Thomas van der Zee - reporting in (03/07/2016)

Started by Thomas van der Zee, July 03, 2016, 08:11:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Thomas van der Zee

Character Details

Character Name: Thomas van der Zee
Character Age:  30
Character DOB: 24th Jan 2964
Character Image:

I hope this hasn't been taken?
Character Species: Human
Character Family: Father Á¢â,¬"œ Capt. Rik Jansen, Starfleet
Mother Á¢â,¬"œ Sophie van der Zee

Character Bio:
Thomas van der Zee was born to human parents aboard Starbase K-19, a Starfleet navigator Commander Rik Jansen Á¢â,¬"œ then serving as the navigator-cum-first officer of the USS Yorktown - and Sophie van der Zee, a nursing officer serving on deep space station Starbase K-19. The Yorktown had suffered from severe warp core damage following a violent dilithium decrystallisation. She had put in for repair and resupply. As such with the extensiveness of the damage, the ship was in drydock for over three months. Many of her crew had mingled with the residents of the Starbase Á¢â,¬"œ and where the injured Commander Jansen had met the mother of his future child. Upon learning of Thomas' conception, Jansen requested leave from his captain, allowing him to stay for the birth.

Thomas' father would return to the Yorktown a year after the birth, and was able to return every few months whenever he had leave, not wanting to leave his ship. His two parents never married, and his mother did have other relationships. Sophie, who had maintained her career as a nurse while aboard Starbase K-19, devoted herself to creating a secure family unit, eventually settling in 2372 on Federal colony Alpha Proxima II.

While Jansen was not a constant member of the family, he was around often enough to provide the boy, and eventually young man, with a father-figure and someone to aspire to. Thomas was present at the Yorktown launch ceremony, following a retfit, and saw his father named as her captain. This gave the young man something to strive for, and something of an idol to follow. Thomas found himself in and out of school, graduating from a Proximan college with advanced diplomas in politics, history, mathematics and interdisciplinary science. He would travel to Earth in 2382 to continue his studies at a university level Á¢â,¬"œ concentrating on stellar cartography and history. He would study at the Department of Astrohumanities at the Midlands University Complex in Old Britain, graduating 4 years later with a Master's degree. He then spent some time as a civilian pilot, with few career aspirations.

Although the death of his father Á¢â,¬"œ in the final year of the Yorktown's third five-year mission made him uncomfortable with the prospect of joining Starfleet Á¢â,¬"œ and had his mother petition him against it Á¢â,¬"œ his dreams of becoming an adventurer were not so easily disrupted. Captain Jansen's funeral put him in contact with his father's workmates, colleagues and close friends, who encouraged Thomas on, and put him in contact with Starfleet recruiting. Thomas van der Zee enrolled in the academy in San Francisco in August of 2394.

Thomas is of near-average height, standing at 6' tall. He is lightly muscled, but not obviously so. His shoulders are broad, but often slouched, and he comes across as a relaxed individual. He took to Earth living well, remaining healthy and getting some sun on his pale, Starbase skin. He has a series of scars on his left fore-arm from a shuttlecraft accident, and a small nautical star tattooed on his right. Insofar as it were possible to be on today's Earth, Thomas was something of an outdoorsman, joining sports and trekking societies during his time at University. He has a mop of dark, coppery hair originally cropped in a practical, almost military style, but that has been left to grow for a little long. When the hair isn't in a wavy quiff it'll be brushed over to one side with a more prominent side parting. While usually clean shaven, he sometimes allows himself to grow some short facial hair.

He's the kind of man who knows how to have a joke, or make the odd clever remark, but shares them rarely - intelligent though he is, he prefers to make is own fun, usually in a quite boisterous, active manner. When he's annoyed he can be quite obtuse and arrogant, but he will submit to authority. A major formative moment was the death of his father, as he found out weeks after the event. For months after he became reserved, but ultimately led to his desire to join Starfleet. He did so mainly in reaction to advice from his mother not to do so. He sometimes worries for her opinions of his career choice, but he has an over-riding desire for adventure and exploration. Thomas believes he has made the right career choice, and usually has a smile on his face. He does not believe he is officer material, but he is a good pilot - in the reliable, patent way, rather than the inventive and risky.

