Attention on Deck (Open Meet and Greet! Come on In!)

Started by Constance Lafayette, May 31, 2016, 01:27:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Constance Lafayette

[Briefing Room - USS Athena]

Captain Lafayette was sternly regarding what appeared to be a bottle of Andorian Brandy. She seemed almost to be in a staring contest with the bottle as she glowered at it fiercely from her seat at the table an arm's length away. Finally the small, composed, woman gave a sleight nod and the chef opened it.

"That will do."

She said quietly, in a voice that might have been ordering an execution as cold as it was. Constance was not a warm woman. She was a stickler for rules and a perfectionist. Even when it came to parties. Nothing but the best- everything in order.

She had the briefing room converted into an small gathering place. The USS Athena was a new ship- recently commissioned to  replace losses during the Dominion war. She was much the same way.

Rear Admiral Constance Lafayette
Commanding Officer, USS Athena
Academy Command Officer Instructor

Malcolm Adeyemi

[Briefing Room - USS Athena]

Commander Stafford breezed into the room and greeted the chef with the biggest smile of the week. It was a bandit grin, like a pirate's flag. He appeared like a madman or happy--or both.

"Place looks great, crewman." Stafford drifted over to where the drinks were. They were set up in an old fashioned way instead of using a replicator. He tried to remember the last time he had eaten or drank something that was real. Too long. Far too long.

"Get your drink, sir?" The enlisted cook asked eagerly.

"I'm fine, crewman, thank you. I'm sure you are busy." He replied, snatching up a highball glass. He tumbled some ice into it and uncorked a bottle of Bushmills. The golden brown whiskey curled artfully around the rocks, making them into islands.

"Ah, captain." He made his way across the room, through the throng of stewards and crew and officers. With his freshly shaved head gleaming in the lights, his perfect uniform that somehow seemed to drape itself casually over his stocky body, and the gregarious smile on the cutthroat, thuggish face he cut quite a figure.

"We haven't had a chance to formally meet yet, captain." The ice tinkled merrily in the crystal glass as Stafford took a drink. He wasn't a man for sipping, that was clear. When he had almost but not quite killed the whiskey he placed the glass on the table and surreptitiously rubbed the moisture from his hand before extending it. "Commander Stafford. Please call me 'Luke.'"

Dylan Torngate

[Crew Quarters]

Dylan tossed his seabags into the corner of his new bunk, and sat down. He was ready to get a fresh start, and a brand new ship was just the thing. He left his seabags for unpacking later, and got up. He straightened his uniform in the now-infamous "Picard Maneuver", and exited the room. He headed to the breifing room, where the Captain was.

[Causeway outside Briefing room]

Dylan entered the room and looked around, PADD in hand with his transfer orders. He spotted two officers, whom he recognized as the CO and XO of the ship talking in a corner. He stood against a wall, looking around and keeping to himself like he usually did. He was still shaken from the last mission he'd undertook, on the USS Phoenix, and was incredibly uncomfortable around other people. He had lost control of his mental faculties during that missoin, and so he was hoping for a fresh start here where he could escape the mistakes of his last posting.

Webmaster and Administrator
Shadow Fleet

William Waring

[Briefing Room]

Will stepped in the room and took a look around. He always had an interest in the Intrepid's but had never had the chance to be on one so the fact that he was serving on one, coupled with Ruth transferring with him, made him a very happy man.

He quietly sipped his coffee as he waited to introduce himself to his new CO. He had come to find out that Capt. Lafayette was a very serious and duty orientated individual. He sipped away at his coffee again. He would avoid the alcohol if he was lucky. If he was lucky.

RESERVED

James H. Hawk

[Junior Officer Quarters]

James dragged his bag into his new quarters and imedietly faceplanted into his bed. He was exhaused from the past few months. He had gone from a Cadet I assigned to the Arizona to an acting ensign before been offically promoted to full ensign and been assigned to the Phoenix in only a few months. Since he had graduated early he had been studying whatever he could on his spare time. James was a bit disapointed that he was assigned to an Intrepid class as he was hoping to be assigned to a more cmbat focused ship rather than a reasearch one. He started unpacking but after only a few minutes he decided to head to the crews welcoming party.

