Author Topic: Season 1, Mission 04: Lurking Beneath  (Read 32732 times)

ThomasRiker

Re: Season 1, Mission 04: Lurking Beneath
« Reply #15 on: October 14, 2011, 06:38:08 pm »

Octavius grimace turned to a smirk, as he sat down. Enjoying his momentary victory in getting the new blood to not meet his gaze. Even if he didn't want to share the authority of his position. He decided he to let the subject change.

"Fine then, here's the situation as it is. The previous person in your position is currently acting XO and the XO is acting captain. These things I hope that you know." Octavius wasn't going to become entirely amiable just yet. "What you may not know is that many of the crew around aren't happy with the way things are. Especially those that are in positions they're not trained for, and missing staff that are only now after several months service are being replaced. Like with you."

Octavius leaned back, templing his fingers in front of him. "So Officer Masters. What do you think of the situation. Do tell me that you were taught a special solution to a specific situation like this? With your being fresh out of the academy I'm sure the best information is available. Sir..."
Christ,I've started to blabber about PaPA... I've gotta get back onto topic...

OctalLord

« Reply #16 on: October 14, 2011, 06:50:25 pm »
“Let me tell you about my grandfather. He was enlisted, matter of fact, senior enlisted and stationed on the bridge. One day while the ship he served on was flying through space it was attacked. Almost the entire command crew were killed. Him, an enlisted crewmen, was forced to command the ship. He ended up getting the ship out of there without losing more lives. I have a lot of respect for enlisted. I would like for us to work together. I may wear a pip on my collar, but I know that you have lived the life on board for a long time. Perhaps we can now work as a team. Security for the time being is ours.”

Tobias leaned backÂ…Christ,IÂ’ve started to blabber about PaPAÂ… IÂ’ve gotta get back onto topicÂ…  “Lets begin with the missing crew that no one seems to care about.”

"Story of this ship." Octavius said, inside he was groaning. So much for relevant details. "I was trying to investigate this when someone interrupted me and or acting CO in talking about that. Before you arrived he hid out for three days before I finally got him out of his room. I don't know where he is now but hey, at least you got your report. HA!" He laughed a laugh which wasn't kind nor needed. It still stung. A red flag went up in Octavius' head as he did it though. He was being redundantly rude and especially after this new Officer was only trying to help.

"If you wanted to give it a try." He added. "I'm sure you could track him down again and push the matter further. Tact wouldn't allow me to, but with your advanced position you might get somewhere."

ThomasRiker

« Reply #17 on: October 14, 2011, 07:05:21 pm »

"Story of this ship." Octavius said, inside he was groaning. So much for relevant details. "I was trying to investigate this when someone interrupted me and or acting CO in talking about that. Before you arrived he hid out for three days before I finally got him out of his room. I don't know where he is now but hey, at least you got your report. HA!" He laughed a laugh which wasn't kind nor needed. It still stung. A red flag went up in Octavius' head as he did it though. He was being redundantly rude and especially after this new Officer was only trying to help.

"If you wanted to give it a try." He added. "I'm sure you could track him down again and push the matter further. Tact wouldn't allow me to, but with your advanced position you might get somewhere."

OctalLord

« Reply #18 on: October 14, 2011, 07:14:37 pm »

Tobias swallowed his frustration so that he could get a read on the man sitting in front of him. He realized this wasn’t the topic he wanted to discuss, so much frustration, out poring at Tobias, but not because of him, a frustration that has been building. “I think you need to see a coun… sorry… Didn’t mean to blurt that like that, I just get a lot of frustration from you. You are the experienced member here, so why don’t you run the meeting and help me get up to speed, then we can form an action plan.” Tobias said, hoping his slip wouldn’t set the man off again.

Octavius squinted as his mind ran over the next several courses of action he could take, many of them would have him court-martialed. "I.." He began. Cutting himself off before he said something he'd really regret. "It's all in the report you'll see sir. You're right too... I need to be elsewhere."

