A Long Time Coming (Will/Ruth)

Started by William Waring, May 28, 2016, 03:07:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

William Waring

Post at your own pace :)
Set after the current mission.

[Will's Quarters -1800 Hours]

Will was sat at his desk writing down his newest convoluted idea in illegible script. Empty coffee mugs sat on the desk along with the the model Excelsior that Ruth had given him.

He rubbed his eyes and leaned back in his chair then turned his attention to the chronometer. Dinner for two. I think a small pasta meal with some fresh bread will be just right. White sauce of course. He hadn't seen much of Ruth in an informal setting and he figured he would make a nice meal for them to talk over. "Two bowls of Human pasta. Alfredo Sauce along with a basket of warm garlic bread". In an instant the bowls of pasta appeared along with the silverware and the bread.

Will set to set up the table as he waited for her to show. Hopefully everything would go smoothly.

RESERVED

Ruth Sigurdsdottir

Quote from: William Waring on May 28, 2016, 03:07:00 AM

Post at your own pace :)
Set after the current mission.

[Will's Quarters -1800 Hours]

Will was sat at his desk writing down his newest convoluted idea in illegible script. Empty coffee mugs sat on the desk along with the the model Excelsior that Ruth had given him.

He rubbed his eyes and leaned back in his chair then turned his attention to the chronometer. Dinner for two. I think a small pasta meal with some fresh bread will be just right. White sauce of course. He hadn't seen much of Ruth in an informal setting and he figured he would make a nice meal for them to talk over. "Two bowls of Human pasta. Alfredo Sauce along with a basket of warm garlic bread". In an instant the bowls of pasta appeared along with the silverware and the bread.

Will set to set up the table as he waited for her to show. Hopefully everything would go smoothly.

Ruth's Quarters

What did one wear for an informal meal with ... what the hell was Will anyhow?  Ruth pondered the question since they were a little more 'attached' than just 'girlfriend and boyfriend' but hadn't really had the opportunity due to postings and the like to spend much time together so it hadn't really gone beyond that stage physically.

Which is why finding herself posted on the Discovery with Will and Kyle was an absolute pleasure!

And so Will had invited her to dinner.  Why the hell was she nervous?

Pulling out a simple black dress that was smart but not overly 'funereal' she slipped it on.  Perfect.

Adding a quick lick of lipstick and slipping on her shoes she gave one last look at her reflection, ran her fingers through her hair and left the appartment.

Ruth walked around to Will's quarters, she was surprised that he hadn't petitioned Kyle to either have Ruth move in with him or have an adjoining door put through since, while it was about 20 steps down the P-way to his quarters by foot, the walls adjoined so you could probably knock on the wall if you wanted to communicate by morse code or something.

"I still need my own space, Will..." she said to the corridor at large, "... for my throwing axe collection!"

Laughing to herself and her eyes bright, she palmed the chime on his quarters and waited for him to open the door.

"If I were human I believe my response would be "go to hell." If I were human."

William Waring

Quote from: Ruth Sigurdsdottir on May 30, 2016, 02:02:10 PM

Ruth's Quarters

What did one wear for an informal meal with ... what the hell was Will anyhow?  Ruth pondered the question since they were a little more 'attached' than just 'girlfriend and boyfriend' but hadn't really had the opportunity due to postings and the like to spend much time together so it hadn't really gone beyond that stage physically.

Which is why finding herself posted on the Discovery with Will and Kyle was an absolute pleasure!

And so Will had invited her to dinner.  Why the hell was she nervous?

Pulling out a simple black dress that was smart but not overly 'funereal' she slipped it on.  Perfect.

Adding a quick lick of lipstick and slipping on her shoes she gave one last look at her reflection, ran her fingers through her hair and left the appartment.

Ruth walked around to Will's quarters, she was surprised that he hadn't petitioned Kyle to either have Ruth move in with him or have an adjoining door put through since, while it was about 20 steps down the P-way to his quarters by foot, the walls adjoined so you could probably knock on the wall if you wanted to communicate by morse code or something.

