Author Topic: Season 1, Mission 02: Trapped  (Read 26943 times)

cortez

Re: Season 1, Mission 02: Trapped
« Reply #15 on: July 12, 2011, 06:23:02 pm »
Reece turned to Julien. "As if on cue eh?" He grabbed the PADD and followed Mike to the Conference room.

Before Mike could start, as soon as Reece walked in he started up quickly, thinking it was important.

"Sir... Lieutenant Carter and I believe we have a way to counter the pirates jamming fields, although, we require someone skilled in OPS to look it over. I know that you were once an Ops officer, we were hoping you could look it over when you get the chance." He dropped the PADD onto the table and slid it over to the captain's chair.

"Apologies. What do you need sir?"

Cortez picked up the PADD from the table and gave it a once over. The theory seemed sound enough, but he would have to put it to one side for now. He had one more important issue to attend to.

"Lieutenant"  he began   "Admiral Kawolsky has placed me in command of the Churchill for the time being and since you're the second officer, you will naturally become my first officer. I need to know you're ready to handle this kind of responsibilty?"

Offline Kale Bridges

• Shadow Fleet Reserves
  • Applicant
  • Awarded to players on completion of 10 years service with the fleet. Awarded to any player present for the majority of the Solen arc in 2013. Awarded to the player whom the CO feels is worthy of recognition. Awarded to those who demonstrate an ability to convey the action of combat. Awarded to players who participate in a Spread the Word campaign.
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #16 on: July 12, 2011, 06:33:29 pm »
Cortez picked up the PADD from the table and gave it a once over. The theory seemed sound enough, but he would have to put it to one side for now. He had one more important issue to attend to.

"Lieutenant"  he began   "Admiral Kawolsky has placed me in command of the Churchill for the time being and since you're the second officer, you will naturally become my first officer. I need to know you're ready to handle this kind of responsibilty?"

"Yes sir." Reece said, snapping to attention. "Most certainly."

He paused for a second. First officer. One step closer... admittedly, this was but a temporary step... but he'd still get a good taste.

"Sir. I can still continue with my tactical duties right?"

Formerly Reece Thompson
PokemonGo - TEAM MYSTIC

Offline Alan Christopher

• Shadow Fleet Reserves
  • Chief Helm Officer, USS Discovery
  • Awarded to players on completion of 10 years service with the fleet. Awarded in January 2012 to all active members. Awarded to any player present for the majority of the B.O.R.G. Featured Mission:  The First Battle with the Borg: USS Valour Awarded to those who demonstrate an ability to convey the action of combat. Awarded in January and July by the FCO to crew of the most active SIMM.
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #17 on: July 12, 2011, 07:19:04 pm »
When the word had came through that the ship was departing soon, Alan was busting his pilots to get the shuttles ready for possible launch, as well as getting the Churchill's helm control back online. If they ran into any trouble again, he wanted her to be as manoeuvrable as possible.

OctalLord

« Reply #18 on: July 13, 2011, 01:09:07 am »
"Stand to!" Octavius shouted as he entered the assembly that counted as the weapons bay. He watched as the crewmen who manned the weaponry jumped up from where they had been sitting and stand at attention. It was good that their reaction times were sharp. He commented on this fact. "I expect this at all times, we've got an important mission ahead and you guys are going to be some of the most important men on this vessel."

He walked amongst them, looking into their faces as he passed. "Now, as you all know we're going back into deep space looking into a rumor and the pirates would seem to be involved. I know that this may cause some strife in you and let me tell you it's far too late to jump ship now. But!" Octavius stopped for effect. "But as long as we keep our wits about us and keep our station well maintained and ready for action. We will not lose a second time. This is our chance to redeem ourselves. Yourselves. Do the fleet proud men."

It was his second rousing speech he ever gave, in a way he felt that there wasn't enough flair to it. Remembering his days when the army was in session the higher ups could do that when they wanted to. He was also disappointed in himself that he didn't find a way to get the men to respond with a cheer. But he had concluded his speech and he couldn't think of anything on the spot that would draw such a response from them.

