Season 1, Mission 05: Awakening

Started by cortez, November 26, 2011, 11:52:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

cortez

MISSION START: November 26th, 2011

"I'm sorry, Commander, but I will be placing a formal reprimand in your service record"

Admiral Preston was a difficult and obtuse man to be around, but Cortez knew he had a point. He had disobeyed orders and got the Churchill into a firefight it was ill-equipped to handle. Not to mention the casualties they had sustained as a result.

"You blatantly disregarded my orders and took the Churchill on a personal crusade to find Commander Clarke. It is simply unacceptable"  Preson continued

"Yes, sir"  Cortez nodded. He wasn't going to win this one.  "I take full responsibility."

Preston sighed, as there was something else on his mind.

"And if it were up to me, you would be relived of command immediately..."  His voice trailed off in thought, "Unfortunately, there is nobody to replace you or I would."

Cortez took a deep breath. He had got off lucky on this one and he knew it.

"But I'm telling you, Commander. One more slip up like that...-"

"Yes, sir"  Cortez shot back. "You don't have to tell me twice"

With a few more nods of understanding, the meeting was finally over, much to Cortez' delight. He had a new mission to prepare for and was glad he didn't have to worry about keeping his position, a position he had only recently attained.

Kale Bridges

Quote from: Mike Cortez on November 26, 2011, 11:52:57 AM

MISSION START: November 26th, 2011

"I'm sorry, Commander, but I will be placing a formal reprimand in your service record"

Admiral Preston was a difficult and obtuse man to be around, but Cortez knew he had a point. He had disobeyed orders and got the Churchill into a firefight it was ill-equipped to handle. Not to mention the casualties they had sustained as a result.

"You blatantly disregarded my orders and took the Churchill on a personal crusade to find Commander Clarke. It is simply unacceptable"  Preson continued

"Yes, sir"  Cortez nodded. He wasn't going to win this one.  "I take full responsibility."

Preston sighed, as there was something else on his mind.

"And if it were up to me, you would be relived of command immediately..."  His voice trailed off in thought, "Unfortunately, there is nobody to replace you or I would."

Cortez took a deep breath. He had got off lucky on this one and he knew it.

"But I'm telling you, Commander. One more slip up like that...-"

"Yes, sir"  Cortez shot back. "You don't have to tell me twice"

With a few more nods of understanding, the meeting was finally over, much to Cortez' delight. He had a new mission to prepare for and was glad he didn't have to worry about keeping his position, a position he had only recently attained.

Reece was stood at the Tactical Station waiting for another officer to arrive. He had finished the reports necessary, and had also sent a report to Starfleet. It was probably the report that was sent to the Admiral. The same one that was currently flogging Cortez.

He felt bad about having to submit that report, but it was protocol. And it was on the ships record that he was going to write a report over it.

"Crewman." Reece called to a young lad, "How is the resupply doing?"

"We're almost done, sir. It won't be long now."

Reece stepped away from the console and headed over and sat in his chair at the XO's station.

Formerly Reece Thompson
PokemonGo - TEAM MYSTIC

OctalLord

Quote from: Reece Thompson on November 26, 2011, 12:29:47 PM

Reece was stood at the Tactical Station waiting for another officer to arrive. He had finished the reports necessary, and had also sent a report to Starfleet. It was probably the report that was sent to the Admiral. The same one that was currently flogging Cortez.

He felt bad about having to submit that report, but it was protocol. And it was on the ships record that he was going to write a report over it.

"Crewman." Reece called to a young lad, "How is the resupply doing?"

"We're almost done, sir. It won't be long now."

Reece stepped away from the console and headed over and sat in his chair at the XO's station.

The doors to the turbolift 'wisshed' open, but as they did the occupant didn't immeditly step out. Instead a head leaned over glancing towards the security consoles. He watched Reece as he walked back to the center of the room.

A grin appeared on his face and he proceeded out the door. "Ah good, Masters isn't on deck yet. I wanted to get at the primary console before he did." He commented to the room. "I'll tell you he may have commands permission but this is My job." 

Kale Bridges

Quote from: Octavius Mirwald on November 26, 2011, 01:23:56 PM

The doors to the turbolift 'wisshed' open, but as they did the occupant didn't immeditly step out. Instead a head leaned over glancing towards the security consoles. He watched Reece as he walked back to the center of the room.

A grin appeared on his face and he proceeded out the door. "Ah good, Masters isn't on deck yet. I wanted to get at the primary console before he did." He commented to the room. "I'll tell you he may have commands permission but this is My job."

