Season 8, Mission 03: The Ark

Started by Scott Bradley, July 10, 2012, 03:07:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lee Armstrong

Quote from: Archangel T'Koris on July 17, 2012, 03:10:00 PM

Recognising the dismissal of the officers as the end of the meeting, Archangel picke dup her PADD and quickly left the observation lounge, following lt. Armstrong, head bowed over the text scrolling acros the screen as she tried to find solutions to the possible problems.  She put the PADD aside as she took a seat at the science station next to the lieutenant, her eyes following the numbers he was bringing up on the screen as she tucked a lock of hair that had escaped its plait behind a pointed ear.

"Yes, it sounds like a defense reflex, so we probably want to keep our distance from it so as not to cause alarm."  She glanced at her PADD again.  "If we can cut power to the internal comm system, that should take care of the transmission.  I can have Engineering keep the engines primed for a quick escape, but it would still be better if we didn't have to resort to that."  She tapped a nail on the console as she thought for a moment.  "Maybe if we stay at maximum communications range and keep a non aggressive posture to begin with, until we know what it's likely to do." She paused again, collecting her thoughts.  W"e'd have to set up some kind of filtre or scrambler for the comm system though."

" Yeah, that's probably a good idea. "

Lee turned his head to face Adolph at the helm console.

" Make sure to keep us at least 100,000 km away from that ship Adolph. We don't want to look to threatening. "

Lee then faced Archangel, noting the lieutenants habit of tapping her nails on the console.

" A filter or scrambler does seem the way to go, but the signal is just so raw and powerful it overwhelms our systems. We should try that avenue though,. That ship must be pretty old, I'm going to try and cross reference it with anything in our older databases, see if we can figure out what's being said. "

Shelaf Greegy

Quote from: Scott Bradley on July 17, 2012, 02:07:11 PM

As the rest of the crew moved out of the room, Scott and Shelaf remained.

" What's on your mind chief? "

Shelaf took a second to sort out his thoughts. "That briefing. All we discussed was the military aspect of the ship. We aren't fighting a war any more. These officers were trained by people who've come through the war, or who took part in the war themselves." Shelaf perched on the edge of the table, crossing his arms. "We need to get out of this combat mentality. People are seeing threats where there just aren't any. 3 years ago, we would've been discussing, like I said, ways to make contact, to talk to them. Not a thought was given to that."

Shelaf looked at Scott. "What's your plan? Not just with this mission, in general. You hardly talk to me these days. I've known you five years, I know when somethings up."

Adolph Klein

Quote from: Lee Armstrong on July 17, 2012, 03:29:17 PM

" Make sure to keep us at least 100,000 km away from that ship Adolph. We don't want to look to threatening. "

Lee then faced Archangel, noting the lieutenants habit of tapping her nails on the console.

" A filter or scrambler does seem the way to go, but the signal is just so raw and powerful it overwhelms our systems. We should try that avenue though,. That ship must be pretty old, I'm going to try and cross reference it with anything in our older databases, see if we can figure out what's being said. "

Adolph Klein tapped his index finger repeatedly on his console. Then with a start he gave Lieutenant T'Koris an odd look that was half amusement, half self conscious. Here he was catching a habit of her's. Though the half-Romulan seemed engrossed on whatever it was she and Lieutenant Armstrong were doing. Armstrong had given him a heading and the location of a Federation probe with it's proximity transponder. That was easy enough to find and navigate the Akira-class cruiser to.

He studied the image of the ship on the viewscreen. It hardly appeared threatening, just a brownish organic lump floating harmlessly through space. Passive sensors told him almost nothing beyond there was something occupying that area of space. It definitely had a faint sensor profile and even as large as it was, he'd hate to try and track the thing while maneuvering. Everyone seemed to be treating it with kid gloves however. Enough that the lieutenant was specifically cautioning him to keep a distance.

"Aye, Lieutenant." Klein gave the formal reply.

He allowed himself a brief smile. He probably should start testing just how lax decorum was around here. He was suddenly on a first name basis with Lieutenant Armstrong, whom he had barely said half a dozen words outside the line of duty to. But it could very well wait, and he did as ordered keeping a casual distance between Discovery and the space blob. Not appear threatening? They were following it weren't they? Klein mentally shrugged and did as ordered. That was all that really mattered.

Scott Bradley

Quote from: Shelaf Greegy on July 17, 2012, 03:57:58 PM

Shelaf took a second to sort out his thoughts. "That briefing. All we discussed was the military aspect of the ship. We aren't fighting a war any more. These officers were trained by people who've come through the war, or who took part in the war themselves." Shelaf perched on the edge of the table, crossing his arms. "We need to get out of this combat mentality. People are seeing threats where there just aren't any. 3 years ago, we would've been discussing, like I said, ways to make contact, to talk to them. Not a thought was given to that."

