Author Topic: Season 1, Mission 01: Forgotten  (Read 26818 times)

kawolsky

Season 1, Mission 01: Forgotten
« on: June 20, 2011, 02:44:00 pm »
MISSION START: June 20, 2011

Rear Admiral Kawolsky stood in the crowded room that was the Churchill's mess hall, glass in hand. He didn't usually drink while on duty but the commissioning ceremony of a new ship was always cause for exception. As he looked around the room at the brand new bulkheads, newly-crafted furniture, and consoles that glistened in the artificial light, he couldn't help but think back to when his old ship, the Discovery, was first commissioned. It felt like an age away.

Shaking the thought from his mind, his attention quickly returned to the conversation at hand.

"I trust everything is running on schedule, Commander?"  he asked

Kawolsky had personally chosen Commander Clake for the position as the ship's first commanding officer. Though he would never admit it to him, the Admiral had a great respect for the officer. He had a feeling he was going places.

Offline Alexander Clarke

• Deceased/Retired
  • Awarded to players on completion of 10 years service with the fleet. Awarded to players in recognition of their recruitment efforts. Awarded in January 2012 to all active members. Awarded in January and July by the FCO to crew of the most organized SIMM. Awarded by the FCO to the CO who has shown the best leadership.
    • View Profile
    • Awards
Re: Season 1, Mission 01: Forgotten
« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2011, 04:05:19 pm »
MISSION START: June 20, 2011

Rear Admiral Kawolsky stood in the crowded room that was the Churchill's mess hall, glass in hand. He didn't usually drink while on duty but the commissioning ceremony of a new ship was always cause for exception. As he looked around the room at the brand new bulkheads, newly-crafted furniture, and consoles that glistened in the artificial light, he couldn't help but think back to when his old ship, the Discovery, was first commissioned. It felt like an age away.

Shaking the thought from his mind, his attention quickly returned to the conversation at hand.

"I trust everything is running on schedule, Commander?"  he asked

Kawolsky had personally chosen Commander Clake for the position as the ship's first commanding officer. Though he would never admit it to him, the Admiral had a great respect for the officer. He had a feeling he was going places.

"As smoothly as can be expected," Clarke replied. "Command was quite insistent on getting the ship deployed as quickly as possible, so minor problems can be expected."

Clarke tried to ignore the discomfort of his dress uniform; it had been worn so sparingly that Clarke could count the number of times he'd worn it on one hand, so the fact that it hadn't been broken in properly was somewhat forgivable. He gave his shoulders a small roll, careful to keep his champagne flute balanced. The glass in his hand wasn't actually filled with champagne anymore--he'd picked up a flute of Bajoran springwine after finishing his champagne. It was a preference he'd developed a long time ago and it was rare that he could indulge in it.

After taking a sip, Clarke said, "It's not that surprising that they'd push us out so quickly; the fleet's been shorthanded for months and with the internal problems the Federation's been having, getting ships deployed as quickly as possible is the best thing we can do to reassure citizens of the Starfleet's health."

cortez

« Reply #2 on: June 20, 2011, 04:11:19 pm »
"As smoothly as can be expected," Clarke replied. "Command was quite insistent on getting the ship deployed as quickly as possible, so minor problems can be expected."

Clarke tried to ignore the discomfort of his dress uniform; it had been worn so sparingly that Clarke could count the number of times he'd worn it on one hand, so the fact that it hadn't been broken in properly was somewhat forgivable. He gave his shoulders a small roll, careful to keep his champagne flute balanced. The glass in his hand wasn't actually filled with champagne anymore--he'd picked up a flute of Bajoran springwine after finishing his champagne. It was a preference he'd developed a long time ago and it was rare that he could indulge in it.

After taking a sip, Clarke said, "It's not that surprising that they'd push us out so quickly; the fleet's been shorthanded for months and with the internal problems the Federation's been having, getting ships deployed as quickly as possible is the best thing we can do to reassure citizens of the Starfleet's health."

