Author Topic: Season 1, Mission 01: Forgotten  (Read 26819 times)

Offline Petr Hajek

• Suspended Account
  • Competent Member
  • Commissioned Officer
  • Awarded to players on completion of 10 years service with the fleet. Awarded to any player who writes the Post of the Month. Awarded to any player present during the special mission in August 2011.
    • View Profile
    • Awards
Re: Season 1, Mission 01: Forgotten
« Reply #30 on: June 22, 2011, 04:31:25 pm »
As Kawolsky was talking with Clarke and Cortez a significantly lighter conversation was taking place on deck eleven.

"I've read your files." Lieutenant Osorio said to his science personnel. "We've had the pleasure of serving together before of course." he added, looking at Ensign Beckwith.

"Indeed, Sir.  It's good to have the challenge of a new vessel and new people."  Teresa genuinely felt what she said but the comical grin on the chief's face suggested he didn't share that utopian ideal.  "Good grief, that sounded corny beyond belief." she coloured slightly.

"No! You're absolutely right, Ensign.  What do you say, Mister Hajek?"

Petr wondered what his response should best be to his new boss but in the end plumped for honesty.

"Frankly, Sir...the thought terrifies me."  He looked at the very contemplative face of Danny Osorio.

"Excuse me being so blunt, Crewman, but is this a side effect of your...condition?"

Petr knew the chief was referring to his empathic abilities that had emerged recently, which he was beginning to get a fine handle on.

"I don't understand, Chief." he had to ask.

"Because you can sense when others are being dishonest does that make you less inclined to lie in case your own deception might be as obvious?"  The chief raised a hand to quell Petr's explanation.  "Please...that was inexcusable of me.  I didn't mean to offend you.

"None taken, Sir..." Petr responded.  "...but if I may explain, for the benefit of Ensign Beckwith here, I am part Betazoid and am only just coming to terms with my ability to read people."  He looked at the brunette and offered what appeared to be an apologetic smile.

kawolsky

« Reply #31 on: June 22, 2011, 05:09:10 pm »
"How...unfortunate," Clarke said, trying to contain his annoyance. "Hopefully there isn't any evidence tying the High Council to the pirates. That might create a bit of a mess for their diplomats."

Trying to shift the tone of the conversation, Clarke followed up with, "So how soon can we expected on the border?"

Kawolsky remained standing behind the chair he once occupied. He had always preferred standing during meetings. In his experience, it somehow made them go much quicker.

"You'll be leaving at 0600 hours tomorrow."

He then slid across a data PADD that was occupying the corner of the table.

"This is all the sensor data we have received from our listening post in the area. It's not much, but hopefully it will give you an advantage."

Kawolsky began to make his way towards the exit. As he approached, the finely tuned sensors activated the doors and they swished open to reveal the hive of activity on the bridge behind him.

"Until then, I suggest you go over all of your systems...just in case those engineers were mistaken"

Smiling and gesturing a small nod to the two officers, Kawolsky turned to head out. He soon realized there was one thing left to say.

"And Commander...good luck out there"

With that, Kawolsky turned back and headed out onto the bridge towards to the turbolift. Now that everything was sorted on the Churchill, he had his own mission to perform.
« Last Edit: June 22, 2011, 07:04:52 pm by John Kawolsky »

cortez

« Reply #32 on: June 22, 2011, 05:12:09 pm »
Kawolsky remained standing behind the chair he once occupied. He had always preferred standing during meetings. In his experience, it somehow made them go much quicker.

"You'll be leaving at 0600 hours tomorrow."

He then slid across a data PADD that was occupying the corner of the table.

"This is all the sensor data we have received from our listening post in the area. It's not much, but hopefully it will give you an advantage."

Kawolsky began to make his way towards the exit. As he approached, the finely tuned sensors activated the doors and they swished open to reveal the hive of activity on the bridge behind him.

"Until then, I suggest you go over all of your systems...just in case those engineers were mistaken"

Smiling and gesturing a small nod to the two officers, Kawolsky turned to head out. He soon realized there was one thing left to say.

"And Commander...good luck out there"

As Kawolsky exited the briefing room, Cortez breathed a sigh of relief. He had served under Kawolsky for years but the guy always seemed to have an uncanny ability to make him feel nervous.

