒº Áƒ¶xi ég get lÁƒ¡naÁƒ°?!" she asked easily slipping into the Icelandic tongue that was that of her birth. "Áƒ"°g var kallaÁƒ°ur fljÁƒ³tt og skjÁƒ¶ldur mÁƒ¦r Freya Áƒ¾arf aÁƒ° vera fÁƒ¦r um aÁƒ° verja sig!"  She really did wish that she had her axes with her, but asking to borrow one, and mentioning Freya would surely let the man know that she was one of them.

"Veistu tilgang sem ég var kallaÁƒ° hér, Viking?" Ruth asked, hoping that he would be able to answer her questions.

[Viking Ship]

"Taktu ekki Áƒ¶xi, Áƒ¾Áƒº ert aÁƒ° Áƒ¾urfa aÁƒ° klifra." The big captain said, and pointed up.

Suspended from the mast of the longship was a tiny leather bag suspended by a rope. It was lashed at by the rain and wind.

The crew began urging her towards the mast, all of them exchanging rough jokes and laughs.

🡱 🡳

RPG-D Sci-Fi Avatars RPG Initiative RPGfix RPG Initiative Fodlan Chronicles

Star Trek and all related marks, logos and characters are solely owned by CBS Studios Inc. This fan production is not endorsed by, sponsored by, nor affiliated with CBS, Paramount Pictures, or any other Star Trek franchise, and is a non-commercial fan-made production intended for recreational use. No commercial exhibition or distribution is permitted. No alleged independent rights will be asserted against CBS or Paramount Pictures.