"I still need my own space, Will..." she said to the corridor at large, "... for my throwing axe collection!"

Laughing to herself and her eyes bright, she palmed the chime on his quarters and waited for him to open the door.

[Quarters]

Will had just finished setting up the bread in the center of the table when the chime rang. "Coming!" he yelled to the visitor as he put on his button up and tucked it in.
[img]http://www.jaehakim.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/09/mattdamon.jpg[img]
After brushing some dust off his pants he moved to the door and opened it. "Well hello stranger! Long time no see. Come in." He stepped aside to allow Ruth entry then moved behind her chair and pulled it out. "We have a lot of catching up to do. Where do we begin?"

RESERVED

Ruth Sigurdsdottir

Quote from: William Waring on May 30, 2016, 02:13:39 PM

[Quarters]

Will had just finished setting up the bread in the center of the table when the chime rang. "Coming!" he yelled to the visitor as he put on his button up and tucked it in.
[img]http://www.jaehakim.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/09/mattdamon.jpg[img]
After brushing some dust off his pants he moved to the door and opened it. "Well hello stranger! Long time no see. Come in." He stepped aside to allow Ruth entry then moved behind her chair and pulled it out. "We have a lot of catching up to do. Where do we begin?"

Will's Quarters

Ruth followed Will into the room and then sat as he pulled out her chair like a true gentleman.

"Well... to quote one of my favourite old Earth movies, 'Let's start at the very beginning, A very good place to start...' I guess it all took off after you left the Arizona for the... it was the 'Toka wasn't it?  Well, I finally got to work as my primary speciality - Sciences.  I wasn't CSO like I am here but I might as well have been.  I don't know if you remember Foster? You probably, if you ever came across him, erased him from your mind as soon as possible.  He seemed to think coffee was a mug of warm milk with 93 sugars and about 3 granules of instant coffee vaguely waved over the mug!"

Ruth giggled.  "Oh sorry I didn't mean to give you heart failure, here let me call the CMO and get you some caffiene on IV!" she winked to let him know that she wasn't serious.

"But your archnemesis on the coffee front aside, the guy mostly hid in his office even sending me up to faculty meetings, hence by the time I made CSO here, I didn't exactly baulk at it since I'd pretty much been doing the job since I took on Sciences.  Mind you that mission was dicey to say the least.  I'll tell you about it, what I can, as in what's not been locked down as classified, but first tell me a bit about what you've been up to!"

William Waring

Quote from: Ruth Sigurdsdottir on May 30, 2016, 10:46:33 PM

Will's Quarters

Ruth followed Will into the room and then sat as he pulled out her chair like a true gentleman.

"Well... to quote one of my favourite old Earth movies, 'Let's start at the very beginning, A very good place to start...' I guess it all took off after you left the Arizona for the... it was the 'Toka wasn't it?  Well, I finally got to work as my primary speciality - Sciences.  I wasn't CSO like I am here but I might as well have been.  I don't know if you remember Foster? You probably, if you ever came across him, erased him from your mind as soon as possible.  He seemed to think coffee was a mug of warm milk with 93 sugars and about 3 granules of instant coffee vaguely waved over the mug!"

Ruth giggled.  "Oh sorry I didn't mean to give you heart failure, here let me call the CMO and get you some caffiene on IV!" she winked to let him know that she wasn't serious.

"But your archnemesis on the coffee front aside, the guy mostly hid in his office even sending me up to faculty meetings, hence by the time I made CSO here, I didn't exactly baulk at it since I'd pretty much been doing the job since I took on Sciences.  Mind you that mission was dicey to say the least.  I'll tell you about it, what I can, as in what's not been locked down as classified, but first tell me a bit about what you've been up to!"

[Quarters]

As he listened to Ruth he had replicated two Raktajino and tried not to gag when she mentioned Foster's coffee. "I swear that wasn't coffee and no one could convince me otherwise." He set the drinks down before sitting down himself.

