Author Topic: Fourth SIMM ship class  (Read 22249 times)

Offline Constance Lafayette

• Shadow Fleet Reserves
  • Veteran Member
  • I love the smell of paperwork in the morning.
  • Awarded to any player who stuck with the site during the June 2017 Site Move Awarded by the FCO to the CO who has shown the best leadership. Awarded in January 2017 to all active members. Awarded in January and July by the FCO to crew of the most active SIMM. Awarded to players who participate in a Spread the Word campaign.
    • View Profile
    • Awards
Re: Fourth SIMM ship class
« Reply #15 on: June 27, 2016, 05:45:57 am »
So we've discussed this in the past and my notion was for a small sized ship. Something under the 200 range (not above). We've not always had the best track record with 4 ships running and I think right now, and as a way to "ease into it", we should do something that can support a smaller roster of say "10ish" rather than "15ish". Would never want to see it dip below 8 APCs.

Yes, I know you can technically run the biggest ship with the biggest crew with 5 people if you wanted but we've kind of established the paradigm of "like 15 players crew a ship of 300-1,000".

With that in mind, the classes I'd suggest are the following:
Saber (or similar fighter), Defiant, Daedalus, or an Oberth

Baring that, if we want or feel the need to go with an average size ship I'd like to make the following suggestions:

A Non-Federation Ship: Imagine it- a commandeered vessel, the ship of some defectors, or even a ship given to the Federation by an ally (or an ally faction within enema ranks). It could be like a bird of prey (Klingon or Romulan) or something far more bizarre. The crew would have the challenge of deciphering a non-standard (and oddly alien) ship's controls and systems, have all sorts of gremlins jump out at the worst time, some fantastic plot opportunities, and a VERY unique environment to roleplay in.

A Medical Ship: I would LOVE a ship that wasn't a big, bad, battleship. Armed with minimal weapons the crew would have to respond to threats like epidemics, deliver supplies to a far outpost, talk their way out of threats, use the ages of "We are a medical ship" to disarm situations, etc.

An Old Ship: The Federation NEEDS ships so they stop some relic from being mothballed and toss it on the front line. It's old, it's classic, and it's got some very retro controls. I'm talking like a TOS Constitution class, or something equally as old. It's clunky, it's got an overhaul but every nut and bolt in her whines when you pass warp 5, stuff doesn't always work right, you have to fight to the best. It's limits make the brave crew that man's her all the more gallant for the things they overcome.

Something on the Extreme End of the Spectrum: I'm talking some weird stuff. Either big as a sun and ugly like a Jupiter class, a time ship (I know... I know...), a Promethus or something like that.

Now these are some pretty extreme suggestions... why? Well a ship's class is largely interchangeable and cosmetic unless its something extreme. You can do a Galaxy class or a Sovereign class or whatnot... but it doesn't change the kinds of stories you tell. I'd argue that the differences between way of a Federation crew piloting a Bird of Prey vs a Galaxy class is much larger than the differences between a Galaxy and an Ambassador.

Basically- boldly go where no site has gone before.

Rear Admiral Constance Lafayette
Commanding Officer, USS Athena
Academy Command Officer Instructor

Gabriel Arthur

« Reply #16 on: June 27, 2016, 06:06:01 am »
Don't really feel like going through this again, so I'll content myself with saying 'yay, new ship!' and be glad we require it.  Onward and upward.

Offline Julia Rellek

• Approved Applicants
  • Veteran Member
  • "There's coffee in the nebula!" - Janeway
  • Awarded to players on completion of 10 years service with the fleet. Awarded to players who guest star in another SIMM. Biannual Award for players who have created and played alts. Awarded to any player who has been with the Fleet 5 Years
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #17 on: June 28, 2016, 05:58:08 am »
Y'all know I'm a hopeless romantic for the scientific side of RP... so I'm loving this idea of a Nova ship.

I would personally like to say that we should steer clear of Defiant, for now. Defiant vessels exist for one purpose and I don't think we're quite ready for war. :-P

"Somewhere, something incredible is waiting to be known." - Carl Sagan

Offline Alexander Wu

• Pineapple Pizza Crusader
  • Approved Applicants
  • Legendary Member
  • Militi Succurrimus
  • Awarded to players on completion of 10 years service with the fleet. Awarded to players who continue to contribute to the running of the SIMM. Awarded to the player whom the CO feels is worthy of recognition. Awarded to players who are always online and posting. Awarded to any player present during the special mission in May 2013.
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #18 on: June 28, 2016, 12:19:22 pm »
Y'all know I'm a hopeless romantic for the scientific side of RP... so I'm loving this idea of a Nova ship.

