Author Topic: Fourth SIMM ship class  (Read 22255 times)

Offline Chris Newberry

• Shadow Fleet Owner
  • Approved Applicants
  • Competent Member
  • Shadow Fleet (Founder)
  • Awarded in January and July to the player who writes the most engaging posts. Awarded in January and July by the FCO to crew of the most organized SIMM. Awarded in January 2017 to all active members. Awarded to the player whom the CO feels is worthy of recognition. Awarded to players on completion of 10 years service with the fleet.
    • View Profile
    • Awards
Re: Fourth SIMM ship class
« Reply #60 on: July 21, 2016, 03:02:39 am »
New Command Staff will be..... Nah, I don't know yet. It's still being decided or is it.... I can be evil sometimes but there are a few names being brought up. That's all I will say for now.
Retired FADM Chris Newberry
Enjoying R&R on Kantro Prime
Shadow Fleet Founder (Creator)
Rtd. Fleet Commanding Officer

Offline Julia Rellek

• Approved Applicants
  • Veteran Member
  • "There's coffee in the nebula!" - Janeway
  • Awarded to players on completion of 10 years service with the fleet. Awarded to players who guest star in another SIMM. Biannual Award for players who have created and played alts. Awarded to any player who has been with the Fleet 5 Years
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #61 on: July 21, 2016, 07:07:40 am »
New Command Staff will be..... Nah, I don't know yet. It's still being decided or is it.... I can be evil sometimes but there are a few names being brought up. That's all I will say for now.

Chris....Evil....Never.... hahaha. You like to leave us in suspense. :-P

Heard some great ideas. Throwing my 2 cents in the fountain. Here are my three favorite ideas;

1)Norway Class - One that hasn't been mentioned but I think its a great small ship perfect for the time period we're in.

More info here; http://memory-beta.wikia.com/wiki/Norway_class

2)Nova Class - Only because I love the science missions and I think that there is a lot of fun to be had there.

3)Ambassador(Refit) - Great all around ship.

"Somewhere, something incredible is waiting to be known." - Carl Sagan

Offline James Carter

• Site Administrators
  • Veteran Member
  • Grapefruit.
  • Awarded to any player who has been with the Fleet 5 Years Awarded in January and July by the FCO to crew of the most friendly SIMM. Biannual Award for players who have created and played alts. Awarded to any player who stuck with the site during the June 2017 Site Move
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #62 on: July 21, 2016, 07:37:29 am »
I'd like to recommend a Prometheus Class. It fits our timeline perfectly and man is it a cool ship.

Offline James H. Hawk

• Shadow Fleet Reserves
  • Veteran Member
  • Awarded to any player who has been with the Fleet 2 Years Awarded to Players who have been with the Fleet for one year. Awarded to any player who stuck with the site during the June 2017 Site Move Awarded to players who go above and beyond what is asked of them.
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #63 on: July 21, 2016, 12:23:43 pm »
I'd like to recommend a Prometheus Class. It fits our timeline perfectly and man is it a cool ship.

I would love this. I have always been a fan of the Prometheus Class and the ship I use in Star Trek Online is a variant of it that I really love. I like the Multi-Vector Assault Mode but I understand a lot of people here are not a fan of it and I would accept it with or without MVAM.

Offline Jiseth

• Shadow Fleet Reserves
  • Trusted Member
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #64 on: July 21, 2016, 01:28:04 pm »
Can we at least have a full active roster on the Disco before everyone runs off to a new ship?

Offline Malcolm Adeyemi

• Shadow Fleet Reserves
  • Champion Member
  • Awarded to any player who has been with the Fleet 5 Years Awarded in January and July by the FCO to crew of the most organized SIMM. Awarded to players in recognition of their recruitment efforts. Awarded in January and July to the player who writes the most engaging posts. Awarded to players who successfully complete the EPC or ATC.
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #65 on: July 21, 2016, 01:32:24 pm »
Can we at least have a full active roster on the Disco before everyone runs off to a new ship?

This issue was brought up and is in the process of being addressed, but you're absolutely right. A new SIMM doesn't happen overnight, a lot of planning has to go into it. We will have enough time to address any issues that emerge with any ship before we go ahead and start making a fourth one.

Gabriel Arthur

« Reply #66 on: July 21, 2016, 01:49:04 pm »

Offline Kirok

• Shadow Fleet Reserves
  • Triumphant Member
  • Awarded in January 2017 to all active members. Awarded in January and July to the most diplomatic player. Awarded to any player who writes the Post of the Month. Awarded every January by the FCO. Awarded to the winner of the bi-annual crew choice poll.
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #67 on: July 21, 2016, 02:26:10 pm »
Chris....Evil....Never.... hahaha. You like to leave us in suspense. :-P

Heard some great ideas. Throwing my 2 cents in the fountain. Here are my three favorite ideas;

1)Norway Class - One that hasn't been mentioned but I think its a great small ship perfect for the time period we're in.