"Well, sir. It looks like we've got a lot of work ahead of us"

Offline Alexander Clarke

• Deceased/Retired
  • Awarded to players on completion of 10 years service with the fleet. Awarded to players in recognition of their recruitment efforts. Awarded in January 2012 to all active members. Awarded in January and July by the FCO to crew of the most organized SIMM. Awarded by the FCO to the CO who has shown the best leadership.
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #33 on: June 23, 2011, 12:29:49 am »
As Kawolsky exited the briefing room, Cortez breathed a sigh of relief. He had served under Kawolsky for years but the guy always seemed to have an uncanny ability to make him feel nervous.

"Well, sir. It looks like we've got a lot of work ahead of us"

"Indeed," said Clarke as he stood up and picked up Kawolsky's PADD. "Change of plans. Send the documents that need signing to my ready room now and notify the crew of our early departure. We have to tidy up whatever business we have left here before we leave. Hopefully our engineers can finish whatever the station didn't get to without difficulty."

As he made his way to the ready room--his ready room--Clarke added, "And tell Ensign Jacobs that her pickup will be delayed."

Offline David Webb

• Suspended Account
  • Probationer
  • Awarded to players on completion of 10 years service with the fleet.
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #34 on: June 23, 2011, 01:34:26 am »
Reece lowered his PADD and took another drink.

"Sir." A voice said."

Reece turned around and saw a crewman. He stood up. "Yes lad."

"Sir. I'm Crewman Jones. I'm in security team beta."

Reece looked back at his PADD. "Ah, Jones yes. What can I do you for?"

"Oh, it was nothing. I just wanted to introduce myself."

Reece smiled and chuckled.  "It's alright crewman. I'll be arranging meetings soon enough. You'll get your turn." He saw David Webb stood in the corner. "If you'll excuse me crewman."

The two men nodded and parted ways. Reece walked up to Webb.

"Crewman Webb. I recognize you from your record. What little there was of it." He said.

"Lt Thompson, I presume." Webb said softly.

Webb studied the man for a couple of moments.

"I've heard your a good officer."

Offline Kale Bridges

• Shadow Fleet Reserves
  • Applicant
  • Awarded to players on completion of 10 years service with the fleet. Awarded to any player present for the majority of the Solen arc in 2013. Awarded to the player whom the CO feels is worthy of recognition. Awarded to those who demonstrate an ability to convey the action of combat. Awarded to players who participate in a Spread the Word campaign.
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #35 on: June 23, 2011, 02:44:09 am »
"Lt Thompson, I presume." Webb said softly.

Webb studied the man for a couple of moments.

"I've heard your a good officer."

"Likewise." Reece responded with a smile.

He finished off his champagne flute and placed it to one side. "David. I'm going to be conducting interviews of my personnel, just to inform you. Due to your extremely limited record, there are going to be personal questions."

He waited a few seconds. "You can't get out of it."

Reece held up the PADD, "The only information I have on you is your service record. And, as amazing as it is, I still need to know about you."

"Anyway, on a lighter note, What do you think of the Churchill? Beautiful isn't she. Or she will be, once she's finished."

Formerly Reece Thompson
PokemonGo - TEAM MYSTIC

Offline David Webb

• Suspended Account
  • Probationer
  • Awarded to players on completion of 10 years service with the fleet.
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #36 on: June 23, 2011, 07:36:25 am »
"I don't expect to get out of it, but don't expect to get what your looking for, sir." Webb said bluntly, as he itched his chin.

"She's a good looking ship, sir, her specs look good, but I'll continue to be weary until she performs well in combat.  No good having a ship that looks good if she is going to falter the moment something is hurled her way, don't you think sir?" Webb said quietly as he glanced around.

It was tempting to see if he could get the Lieutenant drunk, who knows what he could find out if he impaired Thompson's senses. On the whole though, he doubted whether there was anything that would be of any importance for him.

"And is the crew up to the task sir?"

Offline Kale Bridges

• Shadow Fleet Reserves
  • Applicant
  • Awarded to players on completion of 10 years service with the fleet. Awarded to any player present for the majority of the Solen arc in 2013. Awarded to the player whom the CO feels is worthy of recognition. Awarded to those who demonstrate an ability to convey the action of combat. Awarded to players who participate in a Spread the Word campaign.
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #37 on: June 23, 2011, 08:26:34 am »
"I don't expect to get out of it, but don't expect to get what your looking for, sir." Webb said bluntly, as he itched his chin.