Shelaf looked at Scott. "What's your plan? Not just with this mission, in general. You hardly talk to me these days. I've known you five years, I know when somethings up."

Scott thought of an answer. It took slightly longer than it should have done, he thought of reasonable excuses that would placate the chief, but he just sighed, folded his arms and leaned against the table. Right next to Shelaf No point in concocting stories.

" I'm tired. I'm tired of being caught unaware and unprepared. I'm tired of things getting the jump on us. Tired of writing eulogies and letters to family members.

I've buried enough members of this crew. "

He turned to look at the chief, and calmed himself down.

" But, you are right. There is no more war, we're explorers first and foremost. I guess we have to remember that. And I'm sorry for being distant. There's so much to deal with right now, we've had more crew reassignments in the past 6 months than the past 6 years, I'm trying to balance the fleet politics and doing my job.

And then there's the entire race of people who think I'm the leader of there long lost council. "

Scott chuckled as he heard himself say the words out loud.

" Sorry, I know I should be here more. "

Shelaf Greegy

Quote from: Scott Bradley on July 17, 2012, 04:21:43 PM

Scott thought of an answer. It took slightly longer than it should have done, he thought of reasonable excuses that would placate the chief, but he just sighed, folded his arms and leaned against the table. Right next to Shelaf No point in concocting stories.

" I'm tired. I'm tired of being caught unaware and unprepared. I'm tired of things getting the jump on us. Tired of writing eulogies and letters to family members.

I've buried enough members of this crew. "

He turned to look at the chief, and calmed himself down.

" But, you are right. There is no more war, we're explorers first and foremost. I guess we have to remember that. And I'm sorry for being distant. There's so much to deal with right now, we've had more crew reassignments in the past 6 months than the past 6 years, I'm trying to balance the fleet politics and doing my job.

And then there's the entire race of people who think I'm the leader of there long lost council. "

Scott chuckled as he heard himself say the words out loud.

" Sorry, I know I should be here more. "

Shelaf nodded, and patted Scott on the shoulder. "You need help with anything, let me know. For now, lets concentrate on the mission, and getting everyone through this alive." He stood up, straightening his uniform. "Nobody said wearing this would be easy, but I think you do a damn good job at it."

Archangel Koris

Quote from: Lee Armstrong on July 17, 2012, 03:29:17 PM

Archangel nodded, thinking about alternative strategies.
"By taking the comm systems offline, we'll avoid them being overwhelmed, and we can probably clear the other systems as well.  Keep them on a need-only basis.  You might want to try talking to the Vulcans as well, see if they've ever come across anything like it since they've been in space longer than we have and there might be a first-hand account on their database."  She paused for a moment.  "I'd better alert Engineering to start preparing."  She tapped her commbadge.
=/\= T'Koris to Engineering.  Keep the engines on a hair trigger.  If we want power, we'll want it fast.  And prepare the comm systems to be taken offline, but stand by for the order before you do, understood? =/\=

Lee Armstrong

Quote from: Archangel T'Koris on July 18, 2012, 08:54:41 AM

"By taking the comm systems offline, we'll avoid them being overwhelmed, and we can probably clear the other systems as well.  Keep them on a need-only basis.  You might want to try talking to the Vulcans as well, see if they've ever come across anything like it since they've been in space longer than we have and there might be a first-hand account on their database."  She paused for a moment.  "I'd better alert Engineering to start preparing."  She tapped her commbadge.
=/\= T'Koris to Engineering.  Keep the engines on a hair trigger.  If we want power, we'll want it fast.  And prepare the comm systems to be taken offline, but stand by for the order before you do, understood? =/\=

Lee was already scanning the vulcan database, however it was massive and could take a while to search through.

" We could use the onboard comm systems from the shuttles and patch it in so that it works shipwide. That way we can still communicate, but if it sends the signal then its only the shuttles that would be damaged. In theory. "

Archangel Koris

Quote from: Lee Armstrong on July 18, 2012, 03:36:51 PM

Lee was already scanning the vulcan database, however it was massive and could take a while to search through.

" We could use the onboard comm systems from the shuttles and patch it in so that it works shipwide. That way we can still communicate, but if it sends the signal then its only the shuttles that would be damaged. In theory. "

"That is a possibility.  It would certainly reduce the damage inflicted on the ship's systems, but I'm concerned about what the captain said concerning the fact that this signal apparently damaged the hearing of the crewmembers on board.  That's not really something I'd look forward to," Archangel countered, rubbing her temples. 

Scott Bradley

Scott had made his way onto the bridge at this point. Having skimmed over Lee and Archangels work he was more confident they would be ready. He walked slowly over to his chair, and sat down.

" Well, we won't make any friends staying this far away. Mr Klein, close us in on the ship. Nothing to dramatic, another 15 thousand km. Chief keep shields offline for the moment.