"Anyways..." he began sipping the drink "I was transferred from the Arizona except I was sent to the Britannia as XO until Captain Anderson was relieved of command and I was transferred to the Chin'Toka, then under Captain Booth, where I served as XO until I was demoted to Chief of Ops and Second Officer under Captain Brown." He struggled to hold back his contempt for Brown, who he held responsible for his demotion and the the only spot on his record. "I also have an interesting mission but I want to hear yours first!" His eyes moved towards the plate as he waited for Ruth to speak. "Haven't eaten in a few shifts. This will be heaven."

RESERVED

Ruth Sigurdsdottir

Quote from: William Waring on May 31, 2016, 03:29:38 AM

[Quarters]

As he listened to Ruth he had replicated two Raktajino and tried not to gag when she mentioned Foster's coffee. "I swear that wasn't coffee and no one could convince me otherwise." He set the drinks down before sitting down himself.

"Anyways..." he began sipping the drink "I was transferred from the Arizona except I was sent to the Britannia as XO until Captain Anderson was relieved of command and I was transferred to the Chin'Toka, then under Captain Booth, where I served as XO until I was demoted to Chief of Ops and Second Officer under Captain Brown." He struggled to hold back his contempt for Brown, who he held responsible for his demotion and the the only spot on his record. "I also have an interesting mission but I want to hear yours first!" His eyes moved towards the plate as he waited for Ruth to speak. "Haven't eaten in a few shifts. This will be heaven."

Ruth rolled her eyes and pursed her lips at Will "A few shifts?!  Did your mother never teach you about 3 meals per day?!"

She immediately felt regretful knowing that Will's parents were no longer alive.  "I'm sure she'd want you to eat regularly, you can't live on only Ratkajinos!! Thanks by the way!" she said toasting him jovially with her mug.

"OK this mission...erm well... you might've noticed that me and Alex... Mr Wu have a bit of an unconventional but close friendship now... we don't show a lot of it on the Bridge naturally but you might catch a half grin or the flash of a look here and there.  It's all thanks to that mission, or part of it.  I don't think any of us will ever be the same again.  Tulley had got this Scientist from an Institution on board and he employed me as his assistant.  He'd been doing this research on some spheres which were apparently a power source or something well they turned out to be tests, every time we passed one of these spheres we'd be subject to different conditions, one of them we were kids, one time geriatrics, and then we went crazy... the complete antitheis of what we were."

Ruth took a sip of her coffee then continued.

"Basically I turned into a complete juvenile delinquent, Wu went to hit me...don't go after him, I'll explain in a minute and it was only because we were being manipulated... but I kissed him - Glaswegian style if you get my meaning and almost neutered him with my knee.  However, Captain Tulley also went completely crazy, transported first Chris McIntyre and then me and Alex out into space.  Chris 'died' and had it not been for Alex's quick thinking, I'm still not sure what he did but we found ourselves back on board.  Chris is ok by the way, it seems when we got to the central test thing it all kinda reset as we could ask for things.  There is more but this is getting cold, " she indicated the food before them, "...and you said you needed food!"

William Waring

Quote from: Ruth Sigurdsdottir on May 31, 2016, 06:27:42 PM

Ruth rolled her eyes and pursed her lips at Will "A few shifts?!  Did your mother never teach you about 3 meals per day?!"

She immediately felt regretful knowing that Will's parents were no longer alive.  "I'm sure she'd want you to eat regularly, you can't live on only Ratkajinos!! Thanks by the way!" she said toasting him jovially with her mug.

"OK this mission...erm well... you might've noticed that me and Alex... Mr Wu have a bit of an unconventional but close friendship now... we don't show a lot of it on the Bridge naturally but you might catch a half grin or the flash of a look here and there.  It's all thanks to that mission, or part of it.  I don't think any of us will ever be the same again.  Tulley had got this Scientist from an Institution on board and he employed me as his assistant.  He'd been doing this research on some spheres which were apparently a power source or something well they turned out to be tests, every time we passed one of these spheres we'd be subject to different conditions, one of them we were kids, one time geriatrics, and then we went crazy... the complete antitheis of what we were."