"She's a good looking ship, sir, her specs look good, but I'll continue to be weary until she performs well in combat.  No good having a ship that looks good if she is going to falter the moment something is hurled her way, don't you think sir?" Webb said quietly as he glanced around.

It was tempting to see if he could get the Lieutenant drunk, who knows what he could find out if he impaired Thompson's senses. On the whole though, he doubted whether there was anything that would be of any importance for him.

"And is the crew up to the task sir?"

"I agree with that." Reece said. "Don't want her being undefended. I'm sure the crew is up to it. We won't know until later though."

---"He's hiding something. His record is too short to even be legal."--- He thought to himself.

"Well," Reece said, "Enjoy the party." He turned and walked off, tapping away on his PADD.

Formerly Reece Thompson
PokemonGo - TEAM MYSTIC

cortez

« Reply #38 on: June 23, 2011, 10:57:17 am »
"Indeed," said Clarke as he stood up and picked up Kawolsky's PADD. "Change of plans. Send the documents that need signing to my ready room now and notify the crew of our early departure. We have to tidy up whatever business we have left here before we leave. Hopefully our engineers can finish whatever the station didn't get to without difficulty."

As he made his way to the ready room--his ready room--Clarke added, "And tell Ensign Jacobs that her pickup will be delayed."

"Aye, sir"  Cortez replied, with a smile.

Clarke headed out leaving Cortez with a moment ot reflect in the briefing room. When he joined Starfleet, he had never once imagined that he would be the first officer of an Intrepid class starship. He was determined to do his best and help Commander Clarke in any way he could.

Standing, he too headed out onto the bridge. He started heading for the operations console when he remembered his new role. Determined not to look stupid, he continued on his present course.

"Good work, Crewman"  he said, looking purposeful.

Now that his self-contained embarrassment was over, Cortez knew what he had to do. First things first; get the crew ready.

"First officer to all hands"  he said, tapping his com badge "There's been a change of plans. Starfleet has a new mission for us and we'll need to be ready. Engineering teams, please secure all systems prior to departure and all department heads please submit readiness reports to me within the hour. That is all."

Cortez took a brief, inaudible sigh as he closed the internal comm channel. All those times he has seen Captain - well...Admiral - Kawolsky give crew-wide addresses, he made it seem so easy. It wasn't.

Turning to a crewman who was occupying the tactical console, he instructed them to contact Ensign Jacobs and inform her of their delay before taking a step down to the Captain's ready room. He was just about to ress the door chime when he forgot something; his data PADD. He scanned around the bridge in an attempt to locate it when he remembered. He had placed it down in the first officer's chair before the meeting with the Admiral. He quickly grabbed it before heading back to the ready room and chiming the door.
« Last Edit: June 23, 2011, 10:58:59 am by Mike Cortez »

Offline Alexander Clarke

• Deceased/Retired
  • Awarded to players on completion of 10 years service with the fleet. Awarded to players in recognition of their recruitment efforts. Awarded in January 2012 to all active members. Awarded in January and July by the FCO to crew of the most organized SIMM. Awarded by the FCO to the CO who has shown the best leadership.
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #39 on: June 23, 2011, 01:51:32 pm »
"Aye, sir"  Cortez replied, with a smile.

Clarke headed out leaving Cortez with a moment ot reflect in the briefing room. When he joined Starfleet, he had never once imagined that he would be the first officer of an Intrepid class starship. He was determined to do his best and help Commander Clarke in any way he could.

Standing, he too headed out onto the bridge. He started heading for the operations console when he remembered his new role. Determined not to look stupid, he continued on his present course.

"Good work, Crewman"  he said, looking purposeful.

Now that his self-contained embarrassment was over, Cortez knew what he had to do. First things first; get the crew ready.

"First officer to all hands"  he said, tapping his com badge "There's been a change of plans. Starfleet has a new mission for us and we'll need to be ready. Engineering teams, please secure all systems prior to departure and all department heads please submit readiness reports to me within the hour. That is all."

Cortez took a brief, inaudible sigh as he closed the internal comm channel. All those times he has seen Captain - well...Admiral - Kawolsky give crew-wide addresses, he made it seem so easy. It wasn't.

Turning to a crewman who was occupying the tactical console, he instructed them to contact Ensign Jacobs and inform her of their delay before taking a step down to the Captain's ready room. He was just about to ress the door chime when he forgot something; his data PADD. He scanned around the bridge in an attempt to locate it when he remembered. He had placed it down in the first officer's chair before the meeting with the Admiral. He quickly grabbed it before heading back to the ready room and chiming the door.

