Doctor Who

Started by Kale Bridges, May 22, 2012, 12:24:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

T'Ra Jones

Quote from: Jonathan Sanchez on August 08, 2012, 11:24:45 PM

:o

I'm curious, what doesn't appeal to you?

It's not that things don't appeal to me, it's just not something I'm that interested. I watch it when my family does, and that's about it. Though, I don't really like how they change actors so much.

Ich lache, weil es ein Loch in mir gibt.
-Evan Buehler

Jonathan Sanchez

Quote from: T'Ra Jones on August 08, 2012, 11:26:45 PM

It's not that things don't appeal to me, it's just not something I'm that interested. I watch it when my family does, and that's about it. Though, I don't really like how they change actors so much.

Ah okay, and yeah, I'd have preferred they kept Tennant on as the Doctor, but c'est la vie.

Taras Cadenza

Quote from: T'Ra Jones on August 08, 2012, 11:09:04 PM

You're not really missing much. Sure, it's a great show, but.... meh.

Don't listen to the non-fan!! Dr. Who is amazing, and one of the greatest sci-fi shows ever made! :D You're missing a lot!
Quote from: Jonathan Sanchez on August 09, 2012, 12:14:19 AM

Ah okay, and yeah, I'd have preferred they kept Tennant on as the Doctor, but c'est la vie.

They change actors because the current Doctor wants to leave, no other reason. David wanted to leave as he thought his time as the Doctor had been fulfilled. So it's not like they kicked him out if that's what you're thinking. ^^' Also, it keeps the show fresh and exciting. :) No doubt that Tennant will be back for the anniversary though. :)

Kale Bridges

Quote from: Benjamin Bradley on August 08, 2012, 09:23:46 PM

I know this is a little different from what Commander Thompson put up, but if you had your own Tardis, what would you do?

This a topic about all of Doctor Who Ben, I just posed that as a first question :)

I'm glad that they change the actors to be honest. It gives you a chance to see a new side to the doctor, and find out something new :)

For example, I prefer Matt's darker side than Tennant's happy Doc.

I know that Tennant had some dark points, and Matt is generally a happy person, but I think Matt does the angry parts better than Ten did.

But if I had my own TARDIS, I would go back in time (60/70 years) with about 500 quid. Put it in a high interest account, then go to the future and pick up the interest that I can live off :)

Formerly Reece Thompson
PokemonGo - TEAM MYSTIC

Saffir G'Tollikos

Quote from: Reece Thompson on August 09, 2012, 06:26:38 AM

But if I had my own TARDIS, I would go back in time (60/70 years) with about 500 quid. Put it in a high interest account, then go to the future and pick up the interest that I can live off :)

Double check that money first, my friend. It's likely to be using different paper, metal, or ink depending on what you're bringing with you, and also may have names and serial numbers that will flag it as "ungood." Best bet is to bring gold, and lots of it. You can always sell it for whatever the local value is, and then invest.

Zuriel Soreka: Romulan killing spree!!!!!!
Alexander Wu: You guys forgot to bring redshirts...
Zuriel Soreka: Don't worry we will make some. Art and crafts!!!!!!
--Just another day on the USS Gibson

Kale Bridges

Quote from: Saffir G'Tollikos on August 09, 2012, 03:55:15 PM

Double check that money first, my friend. It's likely to be using different paper, metal, or ink depending on what you're bringing with you, and also may have names and serial numbers that will flag it as "ungood." Best bet is to bring gold, and lots of it. You can always sell it for whatever the local value is, and then invest.

Fair enough then :) Thanks :)

Formerly Reece Thompson
PokemonGo - TEAM MYSTIC

Jonathan Sanchez

Quote from: Taras Cadenza on August 09, 2012, 05:07:33 AM

Don't listen to the non-fan!! Dr. Who is amazing, and one of the greatest sci-fi shows ever made! :D You're missing a lot!

They change actors because the current Doctor wants to leave, no other reason. David wanted to leave as he thought his time as the Doctor had been fulfilled. So it's not like they kicked him out if that's what you're thinking. ^^' Also, it keeps the show fresh and exciting. :) No doubt that Tennant will be back for the anniversary though. :)

Oh I know, but I still don't like it, lol.

Shelaf Greegy

So many foolish heretics here. I hate Ten lovers who think he was THE Doctor, not just A doctor. For gods sake the first Doctor tried to brain a bloke with a rock because they were slowing him down! The 4th snapped somebodies neck! Then we get to Tennant and it's all "I don't use guns." Bollocks to that mate.

Love Tennant as an actor though, and Ten as a personality. It's those Ten fans who just won't shut up about him.

Jonathan Sanchez

Quote from: Shelaf Greegy on August 09, 2012, 05:40:25 PM

So many foolish heretics here. I hate Ten lovers who think he was THE Doctor, not just A doctor. For gods sake the first Doctor tried to brain a bloke with a rock because they were slowing him down! The 4th snapped somebodies neck! Then we get to Tennant and it's all "I don't use guns." Bollocks to that mate.

Love Tennant as an actor though, and Ten as a personality. It's those Ten fans who just won't shut up about him.

It's okay, we forgive you.  :P

Kale Bridges

Quote from: Shelaf Greegy on August 09, 2012, 05:40:25 PM

Hold on.... you should know that all the ones before 9 were before the Time War, so they probably wouldn't have been too bothered about guns and violence.

I'm pretty sure that committing double genocide would change your view on it. So sure, maybe he was all snapping necks and Chuck Norris, but after 8 was the Time War, so he would undoubtedly change after that.

As a counter-argument for my argument (both sides of the coin), Smith! Doctor doesn't seem too bothered about guns.