I would personally like to say that we should steer clear of Defiant, for now. Defiant vessels exist for one purpose and I don't think we're quite ready for war. :-P

A Rhode Island refit would be pretty awesome.

A Medical Ship: I would LOVE a ship that wasn't a big, bad, battleship. Armed with minimal weapons the crew would have to respond to threats like epidemics, deliver supplies to a far outpost, talk their way out of threats, use the ages of "We are a medical ship" to disarm situations, etc.

I'd like that, the only downside is you'd have to find several like-minded players too. It'd be a very specialized type of simm.

"Nothing in the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity. The hottest place in Hell is reserved for those who remain neutral in times of great moral conflict." -MLK, Jr.

Gabriel Arthur

« Reply #19 on: June 28, 2016, 11:50:12 pm »
A Rhode Island refit would be pretty awesome.

I'd like that, the only downside is you'd have to find several like-minded players too. It'd be a very specialized type of simm.

This is correct.  A niche idea would probably work better as its own board (personally, I'd push for a Romulan Warbird as a diplomatic attache to the fleet, but yeah).  We have to bear in mind that this is a ship that will have new people assigned to it.  If it's too specific, you'll have either a bottleneck of people wanting to get it just because of what it is, or running away from it for the same reason.  The nature of the site, being a collection of ship simms instead of a single-focus thing, makes it a reality that our ship classes and functions need to be more toward the general than the specific.

Offline Hrafn Falleg

• Approved Applicants
  • Veteran Member
  • Yes, The spots go ALL the way down!
  • Awarded to those who demonstrate great knowledge of their profession. Awarded to the player whom the CO feels is worthy of recognition. Three year award Awarded to players who guest star in another SIMM. Awarded to any player who has been with the Fleet 2 Years
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #20 on: June 29, 2016, 10:44:41 pm »
The Scientist in me says 'Nova Class' but...

I would love to see something like trade ship that ran 'obscure' missions, were federation ships couldn't get the results, one that would maybe work like a 'go-between' for the other ships.  Not a shuttle, but could if necessary take a few passengers.  Perhaps run by a grouchy Ferengi (I mean a more grouchy than normal)

"Yes, the spots DO go all the way down.  No, you don't get to see!"

Offline Alexander Wu

• Pineapple Pizza Crusader
  • Approved Applicants
  • Legendary Member
  • Militi Succurrimus
  • Awarded to players on completion of 10 years service with the fleet. Awarded to players who continue to contribute to the running of the SIMM. Awarded to the player whom the CO feels is worthy of recognition. Awarded to players who are always online and posting. Awarded to any player present during the special mission in May 2013.
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #21 on: June 29, 2016, 11:44:15 pm »
The Scientist in me says 'Nova Class' but...

I would love to see something like trade ship that ran 'obscure' missions, were federation ships couldn't get the results, one that would maybe work like a 'go-between' for the other ships.  Not a shuttle, but could if necessary take a few passengers.  Perhaps run by a grouchy Ferengi (I mean a more grouchy than normal)

So basically, what you want is...this:

"Nothing in the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity. The hottest place in Hell is reserved for those who remain neutral in times of great moral conflict." -MLK, Jr.

Offline James A. Hawke

• Shadow Fleet Reserves
  • Veteran Member
  • James A. Hawke
  • Three year award Awarded to a player whom the FCO feels warrants recognition. Awarded to any commanding officer who takes command of two or more starships. Awarded in January and July to the two players who are the best team. Awarded to the winner of the bi-annual crew choice poll.
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #22 on: June 30, 2016, 12:11:26 am »
I remember our last conversation and looking at the fleet need and I thought we needed either a Galaxy or a Sovereign, we don't have any big ship.

We have an inteprid Science.

I am all in for a Galaxy that gives us a lot more diplomacy and tactical missions available.

