Author Topic: The Game is Afoot (PM Marco to join)  (Read 19313 times)

Offline Marco Benitez

• Shadow Fleet Reserves
  • Competent Member
  • New Sheriff in Town
    • View Profile
    • Awards
The Game is Afoot (PM Marco to join)
« on: June 07, 2016, 03:40:23 pm »
Participants:  Marco Benitez, Cayden McConnell and Dylan Torngate (PM to join)
Summary: A murdered body is found on the Columbus and the investigation is started.  This is a real who done it, and who doesn't enjoy a good murder mystery? 
« Last Edit: June 25, 2016, 02:03:33 pm by Marco Benitez »

Hi, I'm Matt and I'm a radar technician.

Offline Marco Benitez

• Shadow Fleet Reserves
  • Competent Member
  • New Sheriff in Town
    • View Profile
    • Awards
Re: The Game is Afoot (PM to join)
« Reply #1 on: June 07, 2016, 03:40:35 pm »
Deck 280Dead...  The smell....  Murdered... Who's next?

Offline Dylan Torngate

• DAMMIT DYLAN
  • Site Administrators
  • Honoured Member
  • Who made this guy an Admiral?
  • Awarded by the FCO to the CO who has shown the best leadership. Awarded every January by the FCO. Awarded in January and July by the FCO to crew of the most active SIMM. Awarded to those who demonstrate great knowledge of their profession. Awarded to the player whom the CO feels is worthy of recognition.
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #2 on: June 07, 2016, 04:04:06 pm »
[Station Ops]

Dylan was on leave from his regular posting, that of the USS Athena. Of course, he hated free time, and thought of it as a waste of time, so he instead volunteered for a few shifts on the station. Although it wasn't his usual job, he was covering for a crewman who'd gotten sick suddenly.

Dylan was pacing around a little, listening to the hum of machinery as he worked. His console got a popup that there was a security crewman dispatched to deck two eighty, but he paid it little mind. He had seen a few of those notes, but didn't have any reason to react to this one.

He did start paying attention, however, when the bio-readings flagged a mass grouping of people- notably civilians- surrounding a secured hatchway in a manner that just made Dylan uncomfortable. He sighed, and went to the turbolift after calling for someone to cover for him.

[Deck 280]

Dylan walked quickly over to the gaggle of people. "What the hell is going on here?" he asked, not angry but more exasperated. "Don't y'all know a secured hatchway when you see one?"

He kept far enough back from the group, but took in all of the people. "Can somebody explain what you all are doing here?"
Webmaster and Administrator
Shadow Fleet

Offline Marco Benitez

• Shadow Fleet Reserves
  • Competent Member
  • New Sheriff in Town
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #3 on: June 07, 2016, 04:49:37 pm »

Offline Dylan Torngate

• DAMMIT DYLAN
  • Site Administrators
  • Honoured Member
  • Awarded by the FCO to the CO who has shown the best leadership. Awarded every January by the FCO. Awarded in January and July by the FCO to crew of the most active SIMM. Awarded to those who demonstrate great knowledge of their profession. Awarded to the player whom the CO feels is worthy of recognition.
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #4 on: June 08, 2016, 01:21:27 pm »
Dylan looked up at the man when he stood out of the vents. Dylan pegged his height at about 6'1" to 6'3". He wasn't intimidated though, and immediately set to work "encouraging" people to vacate the area.

"A corpse in the crawlspace? Not likely." Dylan scoffed, then stuck his head in and got a wiff of whatever ungodly smell was in there. "Nevermind, it's entirely possible" he said, shaking his head. "My first question is what the hell were they doing in a secured crawlspace?"

He shook his head, exasperated. "Nevermind. Anyways, as to your question, No you can't get in there without hands and knees, and no there is no good way to get whatever is in there out in the same way it is, unless you feel like filling out two mountans of paperwork to use the transporters."

Dylan sealed the hatchway and put in his personal access code to lock it, a thick metal bolt sliding in to place with a loud "Thunk". He then began taking scans of the area with his tricorder, trying to see if he could detect the body from here. He could not.