Reece sighed and *facepalmed*.

"Thank you for reminding me Octavius. I still need to see you and Mr Masters." He said. "I'd like to get it over and done with before the Captain's back. Let's go to my office."

Reece stood up and headed to the Turbolift with a smile. "Come along lad."

=/\= Thompson to Masters. Please meet me in my office. Thank you. =/\=

Reece stopped at the turbolift and allowed the doors to open. "Mirwald." He said with a grin.

Formerly Reece Thompson
PokemonGo - TEAM MYSTIC

Lance Krol

Lieutenant Junior Grade Lance Krol stepped away from his console and slowly walked towards the door of the engineering department. It opened before him, twin slabs of metal sliding apart with a sound not unlike earth shifting. Calmly proceeding down the hallway, he reflected on what he did to get into his position.

Admittedly, it was a good one on paper. In three or four months he had risen from ensign to acting lieutenant to lieutenant junior grade. A series of casualties and horrible events had left most senior officers dead, and the ones that were left deferred to him, no matter their seniority, because whatever had happened before he had pulled them out of it. In a way, he already led the engineers of this ship. The sheer implications alone were depressing to him, though. He no longer had any friends - only disciples.
In a way, he was closer to God than ever before. As much as he was loved, no man on this ship considered him their friend. Was this how Jesus felt? Did he ever confide in his followers? Truly, this must have been how Solomon or Gilgamesh felt, mighty destroyers of worlds who were never loved, only feared, respected, hated. Krol didn't know why he felt so badly about his situation. Only good had come of his skill with machines and his detachment from emotional constraints. But as much as he avoided people before, he missed them now that he was apart from them.
He stepped out of the turbolift which he didn't remember entering and quietly stepped to his quarters. His officer's quarters. The doors parted like two tombstone slabs sliding apart before him.
Lance looked around his room. The military-grade tricorder he had gone to such lengths to get, in his days as a student, lay on a shelf. His phaser, issued in the second week of his training and never once used in anger, sat next to it. The rest of his possessions were reference texts or practical, everyday things, but these two wonders were significant to him. One represented his past.
The other, his future.
With shaking hands, Lance reached for the phaser. He didn't remember crossing the floor, but what he did with the weapon in his hand stayed with him forever. He set the weapon to 'vaporize' - he didn't care if it ran out of battery, he wouldn't be using it again. Ever again.
Let's play a little game, shall we? Lance thought to himself. If someone calls on you before I pull this trigger, you live your life.
He held the gun's phaser dome to his temple, his hand now completely steady. His hand squeezed the trigger. He stood there, half-hoping he would be allowed to die and never have to live with his own absurd situation again, and half hoping someone would call on him.
Lieutenant Junior Grade Lance Krol waited for something to happen, in the silence of his own room. Still, nobody called.
Then his alarm pinged.
Shift time.
His face never moved, his lips never formed a word as he put the phaser back on the shelf and switched it off. Five minutes later, he walked into the bridge, face as impassive as it always was.
Guess I'll have to live with being Gilgamesh for another day, he joked to himself, grimly. He tried not to look anyone in the eye.

OctalLord

Quote from: Reece Thompson on November 26, 2011, 02:09:09 PM

"Thank you for reminding me Octavius. I still need to see you and Mr Masters." He said. "I'd like to get it over and done with before the Captain's back. Let's go to my office."

Reece stopped at the turbolift and allowed the doors to open. "Mirwald." He said with a grin.

Octavius gaped, "But... I.. Why should..." He couldn't tell Reece no, he actually liked Reece. "Darn you. I'm coming." Octavius slouched off his chair and followed Reece into the turbolift, head drooping. "Hello Krol." He said with a sigh as the officer came off the lift past him. "I still don't see how some Betazoid fresh out the acadamy warrents all this trouble."

ThomasRiker

Quote from: Reece Thompson on November 26, 2011, 02:09:09 PM

Tobias was enjoying the down time. He had time that he could do his normal workouts, and not worry about his duty shift. He had already finished four hours going through the Klingon training program he had brought when he transfered onto the ship. Currently he was doing his eight set of a hundred pushups, getting to the last one, and enjoying the burn he could feel in his arms. He stood up and took a moment to look in the mirror, He may be on a ship now, but he would never let himself loose the definition in his arms, nor his ripped stomach. He didn't mean it in a vain way, but he liked it, and his wife loved it.