He saluted them as he rode the turbolift, as he rode away his mind nagged at him. Saying that these men weren't worth the effort. Considering the targeting systems and the command to fire was given on the bridge. He still felt that perhaps if he could get the crewman truly involved they might find a way to bolster the ship. Even with out a command to.

cortez

« Reply #19 on: July 13, 2011, 03:36:12 pm »
"Yes sir." Reece said, snapping to attention. "Most certainly."

He paused for a second. First officer. One step closer... admittedly, this was but a temporary step... but he'd still get a good taste.

"Sir. I can still continue with my tactical duties right?"

"Of course. In fact, I was going to ask that you do that. We're pretty short on personnel and I need everyone working to peak performance."

With that, Cortez stood from his chair as a sign the meeting was concluded. It was yet another trick he had picked up from his previous command officers.

"Lieutenant. Ready the ship for departure. We'll be leaving shortly"
« Last Edit: July 13, 2011, 03:36:44 pm by Mike Cortez »

Offline Kale Bridges

• Shadow Fleet Reserves
  • Applicant
  • Awarded to players on completion of 10 years service with the fleet. Awarded to any player present for the majority of the Solen arc in 2013. Awarded to the player whom the CO feels is worthy of recognition. Awarded to those who demonstrate an ability to convey the action of combat. Awarded to players who participate in a Spread the Word campaign.
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #20 on: July 13, 2011, 04:54:10 pm »
"Of course. In fact, I was going to ask that you do that. We're pretty short on personnel and I need everyone working to peak performance."

With that, Cortez stood from his chair as a sign the meeting was concluded. It was yet another trick he had picked up from his previous command officers.

"Lieutenant. Ready the ship for departure. We'll be leaving shortly"

"Aye sir." Reece said. He turned on his heel and walked out, taking his position back at tactical.

"Alright. All hands, stand by for departure." Reece announced over the comm.

He leant over to Julien, "I gave him the suggestion. Hard to tell if he approved or not... we'll find out if it comes to it though."
« Last Edit: July 15, 2011, 01:30:45 pm by Reece Thompson »

Formerly Reece Thompson
PokemonGo - TEAM MYSTIC

Offline Petr Hajek

• Suspended Account
  • Competent Member
  • Commissioned Officer
  • Awarded to players on completion of 10 years service with the fleet. Awarded to any player who writes the Post of the Month. Awarded to any player present during the special mission in August 2011.
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #21 on: July 13, 2011, 05:36:14 pm »
"Aye sir." Reece said. He turned on his heel and walked out, taking his position back at tactical.

He leant over to Julien, "I gave him the suggestion. Hard to tell if he approved or not... we'll find out if it comes to it though."

The science department was as ready as they were ever going to be but still the call readying all hands for imminent departure spiked a rush of adrenaline within Petr Hajek.  Never one for doing
nothing, the few days in spacedock had been eventful, what with the sensor modifications, and now
they were completed he had nothing to take his mind off the fate of their Captain.  He had no way
of knowing what their mission was going to be but he hoped it involved a rescue attempt for
Commander Clarke.  Starfleet always had the need for good men, and to assume they would just
leave one of their newest Captains stranded was unthinkable.

Lieutenant Danny Osorio had not been himself for the last two days, leaving most of the actual work to Petr and Teresa Beckwith.  Petr wondered if there was something troubling the Chief Science Officer, but although they had a very good working relationship Petr didn't feel he was in any position to try and elicit what may be personal information from the lieutenant.
« Last Edit: July 15, 2011, 08:28:24 am by Petr Hajek »

Offline Kale Bridges

• Shadow Fleet Reserves
  • Applicant
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #22 on: July 15, 2011, 01:36:04 pm »

Reece moved away from the console, and took the XO's seat. He turned the seat-console to face him. Green lights on all systems.

The Churchill was ready to depart.

=/\= Thompson to Commander Cortez. We're ready for launch. =/\=

He leant back in the chair, double checking the status reports...