More info here; http://memory-beta.wikia.com/wiki/Norway_class

2)Nova Class - Only because I love the science missions and I think that there is a lot of fun to be had there.

3)Ambassador(Refit) - Great all around ship.

I would love this. I have always been a fan of the Prometheus Class and the ship I use in Star Trek Online is a variant of it that I really love. I like the Multi-Vector Assault Mode but I understand a lot of people here are not a fan of it and I would accept it with or without MVAM.

The Norway and Prometheus both seem to fall into that small ship (low number of deck) range.

Although I am a big fan of the multi-vector assault mode, I think we need a bigger ship to balance us out a bit.

Species:  Betazoid/Vulcan.
Being kind to others costs nothing & builds a stronger community.

Offline Cayden McConnell

• Suspended Account
  • Currently on Special Assignment
  • Awarded to players on completion of 10 years service with the fleet. Awarded to players who are always online and posting. Awarded to players who go above and beyond what is asked of them. Awarded in January and July by the FCO to crew of the most organized SIMM. Awarded in January and July by the executive officer to a player of their SIMM.
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #68 on: July 21, 2016, 02:59:58 pm »

That has been discussed and is currently being worked out as well. Thank you for your concern it has been noted.

Somehow I expected something lIke this from Gabe. You zinged me....got me rolling on the floor over here.

The Prommie would be intereating but the MVAM has been a big...mod, issue.

"Sic Transit Gloria Mundi"

Gabriel Arthur

« Reply #69 on: July 21, 2016, 03:04:57 pm »

Somehow I expected something lIke this from Gabe. You zinged me....got me rolling on the floor over here.

Have a great day, Cayden!  Keep up all your hard work.

Offline Malcolm Adeyemi

• Shadow Fleet Reserves
  • Champion Member
  • Awarded to any player who has been with the Fleet 5 Years Awarded in January and July by the FCO to crew of the most organized SIMM. Awarded to players in recognition of their recruitment efforts. Awarded in January and July to the player who writes the most engaging posts. Awarded to players who successfully complete the EPC or ATC.
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #70 on: July 21, 2016, 03:10:07 pm »

The Prommie would be intereating but the MVAM has been a big...mod, issue.

First off, I have never heard of a Prometheus class being referred to as a "Prommie," and that sounds like a dog breed.

I think canon info on this class is hard to come by, unfortunately. The prototype is in one episode of VOY. Admittedly, it was a good episode with Andy Dick and the Doctor, but the ship really only goes into MVAM once, and that's all it does. We have no idea how Starfleet is going to implement this design or if they built anymore. We'd basically be basing an entire SIMM off of one episode of Star Trek and that's it.

Offline Dylan Torngate

• DAMMIT DYLAN
  • Site Administrators
  • Honoured Member
  • Who made this guy an Admiral?
  • Awarded by the FCO to the CO who has shown the best leadership. Awarded every January by the FCO. Awarded in January and July by the FCO to crew of the most active SIMM. Awarded to the player whom the CO feels is worthy of recognition. Awarded to those who demonstrate great knowledge of their profession.
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #71 on: July 21, 2016, 03:27:39 pm »
First off, I have never heard of a Prometheus class being referred to as a "Prommie," and that sounds like a dog breed.

I think canon info on this class is hard to come by, unfortunately. The prototype is in one episode of VOY. Admittedly, it was a good episode with Andy Dick and the Doctor, but the ship really only goes into MVAM once, and that's all it does. We have no idea how Starfleet is going to implement this design or if they built anymore. We'd basically be basing an entire SIMM off of one episode of Star Trek and that's it.

I have to both agree and disagree at the same time to this.

A) It is indeed very very hard to come across canon info for ships like this (but hey some people might enjoy the challenge) when it comes to a ship like this

B) I would really really disagree with MVAM-enabled ships, as that's just a tactical cop out in my opinion

C) That issue of not having much data is a problem with several other species, such as was suggested. Say we had a romulan warbird or a dominion bug we'd also have to go off-cannon a lot, though admittedly we have a lot more screentime with such a ship.
Webmaster and Administrator
Shadow Fleet

Offline Cayden McConnell

• Suspended Account
  • Currently on Special Assignment
  • Awarded to players on completion of 10 years service with the fleet. Awarded to players who are always online and posting. Awarded to players who go above and beyond what is asked of them. Awarded in January and July by the FCO to crew of the most organized SIMM. Awarded in January and July by the executive officer to a player of their SIMM.
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #72 on: July 21, 2016, 03:54:45 pm »
Have a great day, Cayden!  Keep up all your hard work.