[Briefing Room]

James steped into the room and a crewman offered him a drink almost as soon as James was through the door, "Umm I think I'll have some soft drink, thank you," he said in his polite English accent. He was just old enough to drink alcool as he was nineteen but he thought it would be best not to get intoxicated. He looked around the room and saw both new faces and old faces (or at least older than the new faces).

James was suprised when he saw that former Lieutenant Lafayette had been promoted to captain but it didn't matter to him as long as she was competent enough. He was too shy to approach anyone so he just stood in a corner drinking his soft drink.

Constance Lafayette

[Briefing Room]

Constance regarded Luke with a keen eye before she stood, nodded approvingly, and shook his hand.

"It is a pleasure Commander Stafford. I've reviewed your profile and I have to say I am pleasantly impressed. In my experience, few medical officers end up in command so I expect great things from you and the effect you will have on this crew."

The way she spoke was formal, sharp, but not unwelcoming. She spoke in a professorial way, like a stiff-witted mentor rather than a condescending Captain.

"Ensign Torngate. Please, join us. The wall is no place for flowers."

She said, her tone warming as she saw him. She had been on the Phoenix herself during the incident and knew "that look". She'd seen it in the mirror more than a few times. She had taken the temporary rank of Lieutenant while the ship had been prepared and her station cleared. She has prefered active work to holding down a desk.

"You as well Mr. Waring, Mr. Hawk. It's good to see you both."

Constance had a brand new ship with a brand new crew on a brand new mission and there was a brand new paradigm in the universe after the Dominion wars. She'd need to rely on these people, down to the last crewman, in the coming months and years perhaps even to a greater extent than they would be relying on her. This was not a friendly meeting like it appeared to be- this was the steel of the ship's hull being forged, it's weapons charging, and it's heart starting to beat.

Dylan Torngate

Quote from: Constance Lafayette on May 31, 2016, 06:12:12 PM

[Briefing Room]

Constance regarded Luke with a keen eye before she stood, nodded approvingly, and shook his hand.

"It is a pleasure Commander Stafford. I've reviewed your profile and I have to say I am pleasantly impressed. In my experience, few medical officers end up in command so I expect great things from you and the effect you will have on this crew."

The way she spoke was formal, sharp, but not unwelcoming. She spoke in a professorial way, like a stiff-witted mentor rather than a condescending Captain.

She said, her tone warming as she saw him. She had been on the Phoenix herself during the incident and knew "that look". She'd seen it in the mirror more than a few times. She had taken the temporary rank of Lieutenant while the ship had been prepared and her station cleared. She has prefered active work to holding down a desk.

Constance had a brand new ship with a brand new crew on a brand new mission and there was a brand new paradigm in the universe after the Dominion wars. She'd need to rely on these people, down to the last crewman, in the coming months and years perhaps even to a greater extent than they would be relying on her. This was not a friendly meeting like it appeared to be- this was the steel of the ship's hull being forged, it's weapons charging, and it's heart starting to beat.

[Briefing Room]

Dylan flinched visibly at the Captain calling his name. He looked down before swinging his head around to look toward the Captain. "Yes Ma'am." he said, and walked over, glad to see he was not the only officer being called forward. He avoided, if possible, looking the officers in the eye, more at or to the side of them. His former boss, Lt. Arthur, was right in his fears, as Dylan had withdrawn within himself badly.

He set down the PADD with his transfer orders on the table, and looked to the side of his boss. He didn't say anything, but waited to see what his new Captain would say.

Webmaster and Administrator
Shadow Fleet

Ilana Telak

[Briefing Room]

The invitation had gone out to all the crew to attend the meet and greet in the briefing room, a chance for the whole crew to at least put names to faces.  A young Cardassian slipped into the room, keeping to the outskirts of the group as she observed it, checking for any familiar faces that might be there.  She could see only one, that of Commander Luke Stafford, but it didn't fill her with confidence of any kind.  The last time she had worked with the man, it had been when she was a newly commissioned officer and not a positive experience.