Formerly Reece Thompson
PokemonGo - TEAM MYSTIC

Offline Petr Hajek

• Suspended Account
  • Competent Member
  • Commissioned Officer
  • Awarded to players on completion of 10 years service with the fleet. Awarded to any player who writes the Post of the Month. Awarded to any player present during the special mission in August 2011.
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #23 on: July 15, 2011, 04:26:32 pm »
Reece moved away from the console, and took the XO's seat. He turned the seat-console to face him. Green lights on all systems.

The Churchill was ready to depart.

=/\= Thompson to Commander Cortez. We're ready for launch. =/\=

He leant back in the chair, double checking the status reports...

The gentle hum of the turbolift was the only indication Petr Hajek had that he was moving at all; the acceleration and deceleration of the car being so precisely controlled.  The doors opened onto the bridge and Petr took his place at the science station and awaited departure.

cortez

« Reply #24 on: July 15, 2011, 05:04:59 pm »
The gentle hum of the turbolift was the only indication Petr Hajek had that he was moving at all; the acceleration and deceleration of the car being so precisely controlled.  The doors opened onto the bridge and Petr took his place at the science station and awaited departure.

"Acting Captain's Log, stardate 65538.0. It's been several hours since we left starbase and I'm growing increasingly nervous. The Golon System is a big place with lots of hiding places. It's going to be a long search. I just hope it isn't too long."

"Anything yet?"  Cortez asked, bursting onto the bridge from his makeshift office in the conference room.

He was growing impatient from the constant lack of sensor returns. Surely something as big as a station could be detected by their sophisticated sensor array? Though these pirates were inventive; if they wanted to hide, they would.

Offline Kale Bridges

• Shadow Fleet Reserves
  • Applicant
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #25 on: July 15, 2011, 05:45:44 pm »
"Acting Captain's Log, stardate 65538.0. It's been several hours since we left starbase and I'm growing increasingly nervous. The Golon System is a big place with lots of hiding places. It's going to be a long search. I just hope it isn't too long."

"Anything yet?"  Cortez asked, bursting onto the bridge from his makeshift office in the conference room.

He was growing impatient from the constant lack of sensor returns. Surely something as big as a station could be detected by their sophisticated sensor array? Though these pirates were inventive; if they wanted to hide, they would.

Reece checked his sensor reports.

"Negative sir. Scans are clear." he responded, "Im detecting a faint power signiture in the next sector though. It might be the pirate base. Heading, 312 mark 087."

Formerly Reece Thompson
PokemonGo - TEAM MYSTIC

cortez

« Reply #26 on: July 15, 2011, 06:02:16 pm »
Reece checked his sensor reports.

"Negative sir. Scans are clear." he responded, "Im detecting a faint power signiture in the next sector though. It might be the pirate base. Heading, 312 mark 087."

Cortez headed over to the tactical console and peered over the Lieutenant's shoulders at his sensor readings.

"No"  he said, bringing up a scan analysis  "See the signal degredation there? That wouldn't occur if these readings were being generated from that point."

He continued, bringing up a more detailed spectrographic analysis.

"My best guess is this signal has been relayed through a listening post or satelitte of some sort. If we go there, we'll only be walking into a trap. But it's a good start. Use a tricyclic scan and attempt to trace it back to it's origin. I'd bet five bars of latinum that it leads back to the station, Lieutenant."

Offline Petr Hajek

• Suspended Account
  • Competent Member
  • Commissioned Officer
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #27 on: July 16, 2011, 05:07:59 am »
Cortez headed over to the tactical console and peered over the Lieutenant's shoulders at his sensor readings.

"No"  he said, bringing up a scan analysis  "See the signal degredation there? That wouldn't occur if these readings were being generated from that point."

He continued, bringing up a more detailed spectrographic analysis.

"My best guess is this signal has been relayed through a listening post or satelitte of some sort. If we go there, we'll only be walking into a trap. But it's a good start. Use a tricyclic scan and attempt to trace it back to it's origin. I'd bet five bars of latinum that it leads back to the station, Lieutenant."

