Author Topic: Forum Notifications  (Read 2241 times)

Offline Ezac

• Shadow Fleet Reserves
  • Awarded to players on completion of 10 years service with the fleet. Awarded to players who go above and beyond what is asked of them. Awarded to those who demonstrate great knowledge of their profession. Awarded in January and July by the FCO to crew of the most friendly SIMM.
    • View Profile
    • Awards
Forum Notifications
« on: June 24, 2016, 03:58:23 am »
Prior to being away from Shadow Fleet this last time, a feature was available that I grew to appreciate: forum notifications. I'm aware that I can elect to receive e-mail notifications for any thread that I choose (mainly those in which I've made posts), but it would be nice to have some sort of in-browser notification for when I am actively viewing and making posts.

Am I thinking of "Show new replies to your posts" at the top, because that hasn't shown any posts any of the times I've checked since returning. I vaguely recall a link showing up only when new posts were made on a thread that I was watching, and the number of notifications was included as well. If I'm not mistaken, e-mail notifications were not sent out if the notifications were received in-browser.

Any number of things could explain my confusion. The only question is; which one?
  • The option is still available, and I couldn't find it in my repeated methodical settings searches
  • The option became unavailable when the forum was reverted to an older backup version
  • The option was never available, and I'm confusing this forum with another website
  • I'm crazy

I would be grateful if someone could shed some light on this. If it was available until recently, is it at all possible that we could add it once again? If, on the other hand, I'm crazy, then would someone give me some pages to color?

Never turn your back on a Breen.

Offline Constance Lafayette

• Shadow Fleet Reserves
  • Veteran Member
  • I love the smell of paperwork in the morning.
  • Awarded to any player who stuck with the site during the June 2017 Site Move Awarded by the FCO to the CO who has shown the best leadership. Awarded in January and July by the FCO to crew of the most active SIMM. Awarded in January 2017 to all active members. Awarded to players who participate in a Spread the Word campaign.
    • View Profile
    • Awards
Re: Forum Notifications
« Reply #1 on: June 24, 2016, 05:09:36 am »
Are you talking about the "notify" feature? Because you can still do that. It's down at the bottom on that line of buttons "Reply, Add Poll, Notify, etc"

Rear Admiral Constance Lafayette
Commanding Officer, USS Athena
Academy Command Officer Instructor

Offline William Waring

• RESERVED
  • Shadow Fleet Reserves
  • Veteran Member
  • RESERVED
  • Biannual Award for players who have created and played alts. Awarded to players on promotion to Lieutenant Commander or Chief Petty Officer Three year award Awarded to any player who has been with the Fleet 2 Years Awarded to players who have been with the fleet for six months.
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #2 on: June 24, 2016, 03:02:20 pm »
    • I'm crazy
    Yes, yes you are :P
    *Hands pages to color*

(I have no idea what your talking about *shrugs*)
    RESERVED

Offline Malcolm Adeyemi

• Shadow Fleet Reserves
    • Champion Member
    • Awarded to any player who has been with the Fleet 5 Years Awarded in January and July by the FCO to crew of the most organized SIMM. Awarded to players in recognition of their recruitment efforts. Awarded in January and July to the player who writes the most engaging posts. Awarded to players who successfully complete the EPC or ATC.
      • View Profile
      • Awards
    « Reply #3 on: June 24, 2016, 03:03:12 pm »
    Were these notifications pop ups, Ezac? Because I remember those as well.

Offline Ezac

• Shadow Fleet Reserves
    • Awarded to players on completion of 10 years service with the fleet. Awarded to players who go above and beyond what is asked of them. Awarded to those who demonstrate great knowledge of their profession. Awarded in January and July by the FCO to crew of the most friendly SIMM.
      • View Profile
      • Awards
    « Reply #4 on: June 25, 2016, 12:51:33 am »
    Are you talking about the "notify" feature? Because you can still do that. It's down at the bottom on that line of buttons "Reply, Add Poll, Notify, etc"

That isn't specifically what I'm getting at, but it's related. What I'm talking about is a step that comes after what you're talking about. Whether I automatically elect (by submitting a post in a thread) to be notified of posts in a thread, or I do it manually be clicking on the "Notify" button within a thread, I want to know when the thread is updated.

Yes, yes you are :P
    *Hands pages to color*

(I have no idea what your talking about *shrugs*)

Adult coloring is the new rage.

Haven't you heard? (;

Were these notifications pop ups, Ezac? Because I remember those as well.

I honestly can't say with any degree of certainty, but now that you mention a notification pop-up, that does sound vaguely familiar. I just remember that I would receive e-mail notifications unless I was viewing the forum, in which case any notifications would be displayed in-browser and not sent through e-mail.