Ruth took a sip of her coffee then continued.

"Basically I turned into a complete juvenile delinquent, Wu went to hit me...don't go after him, I'll explain in a minute and it was only because we were being manipulated... but I kissed him - Glaswegian style if you get my meaning and almost neutered him with my knee.  However, Captain Tulley also went completely crazy, transported first Chris McIntyre and then me and Alex out into space.  Chris 'died' and had it not been for Alex's quick thinking, I'm still not sure what he did but we found ourselves back on board.  Chris is ok by the way, it seems when we got to the central test thing it all kinda reset as we could ask for things.  There is more but this is getting cold, " she indicated the food before them, "...and you said you needed food!"

[Quarters]

Will would have been hurt if anybody but Ruth brought up his parents. They were still a sensitive topic but he would let it go this once.

He nodded his head as he dug into the food. "It's a little hard to eat three meals when I am up for days on end. Sleep isn't exactly my strong suit and besides, caffeine does the same job". As Ruth spoke he took some bread and dipped it in his pasta sauce "Nothing is ever standard in Starfleet, is it? I don't if it's us or the ships." He let out a laugh once he swallowed his pasta "Almost every mission I've been on has always ended bad for me. Hell, I've had my 'jewels' ruinedÁ¢â,¬"" he gave a visible shutter as the memory resurfaced "I-I had a worm in my brain and this last mission I almost flew us into the sun!" A smile came to his face as he wiped his face off with his cloth napkin.

"So..." he began, rising from his seat and taking his plate to the replicator to recycle, despite not eating more then half the bowl "I have been thinking. What do you think about moving in together? I can petition the Captain and should everything go to plan, we can officially begin to be together." He moved to behind Ruth's chair, kneeled down and put his head on her shoulder "You don't know how much I have missed you. How much I worried that something might happen to you. Having you here with me makes it feel like a weight has been lifted off my shoulders because at least now I know that should anything happen to either of us, the other will be no more then a couple decks away. It's much more comforting then lightyears away."

RESERVED

Ruth Sigurdsdottir

Quote from: William Waring on June 01, 2016, 03:26:15 AM

[Quarters]

Will would have been hurt if anybody but Ruth brought up his parents. They were still a sensitive topic but he would let it go this once.

He nodded his head as he dug into the food. "It's a little hard to eat three meals when I am up for days on end. Sleep isn't exactly my strong suit and besides, caffeine does the same job". As Ruth spoke he took some bread and dipped it in his pasta sauce "Nothing is ever standard in Starfleet, is it? I don't if it's us or the ships." He let out a laugh once he swallowed his pasta "Almost every mission I've been on has always ended bad for me. Hell, I've had my 'jewels' ruinedÁ¢â,¬"" he gave a visible shutter as the memory resurfaced "I-I had a worm in my brain and this last mission I almost flew us into the sun!" A smile came to his face as he wiped his face off with his cloth napkin.

"So..." he began, rising from his seat and taking his plate to the replicator to recycle, despite not eating more then half the bowl "I have been thinking. What do you think about moving in together? I can petition the Captain and should everything go to plan, we can officially begin to be together." He moved to behind Ruth's chair, kneeled down and put his head on her shoulder "You don't know how much I have missed you. How much I worried that something might happen to you. Having you here with me makes it feel like a weight has been lifted off my shoulders because at least now I know that should anything happen to either of us, the other will be no more then a couple decks away. It's much more comforting then lightyears away."

Quarters

"I think it's us, we're like Starfleet's bad pennies!" Ruth laughed.  "Mind I'm CSO and that holds a fair amount of responsibility."

She absent-mindedly stroked Will's hair when he lay his head on her shoulder.

