Author Topic: Doctor Who  (Read 75931 times)

Offline Kale Bridges

• Shadow Fleet Reserves
  • Applicant
  • Awarded to players on completion of 10 years service with the fleet. Awarded to any player present for the majority of the Solen arc in 2013. Awarded to the player whom the CO feels is worthy of recognition. Awarded to those who demonstrate an ability to convey the action of combat. Awarded to players who participate in a Spread the Word campaign.
    • View Profile
    • Awards
Doctor Who
« on: May 22, 2012, 12:24:02 pm »
Simple Doctor Who discussion.

FANTASTIC!!!

Formerly Reece Thompson
PokemonGo - TEAM MYSTIC

Offline Taras Cadenza

• Shadow Fleet Reserves
  • Experienced Member
  • Awarded to players on completion of 10 years service with the fleet. Awarded in January 2012 to all active members. Awarded in January to the player with the best academy course. Awarded in January and July by the FCO to crew of the most organized SIMM. Awarded in January and July by the FCO to crew of the most active SIMM.
    • View Profile
    • Awards
Re: Doctor Who
« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2012, 12:39:25 pm »
Ahh, Doctor Who. The greatest British sci-fi show ever. Or greatest British show period. :D

My favourite Doctor would have to be... Peter Davison (1982-1984), as he brought youthfulness to the role and was a fantastic contrast to his previous, and admittedly more famous, predecessor. I only wish he stayed for longer. 

For segregation purposes, I'd say that my favourite New Doctor is... a direct tie between David Tennant and Matt Smith. Used to be David Tennant outright, but with each episode Matt is just getting better and better. 

Looking forward to Series 7, and the return of ALL the Daleks! :D 

Offline Kale Bridges

• Shadow Fleet Reserves
  • Applicant
  • Awarded to players on completion of 10 years service with the fleet. Awarded to any player present for the majority of the Solen arc in 2013. Awarded to the player whom the CO feels is worthy of recognition. Awarded to those who demonstrate an ability to convey the action of combat. Awarded to players who participate in a Spread the Word campaign.
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2012, 12:47:17 pm »
Ahh, Doctor Who. The greatest British sci-fi show ever. Or greatest British show period. :D

...each episode Matt is just getting better and better.

Looking forward to Series 7, and the return of ALL the Daleks! :D

I agree with all of the above :D

Formerly Reece Thompson
PokemonGo - TEAM MYSTIC

Connor Price

« Reply #3 on: May 22, 2012, 03:28:46 pm »

I agree with all of the above :D
I demand seperate polls.

As it is, I voted for 3. I love him equally to 11 though, and I echo Taras's sentiments.

Archangel Koris

« Reply #4 on: May 22, 2012, 04:46:28 pm »
David Tennant ^^  Dr Who was my introduction into sci-fi a few years ago, 'round about when the new series started with Christopher Eccleston.  I don't really like Matt Smith though.  It just seems wrong somehow.  But that's my opinion ^^

Offline Inzjana

• Shadow Fleet Reserves
  • Trusted Member
  • Embrace Eternity
  • Awarded to players on completion of 10 years service with the fleet. Awarded in January and July to the player who writes the most engaging posts. Awarded in January and July by the FCO to crew of the most friendly SIMM. Awarded to those who demonstrate great knowledge of their profession. Awarded to any player who has been with the Fleet 5 Years
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #5 on: May 23, 2012, 04:58:32 am »
TRUST ME, I AM THE DOCTOR!

The classic Doctor Who is of course the only real Doctor Who, the new one is an alternate reality, similar to the difference between the Star Trek prime timeline and J.J. Abrams' Star Trek, although that is where the similarities end, for the Abrams' Trek was good quality watching and stated matter-of-factly that it is an alternate timeline.

Noted differences between the Prime timeline (classic) DOCTOR WHO and the alternate timeline beginning with Christopher Eccleston:

• In the real Doctor Who, the TARDIS is powered by the "Eye of Harmony" a core of a blackhole created by Omega and kept on Gallifrey under the panopticon on Gallifrey. Not a dimensional rift;
  • In the real Doctor Who, the TARDIS has two set's of doors, the outer plasmic shell door, in this case the 1950's London Police Telephone Call Box and the inner doors. The Real World Interface is the name given to the inner doors connected to the outer;
  • The inner sanctum of the TARDIS, the main control room, always consists of white hexagonal walls with pale yellow roundels evenly space and inset;
  • The control console is the same as the internal architecture of the TARDIS, which is dimensionally transcendental and is also dimensionally 'grown' not constructed. The internal architecture is controlled by the TARDIS main computer and can be rearranged and redesigned and renewed by the TARDIS main computer. The TARDIS therefore does not need any primitive mechanisms added such as a bike pump;
  • Other attributes to the real TARDIS is a cricket pitch, medical bay, library, pool, sauna, cloister room, several thousand quarters, wardrobe and power room (housing the Artron Energy Converter). Of course this is to cater to the Doctor's whim, other TARDISes can be programmed with different architecture;
  • Gallifrey is well protected and connot even be penetrated by a TARDIS. The main protection is that the entire Kasterborous system is within a state known as "zero time". But as a back up, the entire planet - not just the capitol - is protected by a Transduction Barrier, a powerful force field that absorbs all forms of energy whether it be electromagnetic, gravitational, strong nuclear, weak nuclear, kinetic energy, mechanical energy, chemical energy, or dark energy etcetera. The Transduction Barrier Generators translate the energies and forces collected by the shields, converts it to usable energy and translate that back in to the barrier. Therefore GALLIFREY still exists and always will;
  • The Cybermen were originally from the planet Mondas, the sister world of Earth (not parallel Earth), but further ahead in the evolutionary scale. They were originally biological, but at some point in their history moved from biological to the synthetic in a technological singularity. Building huge Transmat Engines, the Mondasians could move their entire planet from star system to star system in the blink of an eye. Cybermen were vulnerable to gold, as gold does not oxidise and therefore could cause damage to their artificial respiratory system, literally causing them to suffocate.

Well there you have it, these are just some of the differences between the prime timeline and the alternate reality of DOCTOR WHO, but I will always be an absolute fan of the prime timeline only. Until the BBC set the timeline right back to where it should be, I am not interested in the new Doctor Who (DWINO) and never will be.

But if anyone would be interested in talking about the real, classic DOCTOR WHO, I am all too happy to oblige.

LIVE LONG AND PROSPER
DIF-TOR HEH SMUSMA

Offline Kale Bridges

• Shadow Fleet Reserves
  • Applicant
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #6 on: May 23, 2012, 05:24:51 am »
You know... I don't say this about many people, because it's a bit like the pot calling the kettle black.
But I think I will risk it this time.
You're extremely arrogant.

It's the same Doctor Who. Not a parallel one. He still talks about his past regenerations and has all the same memories, etc. It's the same universe.

^ It's the same Doctor ^

I have no idea about some of your points because classic who doesn't interest me. The same way that Star Trek:TOS doesn't interest me. I like my special effects.
However, some of them, I do know about.

The inside of the TARDIS can change to fit it's needs. The inside still has the same ROUGH layout, and it is still grown. The Tenth doctor actually said
"They were grown, not built."

But the door issue seems incredibly lame. If you house had a porch, with another door, but your dad got rid of it, would you have a rage fit at him claiming that it's not your house anymore and go to live somewhere else???

As for the extra rooms, Swimming Pool, Library, etc etc. The TARDIS still has them.
In the 11th doctors first episode, when he crashes the broken/injured/whatever TARDIS, he gets out and says he was in library/swimming pool.
Also, in one of the episodes, Shelaf probably knows which one, it states that the TARDIS can make any room it needs and still has copies of rooms it used to have, and even has copies of rooms it hasn't had yet.

The Doctor never said Gallifrey was physically gone, but he meant in his mind. In the episodes End Of Time 1&2, you see Gallifrey returning from the Time War.
It's not gone as in destroyed, he means gone as in locked in the Time War.

As for the Cyberman issue... perhaps in our universe they were built on Mondas. However, maybe in the alternate universe, they were still built and Humanity just happened to stumble upon the same creation. It's a big universe. Coincidences happen. And the Cybermen still are part biological.

You're as bad as the 'fans' of Nightwish, fighting over which singer is/was better.

Fans of Doctor Who don't complain about one series over another. They like all the whos.
*cough* Shelaf *cough*

I'll admit, I'm being a hypocrite. But the reason I'm not fond of classic who is because of the 'special' effects. I have no problem with the storylines, tech, etc. It's the visual that make me cringe. If they remastered it, like they did TOS, I'll watch them.

I just wanted to see which Doctor was more popular and provide a base for people to discuss. Not whine like a child about how nu-who is completely different.

There's a reason for that.
People have changed.
We don't look for the same things that we did 30/40 years ago. Shows have to change to fit the audience of the time.

Formerly Reece Thompson
PokemonGo - TEAM MYSTIC

Offline Taras Cadenza

• Shadow Fleet Reserves
  • Experienced Member
  • Awarded to players on completion of 10 years service with the fleet. Awarded in January 2012 to all active members. Awarded in January to the player with the best academy course. Awarded in January and July by the FCO to crew of the most organized SIMM. Awarded in January and July by the FCO to crew of the most active SIMM.
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #7 on: May 23, 2012, 07:38:28 am »
I speak as a massive fan of Classic Who, and of Nu-Who. As much as I dislike those terms - it's all Doctor Who. No doubt, no evidence to prove otherwise.