He took a moment to wrest before moving on, wiping his forhead and drinking a couple sips of water, and was just ready to go for his run when the comm chimmed. "Great" he said aloud. "Masters Here"

=/\= Aye Sir =/\=

What now, he wasn't even on duty! Using that fact to his advantage, he didn't put on a uniform, he would finish his workout when he returned. He put on a tank top, which his perspiration quickly soaked through. He went to what was his office for about half a day and pushed the button to let Reece know he was out here.

Kale Bridges

Quote from: Octavius Mirwald on November 26, 2011, 04:13:40 PM

Octavius gaped, "But... I.. Why should..." He couldn't tell Reece no, he actually liked Reece. "Darn you. I'm coming." Octavius slouched off his chair and followed Reece into the turbolift, head drooping. "Hello Krol." He said with a sigh as the officer came off the lift past him. "I still don't see how some Betazoid fresh out the acadamy warrents all this trouble."

Reece gave a brisk nod to Krol. "Good day. And congratulations Lieutenant. I figured that wouldn't take long." He said ushering Mirwald into the lift. "I'll congratulate you properly later. I have some business to attend to."

As the doors shut Reece sent the lift to the appropriate deck and led Mirwald to the office.

Quote from: Tobias Masters on November 26, 2011, 04:55:46 PM

He took a moment to wrest before moving on, wiping his forhead and drinking a couple sips of water, and was just ready to go for his run when the comm chimmed. "Great" he said aloud. "Masters Here"

=/\= Aye Sir =/\=

What now, he wasn't even on duty! Using that fact to his advantage, he didn't put on a uniform, he would finish his workout when he returned. He put on a tank top, which his perspiration quickly soaked through. He went to what was his office for about half a day and pushed the button to let Reece know he was out here.

Reece walked over to the door and opened it. Seeing Masters stood there Reece smiled.

"Come in Ensign." He said, moving away to a small cabinet. He opened the cabinet and took a bottle of Synthahol and a small glass. He poured a small whiskey for himself and put the bottle back away.

"Take a seat, both of you." He said moving and sitting on his desk pulling a PADD. He set the PADD to record what was said and placed it on the desk.

Waiting until they were both seated and at least looking comfortable, Reece took a sip of whiskey and began.

"Ensign Tobias Masters, Petty Officer 1st Class Octavius Mirwald. Would either of you two like to tell me that your problem is with one another?"

Formerly Reece Thompson
PokemonGo - TEAM MYSTIC

ThomasRiker

Quote from: Reece Thompson on November 26, 2011, 05:10:54 PM

Reece gave a brisk nod to Krol. "Good day. And congratulations Lieutenant. I figured that wouldn't take long." He said ushering Mirwald into the lift. "I'll congratulate you properly later. I have some business to attend to."

As the doors shut Reece sent the lift to the appropriate deck and led Mirwald to the office.

Reece walked over to the door and opened it. Seeing Masters stood there Reece smiled.

"Come in Ensign." He said, moving away to a small cabinet. He opened the cabinet and took a bottle of Synthahol and a small glass. He poured a small whiskey for himself and put the bottle back away.

"Take a seat, both of you." He said moving and sitting on his desk pulling a PADD. He set the PADD to record what was said and placed it on the desk.

Waiting until they were both seated and at least looking comfortable, Reece took a sip of whiskey and began.

"Ensign Tobias Masters, Petty Officer 1st Class Octavius Mirwald. Would either of you two like to tell me that your problem is with one another?"

"I don't know what you are talking about sir, as far as I am concerned, Mr. Mirwald is a fine member of the crew and fulfilling his duties in a way befitting a Starfleet member. He preforms his duties adequately and if I may say so myself, is very good at following orders." He told Lt. Thompson. He looked over at Mirwald. "Do you know what he is talking about?"

Taras Cadenza

Father...

Taras Cadenza stood silently against the door of his quarters. His jacket was hanging off him loosely, as he slowly banged his head against the wall. His emotions were playing havoc with his mind once again.

He couldn't stop himself from having the thoughts. The thoughts that constantly haunted him every time he went to sleep.

The thoughts of Mika Cadenza.

His father.

His dear, dear father.

Taras sighed to himself as he placed his head against the wall a final time.

One day... I will find you. I know that sounds... generic and clichéd... but... I will. Even if it's just your body... I will see you once more.

A few minutes later, he had gathered enough mental ball bearings to finally exit his quarters.

He made his way to the bridge. The trip seemed to take hours, when in reality, it took merely moments - 4 minutes and 24 seconds to be precise.

The turbolift doors opened for Taras to step out. He brushed a hand through his hair, before noticing the newly-promoted Lt. JG Lance Krol. He smiled softly, before walking over to congratulate him. Of which he initiated by tapping his hand on the Lieutenant's shoulder.

