Fleet-Wide Consultation On New Enlisted Training Course

Started by kawolsky, April 12, 2013, 07:26:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

kawolsky

Fleet-Wide Consultation On New Enlisted Training Course
Following extensive planning and development by members of the Media & Recruitment Team, Shadow Fleet is pleased to announce the start of a three week consultation period on a newly proposed idea to open an initial training course for new members.

The proposal, if accepted by the Shadow Fleet Admiralty, will comprise of various stages called "modules" with each designed to assist a new player in learning about an area of the fleet. It is hoped that this new course will help those younger and inexperienced role-players integrate more readily into role-playing onboard a Shadow Fleet SIMM.

The complete outline of the proposal can be viewed below.

Quote from: "Proposed Enlisted Training Course"

Course eligibility

The Shadow Fleet basic training course is open to all members up to and including the rank of Senior Crewman.

Course Aims

• To provide new members with the core foundation of knowledge required on Shadow Fleet.
  • To provide a platform for further study, improvement and preparation for EPC/CORP/COTC.
  • To provide staff with better knowledge of new member requirements.
  • To provide new members with a chance to showcase talent and seek reward.
Course Rewards

C grade - Certificate of merit reward.
For those who grasp the basics of the course but show little initiative or imagination.

B grade- Certificate of excellence reward.
For those who understand well the lessons of the course and show initiative and imagination. Those who the instructors feel have potential and will continue improving.

A grade - Basic Training award + Certificate of excellence reward.
For those who show excellent ability in all aspects of the course. This is for students who the instructors feel are in the upper tier of posting competency amongst the forum members.

Course Material

Module A: Spelling & Grammar.
References to be offered: Improve on...Spelling and Help file: Spelling & Grammar

This module should establish the students current writing ability, then offer testing on a basic role play scenario. Once complete, the instructor will offer his evaluation of this module and module B.

Module B: Correct Shadow Fleet posting techniques.
References to be offered: Help file: Posting format and Improve on...posting format

This module should be included along with module A and instruct the student in the correct use of Shadow Fleet posting format.

Module C: Star Trek Technical knowledge.
References to be offered: ACTD tech specs, Memory Alpha and Improve on...technical knowledge

This module should be treat as a normal mission type situation, where the correct posting format is to be followed. Good spelling and grammar should also remain present. The aim of this module is to have the applicant show they can research basic technology principles and apply them in character. Canon should be adhered to and god modding avoided.

Module D: Describing action.
References to be offered: ACTD tech specs, Memory Alpha and God-Modding

This module should be treat as a normal mission type situation, where the correct posting format is to be followed. Good spelling and grammar should also remain present. The aim of this module is to have the student describe an action sequence in a mission context. Canon should be adhered to and god modding avoided.

Over the next three weeks, we're looking to you - our members - for ideas and opinions on this new proposal. Do you think it is a good idea? Would it attract or deter new members? Would you have found it helpful when you joined the fleet? Let us know your thoughts by posting in the comments below.

All ideas and opinions will be respected and each one will assist the Admiralty in coming to a final decision regarding this major change to the fleet recruitment process. The closing date for this consultation will be May 4th, after which a decision will be made and announced fleet-wide.

Until then, we welcome your thoughts.

Malcolm Adeyemi

I, for one, think this is a fantastic idea. Whoever thought it up deserves a promotion.

Riley T. Munro

I think it would ease the gap between the new recruits to full member. That awkward "What do I do" stage would be eliminated.

Kale Bridges

I'm sorry but I have to ask....

What happens to those players that fail this course???

Are they refused entry to the SIMM? Seems harsh...

Formerly Reece Thompson
PokemonGo - TEAM MYSTIC

John Brown

I like this makes the new faces feel part of our Familey

Malcolm Adeyemi

Quote from: Reece Thompson on April 12, 2013, 07:41:54 PM

I'm sorry but I have to ask....

What happens to those players that fail this course???

Are they refused entry to the SIMM? Seems harsh...

My original post said it wasn't a pass fail thing. It's more like a coaching session.

Riley T. Munro

Quote from: Luke Stafford on April 12, 2013, 07:44:52 PM

My original post said it wasn't a pass fail thing. It's more like a coaching session.

Do they get any sort of grade at that point then?

I like what Wu implemented on the Gibson, with the welcoming board... that helps with the newcomer stage... and as for the rules/grammar/posting all that... it should be handled ship wise.

Malcolm Adeyemi

Quote from: Riley T. Munro on April 12, 2013, 07:47:37 PM

Do they get any sort of grade at that point then?

I like what Wu implemented on the Gibson, with the welcoming board... that helps with the newcomer stage... and as for the rules/grammar/posting all that... it should be handled ship wise.
If approved in its current form there would be three final grades. Everyone passes. All issues and strengths and weaknesses would be addressed however

Riley T. Munro

But what I am saying is that, we are doubling work load.

When someone is new, brand new, this is the order.

• Register
  • Application
  • Approval/Ship Placement
  • Welcomed formally to the ship, where they get the basics and shown the ropes on the individual ship. *Some ships have this step*

Michael Ferdinand

I like this idea, but I am with Reece. Would they be refused entry or be asked to retake the course? If it is the latter, then perhaps only have them retake specific modules that they did not do so well on. It would seem daunting and turn people off if you made them retake the entire thing again if they did well for several modules.

Everything must be earned, for if it is given, there are no lessons learned.

Riley T. Munro

I think maybe implementing the same system the Gibson has on welcoming, may prove to solve the issue entirely.

Malcolm Adeyemi

Quote from: Alyssa Meadows on April 12, 2013, 07:55:51 PM

I like this idea, but I am with Reece. Would they be refused entry or be asked to retake the course? If it is the latter, then perhaps only have them retake specific modules that they did not do so well on. It would seem daunting and turn people off if you made them retake the entire thing again if they did well for several modules.

No one will be turned away. And it's entirely optional

Michael Ferdinand

Ah, alrighty. Then I am on the fence between Riley's idea and the idea presented in this topic.  ::)

Everything must be earned, for if it is given, there are no lessons learned.

Riley T. Munro

That's what I am asking though... if it is optional and they are already getting similar things on their ship, what does this program actually help them with?

I'm not trying to be negative... more curious.

Malcolm Adeyemi

Quote from: Riley T. Munro on April 12, 2013, 08:20:07 PM

That's what I am asking though... if it is optional and they are already getting similar things on their ship, what does this program actually help them with?

I'm not trying to be negative... more curious.

I understand. Never having experienced a similar Welcome Board treatment I can only say I would have really appreciated something like this when I first got here. I think it would be a way of making a uniform policy across the Fleet that does what the Gibson's Welcome Board does, and gives the recruit a shiny medal and a sense of accomplishment to boot

🡱 🡳

RPG-D Sci-Fi Avatars RPG Initiative RPGfix RPG Initiative Fodlan Chronicles

Star Trek and all related marks, logos and characters are solely owned by CBS Studios Inc. This fan production is not endorsed by, sponsored by, nor affiliated with CBS, Paramount Pictures, or any other Star Trek franchise, and is a non-commercial fan-made production intended for recreational use. No commercial exhibition or distribution is permitted. No alleged independent rights will be asserted against CBS or Paramount Pictures.