He stood and saluted, quickly leaving the room in a rush. As the door opened he almost walked Cadenza standing to one side expectently. "Hello Mr. Cadenza" He began with a sigh "I suppose it can't be helped. The news will spread from here. Can I help you?"

Offline Taras Cadenza

• Shadow Fleet Reserves
  • Experienced Member
  • Awarded to players on completion of 10 years service with the fleet. Awarded in January 2012 to all active members. Awarded in January to the player with the best academy course. Awarded in January and July by the FCO to crew of the most active SIMM. Awarded in January and July by the FCO to crew of the most organized SIMM.
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #19 on: October 14, 2011, 07:23:03 pm »

Octavius squinted as his mind ran over the next several courses of action he could take, many of them would have him court-martialed. "I.." He began. Cutting himself off before he said something he'd really regret. "It's all in the report you'll see sir. You're right too... I need to be elsewhere."

He stood and saluted, quickly leaving the room in a rush. As the door opened he almost walked Cadenza standing to one side expectently. "Hello Mr. Cadenza" He began with a sigh "I suppose it can't be helped. The news will spread from here. Can I help you?"

"Well..." began Taras. He looked at Octavius, narrowing his eyebrows. "Well, I saw you dashing into your... well... this office. It's not true is it...? You've been exchanged as chief just because he's commissioned...?" he asked, his expression that of confusion and of expectant disappointment. 

"If so, I will have words with Commander Cortez myself on your behalf."

OctalLord

« Reply #20 on: October 14, 2011, 07:36:46 pm »
"Well..." began Taras. He looked at Octavius, narrowing his eyebrows. "Well, I saw you dashing into your... well... this office. It's not true is it...? You've been exchanged as chief just because he's commissioned...?" he asked, his expression that of confusion and of expectant disappointment.

"If so, I will have words with Commander Cortez myself on your behalf."

Octavius for the second  time ran his fingers through his hair, Candenzas humor calmed him some. "Leutenant. It is indeed true, I've been replaced but it's alright. As far as I can tell though it won't be so bad. At least now I can spend more time on the bridge with you guys. Come on." He turned and began making his way to the turbolift so he could get to the bridge and help get things moving. "Don't sweat the Commander though, he's got enough on his plate."

Offline Taras Cadenza

• Shadow Fleet Reserves
  • Experienced Member
  • Awarded to players on completion of 10 years service with the fleet. Awarded in January 2012 to all active members. Awarded in January to the player with the best academy course. Awarded in January and July by the FCO to crew of the most active SIMM. Awarded in January and July by the FCO to crew of the most organized SIMM.
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #21 on: October 14, 2011, 07:45:19 pm »

Octavius for the second  time ran his fingers through his hair, Candenzas humor calmed him some. "Leutenant. It is indeed true, I've been replaced but it's alright. As far as I can tell though it won't be so bad. At least now I can spend more time on the bridge with you guys. Come on." He turned and began making his way to the turbolift so he could get to the bridge and help get things moving. "Don't sweat the Commander though, he's got enough on his plate."

Taras joined Octavius in the turbolift, standing next to him. "You may be right. Still, I'm not sure. He hasn't been with Starfleet as long as you have. Personally, in these situations, with missing crewmembers and whatnot, experience should be seen as the most important factor." he stated to him. 

Taras then broke into a small smile. "Still... I'm rambling. You're most probably right. I'm probably just being paranoid. I'll still watch this guy like a hawk though." 

OctalLord

« Reply #22 on: October 14, 2011, 07:56:41 pm »
Taras joined Octavius in the turbolift, standing next to him. "You may be right. Still, I'm not sure. He hasn't been with Starfleet as long as you have. Personally, in these situations, with missing crewmembers and whatnot, experience should be seen as the most important factor." he stated to him.