Hajek was concerned about the lack of a science officer on the bridge but decided to take the XO's request for sensor updates from tactical as Mister Cortez thinking from a security perspective as opposed to dismissing any assistance Petr may or may not be able to offer.

Petr knew what needed doing and set about getting the information the bridge officers would require.  He directed the lateral sensor arrays to conduct a full sweep in the hopes of identifying other vessels, whilst focussing the forward array to scan for much smaller objects that might be involved with the apparent redirection of the signal Cortez was currently suspicious of.

Within seconds his console was replete with data that he began to correlate and prioritise in order of importance.  The spectrographic analysis had provided no evidence of a significant physical presence to explain the signal characteristics, but the lateral sensors had received many bounces that the computer was still analysing.

"Sir, I took the liberty of conducting the scans to assist Lieutenant Thompson." Petr called out to all concerned.  "Long range three-sixty indicates various targets, none of immediate cause for concern...but I got the primary sensors to hit the apparent signal source, and it seems you're correct Sir."  With his thumb on the transfer node Petr touched two other controls to put the signals he was talking of into the temporary buffer, and with an easy double-tap of his thumb the data was received at both Tactical and the XO's display screens.  "If you look to your displays Sirs you'll see what appears to be the source of the signal...but if I bring the modified multiphase buffers online..."  Again Petr's fingers danced almost effortlessly over his console to achieve the desired result. With a final deliberate tap of one control he span his chair around to look at Mike Cortez. "You'll see that instead of a vessel...we have a much smaller object; my guess is a signal booster and relay, relaying the signal along with other readings designed to make us think there is a vessel there."

He knew the next piece of information was pure speculation on his part but if it was right or wrong was irrelevant, it was upto the officers to take it under advisement and act accordingly.

"Sir, I think we are being fed a dummy, as you too suggested, but it seems too easy a trick to identify.  The first logical thought would be to look to one or more of the various targets the long range sweep brought up...but don't fall into the same trap as I did before we made it back to spacedock.  Maybe they just want us to look there, when in fact they could be hiding in plain sight under our noses.  I'll scan for evidence of cloaked vessels too."

Offline Kale Bridges

• Shadow Fleet Reserves
  • Applicant
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #28 on: July 16, 2011, 09:12:19 am »
Reece listened to the proposals put forward.

"Sir, I recommend we launch a type 4 probe out there first. The sensors would highlight anything suspicious and it would stop us walking into a trap. It's quite a way, so I suggest we take a shuttle out their first, fire the probe, and relay the results back, otherwise we'll be here for hours waiting for the probe to enter position."

Formerly Reece Thompson
PokemonGo - TEAM MYSTIC

OctalLord

« Reply #29 on: July 16, 2011, 10:35:10 am »
Octavius sighed as he rode the turbolife back for the last time, he was late in finishing his sweep of the ships personal decks as the ship had already taken off. He was writing the last of the report  on his PADD as the door shished open and he stepped out onto the bridge.

Reece listened to the proposals put forward.

"Sir, I recommend we launch a type 4 probe out there first. The sensors would highlight anything suspicious and it would stop us walking into a trap. It's quite a way, so I suggest we take a shuttle out their first, fire the probe, and relay the results back, otherwise we'll be here for hours waiting for the probe to enter position."

Octavius took out his PADD and promptly began sending his report to Reeces console, looking up at his proposal he considered it a moment. After that he crossed his arms holding his PADD in one hand under his arm.

"Would you rather hours waiting for the probe or an hour waiting to see if the shuttle team gets blown to atoms by a heretofor unnoticed Bird of Prey? However I still agree for the neccesity." Octavius commented then stated. "We don't want another event like our last outing."
« Last Edit: July 16, 2011, 10:36:42 am by Octavius Mirwald »

RPG-D Sci-Fi Avatars RPG Initiative RPGfix RPG Initiative Fodlan Chronicles