"Now, had the captain in question been Kyle, I would have probably said we have a chance at your petition being successful, I'm not sure Captain Lafayette would be as accommodating seeing as we aren't married.  I mean she's a brilliant captain but very much 'by the book' I've heard.  It's not that I don't want to but maybe getting to know each other a little better before that sort of commitment would be better?? Especially while I'm settling into my role as CSO.  I don't want to muff that. Oh..."

She sighed realising how that sounded. "...that sounds so career driven!  But if I don't do well I may be transferred and you won't have the opportunity to have nice pasta meals with me and chat and... well, let's not get ahead of ourselves!"

Ruth shivered slightly wondering what this mission would bring.  "Least flying into the sun was warm!" she joked.

Jamie McConnell

dammit it, delete please *closes eyes* didn't see a thing!

Human/Vulcan Hybrid
"Tis better to have it and not need it, than need it and not have it!"

Ruth Sigurdsdottir

OOC - LOL it's ok *giggles inanely* we were only chatting!

William Waring

*facepalm* This is why we can't have nice things. Lol

RESERVED

Ruth Sigurdsdottir

Quote from: William Waring on June 01, 2016, 09:21:42 PM

*facepalm* This is why we can't have nice things. Lol

DAMMIT WILL just write a post....

William Waring

Quote from: Ruth Sigurdsdottir on June 01, 2016, 03:25:55 PM

Quarters

"I think it's us, we're like Starfleet's bad pennies!" Ruth laughed.  "Mind I'm CSO and that holds a fair amount of responsibility."

She absent-mindedly stroked Will's hair when he lay his head on her shoulder.

"Now, had the captain in question been Kyle, I would have probably said we have a chance at your petition being successful, I'm not sure Captain Lafayette would be as accommodating seeing as we aren't married.  I mean she's a brilliant captain but very much 'by the book' I've heard.  It's not that I don't want to but maybe getting to know each other a little better before that sort of commitment would be better?? Especially while I'm settling into my role as CSO.  I don't want to muff that. Oh..."

She sighed realising how that sounded. "...that sounds so career driven!  But if I don't do well I may be transferred and you won't have the opportunity to have nice pasta meals with me and chat and... well, let's not get ahead of ourselves!"

Ruth shivered slightly wondering what this mission would bring.  "Least flying into the sun was warm!" she joked.

[Quarters]

"Hey! Your sounding more career driven then me and we can't have that now!" His tone was enough to show he meant it all in jest as he continued to speak "Now now. If the Cap'n needs us married then we'll get married!" He stood up and retook his seat "Oh it would be a grand thing! We could have the Cap'n officiate it! And Kyle would be my best man! And VinnieÁ¢â,¬"" he paused when he said this. He hadn't realized until now that Vinnie couldn't be there if he and Ruth did get married. "Uh, I mean, uh, T'Lara. Then we could head back to Earth and have a ceremony for your parents to attend. We could even have it on the grounds of Waring Manor!"

He offered her a laugh as he took a sip of his coffee "But let's not get ahead of ourselves!"

RESERVED

Ruth Sigurdsdottir

Quote from: William Waring on June 05, 2016, 04:26:21 AM

[Quarters]

"Hey! Your sounding more career driven then me and we can't have that now!" His tone was enough to show he meant it all in jest as he continued to speak "Now now. If the Cap'n needs us married then we'll get married!" He stood up and retook his seat "Oh it would be a grand thing! We could have the Cap'n officiate it! And Kyle would be my best man! And VinnieÁ¢â,¬"" he paused when he said this. He hadn't realized until now that Vinnie couldn't be there if he and Ruth did get married. "Uh, I mean, uh, T'Lara. Then we could head back to Earth and have a ceremony for your parents to attend. We could even have it on the grounds of Waring Manor!"

He offered her a laugh as he took a sip of his coffee "But let's not get ahead of ourselves!"

"Will...slow down!"  Ruth said wearily.