Taras then broke into a small smile. "Still... I'm rambling. You're most probably right. I'm probably just being paranoid. I'll still watch this guy like a hawk though."

"Bridge." He said at the lift. "Oh yes no doubt. We've got to make sure he can keep up to our standard right?"  He laughed. "Can't let him show us up either. New blood is always nice and you're right. Experience counts for alot, so lets prove it in style."

ThomasRiker

« Reply #23 on: October 14, 2011, 09:54:33 pm »

Tobias sat at the desk wondering what an actual security chief would do in this situation. On one hand if he let it go, then he may have a chance of patching things up, but if he did that then the crew would see him as weak. A security chief cannot be seen as weak, it just doesn't work.

Not knowing what to do Tobias wrote up the events with Mr. Mirwald, covering both of their actions. He formated it as a disciplinary report, one addressed to the acting captain, but he marked it so that it would NOT be sent to the captain at this time. Tobias then began a short message to Mr. Mirwald:

"Chief Petty Officer Mirwald, please give your attention to the attached report. I have chronicalled your behavior towards an officer. I would also like you to notice I have detailed the actions that I took that by my own admission wre inappropriate and may have sparked some of the responses that I recieved from you. You will also see that this report has been marked as unsent, and I do not intend to send it at the present time. I want for us to get along. I want for us to work together and serve this crew to keep them safe." Tobias said in a calm and sincere tone.

"That being said" Tobias continued, now switching to a firm voice "You may have seniority, but I by definition out rank you. I will not tolerate this behavior any longer. I will no longer respond in kind, I will act my position and deal with you as an officer should. This report will be the first thing that I send should there be anymore outburts. I am not a hard man to get along with, I have read your service file, and I hope that I can count on you, but if not, I will do what I have to do. I will offer you two options, and only two options, negotiating time is over. the first, I will be in the mess every evening after duty shift is over, out of uniform and prepared to discuss our differences outside of our ranks, or two, you come to my office and we start over as if we have just met. It is your call, but the pettyness is OVER." Tobias said, putting a near dripping amount of venom in the last word.

He could only hope that the Petty officer would listen to the message around other crewmembers. he wanted this to be over, and he hated having to make such a macho move just to make a point.

"Computer send message and report to Mirwald, Octavious priority one" Tobias said. He spent the next hour reviewing mission reports and ship reports.

Offline Taras Cadenza

• Shadow Fleet Reserves
  • Experienced Member
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #24 on: October 15, 2011, 06:17:33 am »

"Bridge." He said at the lift. "Oh yes no doubt. We've got to make sure he can keep up to our standard right?"  He laughed. "Can't let him show us up either. New blood is always nice and you're right. Experience counts for alot, so lets prove it in style."

"Indeed." nodded Taras as the turbolift whirred its way up to the bridge. He adjusted the black and red collar of his uniform. "Let's hope he isn't too much trouble. I don't exactly want to assert my authority over him."

The turbolift doors opened, laying path to the busy, metallic bridge.

"Well, not yet anyway." he laughed, half-heartedly.

Lance Krol

« Reply #25 on: October 15, 2011, 07:44:13 am »
Krol finally decided his break was over. Time to bear the company of yet more crewmen. Leaving his console, the game won – barely – he quick marched to the turbolift, muttered 'bridge' and waited until the doors opened, snapped to attention and quick marched into the bridge. Sitting at the engineering console, as the senior officer on the ship, he waited for something – anything – to happen that just might be worth his time and skill set.

It was roughly at this time that the security officer and some random flight officer strolled into the bridge. Trying not to be recognized, he was still greeted with a call of "Hey, aren't you the guy who fixed that virus?" and a hand on his shoulder. Almost flinching, he turned and met the face of Taras Cadenza.