And Lee, switch to passive scanning, we don't know if a full scan directed at it could trigger the defences. "

Adolph Klein

Quote from: Scott Bradley on July 19, 2012, 06:59:12 PM

Scott had made his way onto the bridge at this point. Having skimmed over Lee and Archangels work he was more confident they would be ready. He walked slowly over to his chair, and sat down.

" Well, we won't make any friends staying this far away. Mr Klein, close us in on the ship. Nothing to dramatic, another 15 thousand km. Chief keep shields offline for the moment.

And Lee, switch to passive scanning, we don't know if a full scan directed at it could trigger the defences. "

"Aye Captain," came the formal reply from Adolph Klein.

The unknown vessel wasn't even cruising at one quarter impulse so closing distance wouldn't be hard at all. But nothing too dramatic was the order, so with a practiced hand he entered the commands for the Discovery to accelerate a minuscule amount to close the 15,000 kilometer gap quite slowly.

"We've accelerated to 18.73% impulse," the helmsman reported, "at this rate of speed we'll close the fifteen thousand klick gap in approximately an hour."

If they wanted it any faster he figured they'd let him know. They seemed busy anyways. As much as he wanted to relax, for whatever reason the important people were treating this ship like it might come about at any moment and blow them up. No one bothered telling him to be on alert for anything, so it was either his imagination or the officers were keeping things to themselves again.

Klein just smiled to himself suddenly in amusement. He was about to muse about being ready to maneuver the ship away from danger -again-. Again. His first tour of space duty and he'd already made a difference, at least for those on the runabout last mission. Well that was part of the job. Hopefully the important people would figure out what this thing was about and how not to make it kill them, if not he'd be ready to do his job.

Kyle Briggs

Quote from: Archangel T'Koris on July 18, 2012, 08:54:41 AM

Kyle took a quick look around Engineering after the Lieutenant gave her orders and realized that there was only himself and a few other new recruits.

"Ma'am." he began as he informed her of the situation. "But don't worry. We'll get the changes started and wait for further orders."

Shelaf Greegy

Quote from: Scott Bradley on July 19, 2012, 06:59:12 PM

Shelaf nodded "Yes sir." He replied. He moved to the tactical console, starting to monitor the situation, just in case something started to go wrong. He looked over the long range scan, keeping an eye out for other signals.

Archangel Koris

Quote from: Kyle Briggs on July 20, 2012, 04:24:00 AM

Kyle took a quick look around Engineering after the Lieutenant gave her orders and realized that there was only himself and a few other new recruits.

"Ma'am." he began as he informed her of the situation. "But don't worry. We'll get the changes started and wait for further orders."

=/\= Acknowledged, Crewman =/\=
Archangel sighed.  Her headache was starting to get worse.  She wasn't going to be on her best performance while it was bugging her.  She turned away from the console, looking towards the captain.  She got to her feet, walking towards him, one hand resting on the arm of the guest chair as reassurance should she lose her balance.
"Permission to report to sickbay, sir?" She asked, "Crewman Briggs can respond in case of difficulties in Engineering, he has my confidence."

Scott Bradley

Quote from: Archangel T'Koris on July 20, 2012, 12:52:31 PM

=/\= Acknowledged, Crewman =/\=
Archangel sighed.  Her headache was starting to get worse.  She wasn't going to be on her best performance while it was bugging her.  She turned away from the console, looking towards the captain.  She got to her feet, walking towards him, one hand resting on the arm of the guest chair as reassurance should she lose her balance.
"Permission to report to sickbay, sir?" She asked, "Crewman Briggs can respond in case of difficulties in Engineering, he has my confidence."

Scott looked at the young lieutenant, it was becoming apparent she was not feeling altogether well.

" Permission granted Lieutenant. Don't worry about things here, we'll get plenty of scans for you. And good work on preparing the defences. "

Scott then looked across to Lee.

" Any change in the ship? "

Lee Armstrong

Quote from: Scott Bradley on July 20, 2012, 06:58:58 PM

Scott looked at the young lieutenant, it was becoming apparent she was not feeling altogether well.

" Permission granted Lieutenant. Don't worry about things here, we'll get plenty of scans for you. And good work on preparing the defences. "

Scott then looked across to Lee.

" Any change in the ship? "

Lee checked his scans once more, there was no change with the mysterious ship.

" Nothing sir, not one measurable change. Suggest we increase speed. We could drop in to around 60 thousand km? "

🡱 🡳

RPG-D Sci-Fi Avatars RPG Initiative RPGfix RPG Initiative Fodlan Chronicles

Star Trek and all related marks, logos and characters are solely owned by CBS Studios Inc. This fan production is not endorsed by, sponsored by, nor affiliated with CBS, Paramount Pictures, or any other Star Trek franchise, and is a non-commercial fan-made production intended for recreational use. No commercial exhibition or distribution is permitted. No alleged independent rights will be asserted against CBS or Paramount Pictures.