I have to agree with Reece, (and I'm pretty sure that fellow Whovian Shelaf can back us up).

I love all of the Doctors, even including Paul McGann who has done some incredible Audio episodes. But seriously - I am a massive believer that it was the Eighth Doctor who fought in the Time War, as the last novel to feature him was essentially a prelude to the Time War. Whether you consider Classic Who novels as canon is completely different.

You may not like Nu-Who, but it's like Star Trek: Enterprise. You may not like it, but there's indisputable proof that it's canon. ("These are the Voyages", your milage may vary extremely on that one, but it gives irrefutable proof that TNG and Enterprise are in the same universe.)
Same with Nu-Who. Primarily over the Series 4 Specials and Series 5, we've been greeted to images and references to the previous Doctors, such as William Hartnell, Patrick Troughton, and of course, earlier between Series 3 and 4, we had Time Crash, the meeting between the 5th and 10th Doctors, and Sarah Jane Smith is practically a living embodiment of a reference.

Let's not forget that there have been ton of references to Classic Who throughout Nu-Who and of course, the Sarah Jane Adventures.

But enough of that, time to debunk.

In the real Doctor Who, the TARDIS is powered by the "Eye of Harmony" a core of a blackhole created by Omega and kept on Gallifrey under the panopticon on Gallifrey. Not a dimensional rift;

Ahh, but the TARDIS only needs to "refuel" at the Dimensional Rift. The Eye of Harmony may have been destroyed during the time war, or is time-locked. After all, it was created by the Time Lords.

In the real Doctor Who, the TARDIS has two set's of doors, the outer plasmic shell door, in this case the 1950's London Police Telephone Call Box and the inner doors. The Real World Interface is the name given to the inner doors connected to the outer;

Fairly sure this is a cosmetic issue that the Doctor decided to rectify. Also, you know, special effects technology improvement and all that. Technically this is one of the things that may have been borrowed from the Cushing films in the 60s.

The inner sanctum of the TARDIS, the main control room, always consists of white hexagonal walls with pale yellow roundels evenly space and inset;

Take a look at the 7th/8th Doctor's control room.

Not so white, really. And not to mention much larger than the original main control room sets, which did vary quite a bit through the run.

The control console is the same as the internal architecture of the TARDIS, which is dimensionally transcendental and is also dimensionally 'grown' not constructed. The internal architecture is controlled by the TARDIS main computer and can be rearranged and redesigned and renewed by the TARDIS main computer. The TARDIS therefore does not need any primitive mechanisms added such as a bike pump;

Clocks, desk lamps, a compass... who's to say the 9th Doctor didn't add the Bicycle pump. The 8th seems pretty happy to add those things.

Other attributes to the real TARDIS is a cricket pitch, medical bay, library, pool, sauna, cloister room, several thousand quarters, wardrobe and power room (housing the Artron Energy Converter). Of course this is to cater to the Doctor's whim, other TARDISes can be programmed with different architecture;

This has also been referenced in the new series, as Reece said. And also, the Doctor designed Amy and Rory's quarters as a bunk-bed, and I'm fairly sure the sick-bay has been mentioned recently.

Gallifrey is well protected and connot even be penetrated by a TARDIS. The main protection is that the entire Kasterborous system is within a state known as "zero time". But as a back up, the entire planet - not just the capitol - is protected by a Transduction Barrier, a powerful force field that absorbs all forms of energy whether it be electromagnetic, gravitational, strong nuclear, weak nuclear, kinetic energy, mechanical energy, chemical energy, or dark energy etcetera. The Transduction Barrier Generators translate the energies and forces collected by the shields, converts it to usable energy and translate that back in to the barrier. Therefore GALLIFREY still exists and always will;

It does still exist, like Reece said. Just time-locked. But please, read up on the Etra-Prime Incident, which proves that there are ways for the Daleks to breach those barriers.

Also, it's worth nothing that the Doctor sealed Gallifrey's fate himself with The Moment, a heavily modified De-Mat gun, removing everything in the Time War from conventional existence, presumably at the cost of his 8th incarnation's life.

The Cybermen were originally from the planet Mondas, the sister world of Earth (not parallel Earth), but further ahead in the evolutionary scale. They were originally biological, but at some point in their history moved from biological to the synthetic in a technological singularity. Building huge Transmat Engines, the Mondasians could move their entire planet from star system to star system in the blink of an eye. Cybermen were vulnerable to gold, as gold does not oxidise and therefore could cause damage to their artificial respiratory system, literally causing them to suffocate.