Offline Taras Cadenza

• Shadow Fleet Reserves
  • Experienced Member
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #26 on: October 15, 2011, 06:14:56 pm »
Krol finally decided his break was over. Time to bear the company of yet more crewmen. Leaving his console, the game won – barely – he quick marched to the turbolift, muttered 'bridge' and waited until the doors opened, snapped to attention and quick marched into the bridge. Sitting at the engineering console, as the senior officer on the ship, he waited for something – anything – to happen that just might be worth his time and skill set.

It was roughly at this time that the security officer and some random flight officer strolled into the bridge. Trying not to be recognized, he was still greeted with a call of "Hey, aren't you the guy who fixed that virus?" and a hand on his shoulder. Almost flinching, he turned and met the face of Taras Cadenza.

"I really must say, Mr. Krol, was it? Yes, you did a brilliant job. Fantastic even. You and Mr. Mirwald here make a superb team." Taras grinned broadly at the flinched officer. "And many congratulations on your new rank. Acting Lieutenant Junior Grade.  Well deserved." 

He patted Krol on the back, smiling. He walked over to the helm console, relieving the crewman there. Taras briefly looked around. 

There weren't any superior officers on the bridge. 

Again.

Hmm. Looks like I'm the duty officer again... closest thing I'll get to command in the next few years anyway. Ah well. he thought to himself, as he overlooked the ship's heading.

ThomasRiker

« Reply #27 on: October 15, 2011, 06:18:51 pm »
....He could only hope that the Petty officer would listen to the message around other crewmembers. he wanted this to be over, and he hated having to make such a macho move just to make a point.

"Computer send message and report to Mirwald, Octavious priority one" Tobias said. He spent the next hour reviewing mission reports and ship reports.

Tobias read over the reports of the Virus, not understanding how this could happen. First, the transporter security protocols should have picked up the extra bio-gel pack. They may be a contingent of ambassadors, but security, especially passive scans trump their level of immunity. And to what purpose was the attack. Yes the virus activated a channel displaying the ships location, but no ship ever came into range, and while annoying the Romulans are far from stupid... They had to know the signal would be noticed, so it would an enemy ship would have to be near by.

Tobias decided this was his priority now. =/\= "Masters to Chief Petty Officer Mirwald, belay my last message. We can deal with that later. Pleas meat me on Deck Four, I'll say at the bulk head, the one I am sure has no need to be labeled, even if it proves temporary, please take my olive branch, I want the ship safe as much as you do. Masters out" =/\=

Tobias pushed himself back from the desk and collected a couple items from the office mentally checking them off as he went. "Type II Phaser... check, Tricorder... check... Dermal Scanner.... check" Either they were dealing with one dumb Romulan or a Federation traitor was on board, and Masters wasn't about to let things get to the point of anyone getting hurt.

As he left the office he tapped his comm badge =/\="Ensign Masters To Lt. Krol, I am starting an investigation and i have need of your assistance. Could you please meet me as soon as you are free?" =/\= and with that Masters proceeded to the lift and to deck four.

Lance Krol

« Reply #28 on: October 15, 2011, 06:54:15 pm »
"I really must say, Mr. Krol, was it? Yes, you did a brilliant job. Fantastic even. You and Mr. Mirwald here make a superb team." Taras grinned broadly at the flinched officer. "And many congratulations on your new rank. Acting Lieutenant Junior Grade.  Well deserved."

He patted Krol on the back, smiling. He walked over to the helm console, relieving the crewman there. Taras briefly looked around.

Krol took a brief moment to unclench all his muscles and thank god he hadn't had to talk to that complete stranger. he was just about to turn back to his routine check when suddenly...

=/\="Ensign Masters To Lt. Krol, I am starting an investigation and i have need of your assistance. Could you please meet me as soon as you are free?" =/\=

Krol groaned inwardly. Naturally, if he kept the apparently paranoid new guy waiting he'd be on some kind of death list before the day was out. In any case, saying no wasn't his strong suit. He'd then have to explain why. And who knew, maybe this would be a challenge.

=/\=Krol to Masters=/\=

On my way, someone else can cover my job for now.