Dylan then shut down the power systems through this section, isolating the area so that it was safer to enter.
Shadow Fleet

Offline Marco Benitez

• Shadow Fleet Reserves
  • Competent Member
  • New Sheriff in Town
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #5 on: June 08, 2016, 02:46:47 pm »
personally

Offline Dylan Torngate

• DAMMIT DYLAN
  • Site Administrators
  • Honoured Member
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #6 on: June 08, 2016, 03:12:10 pm »
Dylan rolled his eyes to himself when his back was turned to Marco. The man sounded so damn vulcan... either that or he just had no social skills worth a damn.

"Whatever you say, I'll forward the requisition forms to you." he said, and walked over to the wall console, sending the pages of paperwork to the security crewman's PADD. After he had finished that he walked back over and saw two security people now on guard. He outranked them both and have them step aside. He unlocked the hatch, took a deep breath, and entered, leading the way.

"I know how to handle myself, you have no need to treat me like a schoolchild" he said, matching the tone and boredness of the crewman behind him. He reached a junction, and kept going. The smell was overpowering and disgusting, but thankfully Dylan wasn't queasy. he'd grown up on freighters, he'd seen his fair share of mutilated bodies and parts.
Shadow Fleet

Offline Marco Benitez

• Shadow Fleet Reserves
  • Competent Member
  • New Sheriff in Town
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #7 on: June 08, 2016, 03:47:02 pm »
Once again the ensign was talking about paperwork but all Marco had in his mind was getting to the location.  He made his mental checks of what he was going to look for and he prayed silently that it wasn't a civilian who was dead.  However, from what the girl had told him, the corpse wore a Starfleet uniform.  Still, uniforms could be counterfeited so an actual facial recognition confirmation would be needed. 

He ignored the other man's protest against being treated like a child.  Marco had no idea he had treated him as a child but had merely given him clear instruction.  Instruction he would have given anyone actually.  Again, he was only trying to make himself understood.  The comment came and went and he put no further thought into it.  If the Ensign wanted to brood over a few simple words that was his problem, Marco had more important ones. 

The smell was getting strong and it indicated that the body had been there for a couple of days.  If the man was Starfleet personnel, how had he gone missing so long without someone reporting him?  Surely, just missing his shift would have sent alerts. 

Unless he was on leave?

Offline Dylan Torngate

• DAMMIT DYLAN
  • Site Administrators
  • Honoured Member
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #8 on: June 08, 2016, 04:05:17 pm »
Dylan entered the area, sliding his feet forward and standing. He knew that the security crewman would take care of the body, so paid it no mind. He knew security was about to have a field day, and didn't touch anything related to the scene. He recognized the gold of starfleet Engineering and his gut sunk.

Dylan began checking the access terminal in the same chamber, checking for unauthorized access. He'd put on gloves as to not disturb any fingerprints or the like. He found about seventy unauthorized access attempts, and turned to the security crewman.

He heard the computer say the man's name and he looked in shock. "But that can't be right..." he said, but turned back to the area, finding an unauthorized piece of equipment. He scanned it, and followed it's interface back, and turned. "Well we got trouble here." he said.

"Yes, there are odd things." he started, counting off on his fingers. "First, there's a dead starfleet officer, second, I talked to this officer this morning over comms, he called in sick today. Third off, there are about seventy access attempts on this console, which is tied into the weapons grid, and fourth there's an unauthorized thing here that's slaved into the weapons grid, which means someone has access to every weapon on this station. That's RIM XII-C Independent Twin Mounted Phaser Emplacements: 40 banks of 2 each, and fifty 50 MK-II Phaser Cannons, with enough torpedoes to destroy a small moon."
Shadow Fleet

Offline Cayden McConnell

• Suspended Account
  • Currently on Special Assignment
  • Awarded to players on completion of 10 years service with the fleet. Awarded in January and July by the FCO to crew of the most organized SIMM. Awarded to players who go above and beyond what is asked of them. Awarded to players who are always online and posting. Awarded in January and July by the executive officer to a player of their SIMM.
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #9 on: June 08, 2016, 04:27:58 pm »
personally

Cayden had been in the Starbase Operations center, looking over the refit schedule for the USS Monitor. The starbase shipyard personnel were still replacing sever all of the power transfer relays in the engine room from the latest engines test.

Looking up from his console, he heard the call for a commanding officer to be present at a crime scene. Like it or not, he was currently the XO of this orbiting behemoth until the replacement officers arrived, which meant that he had mundane duties that he had to attend to.

Perhaps this will be somewhat exciting, he thought to himself.

Securing his terminal, he tapped his commbadge as he made his way towards the turbolift.