The Mondasian Cybermen were referenced back in 2005's "Dalek". The Parallel Cybermen are referenced as exactly that. They have the same motivations as the original Cybermen, and only require the brain.

However, as of 2010's "The Pandorica Opens", the Mondasian Cybermen continue to exist, as proven by the fact that the Damaged Cyberman present contains a decayed human head in its helmet.
Regarding the gold? There hasn't been a situation to test that yet.

-----

Once again, I am a fan of both eras, but to label one as Real and the other as Alternate...

Seriously, dismissing the continuation as an alternate reality, and shouting that the Classics are real, just because you don't like it, is just as bad as someone saying "I don't like it cuz David Tennant ain't the Doctor anymore. Matt smith suks lol."

I'm sorry but this is one of my absolute pet hates. Quite frankly, if it wasn't for Russell T Davies, Christopher Eccleston, David Tennant, (A massive childhood Doctor Who obsessive I might add), Steven Moffat and Matt Smith, the Classic series would be rotting in the archive rooms. Before RTD came along, it was considered old news. Now, it has gathered an entirely new fan base - millions of new fans worldwide.

The nation's appreciation of it has plateaued at an all-time high. In the 80s, DW was being curbstomped by Coronation Street in the ratings, and was generally seen as crap. (Even though Sylvester McCoy had some brilliant stories.) Now, Coronation Street is the one being thumped, and DW is winning awards every single year.

The New Doctor Who is Canon.
The New Doctor Who is what made DW popular again.
(And hell, Andrew Garfield and Carey Mulligan's careers skyrocketed after their appearances.)

And quite frankly, it defies logic that the BBC would start planning a 50th Anniversary celebration if it wasn't entirely canon.

Once again, you don't have to like it, but you should see that it's the real deal.

It's ALL REAL Doctor Who. From 1963, right here to 2012. And long may it continue.
« Last Edit: May 23, 2012, 09:10:03 am by Taras Cadenza »

Shelaf Greegy

« Reply #8 on: May 23, 2012, 12:00:48 pm »
I speak as a massive fan of Classic Who, and of Nu-Who. As much as I dislike those terms - it's all Doctor Who. No doubt, no evidence to prove otherwise.
It's ALL REAL Doctor Who. From 1963, right here to 2012. And long may it continue.
I agree with everything you said here. I was going to post debunking Inzjana's post, but now I don't need too. Inzjana, how much Doctor Who do you watch?

Not only does the new series of Doctor Who explicitly state its the same universe in too many ways to count, you seem to forget this is DOCTOR WHO. Alternate timeline? "Screw that, I'm a Time Lord." You obviously didn't pay much attention to the series you profess to love. Canon changes constantly in Dr Who.

Finally, both me and Taras frequent the internets many Doctor Who forums. We've heard all the stupid theories, dealt with all the trolls and haters you can imagine. seen it all, said it all before, and I have no interest in repeating it here.
« Last Edit: May 23, 2012, 12:05:49 pm by Shelaf Greegy »

ThomasRiker

« Reply #9 on: May 23, 2012, 12:05:54 pm »
Before I go to netflix or certain *cough* websites that *cough* aren't pirating sites *cough* is there any place to watch Doctor Who on the web?

Offline Kale Bridges

• Shadow Fleet Reserves
  • Applicant
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #10 on: May 23, 2012, 12:28:20 pm »
Before I go to netflix or certain *cough* websites that *cough* aren't pirating sites *cough* is there any place to watch Doctor Who on the web?

Here

watchseries.eu

Has Classic Who and Nu-Who (Sorry Taras :P )

Heads up.

Some links will have smutty pop ups.
« Last Edit: May 23, 2012, 12:31:19 pm by Shelaf Greegy »

Formerly Reece Thompson
PokemonGo - TEAM MYSTIC

ThomasRiker

« Reply #11 on: May 23, 2012, 12:31:24 pm »
Here

watchseries.eu

Has Classic Who and Nu-Who (Sorry Taras :P )

Heads up.

Some links will have smutty pop ups.

Thanks

Shelaf Greegy

« Reply #12 on: May 23, 2012, 01:34:32 pm »
Thanks
For the links or the smutty pop ups?

ThomasRiker

« Reply #13 on: May 23, 2012, 01:37:59 pm »
For the links or the smutty pop ups?

I haven't decided yet :P

Offline Kale Bridges

• Shadow Fleet Reserves
  • Applicant
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #14 on: May 26, 2012, 02:01:48 pm »
Also, just a little something else we forget when disproving Inzjanas post...

In Matt Smith's first episode, it shows all the previous incarnations.

Formerly Reece Thompson
PokemonGo - TEAM MYSTIC

RPG-D Sci-Fi Avatars RPG Initiative RPGfix RPG Initiative Fodlan Chronicles