"Welcome to the Junior Grade Lieutenant club, Mr. Krol. That one stage in an officer's career in which we can finally have direct authority over someone." he stated, smiling.

Lance Krol

Quote from: Taras Cadenza on November 26, 2011, 06:20:53 PM

Father...

Taras Cadenza stood silently against the door of his quarters. His jacket was hanging off him loosely, as he slowly banged his head against the wall. His emotions were playing havoc with his mind once again.
He couldn't stop himself from having the thoughts. The thoughts that constantly haunted him every time he went to sleep.
The thoughts of Mika Cadenza.
His father.
His dear, dear father.
Taras sighed to himself as he placed his head against the wall a final time.
One day... I will find you. I know that sounds... generic and clichéd... but... I will. Even if it's just your body... I will see you once more.
A few minutes later, he had gathered enough mental ball bearings to finally exit his quarters.
He made his way to the bridge. The trip seemed to take hours, when in reality, it took merely moments - 4 minutes and 24 seconds to be precise.
The turbolift doors opened for Taras to step out. He brushed a hand through his hair, before noticing the newly-promoted Lt. JG Lance Krol. He smiled softly, before walking over to congratulate him. Of which he initiated by tapping his hand on the Lieutenant's shoulder.
"Welcome to the Junior Grade Lieutenant club, Mr. Krol. That one stage in an officer's career in which we can finally have direct authority over someone." he stated, smiling.

Krol flinched at the tap. He couldn't help it - he'd never gotten used to suddenly being tapped or called at. It was far simpler to be informed that the person was there over a long distance - see them from the other end of a hallway, perhaps.

"Mr. Cadenza," he greeted his new peer in his scottish-tinted monotone voice.
Finally have direct authority...
Krol had authority, and only someone even more socially blind than he was could see that. He'd gone from a bright nobody to a messiah-like legend in his department. He could tell an ensign to jump and they'd do it, all jokes aside, without even asking why afterward.
Still, he mused, it's better than what life I had left on Earth.

He turned to the lieutenant's smiling gaze and smiled briefly before turning to his console. "So how are you?" he queried, eager to get the encroaching pleasantries over with. The sensor telemetry was particularly boring today; not even a supernova to watch in his mind, and the ship never did anything interesting on normal days.

OctalLord

Quote from: Tobias Masters on November 26, 2011, 05:38:32 PM

"I don't know what you are talking about sir, as far as I am concerned, Mr. Mirwald is a fine member of the crew and fulfilling his duties in a way befitting a Starfleet member. He preforms his duties adequately and if I may say so myself, is very good at following orders." He told Lt. Thompson. He looked over at Mirwald. "Do you know what he is talking about?"

Octavius reeled from Masters, considering he'd never seen the betazoid out of uniform. It wasn't particularly hard to notice the smell. He hoped that was just the wet clothing he had chosen to wear for some reason. "Well, to being with it's just that. I recognize his rank, and his position as an enlisted member of the fleet. But since he came aboard he's proven a rival to me."

Octavius began to note on his fingers.  "Ignoring my seniority on this ship, and my active participation of Starfleet endevors," He struggled to find a third, after a moments pause he added. "And generally being a pain in my rear since he arrived. I feel like I've been handed an opponent to fight with for attention and authority and not a second staff member to help ease the load that appeared with your acting promotion to XO out of the Security center."

ThomasRiker

Quote from: Octavius Mirwald on November 27, 2011, 11:36:47 AM

Octavius reeled from Masters, considering he'd never seen the betazoid out of uniform. It wasn't particularly hard to notice the smell. He hoped that was just the wet clothing he had chosen to wear for some reason. "Well, to being with it's just that. I recognize his rank, and his position as an enlisted member of the fleet. But since he came aboard he's proven a rival to me."

Octavius began to note on his fingers.  "Ignoring my seniority on this ship, and my active participation of Starfleet endevors," He struggled to find a third, after a moments pause he added. "And generally being a pain in my rear since he arrived. I feel like I've been handed an opponent to fight with for attention and authority and not a second staff member to help ease the load that appeared with your acting promotion to XO out of the Security center."