At that moment, Cortez approached the two officers, his extra uniform pip gently catching the light above. He was surprised when he was asked to be the Churchill's first officer. Surprised, but happy nonetheless.

"Sorry to interupt you, sirs"  he politely spoke, "Admiral, I have a priority message from Vice Admiral Costanza at Starfleet Command."

kawolsky

« Reply #3 on: June 20, 2011, 04:17:52 pm »
At that moment, Cortez approached the two officers, his extra uniform pip gently catching the light above. He was surprised when he was asked to be the Churchill's first officer. Surprised, but happy nonetheless.

"Sorry to interupt you, sirs"  he politely spoke, "Admiral, I have a priority message from Vice Admiral Costanza at Starfleet Command."

Kawolsky was slightly annoyed that he couldn't continue his conversation with Clarke. After all, there was so much he had to discuss with him in preparation for the ship's launch tomorrow.

"If you'll excuse me, Commander?"   he said, "It seems I'm needed elsewhere"

Offline Kale Bridges

• Shadow Fleet Reserves
  • Applicant
  • Awarded to players on completion of 10 years service with the fleet. Awarded to any player present for the majority of the Solen arc in 2013. Awarded to the player whom the CO feels is worthy of recognition. Awarded to those who demonstrate an ability to convey the action of combat. Awarded to players who participate in a Spread the Word campaign.
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #4 on: June 20, 2011, 04:20:50 pm »
Kawolsky was slightly annoyed that he couldn't continue his conversation with Clarke. After all, there was so much he had to discuss with him in preparation for the ship's launch tomorrow.

Reece walked into the mess hall as Kawolsky walked out.

"Admiral." He nodded as they passed.

He walked up to Cortez and Clarke. "Sir's, congratulations on your promotions. This ship couldn't ask for a better command crew."

He turned to Cortez. "You got crow-barred out of Ops too eh?"

Formerly Reece Thompson
PokemonGo - TEAM MYSTIC

cortez

« Reply #5 on: June 20, 2011, 04:29:49 pm »
Reece walked into the mess hall as Kawolsky walked out.

"Admiral." He nodded as they passed.

He walked up to Cortez and Clarke. "Sir's, congratulations on your promotions. This ship couldn't ask for a better command crew."

He turned to Cortez. "You got crow-barred out of Ops too eh?"

A slight smile came across Cortez' face.

"It seems that way, Lieutenant"  he replied "But the chance to serve on an Intrepid-class starship? And better yet, as it's first officer? Who could say no to that?"

Cortez turned back to Commander Clarke.

"Sir, I have a couple of things that you'll need to sign off before our shakedown tomorrow. Oh, and Ensign Jacobs in stellar cartography won't be joining us for another six days; the Norfolk is taking longer than anticipated delivering medical supplies to Novus Colony."
« Last Edit: June 20, 2011, 04:30:28 pm by Mike Cortez »

Offline Alexander Clarke

• Deceased/Retired
  • Awarded to players on completion of 10 years service with the fleet. Awarded to players in recognition of their recruitment efforts. Awarded in January 2012 to all active members. Awarded in January and July by the FCO to crew of the most organized SIMM. Awarded by the FCO to the CO who has shown the best leadership.
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #6 on: June 20, 2011, 08:21:20 pm »

Clarke gave Kawolsky a brief nod and said, "We'll continue our conversation later," as the admiral left the room.

"It seems that way, Lieutenant"  he replied "But the chance to serve on an Intrepid-class starship? And better yet, as it's first officer? Who could say no to that?"

"Sir, I have a couple of things that you'll need to sign off before our shakedown tomorrow. Oh, and Ensign Jacobs in stellar cartography won't be joining us for another six days; the Norfolk is taking longer than anticipated delivering medical supplies to Novus Colony."

Clarke furrowed his eyebrows in contemplation.