=/\= McConnell to Benitez. I'm on my way. =/\=

Entering the lift, he quickly order it to deck 280. As he waited for the lift to descend into the bowels of the station, he wondered what was waiting for him below.

[Deck 280]
(A few minutes later)

Exiting the lift, he simply followed the security personnel to the area of interest and saw to other crewman standing there, discussing something.

"What have you got?" He asked, in a slightly irritated tone.

"Sic Transit Gloria Mundi"

Offline Marco Benitez

• Shadow Fleet Reserves
  • Competent Member
  • New Sheriff in Town
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #10 on: June 08, 2016, 04:43:30 pm »
"Yes, there are odd things." he started, counting off on his fingers. "First, there's a dead starfleet officer, second, I talked to this officer this morning over comms, he called in sick today. Third off, there are about seventy access attempts on this console, which is tied into the weapons grid, and fourth there's an unauthorized thing here that's slaved into the weapons grid, which means someone has access to every weapon on this station. That's RIM XII-C Independent Twin Mounted Phaser Emplacements: 40 banks of 2 each, and fifty 50 MK-II Phaser Cannons, with enough torpedoes to destroy a small moon."
Unless he figured out how to commit suicide by hyperspanner through the temple. Marco mused darkly then continued. 

=^= I have Ensign Torngate from Engineering with me, and he has confirmed that this area has been tempered with.  Sir, it seems someone has enslaved the base's weapons systems and could be in control of them.  I have requested that the system be removed. =^=

Marco turned to Dylan, wondering if he wanted to add something to the information. 

Offline Dylan Torngate

• DAMMIT DYLAN
  • Site Administrators
  • Honoured Member
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #11 on: June 08, 2016, 05:04:43 pm »
Dylan was very, very agitated. "Damn it all I knew this man, I worked with him." he said, his foot tapping incessantly. "I talked with him this morning, and unless he was playing with some serious radiation he's been dead for a while." he paced a little, trying to run down things. He was unsuccessful in determining who it was he'd talked to over comms, but kept thinking.

"Well, is there a sanctioned way... No." he said, trying to order things. "Can I make a way? Probably." he said. "Would it end up with me losing my job and being sent to a federation penal colony, most definitely." He obesrved the piece. "I have know way of knowing how far this goes, if there is more than one adapter we'll tip our hand that we know we're on to the person." he said, frustrated at not being able to do anything.

Dylan squatted down and observed the corpse. He looked at the hyperspanner wound. "Well there's a hint there, it takes quite a bit of force to shove that thing through a person's temple, so whoever it is has some major leverage."

As he heard the commander was coming, he gulped. It hadn't exactly been cleared that Dylan could cover any extra Engineering shifts while on leave from Athena. He'd registered with the Commander as being on base when he arrived, but other than that he wasn't exactly part of the Starbase crew.

Shadow Fleet

Offline Cayden McConnell

• Suspended Account
  • Currently on Special Assignment
  • Awarded to players on completion of 10 years service with the fleet. Awarded in January and July by the FCO to crew of the most organized SIMM. Awarded to players who go above and beyond what is asked of them. Awarded to players who are always online and posting. Awarded in January and July by the executive officer to a player of their SIMM.
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #12 on: June 08, 2016, 05:19:38 pm »
Unless he figured out how to commit suicide by hyperspanner through the temple. Marco mused darkly then continued. 

=^= I have Ensign Torngate from Engineering with me, and he has confirmed that this area has been tempered with.  Sir, it seems someone has enslaved the base's weapons systems and could be in control of them.  I have requested that the system be removed. =^=

Marco turned to Dylan, wondering if he wanted to add something to the information.

Dylan was very, very agitated. "Damn it all I knew this man, I worked with him." he said, his foot tapping incessantly. "I talked with him this morning, and unless he was playing with some serious radiation he's been dead for a while." he paced a little, trying to run down things. He was unsuccessful in determining who it was he'd talked to over comms, but kept thinking.

"Well, is there a sanctioned way... No." he said, trying to order things. "Can I make a way? Probably." he said. "Would it end up with me losing my job and being sent to a federation penal colony, most definitely." He obesrved the piece. "I have know way of knowing how far this goes, if there is more than one adapter we'll tip our hand that we know we're on to the person." he said, frustrated at not being able to do anything.