Click on the Badge to see bio

Gabriel Arthur

« Reply #23 on: June 30, 2016, 04:15:10 am »
I would also remind everyone that even getting deep into this topic at this time is pretty cart-before-horse.

Offline Ser Conley

• Approved Applicants
  • Veteran Member
  • it good to be home.
  • Awarded to players on completion of 10 years service with the fleet. Awarded to any player who stuck with the site during the June 2017 Site Move Awarded to any player who donates money to help keep SF running Awarded to a player whom the FCO feels warrants recognition. Awarded in January and July by the FCO to crew of the most active SIMM.
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #24 on: June 30, 2016, 04:57:03 am »
we should bring back the "Interceptor Class" it had such a short time in our fleet, I think it deserves a second chance.

isn't she beautiful.

PS. if not i'm back Mr. Hawke.  We could use a Flagship like a Sovereign.
« Last Edit: June 30, 2016, 04:59:55 am by Ser Conley »

"May you live as long as you want to, and want to as long as you live."-Irish toast

Offline Revek Tre'el

• Suspended Account
  • mediocria credimus fortitudo
  • Awarded to players on completion of 10 years service with the fleet. Awarded in January and July by the FCO to crew of the most active SIMM. Awarded to players who are always online and posting. Awarded to players who guest star in another SIMM. Awarded in January and July to the two players who are the best team.
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #25 on: June 30, 2016, 06:37:06 pm »
we should bring back the "Interceptor Class" it had such a short time in our fleet, I think it deserves a second chance.

isn't she beautiful.

PS. if not i'm back Mr. Hawke.  We could use a Flagship like a Sovereign.

^^^^^^^^^
This

Or...

Ya know...

A Defiant is cool too

Species: Cardassian

We must remember that one man is much the same as another, and that he is best who is trained in the severest school - Thucydides

Offline Kirok

• Shadow Fleet Reserves
  • Triumphant Member
  • Awarded in January 2017 to all active members. Awarded in January and July to the most diplomatic player. Awarded to any player who writes the Post of the Month. Awarded every January by the FCO. Awarded to the winner of the bi-annual crew choice poll.
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #26 on: June 30, 2016, 09:41:31 pm »
^^^^^^^^^
This

Or...

Ya know...

A Defiant is cool too

Phase cannons - nice!

Landing struts?  Can it land on a planet like the Intrepid class?

Do the 'wings' fold up & down?  The images make it appear as it if does.

Species:  Betazoid/Vulcan.
Being kind to others costs nothing & builds a stronger community.

Offline Ser Conley

• Approved Applicants
  • Veteran Member
  • it good to be home.
  • Awarded to players on completion of 10 years service with the fleet. Awarded to any player who stuck with the site during the June 2017 Site Move Awarded to any player who donates money to help keep SF running Awarded to a player whom the FCO feels warrants recognition. Awarded in January and July by the FCO to crew of the most active SIMM.
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #27 on: July 01, 2016, 12:10:20 am »

Phase cannons - nice!

Landing struts?  Can it land on a planet like the Intrepid class?

Do the 'wings' fold up & down?  The images make it appear as it if does.

I believe so, good Captain.

"May you live as long as you want to, and want to as long as you live."-Irish toast

Offline Kirok

• Shadow Fleet Reserves
  • Triumphant Member
  • Awarded in January 2017 to all active members. Awarded in January and July to the most diplomatic player. Awarded to any player who writes the Post of the Month. Awarded every January by the FCO. Awarded to the winner of the bi-annual crew choice poll.
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #28 on: July 01, 2016, 01:38:30 am »
I believe so, good Captain.

So it can both land on planets and the wings fold?

Species:  Betazoid/Vulcan.
Being kind to others costs nothing & builds a stronger community.

Offline William Waring

• RESERVED
  • Shadow Fleet Reserves
  • Veteran Member
  • RESERVED
  • Biannual Award for players who have created and played alts. Awarded to players who successfully complete the EPC or ATC. Awarded to players who have been with the fleet for six months. Awarded to any player who has been with the Fleet 2 Years
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #29 on: July 01, 2016, 02:05:28 am »
What about a time ship? It could always be a time ship with the timey wimey drive damaged so that it isn't a problem in missions.
RESERVED

RPG-D Sci-Fi Avatars RPG Initiative RPGfix RPG Initiative Fodlan Chronicles