Ilana chewed her lip, trying to summon up some courage to actually mingle.  This wasn't her area of expertise at all, social situations.  Anything medical, she could handle, but not this.  This was Raynor's territory.

Species - Cardassian
Archangel T'Koris/Zero Alpha/Persephone M'rai/Rachel Deacon

All the discipline in the world cannot defy nature.  A Klingon caught in bloodlust will fight a friend if there is no foe.  A Vulcan will always have emotion.  A Romulan cannot abandon their duty.

Malcolm Adeyemi

[Briefing Room]

"Thank you for that vote of confidence, ma'am." Stafford replied to the woman. "There are not many saw bones in command, true. But it's helped me stand out, like you said."
Quote from: Dylan Torngate on May 31, 2016, 06:34:04 PM

[Briefing Room]

Dylan flinched visibly at the Captain calling his name. He looked down before swinging his head around to look toward the Captain. "Yes Ma'am." he said, and walked over, glad to see he was not the only officer being called forward. He avoided, if possible, looking the officers in the eye, more at or to the side of them. His former boss, Lt. Arthur, was right in his fears, as Dylan had withdrawn within himself badly.

He set down the PADD with his transfer orders on the table, and looked to the side of his boss. He didn't say anything, but waited to see what his new Captain would say.

Stafford saw the trepidation and nerves in the young man and had to stifle a smile. How long ago was it that he was the freshly minted officer called in front of the brass? He sympathized with Torngate immensely. Standard issue, mandatory Starfleet fun is often anything but. As executive officer Stafford wondered how many of these things he'd have to attend. Probably all of them.

The captain had called him forward and the young man had responded with all of the bearing and discipline of an Academy senior during graduation. He wanted to tell Torngate to relax, that this was a party. But from what little he knew of Captain Lafayette she wouldn't want him interjecting or handling the situation once she had engaged the new officer.

Quote from: Ilana Telak on May 31, 2016, 08:44:01 PM

[Briefing Room]

The invitation had gone out to all the crew to attend the meet and greet in the briefing room, a chance for the whole crew to at least put names to faces.  A young Cardassian slipped into the room, keeping to the outskirts of the group as she observed it, checking for any familiar faces that might be there.  She could see only one, that of Commander Luke Stafford, but it didn't fill her with confidence of any kind.  The last time she had worked with the man, it had been when she was a newly commissioned officer and not a positive experience.

Ilana chewed her lip, trying to summon up some courage to actually mingle.  This wasn't her area of expertise at all, social situations.  Anything medical, she could handle, but not this.  This was Raynor's territory.

There weren't many Cardassians in Starfleet, and from what Stafford recalled of this one she was painfully shy. It couldn't have been easy on her. A gregarious man, his first instinct was to make Telek feel more welcome, but he had an inkling that such a gesture would have been misunderstood and put her on the spot. And besides, there were plenty of people here, she was bound to have a friend somewhere on board who would be arriving soon.

William Waring

[Briefing Room]

[Briefing Room]

Will had heard his name and found that it came from his new CO. Without word he moved over towards the group that contained the Captain. "Pleasure to meet you Ma'am. I am Lieutenant Commander William Q Waring. But you probably already knew that. I am going to be your Operational Chief and Second Officer." He reached into his pocket and pulled out a PADD that contained his orders "Wonderful party you planned. I hope you don't get offense if I avoid the alcoholic beverages. I am more of a coffee man." He lifted his cup to show that was what he was drinking. Despite his seemingly effortless way of talking in front of people, especially the CO, he was nervous. Parties weren't his thing. He preferred meetings. They had structure where as parties were more fluid and difficult to chart its course. Hopefully he could escape at the first available chance. There were diagnostics to be done!

RESERVED

Raynor Hughes

Quote from: Ilana Telak on May 31, 2016, 08:44:01 PM

[Briefing Room]

[Briefing Room]

One thing that was a positive about this entire situation, Raynor thought, was that he'd heard there would be real alcohol here.  Otherwise, these little 'get-togethers' were often just a waste of time - a chance for the new brass to show off their pips.  Not one vat of bloodwine to be had, not one test of endurance, not even any risk of dismemberment.  Typical Starfleet.