Offline Chris Newberry

• Shadow Fleet Owner
    • Approved Applicants
    • Competent Member
    • Shadow Fleet (Founder)
    • Awarded in January and July to the player who writes the most engaging posts. Awarded in January 2017 to all active members. Awarded in January and July by the FCO to crew of the most organized SIMM. Awarded to the player whom the CO feels is worthy of recognition. Awarded to players on completion of 10 years service with the fleet.
      • View Profile
      • Awards
    « Reply #5 on: June 25, 2016, 07:02:30 pm »
    Hmm,

I think I know which mod it was. Can't be sure but I will look and see if I can find it again. Some old mod's aren't supported anymore, ie the awards mod is technically not supported by smf at all since it's so old and hasn't been updated by the author.

I do know for a fact at least 3 or 4 mods (possible more) aren't working and I need to go back and fix those particular ones. The process of doing all this does take time, so does getting the website fully operational. In that case, I am almost done having about 65% completed.
    Retired FADM Chris Newberry
    Enjoying R&R on Kantro Prime
    Shadow Fleet Founder (Creator)
    Rtd. Fleet Commanding Officer

Offline Ezac

• Shadow Fleet Reserves
      • View Profile
      • Awards
    « Reply #6 on: June 25, 2016, 09:16:14 pm »
    Hmm,

I think I know which mod it was. Can't be sure but I will look and see if I can find it again. Some old mod's aren't supported anymore, ie the awards mod is technically not supported by smf at all since it's so old and hasn't been updated by the author.

I do know for a fact at least 3 or 4 mods (possible more) aren't working and I need to go back and fix those particular ones. The process of doing all this does take time, so does getting the website fully operational. In that case, I am almost done having about 65% completed.

Thanks for responding. I understand that you have a lot on your plate, so by all means, stick to whatever you've deemed to be deserving of your attention at the moment.

Incidentally, I just earned a degree in Web Development & Administration, which involves coding/programming (among other things). I can't say that I would be able to jump right in and have all of the answers, but if you are open to the idea, then I may be able to lighten your load.

Offline Chris Newberry

• Shadow Fleet Owner
    • Approved Applicants
    • Competent Member
    • Shadow Fleet (Founder)
    • Awarded in January and July to the player who writes the most engaging posts. Awarded in January 2017 to all active members. Awarded in January and July by the FCO to crew of the most organized SIMM. Awarded to the player whom the CO feels is worthy of recognition. Awarded to players on completion of 10 years service with the fleet.
      • View Profile
      • Awards
    « Reply #7 on: July 02, 2016, 05:56:34 pm »
    I looked into the mods centre this morning and did indeed confirm which mod allowed what you were talking about. Funny enough, the mod is installed, just not working correctly. I'll add it to my list of stuff to fix which is getting shorter ever weekend.

I may or may not have it fixed this weekend. Depends if I can get to it. Right now, over half the mods installed on the forums aren't working as intended. Which is a lot of mods.

Offline Ezac

• Shadow Fleet Reserves
      • View Profile
      • Awards
    « Reply #8 on: July 02, 2016, 06:13:39 pm »
    Well that's good news. I know that troubleshooting issues like that isn't always easy, but knowing that the mod is installed is a good place to start. I'd be very grateful if you can figure out how to make that particular mod work.

Like I said in my last post, I'm willing to help. We have a couple of well established individuals on the forum that I am confident would vouch for my levelheadedness and reliability. Given my reserved personality, there are few opportunities for me to contribute outside of missions, but this could be one way. If you're comfortable staying on top of those things on your own, however, then I'm content with that, as well.

I know that a lot goes into making the forum run smoothly, so I'm grateful for your efforts.

Offline Chris Newberry

• Shadow Fleet Owner
    • Approved Applicants
    • Competent Member
    • Shadow Fleet (Founder)
      • View Profile
      • Awards
    « Reply #9 on: July 03, 2016, 01:23:26 pm »
    Fixed the mod. Should be working correctly after it goes thru everything first. Also fixed a second mod but it effects if your not logged in yet.

Offline Kirok

• Shadow Fleet Reserves
    • Triumphant Member
    • Awarded in January 2017 to all active members. Awarded in January and July to the most diplomatic player. Awarded to any player who writes the Post of the Month. Awarded every January by the FCO. Awarded to the winner of the bi-annual crew choice poll.
      • View Profile
      • Awards
    « Reply #10 on: July 03, 2016, 02:38:49 pm »
    Fixed the mod. Should be working correctly after it goes thru everything first. Also fixed a second mod but it effects if your not logged in yet.

Great work Chris!!!

Love the alert status by the way.

Species:  Betazoid/Vulcan.
    Being kind to others costs nothing & builds a stronger community.

Offline Ezac

• Shadow Fleet Reserves
      • View Profile
      • Awards
    « Reply #11 on: July 03, 2016, 03:17:51 pm »

Much obliged! Thanks for taking the time.

RPG-D Sci-Fi Avatars RPG Initiative RPGfix RPG Initiative Fodlan Chronicles