"Well, allow me to add something here if you don't mind, sir." He said, looking at Lt. Reece. "I thought I could avoid bringing this to light, but as some things have been said about me, I must speak. You will find in your desk, an unfiled report about Mr. Mirwald, one that I didn't want to turn on. Let me say that I have the upmost respect for enlisted members. Many of them, the Mr. Mirwald here included, have had years of experiennce that I hope to get to by the end of my career, but experience aside, I am technically his superior. When I first came to the ship, I was acting Security Chief. As a department head, I was trying to rely on the Chief's experience to aide me getting me into the post, and was immediately met with hostility. I had hoped to remedy this without going to superiors, but since the Chief apparently didn't learn during his tenure how to keep his mouth shut and has so uncandidly given his grievances, I would be happy to hear your recommendations Lieutenant"

Kale Bridges

Quote from: Tobias Masters on November 27, 2011, 12:34:56 PM

"Well, allow me to add something here if you don't mind, sir." He said, looking at Lt. Reece. "I thought I could avoid bringing this to light, but as some things have been said about me, I must speak. You will find in your desk, an unfiled report about Mr. Mirwald, one that I didn't want to turn on. Let me say that I have the upmost respect for enlisted members. Many of them, the Mr. Mirwald here included, have had years of experiennce that I hope to get to by the end of my career, but experience aside, I am technically his superior. When I first came to the ship, I was acting Security Chief. As a department head, I was trying to rely on the Chief's experience to aide me getting me into the post, and was immediately met with hostility. I had hoped to remedy this without going to superiors, but since the Chief apparently didn't learn during his tenure how to keep his mouth shut and has so uncandidly given his grievances, I would be happy to hear your recommendations Lieutenant"

"Enough!" Reece stopped them before they started.

"Mr Mirwald, I understand your experience on this ship and especially in this task force is invaluable. I have served with you for a lot of it and I do place a lot of respect on your suggestions. However, Mr Masters is right. Not only is he a superior, but he's new to this task force and this ship.
Mr Masters however though, I get the feeling that you yourself haven't done a great deal to ease the situation. The conduct between the two of you on the pirate planet and when we returned was not what I have come to expect from two valued officers of the fleet. Your petty squabbling is tiresome at best and you constantly try to one up each other. If I see any more of it on duty, I'll put reprimands in both of your files. Save the competition for your off-time."

Reece stopped the recording of the PADD and took another sip of his whiskey. "Now, as long as this stops here, I'll think nothing more of it, but if you two can't be trusted to work effectively, I'll be forced to finish this report, and file it."
With that, Reece opened his desk and threw the PADD in.

"Off the record of course," Reece started once more, "Why do you feel you were handed a rival, Mirwald?" I'll admit, I wasn't here when he first came aboard because I was with the convoy, but what did Mr Masters do to offend you so quickly?
You don't have to answer, I am simply curious." Reece asked taking the final sip and draining the glass.

Formerly Reece Thompson
PokemonGo - TEAM MYSTIC

Taras Cadenza

Quote from: Lance Krol on November 26, 2011, 07:22:53 PM

Krol flinched at the tap. He couldn't help it - he'd never gotten used to suddenly being tapped or called at. It was far simpler to be informed that the person was there over a long distance - see them from the other end of a hallway, perhaps.

"Mr. Cadenza," he greeted his new peer in his scottish-tinted monotone voice.
Finally have direct authority...
Krol had authority, and only someone even more socially blind than he was could see that. He'd gone from a bright nobody to a messiah-like legend in his department. He could tell an ensign to jump and they'd do it, all jokes aside, without even asking why afterward.
Still, he mused, it's better than what life I had left on Earth.

He turned to the lieutenant's smiling gaze and smiled briefly before turning to his console. "So how are you?" he queried, eager to get the encroaching pleasantries over with. The sensor telemetry was particularly boring today; not even a supernova to watch in his mind, and the ship never did anything interesting on normal days.

Taras noted the briskness of his equally ranked comrade from another department. He considered telling Krol to lighten up, but decided against it, to point of which he almost slapped himself in the face for even thinking it.

He put his hands behind his back, trying to think of something useful to say in this situation.

"Not too bad. I suppose. Considering the current situation. What with Cortez having his butt handed to him by the Admiral, and the Captain still lost in the hands of the pirates." he stated, his face betraying his concern. "My, my... it is certainly an interesting situation... wouldn't you agree?"

🡱 🡳

RPG-D Sci-Fi Avatars RPG Initiative RPGfix RPG Initiative Fodlan Chronicles

Star Trek and all related marks, logos and characters are solely owned by CBS Studios Inc. This fan production is not endorsed by, sponsored by, nor affiliated with CBS, Paramount Pictures, or any other Star Trek franchise, and is a non-commercial fan-made film intended for recreational use. No commercial exhibition or distribution is permitted. No alleged independent rights will be asserted against CBS or Paramount Pictures.