It was hard to keep in mind that he was Starfleet, now, and not in the warrior metals of the Klingon Defense Force officer he always rather felt like.  Truth told, Raynor would have preferred to stay on Columbus, but at least starship life always ran with the opportunity to see real combat.  He enjoyed the quiet with Ilana, but with it also ran the risk of professional and personal stagnation.  And, speaking of Ilana...

The Klingon spotted Ilana, her small, grey form standing out due to its own unobtrusiveness.  He allowed a small smile to settle on his lips, something to take the edge off his bad mood and general dislike of everything about this.  Arms crossed, Raynor sidled up to Ilana, grinning down at her.  "Come to play nice with the rank-chasers?" he asked, reaching down and placing a hand on her hip.

Klingon/Terran hybrid.  For full bio, just click the ridges.
To look into the eyes of the wolf is to see your own soul. - old Earth proverb

Ilana Telak

Quote from: Raynor Hughes on June 01, 2016, 12:28:06 AM

The Klingon spotted Ilana, her small, grey form standing out due to its own unobtrusiveness.  He allowed a small smile to settle on his lips, something to take the edge off his bad mood and general dislike of everything about this.  Arms crossed, Raynor sidled up to Ilana, grinning down at her.  "Come to play nice with the rank-chasers?" he asked, reaching down and placing a hand on her hip.

[Briefing Room]

Even when he wore Starfleet issue boots rather than his preferred, heavy, Klingon ones, Raynor had a distinctive step.  It screamed at everyone in his way to vacate the path quickly or be run over where they stood because he certainly wasn't going to move from his chosen trajectory.  Hearing it, Ilana looked up to see him approaching her.  A smile spread over her face in response to his grin as she looked up at him.  The pair of them made an odd sight, almost polar opposites of each other:  The Klingon, tall, broad and fierce against the Cardassian, tiny, frail and delicate.

"S-s-since I'm in ch-ch-charge of s-s-sickbay until a n-n-new Ch-Ch-Chief c-c-can b-b-be assigned b-b-by C-C-Command, I k-k-kind of h-h-had t-t-to attend, especially s-since I only kn-know one p-person h-here s-s-so f-far," she replied, pulling a slight face.  "I'm s-s-surprised t-to s-s-see y-y-you h-h-here th-though.  I th-thought y-y-you d-d-didn't approve of s-such th-things and w-would r-rather b-be d-d-down in th-the h-hydroponics b-b-bays!"

Species - Cardassian
Archangel T'Koris/Zero Alpha/Persephone M'rai/Rachel Deacon

All the discipline in the world cannot defy nature.  A Klingon caught in bloodlust will fight a friend if there is no foe.  A Vulcan will always have emotion.  A Romulan cannot abandon their duty.

Raynor Hughes

Quote from: Ilana Telak on June 01, 2016, 01:47:06 AM

[Briefing Room]

Even when he wore Starfleet issue boots rather than his preferred, heavy, Klingon ones, Raynor had a distinctive step.  It screamed at everyone in his way to vacate the path quickly or be run over where they stood because he certainly wasn't going to move from his chosen trajectory.  Hearing it, Ilana looked up to see him approaching her.  A smile spread over her face in response to his grin as she looked up at him.  The pair of them made an odd sight, almost polar opposites of each other:  The Klingon, tall, broad and fierce against the Cardassian, tiny, frail and delicate.

"S-s-since I'm in ch-ch-charge of s-s-sickbay until a n-n-new Ch-Ch-Chief c-c-can b-b-be assigned b-b-by C-C-Command, I k-k-kind of h-h-had t-t-to attend, especially s-since I only kn-know one p-person h-here s-s-so f-far," she replied, pulling a slight face.  "I'm s-s-surprised t-to s-s-see y-y-you h-h-here th-though.  I th-thought y-y-you d-d-didn't approve of s-such th-things and w-would r-rather b-be d-d-down in th-the h-hydroponics b-b-bays!"