Dylan squatted down and observed the corpse. He looked at the hyperspanner wound. "Well there's a hint there, it takes quite a bit of force to shove that thing through a person's temple, so whoever it is has some major leverage."

As he heard the commander was coming, he gulped. It hadn't exactly been cleared that Dylan could cover any extra Engineering shifts while on leave from Athena. He'd registered with the Commander as being on base when he arrived, but other than that he wasn't exactly part of the Starbase crew.

Cayden walked through the collection of security personnel and made his way to the crime scene. As he approached he saw an Ensign and a Crewman standing over a body and near a control panel.

He knew that one was Crewman Recruit Benitez and the other was an Ensign from the Athena.

Dillwe...no, Dylan Thornhead or something, he thought to himself.

Names weren't all that important though he knew that the Ensign wasn't not assigned to the Starbase personnel roster and not assigned to a duty shift.

Looking at the ensign, he quickly found nothing of interest, rather like a predator deciding that the prey was not worth the effort of killing.

Benitez seemed to have ano annoyed expression of his face, as Cayden's glance fell upon him. Moving quickly past Benitez, Cayden looked at the corpse that lay on the deck.

Cayden felt nothing as he looked at the dead body. The man had been struck in the head with a blunt object...he was dead. End of his story. What lay ahead was the search for the reason as to why he was dead.

"Has medical examined the deceased yet?" He asked, coldly, still looking at the body on the floor.

"Sic Transit Gloria Mundi"

Offline Marco Benitez

• Shadow Fleet Reserves
  • Competent Member
  • New Sheriff in Town
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #13 on: June 08, 2016, 05:49:34 pm »

"Well, is there a sanctioned way... No." he said, trying to order things. "Can I make a way? Probably." he said. "Would it end up with me losing my job and being sent to a federation penal colony, most definitely." He observed the piece. "I have know way of knowing how far this goes, if there is more than one adapter we'll tip our hand that we know we're on to the person." he said, frustrated at not being able to do anything.

Benitez seemed to have an annoyed expression of his face, as Cayden's glance fell upon him. Moving quickly past Benitez, Cayden looked at the corpse that lay on the deck.

Cayden felt nothing as he looked at the dead body. The man had been struck in the head with a blunt object...he was dead. End of his story. What lay ahead was the search for the reason as to why he was dead.

"Has medical examined the deceased yet?" He asked, coldly, still looking at the body on the floor.

Offline Dylan Torngate

• DAMMIT DYLAN
  • Site Administrators
  • Honoured Member
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #14 on: June 08, 2016, 06:16:28 pm »

Dylan shrunk back at the Commander's entrance, both to get away from him and to give him some room. He took a few deep breaths and calmed down, but still had some residual angst left over. Dylan was both on his first murder scene and had, for the first time, had to deal with the arsenal of an entire starbase going rogue. It wasn't a pretty thought.

He nodded at the crewman's explanation. "That's certainly possible" he said, nodding in acquiescence. "I guess you're right, you are security after all."

He stood back and observed the equipment around, linking his tricorder with the weapons grid and running a diagnostic. The system was a mess, with malicious code written throughout. It would be a pain in the ass to remove, but as soon as they did the entire grid was rigged to blow.

He heard the men discussing the body. "Aye, sir." he said, speaking to the Commander. "I spoke with him earlier today... He said he was sick and asked if I could cover his shift, so he didn't have to bother any of the on-base engineers, and to keep it on the down-low because he didn't want to bother you." he said, looking down at his feet slightly for breaking several regulations right there, which included letting the Station Commander know if any roster changes happened.

He took the piece of equipment in his hand, glad it was gloved. "Well... I'd say that it's an unauthorized bug, little interface device that is mean to syphon computer data to another source... These things get really hot when turned on. From the burns on his hands" he said, indicating his left hand, "He was removing it."

"The weapons systems are a charlie-foxtrot." he said, bluntly. "They're all syphoned to another control device, anything from a PADD to another starship computer, so that doesn't lower the chances any. If we tap into the virus it'll alert whoever put it there and they might go off. The virus is set to detonate all the torpedoes on the station if the virus is removed improperly."

He cursed himself for not seeing it earlier, though it was impossible for him to have seen this code from the Ops centre.
Shadow Fleet

RPG-D Sci-Fi Avatars RPG Initiative RPGfix RPG Initiative Fodlan Chronicles