=/\=Krol Out=/\=

He jogged to a turbolift, making sure his own tricorder was there in his pocket. While everyone used the same set of federation-issued tricorders, he'd gone to great lengths when he was a civilian-sector engineer to get a military-grade tricorder for his own use. He wasn't about to give that up just because he had spares.

"Deck 4," he muttered.

Strolling out of the lift, he almost ran straight into the scary new Ensign, who gave him a somewhat distracted look, made to walk past him and then recognized his insignia and saluted. Then, probably without thinking, he kept walking towards that bulkhead Krol knew all too well. He decided not to let the new guy stumble too much, and called out as loudly as he dared.

"Excuse me, Mr Masters! You asked for me?"

Masters started and turned around. He certainly was scary - regular bodybuilder type, complete with that scary, chiselled jaw. Krol stood at six foot one - Masters was well beyond that mark. Krol stood his ground, attempting to act as confidently as his rank would imply he should to a subordinate, and waited for Tobias Masters to reply.
« Last Edit: October 15, 2011, 06:57:09 pm by Lance Krol »

ThomasRiker

« Reply #29 on: October 15, 2011, 07:17:25 pm »
Krol took a brief moment to unclench all his muscles and thank god he hadn't had to talk to that complete stranger. he was just about to turn back to his routine check when suddenly...

Krol groaned inwardly. Naturally, if he kept the apparently paranoid new guy waiting he'd be on some kind of death list before the day was out. In any case, saying no wasn't his strong suit. He'd then have to explain why. And who knew, maybe this would be a challenge.

=/\=Krol to Masters=/\=

On my way, someone else can cover my job for now.

=/\=Krol Out=/\=

He jogged to a turbolift, making sure his own tricorder was there in his pocket. While everyone used the same set of federation-issued tricorders, he'd gone to great lengths when he was a civilian-sector engineer to get a military-grade tricorder for his own use. He wasn't about to give that up just because he had spares.

"Deck 4," he muttered.

Strolling out of the lift, he almost ran straight into the scary new Ensign, who gave him a somewhat distracted look, made to walk past him and then recognized his insignia and saluted. Then, probably without thinking, he kept walking towards that bulkhead Krol knew all too well. He decided not to let the new guy stumble too much, and called out as loudly as he dared.

"Excuse me, Mr Masters! You asked for me?"

Masters started and turned around. He certainly was scary - regular bodybuilder type, complete with that scary, chiselled jaw. Krol stood at six foot one - Masters was well beyond that mark. Krol stood his ground, attempting to act as confidently as his rank would imply he should to a subordinate, and waited for Tobias Masters to reply.

"Thank you Sir for meeting me so quickly" Tobias noticed how uncomfortable his superior looked, hell, it is only natural... Two department heads so seperated in rand. Tobias continued "I have been reading the reports and I am concerned about a few things, I need your expertese to confirm or set my mind to ease. I know that the virus was a simple virus, but it was stil biological in nature. How could it get past the transporter sensors? Also.. Has an inventory been done on the gel packs, I am curious if one was stolen or if it was brought on. Bottom line I want to know where the infected one originated form, and if the harmonics indicate recent transport. I know I am piling it on to you Sir, and I know you can easily refuse, but I am making this part of an official security investigation."

Tobias took a couple steps towards the bulkhead noting that the exterior had been repaired of any signs of tampering. "Could you please assist me in analyzing the interior here more thoroughly? I don't see how a Romulan smart enough to do all of this is dumb enough to get caught so easily; and admit his involvement that fast."

Tobias didn't make a move for the panel yet, he wanted the opinion of an experienced crew member before going through with his possibly crazy idea, though he did stand blocking it for a moment to make it clear that his hesitation wasn't for Lt. Krol to do the grunt work.

RPG-D Sci-Fi Avatars RPG Initiative RPGfix RPG Initiative Fodlan Chronicles