Formerly Reece Thompson
PokemonGo - TEAM MYSTIC

Shelaf Greegy

Quote from: Reece Thompson on August 10, 2012, 07:10:09 AM

Hold on.... you should know that all the ones before 9 were before the Time War, so they probably wouldn't have been too bothered about guns and violence.

I'm pretty sure that committing double genocide would change your view on it. So sure, maybe he was all snapping necks and Chuck Norris, but after 8 was the Time War, so he would undoubtedly change after that.

As a counter-argument for my argument (both sides of the coin), Smith! Doctor doesn't seem too bothered about guns.

Exactly. He's awesome. And 9 didn't have a problem using a gun to go after a Dalek.

Taras Cadenza

Further to that, the "Moment" was a modified gun in itself that the 8th Doctor was forced to use to end it all, presumably regenerating soon after.

Imagine this - you've used a massive gun to stop two warring factions at the cost of effectively killing your whole family, your friends and your home. You faint, and wake up to see the chaos you've caused for the greater good.

I'm no psychologist, but I think that would turn someone into either a pacifist or a mass murderer instantly. The Doctor went for the former.

Over the 9th and 10th bodies he went through the 5 stages of grief, well that's what I believe. Albeit not in a linear way.

Denial - (Majority of Series 1, especially "Rose" and "Empty Child" two-parter) He picks up a new companion, as he did in the "olden days", and goes on adventures, trying to push his mind to forget about the time war.

Anger - ("Dalek", "Bad Wolf" two parter, every other Dalek story except "Daleks in Manhatten" two parter) - The Doctor is confronted with his worst enemies having somehow survived the Time War, bringing back bad memories and thoughts, as well as extreme frustration and malice. They never die and as such he has no qualm about what to use against them, even guns.

Bargaining - (The first half of Series 3, a good bit of Series 4) Having regenerated, the Doctor was able to have a happier time with Rose at his side. Of course, it didn't last long and she had to go into a parallel universe, ergo sending the Doctor back down. We get the feeling he'd do anything to have Rose back, even though he knows he shouldn't. He laments about her to his new companion, Martha, and then-one-time companion, Donna.

Depression - (All of Series 1, 3 and the majority of 4, and the Specials) - The Doctor is brutally depressed due to the events of the Time War, to the point of which he just wants to run and get away, not to mention feels extraordinarily lonely. The Daleks' continued existence don't help this, but the Doctor is able to find some momentary happiness with Rose. As mentioned before, she goes, and he is lonely once again. However he manages to make his way through two more companions, both of which left, one of which fancied him, and the other, was literally mindscrewed saving him and the entire universe, and even prior to that, witnessed the death of the only one to know his name. It's then that he subjects himself to even more isolation, resulting him in becoming a more brooding figure, rejecting those who want to come with him, but becoming more empathic with those who are like him ("The Next Doctor" especially). This, as well as his foreboding death as predicted by a legit psychic, lead's to an even more manic, lonely and obsessive 10th Doctor.

Denial, Anger and Bargaining, Part 2 - ("Waters of Mars") Eventually, everything begins to converge on him and the Doctor begins to lose his mind. He now rejects the laws of time and believes he is in command of them, to the point of which he can change established points in history. However, this eventually doesn't end well, as the person who was scheduled to die on Mars kills herself to keep the Timeline going. This sends the Doctor back into his depression, and then sends him onto a complete bender through time and space to keep himself alive.

Acceptance - ("The End of Time") - The Doctor finally goes to face his death. He believes this'll come at the hands of the Master, and is determined to survive or go down fighting to the point of which he takes a gun. There, he comes to face the president of his race again. Eventually everything comes full circle. He comes to stop his greatest rival, and has to stop his own race from destroying his second home.
And so, he uses a gun to save Earth. The two major times he's fired a gun have resulted in the "death" of one planet, the second time being the insurance of safety of the other. The two things cancel each other out.
Despite that, he still has to give his life in order to save one old man who he cares about deeply.
Eventually, the last strands of defiance, he has left in him die with the words "I don't want to go."

Thus, it gives birth to the far more optimistic, and happier 11th Doctor, who embodies the spirit of his pre-Time War selves more than his 9th and 10th selves. Sure, the depression and anger will always stay with the 11th Doctor, but this is one who is far more accepting of his life's events, as referenced by his simple reference to the Time War as "a bad day" in "The Beast Below".

As I said, I'm not a psychiatrist, but that's just my small view. Shelaf and Reece are both right, to be honest. :)

Saffir G'Tollikos

I just hope that this season is a little less "meta" and a little more "whiz-bang," if you catch my drift.

Zuriel Soreka: Romulan killing spree!!!!!!
Alexander Wu: You guys forgot to bring redshirts...
Zuriel Soreka: Don't worry we will make some. Art and crafts!!!!!!
--Just another day on the USS Gibson

Kale Bridges

Quote from: Saffir G'Tollikos on August 13, 2012, 09:30:48 AM

I just hope that this season is a little less "meta" and a little more "whiz-bang," if you catch my drift.

Can't say I do :P

Formerly Reece Thompson
PokemonGo - TEAM MYSTIC

kawolsky

This just in.

I can officially confirm that Brent Spiner is a fan of Doctor Who.

Carry on.

🡱 🡳

RPG-D Sci-Fi Avatars RPG Initiative RPGfix RPG Initiative Fodlan Chronicles

Star Trek and all related marks, logos and characters are solely owned by CBS Studios Inc. This fan production is not endorsed by, sponsored by, nor affiliated with CBS, Paramount Pictures, or any other Star Trek franchise, and is a non-commercial fan-made production intended for recreational use. No commercial exhibition or distribution is permitted. No alleged independent rights will be asserted against CBS or Paramount Pictures.