All her life men had either ignored her and treated her as 'one of the lads' or been eager to rush things.  Thankfully for her 'things' had got in the way.  A job promotion, death in the family or in her case moving from ship to ship like some kind of Starfleet nomad.

Truth be told she was scared.  Not of commitment, but of being confined and made to do whatever her partner thought was 'best' for her.

She didn't totally think that Will would be like that but it was it was in the back of her mind and she reminded herself 'I barely know him...'

"Will... I love you, you know I do.  That's not going to change but,..." she sighed and shook her head on a half laugh.  "...I don't know much about you other than you're an ace Ops officer and you like coffee.  And judging by how quickly you polished that off... you enjoy pasta too!"

She looked at him, expecting disappointment.

"Besides, can't get married here... we need to get to base, with Kyle and Vinnie and... well whomever else.  I won't get married if Vinnie can't be my bridesmaid.  Sorry!"

William Waring

Quote from: Ruth Sigurdsdottir on June 05, 2016, 09:57:01 PM

"Will...slow down!"  Ruth said wearily.

All her life men had either ignored her and treated her as 'one of the lads' or been eager to rush things.  Thankfully for her 'things' had got in the way.  A job promotion, death in the family or in her case moving from ship to ship like some kind of Starfleet nomad.

Truth be told she was scared.  Not of commitment, but of being confined and made to do whatever her partner thought was 'best' for her.

She didn't totally think that Will would be like that but it was it was in the back of her mind and she reminded herself 'I barely know him...'

"Will... I love you, you know I do.  That's not going to change but,..." she sighed and shook her head on a half laugh.  "...I don't know much about you other than you're an ace Ops officer and you like coffee.  And judging by how quickly you polished that off... you enjoy pasta too!"

She looked at him, expecting disappointment.

"Besides, can't get married here... we need to get to base, with Kyle and Vinnie and... well whomever else.  I won't get married if Vinnie can't be my bridesmaid.  Sorry!"

[Quarters]

Will gave her a playful smile "I was only yanking your chain. We have more then enough time to get to know each other because I don't plan on ever leaving you. I am going to be a thorn in your side!" He took a pause while he thought for a minute.

"Well" he began, sitting forward in his chair "My full name is William Quentin Waring. I was born 2372, Enlisted at the Technical Academy in 2392 as a Transporter Operator. I met my fiancée, well my late fiancée, there." As always he hid his sadness for the most part. He didn't need Ruth feeling sad for him right now. "She returned to her ship, with my unborn child that she didn't tell me about, and I got assigned to the Discovery under Capt. Harriman. That's were I met Kyle and saved him from a Cargo Bay. Not long after that I was promoted to Ensign of Operations then Lt(JG), then Full Lieutenant on the Arizona under Capt Tulley. I was then reassigned after the Horizon Incident to the Britannia under Capt C. Anderson as Executive Officer but only served one mission until I was reassigned to the Chin'Toka as XO under Capt D. Booth until Capt Brown was put in command and I was demoted back to COO and Lt Cmdr Wyman took my place. After having a worm wrapped around my brain might I add." He took a deep breath "And that brings us to present day. Oh, I also play a trumpet and play Golf and Bowling on the Holodeck although I have my own equipment. I also have a fondness for Vulcans because they are just great Ops Personnel!"

He took a drink and gave her a look of satisfaction. "I think that sums me up pretty well. I missed a few things of course but I rushed. Now then, Ms Sigurdsdottir" he asked as he leaned on the table "What makes you, you."

RESERVED

🡱 🡳

RPG-D Sci-Fi Avatars RPG Initiative RPGfix RPG Initiative Fodlan Chronicles

Star Trek and all related marks, logos and characters are solely owned by CBS Studios Inc. This fan production is not endorsed by, sponsored by, nor affiliated with CBS, Paramount Pictures, or any other Star Trek franchise, and is a non-commercial fan-made production intended for recreational use. No commercial exhibition or distribution is permitted. No alleged independent rights will be asserted against CBS or Paramount Pictures.