Clarke had walked into his ready room with a feeling of apprehension. It was strange to think of this room as his, an entire ship as his. And yet here he was, the captain of his own starship, preparing to set out on its first mission. The chance of anything going well seemed slim--Clarke gave himself a small smile as he thought of Admiral Janeway's small detour during her first mission. Fortunately it seemed unlikely the pirates had the capabilities to throw the Churchill into the Delta Quadrant and Clarke would have the benefit of maps and data that Voyager had lacked.

Clarke walked over to the desk and placed the PADD containing the sensor data on it. As he moved to the other side of the desk where the chair was, Clarke lightly traced his fingers on desk's light gray surface. It was cool to the touch and unnervingly smooth, without a single scratch, bump, or any other imperfection on it. When he reached the chair, he carefully lowered himself into it, a tiny doubt of its existence gnawing at his mind. Relaxing into it, he adjusted it slightly to fit his body better and shifted it closer to the desk. The entire experience felt like a dream, with everything tangible but with a constant feeling that it would vanish in a moment.

Clarke finished settling and was preparing to start reading the PADD when the door chimed.

"Come in," said Clarke, sitting up in anticipation of his visitor.

cortez

« Reply #40 on: June 23, 2011, 02:01:11 pm »
Clarke had walked into his ready room with a feeling of apprehension. It was strange to think of this room as his, an entire ship as his. And yet here he was, the captain of his own starship, preparing to set out on its first mission. The chance of anything going well seemed slim--Clarke gave himself a small smile as he thought of Admiral Janeway's small detour during her first mission. Fortunately it seemed unlikely the pirates had the capabilities to throw the Churchill into the Delta Quadrant and Clarke would have the benefit of maps and data that Voyager had lacked.

Clarke walked over to the desk and placed the PADD containing the sensor data on it. As he moved to the other side of the desk where the chair was, Clarke lightly traced his fingers on desk's light gray surface. It was cool to the touch and unnervingly smooth, without a single scratch, bump, or any other imperfection on it. When he reached the chair, he carefully lowered himself into it, a tiny doubt of its existence gnawing at his mind. Relaxing into it, he adjusted it slightly to fit his body better and shifted it closer to the desk. The entire experience felt like a dream, with everything tangible but with a constant feeling that it would vanish in a moment.

Clarke finished settling and was preparing to start reading the PADD when the door chimed.

"Come in," said Clarke, sitting up in anticipation of his visitor.

The ready room doors slid open and in stepped Cortez.

"It's just me, sir"  he began  "I've got those reports that need your signature"

Cortez handed his new captain the data PADD across the polished desk.

"I've also instructed the engineering crew to check all systems prior to departure and asked department heads to submit readiness reports within the hour"

Offline Alexander Clarke

• Deceased/Retired
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #41 on: June 23, 2011, 03:31:04 pm »

"It's just me, sir"  he began  "I've got those reports that need your signature"

"I've also instructed the engineering crew to check all systems prior to departure and asked department heads to submit readiness reports within the hour"

"Hopefully these pirates will just surrender when we show up," Clarke said as he took the PADD from Cortez. He quickly read through the contents before using a stylus to sign it.

As Clarke gave the PADD back to Cortez, he said, "Notify me if anything unusual shows up in the reports and make sure you get a good night's rest later. Can't afford anything but everyone's best when we deal with these pirates. If there isn't anything else, you're dismissed."

Offline Petr Hajek

• Suspended Account
  • Competent Member
  • Commissioned Officer
  • Awarded to players on completion of 10 years service with the fleet. Awarded to any player who writes the Post of the Month. Awarded to any player present during the special mission in August 2011.
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #42 on: June 25, 2011, 02:51:34 am »

Danny Osorio had his people assembled in the less formal atmosphere of the aft lounge, and had been breaking the ice with them.  Although he was aware of a need for the strict chain of command he also wanted his people to know that off- the -record comments could be depended on to remain as such.

Their get together had been quite a success he felt but he knew Petr's recent past would be key in how the man adapted to the new ship and crew.

As soon as he heard the command for systems checks from engineering he knew he would need to collaborate with them, as they were partially responsible for sensor maintenance.