Will do. What can I say, you keep the boards entertaining....

Well.....sort of. The Prommie had three onscreen appearances but only in one did they actually use the MVAM. Alot of the other boards utilize the Prometheus class but as an updated version. Some keep the MVAM and some do away with it for fear of god-modding with their fictional phasers, torpedoes, and the three way split.

I have to both agree and disagree at the same time to this.

A) It is indeed very very hard to come across canon info for ships like this (but hey some people might enjoy the challenge) when it comes to a ship like this

B) I would really really disagree with MVAM-enabled ships, as that's just a tactical cop out in my opinion

C) That issue of not having much data is a problem with several other species, such as was suggested. Say we had a romulan warbird or a dominion bug we'd also have to go off-cannon a lot, though admittedly we have a lot more screentime with such a ship.

That's one of the fun things about creating a SIMM..it's laying out the specs. Essentially, you guys are picking a shell to RP within. We (the CLOs and Command Team), will lay out the specs and go from there.

I'm fast becoming a fan of the refit of an older class ship. Just understand that the Excelsior and Ambassador classes are not "small" ships . They were at the time, the capital ships of Starfleet.

I'm also a fan of the Galaxy though there could be a debate on whether or not that ship design was a failure or not. Reddit had an interesting article about it. Myself and Revek, had an interesting discussion about it.

"Sic Transit Gloria Mundi"

Gabriel Arthur

« Reply #73 on: July 21, 2016, 04:04:22 pm »
Will do. What can I say, you keep the boards entertaining....

Well.....sort of. The Prommie had three onscreen appearances but only in one did they actually use the MVAM. Alot of the other boards utilize the Prometheus class but as an updated version. Some keep the MVAM and some do away with it for fear of god-modding with their fictional phasers, torpedoes, and the three way split.

That's one of the fun things about creating a SIMM..it's laying out the specs. Essentially, you guys are picking a shell to RP within. We (the CLOs and Command Team), will lay out the specs and go from there.

I'm fast becoming a fan of the refit of an older class ship. Just understand that the Excelsior and Ambassador classes are not "small" ships . They were at the time, the capital ships of Starfleet.

I'm also a fan of the Galaxy though there could be a debate on whether or not that ship design was a failure or not. Reddit had an interesting article about it. Myself and Revek, had an interesting discussion about it.

And thank you for putting the thread back on topic!

I hate Prometheus, it's way too fanboy/godmodish.  We also had an STO ship class here, once, and it flopped.

There's something to be said for Galaxy.  It is essentially the 'superstar' class of the TNG era, and I personally appreciate the design aesthetic and philosophy that it espouses - less about 'pew pew' storytelling and more about the meat and potatoes of space exploration.  Gene lost a lot of his mind in his dotage, but that was one aspect of TNG that was correct, as well as the 'college town in space' idea behind the Galaxy project.

As mentioned prior, we thought about incorporating a sense of history into the simm.  We once had a Galaxy, the USS Gettysburg.  I don't recall it being very active, but it was here when I joined.  Maybe someone could bring the Getty out of mothballs.

Offline Alexander Wu

• Pineapple Pizza Crusader
  • Approved Applicants
  • Legendary Member
  • Militi Succurrimus
  • Awarded to players on completion of 10 years service with the fleet. Awarded to players who continue to contribute to the running of the SIMM. Awarded to the player whom the CO feels is worthy of recognition. Awarded to players who are always online and posting. Awarded to any player present during the special mission in May 2013.
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #74 on: July 21, 2016, 04:09:16 pm »

One of the issues, along with the entire command team having to rotate through due to real life issues throughout the mission, is that we simply didn't have enough storyline critical goals to pass around to all members in every area, especially with the new characters being assigned. The current mission was to heavily focus on the security department, who all became unavailable or inactive at the beginning of the mission and lasted most of the month. This forced us to adapt the storyline, and those who stepped in have, in my opinion, done an excellent job.

Some of the inactivity came from players losing interest due to not having enough to do, and others just deciding that they wanted to sim on the holodeck instead of contributing in mission. A fourth simm, where characters can be spread out and given more objectives to complete in a mission, would alleviate many of these areas for improvement.

As has been noted, these issues are being addressed. Thanks for your concern.
« Last Edit: July 21, 2016, 04:10:24 pm by Alexander Wu »

"Nothing in the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity. The hottest place in Hell is reserved for those who remain neutral in times of great moral conflict." -MLK, Jr.

RPG-D Sci-Fi Avatars RPG Initiative RPGfix RPG Initiative Fodlan Chronicles