"I'll look over them in my quarters later, just drop them off when you have the time. As for the ensign...Command was us on border patrol within the next couple of days. We might have to pick her up at a later date if nothing can be done to speed up her journey."

The light above Clarke's head flickered for a moment before returning to normal.

"Seems like the she's acting up already. Probably didn't get the power distribution grid laid out right before they rushed her off the assembly line."

cortez

« Reply #7 on: June 21, 2011, 03:22:41 am »
Clarke furrowed his eyebrows in contemplation.

"I'll look over them in my quarters later, just drop them off when you have the time. As for the ensign...Command was us on border patrol within the next couple of days. We might have to pick her up at a later date if nothing can be done to speed up her journey."

The light above Clarke's head flickered for a moment before returning to normal.

"Seems like the she's acting up already. Probably didn't get the power distribution grid laid out right before they rushed her off the assembly line."

"Aye, sir" Cortez replied

He still wasn't quite himself around Clarke. He had only met the officer a short time before and it always took him a while to relax around people.

Offline Kale Bridges

• Shadow Fleet Reserves
  • Applicant
  • Awarded to players on completion of 10 years service with the fleet. Awarded to any player present for the majority of the Solen arc in 2013. Awarded to the player whom the CO feels is worthy of recognition. Awarded to those who demonstrate an ability to convey the action of combat. Awarded to players who participate in a Spread the Word campaign.
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #8 on: June 21, 2011, 03:29:10 am »

"I don't blame you sir. I jumped at the chance to get my security and tactical role back. Wasn't expecting Chief though." He said, rubbing his new pip. "It's nice."

Everyone he spoke to he couldn't help bring up the point of his promotion. It took him a long time to get it, and he was proud of it. Next mental target, XO of his own starship.

"Now sir." Reece said holding up his PADD, "I need to sort out my security roster. I've got a lot of people I've never met before."

Reece moved away, not that far and sat down. He placed his flute on the table and started going through the list.

---Begin PADD---

Security and Tactical Positions for Lieutenant Reece Thompson

Personnel assigned to the USS Churchill. Assign at Chief's discretion.

* Lieutenant Junior Grade Julianne Carter
* Crewman Third Class David Webb
* Petty Officer Second Class Octavius Mirwald

The PADD had alot of names on it, but those ones stood out. In the entire list there was only a half-dozen officers. Leaders of security teams.

---"Only one other tactical officer. They must expect the crewmen to work on the bridge often."--- Reece thought to himself. ---"I'll give them alternating shifts. The officers need to work more, so we'll definitely be on the bridge."---

Mirwald, that name actually sounded familiar. ---"Oh right, he was on the Discovery."--- Reece had never actually met Octavius. He made a mental note to have a face to face meeting with his entire department at one point.
« Last Edit: June 21, 2011, 11:29:26 am by Reece Thompson »

Formerly Reece Thompson
PokemonGo - TEAM MYSTIC

kawolsky

« Reply #9 on: June 21, 2011, 03:39:00 am »
After leaving the mess hall, Kawolsky had made his way to the bridge. It was unusually busy with Starfleet technicians making some last minute additions and checks before the ship launches tomorrow. He tried to make his entrance a quiet one, sneaking by the tactical console on his way to the ready room, but he knew this would inevitably fail. He was right. A young crewman - approximately twenty years old, Kawolsky had estimated - alerted the deck to his presence.

"As you were"  he responded.

The ready room doors opened with a pristine swish and Kawolsky stepped inside. He didn't both to sit down at the desk, instead spinning the top-of-the-range computer monitor around to face him. Tapping the button, the United Federation of Planets logo disappeared in favor of the aged face of Vice Admiral Costanza.

"Sir. What can I do for you?"

Costanza was known for being short and Kawolsky dispensed with any sort of pleasantries.

"John, several civilian cargo ships have gone missing along the border with Klingon space. Starfeet long-range listening posts detected this two days ago..."

The screen split into two sections, one showing an image of a Klingon Bird-of-Prey assaulting a cargo vessel.