"Time to go, you good people." he said as he made his way to the lounge door.  "Let's see about making a good impression.  I shan't burden you both with sayings...well, except this one..." he shrugged, "...if you have a question, don't be afraid to ask it. And if you're asked for your opinion it's because it's valid.  Come on, let's do this."  Together they walked from the lounge and headed to the turbo lift.  Once the doors had closed the Chief Science Officer spoke.  "Deck four".  The lift accelerated quickly and smoothly.  "Ensign, I want you at deck two's sensor subsystems, and you Crewman, I need you to make your way to the forward sensor pallet subsystems.". As he said this the doors opened onto deck four.  He smiled at Petr.  "This is your stop.  Everything you'll need is at the station.  The systems work fine, we just need to calibrate and sync.  I'll coordinate from the Bridge.  Take your time, relax and follow my instructions."

Hajek walked out of the lift and in a few moments had found the SPS he was soon to be acquainted with.

Within the hour, together, they had calibrated and synchronised all major sensor systems and his readiness report was on a PADD in front of Lieutenant Commander Mike Cortez.
« Last Edit: June 25, 2011, 10:40:43 am by Petr Hajek »

cortez

« Reply #43 on: June 25, 2011, 10:51:52 am »
Danny Osorio had his people assembled in the less formal atmosphere of the aft lounge, and had been breaking the ice with them.  Although he was aware of a need for the strict chain of command he also wanted his people to know that off- the -record comments could be depended on to remain as such.

Their get together had been quite a success he felt but he knew Petr's recent past would be key in how the man adapted to the new ship and crew.

As soon as he heard the command for systems checks from engineering he knew he would need to collaborate with them, as they were partially responsible for sensor maintenance.

"Time to go, you good people." he said as he made his way to the lounge door.  "Let's see about making a good impression.  I shan't burden you both with sayings...well, except this one..." he shrugged, "...if you have a question, don't be afraid to ask it. And if you're asked for your opinion it's because it's valid.  Come on, let's do this."  Together they walked from the lounge and headed to the turbo lift.  Once the doors had closed the Chief Science Officer spoke.  "Deck four".  The lift accelerated quickly and smoothly.  "Ensign, I want you at deck two's sensor subsystems, and you Crewman, I need you to make your way to the forward sensor pallet subsystems.". As he said this the doors opened onto deck four.  He smiled at Petr.  "This is your stop.  Everything you'll need is at the station.  The systems work fine, we just need to calibrate and sync.  I'll coordinate from the Bridge.  Take your time, relax and follow my instructions."

Hajek walked out of the lift and in a few moments had found the SPS he was soon to be acquainted with.

Within the hour, together, they had calibrated and synchronised all major sensor systems and his readiness report was on a PADD in front of Lieutenant Commander Mike Cortez.

After leaving the Commander's office, Cortez had begun the boring yet important job of preparing the ship for it's maiden voyage. Sat on the bridge, he began going through the station engineering reports to satisfy himself they had check all systems. It was a brand new ship after all.

As he flicked onto the fifty-third page, he was greeted by a familiar looking science crewman. Cortez recognized him from somewhere but he just couldn't quite pin it down.

Deciding to say nothing for fear of embarrassment, Cortez simply took the PADD from the crewman, placing his engineering reports down beside him. After the few seconds it took him to flip through the science department's report, he too placed that down.

"Excellent, Crewman"  he said "The science department seems to be on top of things. Good work."

Offline Petr Hajek

• Suspended Account
  • Competent Member
  • Commissioned Officer
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #44 on: June 25, 2011, 12:12:38 pm »
After leaving the Commander's office, Cortez had begun the boring yet important job of preparing the ship for it's maiden voyage. Sat on the bridge, he began going through the station engineering reports to satisfy himself they had check all systems. It was a brand new ship after all.

As he flicked onto the fifty-third page, he was greeted by a familiar looking science crewman. Cortez recognized him from somewhere but he just couldn't quite pin it down.

Deciding to say nothing for fear of embarrassment, Cortez simply took the PADD from the crewman, placing his engineering reports down beside him. After the few seconds it took him to flip through the science department's report, he too placed that down.

"Excellent, Crewman"  he said "The science department seems to be on top of things. Good work."

"Thank you Sir.  I'll pass on the same to Lieutenant Osorio."  So saying Petr started for the door, turning before he exited the room.
He had sensed an optimistic anxiety in the new first officer as he watched him read the report.  "If I may, Sir...congratulations on your promotion."

RPG-D Sci-Fi Avatars RPG Initiative RPGfix RPG Initiative Fodlan Chronicles