Snorting a laugh, Raynor shook his head, the tight tail at the back of his head bobbing.  He preferred to wear his hair free, but pulled back was more in line with Starfleet regs.  Every once in a while, he cared about such things.  "Well," he said, drawing her close for a short, quick half-hug, "I would rather be with my plants, but I don't have anything blooming right now."  The Klingon looked down at Ilana, smiling quickly.  "Plus, I knew that you would have to attend this crap.  So...I assumed you'd like the company."  He glanced over at the gathering of officers, shrugging with a roll of his massive shoulders.  "Let's get this over with, then."

Raynor stalked toward the officers, feeling his ire rise as he noticed Luke Stafford among them.  Raynor had heard that the man was the XO of this new endeavour, but seeing him was no less annoying for having forewarning.  The Klingon's only interaction with Stafford had come from his days on the Discovery, years ago.  Ilana had been practically terrified of the man, back then, and that was reason enough for Raynor to despise him.  His hazel eyes took the human man in, weighed in judgement, found him wanting, and dismissed him, instead turning to the captain and waiting for a pause in her conversation.  "Captain.  Raynor Hughes."  He quirked an eyebrow, his grin something just shy of murderous.  "I'm your botanist."

Klingon/Terran hybrid.  For full bio, just click the ridges.
To look into the eyes of the wolf is to see your own soul. - old Earth proverb

James H. Hawk

[Briefing Room]

James quietly moved over to the Captain and the small group forming. He appreciated been invited as he was to shy to aproach anyone he doesn't know himself, especially the captain and senior officers. He stood there listening to the conversation without really saying much himself. At times his mind wondered off to other things causing him to lose track of the conversation, sometimes struggling to pick it up again. Hopefully this will be last transfer for a while, he thought, maybe this time I will get to settle in and get to know the crew.

Constance Lafayette

[Briefing Room]

Ma'am was such a formal term. She liked it. Formality was next to perfection in her mind and she liked a well-oiled ship with good manner. God help the first cowboy she came across.

"Mr. Torngate, I hear you are a boomer growing up." She said, making polite conversation. The term boomer or "space boomer" was the term for someone who spent their lives on merchant vessels.

"That must have been fascinating. I will admit I grew up a bit cloistered on Earth."

Out of her eye she spied Ilana, but she looked nervous. Being an introvert herself, she didn't invite her over- she probably needed time to acclimate. She'd give her time to warm up to the room and invite her over in a minute.

She extended the same courtesy to Mr. Hawk. He would speak in due course, she was sure.

To Luke she replied, "I started as a nurse as well actually- but that didn't last long. I was put in for the academy and entered the operations track- I had a knack for paperwork and protocol."

There was something approaching pride in her voice but she kept it well hidden.

Finally, she addressed Mr. Waring.

"Yes. Mr. Waring. I heard of your transfer. Your record speaks for itself. I expect you will live up to it- I was just telling Mr. Stafford that I use to be the Chief of Ops on a few ships so you be sure I'll be watching for any un-dotted "i"s and uncrossed "t"s in your department." She chided, though she did so with a warm smile rather than contempt.

"And if you leave the alcohol alone it will only be the chef who is offended- not me. I only drink socially myself." She said, nursing a noticeably undiminished glass of Androian Brandy.

Pausing for a moment, she let Raynor introduce himself,

"It's an honor." She said, with solid, ernest, respect in her voice. She understood Klingon and could even speak it a bit- but she felt it patronizing to speak it simply to impress someone, she'd rather let her actions speak for her. "I trust you will have hydroponics up and running in no time."

🡱 🡳

RPG-D Sci-Fi Avatars RPG Initiative RPGfix RPG Initiative Fodlan Chronicles

Star Trek and all related marks, logos and characters are solely owned by CBS Studios Inc. This fan production is not endorsed by, sponsored by, nor affiliated with CBS, Paramount Pictures, or any other Star Trek franchise, and is a non-commercial fan-made production intended for recreational use. No commercial exhibition or distribution is permitted. No alleged independent rights will be asserted against CBS or Paramount Pictures.