Your Details

Previous Role-Playing Experience: Some 'Trek RPs or other, Avatar, Alien Universe and other Sci-Fi forum RPs. Moderator of a now-defunct Wh40 / Fantasy Battle RP site.
Department Preference: Flight Control / related
Secondary Department Preference: Medical?
Commissioned, Enlisted or Civilian: Enlisted

Sample post:

Starfleet Academy, SF

Thomas van der Zee's new boots squeaked slightly as he half-ran up the wide marble stairs which lead to the sub-campus' reception. His uniform was crisp, creased, new Á¢â,¬"œ and it felt good to wear. Until very recently, he'd been used to canvas shorts and a falling-apart pair of deck shoes Á¢â,¬"œ most of his clothes had served him at least since university, and were in varying states of dilapidation. He'd thought they'd acquired character, his friends thought they deserved recycling years ago. At 30, he was among the older boots. Wearing the same outfit as the teenagers made him feel almost like a scoutmaster  - but he was as far down the pile as any of them were.

The stand collar of the odd cadet's uniform was open, and the Starfleet insignia pinned to it shone brightly. Though he'd never admit to the fact, he'd spent a lot of time going over the thing last night. He'd even polished the badge. This was a proud moment for him Á¢â,¬"œ his future, an actual career Á¢â,¬"œ it was beginning.

And he was running late.

He was supposed to be here for 9000 sharp, for an induction and allotment of various dormitory rooms, equipment, registration. A whole lot of bureaucracy, which would no doubt turn out to be important at some point. Thomas watched the double doors ahead of him open, and a tall, slender figure strode out, lodging herself by a tall pillar. As he got closer, he recognised the high cheekbones and delicate nose of a Deltan. The alien removed her cap and brought out a silver packet from her uniform, and lit a cigarette. A real one. In the shade of her little nook, the orange glow reflected on her tall, bald forehead. Thomas didn't know much about the Deltans, but he knew they were a pretty perfect...stuck up species. They took vows, and he was pretty sure all vices were prohibited. He hadn't expected that.

"What are you staring at?" The Deltan called out to him.
"Nothing." He hadn't realised he was staring at the woman, nor had he meant to. It didn't work.
"Come over here."
"Okay."

The cadet mounted a few more stairs, walking up to the little cranny the woman had tucked herself into. She gave him something of a condescending smirk. She gripped the cigarette in long, pale fingers, and was burning through it furiously. Thomas had always considered the Deltans a delicate race. This cadet seemed anything but.

"Who are you?"
"Thomas. Thomas van der Zee."
"Do you smoke?"
"No."

The woman responded by blowing a monumental lungful of smoke into Thomas' face. He tensed his jaw so not to cough, managing to curl the side of his mouth into a smile. He let his eyes meet hers, and she seemed to warm a little too him, raising an eyebrow. She extended her free hand.
"And I am Ilo."

Her hand was cold to the touch.

"Charmed."
"Ha. You're late, cadet."
"Tell me about it."
"I am telling you."

She tilted her head on one side, regarding the young man curiously, "Hmm. Looks like you'd best come with me then."
"I'd best?"
"Yes. It's my second year here, and I've just been showing the rest of you bleu's around the dormitories." Another blast of smoke hit Thomas. "The ones who actually managed to turn up on time, at least."
"Would it help if I told you it wasn't my fault?"
"Help me? Ha. You think you're in trouble?. How sweet."

The Deltan gave what must have been a mockingly innocent smile. Thomas returned the smile, a little nervous, but intrigued by the tall figure in front of him. Ilo stubbed out what was left of her cigarette on the shoulder strap of the cadet's bag, burning the fabric. She took his arm up in hers, dragging him towards the door.

"Come on, chicken. I'll show you round the ranch." Thomas didn't see her raise a thin eyebrow, "I'll pick you out an...interesting roommate, no?"

Additional information:

How did you find Shadow Fleet?

Archangel Koris

I'm afraid that due to the short span of time that has elapsed since the activation of your primary character, Dmitri Brooks, we can't accept another character so quickly.  I'd like to invite you to resubmit your application on or after the 2nd of August 2016, whereupon we will be delighted to offer you an assignment!

Thomas van der Zee

Archangel Koris

Welcome (back) to Shadowfleet!

After reading through your application, I'm delighted to offer you the position of Flight Control crewman on the USS Athena with the starting rank of Crewman recruit.  If this is acceptable, please report in to your new commanding officers, Captain Constance Lafayette and Commander Luke Stafford.

🡱 🡳

RPG-D Sci-Fi Avatars RPG Initiative RPGfix RPG Initiative Fodlan Chronicles

Star Trek and all related marks, logos and characters are solely owned by CBS Studios Inc. This fan production is not endorsed by, sponsored by, nor affiliated with CBS, Paramount Pictures, or any other Star Trek franchise, and is a non-commercial fan-made film intended for recreational use. No commercial exhibition or distribution is permitted. No alleged independent rights will be asserted against CBS or Paramount Pictures.