"Sir..." Kawolsky began  "I don't think the Klingons would be responsible for this. It just doesn't make sense"

Constanza nodded.

"We agree, Admiral. From what we can tell from the intelligence scans, it's an old ship type. Several have been sold for latinum on the black market. Sold to pirates"

Kawolsky studied the image more closely.

"Pirates?"  he replied "I see. I can get a ship sent out there to investigate, sir? I'm sure they'll think twice before attacking a Starfleet vessel."

The Vice Admiral smiled.

"I was hoping you would say that, John. I'm sending you the co-ordinates now. Good luck."

Kawolsky nodded.

"Thank you, sir"

The channel came to an abrupt close. As he closed the screen with the push of a button, Kawolsky decided he would take a seat after all. It seems the Churchill was going to have to delay its shakedown, at least for now.

Offline Alan Christopher

• Shadow Fleet Reserves
  • Chief Helm Officer, USS Discovery
  • Awarded to players on completion of 10 years service with the fleet. Awarded in January 2012 to all active members. Awarded to any player present for the majority of the B.O.R.G. Featured Mission:  The First Battle with the Borg: USS Valour Awarded to those who demonstrate an ability to convey the action of combat. Awarded in January and July by the FCO to crew of the most active SIMM.
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #10 on: June 21, 2011, 04:52:16 pm »
Alan stood at the window with his flute of champagne, sipping lightly at the drink. He looked out the stars. This was a new start. He would try to put the events of the past few months. It would be hard, leaving behind so many friends. He tried to keep himself away from the main group forming in the mess hall.

Offline Alexander Clarke

• Deceased/Retired
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #11 on: June 21, 2011, 07:53:29 pm »
"Aye, sir" Cortez replied

He still wasn't quite himself around Clarke. He had only met the officer a short time before and it always took him a while to relax around people.

"So how have you been adjusting to the new ship? Not quite as heavily armed as the Discovery, I'll admit, but speed has its own advantages."

As Clarke spoke, there was a twinge of pain in his chest where he'd been stabbed a short while ago. Despite the advances in Federation medicine, not everything could be patched up and then forgotten; Clarke had undergone some extensive surgery to get his punctured lung fixed and there were some leftover scars that couldn't be removed quickly and cleanly. He covered up his brief grimace from the pain with another sip from his glass.

cortez

« Reply #12 on: June 22, 2011, 12:36:08 am »
"So how have you been adjusting to the new ship? Not quite as heavily armed as the Discovery, I'll admit, but speed has its own advantages."

As Clarke spoke, there was a twinge of pain in his chest where he'd been stabbed a short while ago. Despite the advances in Federation medicine, not everything could be patched up and then forgotten; Clarke had undergone some extensive surgery to get his punctured lung fixed and there were some leftover scars that couldn't be removed quickly and cleanly. He covered up his brief grimace from the pain with another sip from his glass.

"It might not be as heavily armed, sir." Cortez smiled "But the Churchill is certainly a magnificent ship. I've heard good reports about the Intrepid class and I'm sure she'll serve us well"

kawolsky

« Reply #13 on: June 22, 2011, 12:38:17 am »

Kawolsky tapped his com badge. He hated to interupt the festivities in the mess hall, but this mission couldn't wait any longer.

"Kawolsky to Commander Clarke"  he said, "Can you and Commander Cortez meet me in the briefing room? I have something important to discuss with you."

Offline David Webb

• Suspended Account
  • Probationer
  • Awarded to players on completion of 10 years service with the fleet.
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #14 on: June 22, 2011, 08:31:42 am »
David Webb stood silently at the rear of the mess hall, not drinking, not talking to any one just standing there and observing.  He wasn't sure what exactly he was expecting, but he lived by his motto 'Time spent in reconnaissance is seldom wasted'.   

RPG-D Sci-Fi Avatars RPG Initiative RPGfix RPG Initiative Fodlan Chronicles