Author Topic: Personal Log - Randy Drake  (Read 154 times)

Offline Randy Drake

• User rating 4
  • "Quo caeteri timent calcandi"
    • View Profile
    • Email
    • Awards

• Activity Level
    100%
  • Awards Awarded to players who successfully complete the EPC or OTC.
Personal Log - Randy Drake
« on: April 23, 2017, 02:20:53 AM »
Well as an enlisted man my life has taken a turn for the strange; Fleet in their wisdom has turned me from a Corpsman into a trauma nurse on a starship and at worst a babysitter for people who have stupidity inflicted wounds; well better than being at war. Donít get me wrong I am still keen on helping people but in sickbay I could get fat and complacent which would ruin my conditioning.

Got in Hac with the Doctor because of women, almost makes me wish that it was like the old naval days so I wouldnít be exposed to the confusing creatures; not many chances to meet them in the Big Dry (The Great Sandy Desert  of Australia) . I can associate with women if itís in a professional situation but in social situations and even if I am getting better at talking to the girls at the club theyíre holos and the computer might be smoothing things over for me to make a better experience; kind of how I canít get killed or injured in Holo rescue scenarios because of the safety protocols.

I had strange dream last night where people were walking around me wearing signs that told me how they were feeling emotionally; wishful thinking I suppose. Well time to take a little stroll up and down Pikeís Peak to burn off nervous energy; ďLater GranĒ

Offline Randy Drake

• User rating 4
    • View Profile
    • Email
    • Awards

• Activity Level
    100%
Re: Personal Log - Randy Drake
« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2017, 04:57:14 PM »
I know the Counselor would have a field day with the fact that I am bored and wish something would happen to allow me to use my skills I have spent so much time honing to be one of the best at my job. Donít get me wrong I enjoy helping the injured and the sick and being a nurse is in itís own way rewarding but I am a more physical person than that and need action. To answer this driving desire I have for action I did 25 minutes on Utah Beach before I was either killed or so badly wounded that the computer ended the scenario. Man those old guys went through hell to save lives and no wonder they had such short lifespans in combat with all that artillery and gunfire.

I suppose it would be easier to pass the down times if I had a friend here but as a new crew member I only have acquaintances and that is probably my own fault because I am so used  to spending so much time alone in the Big Sandy back home and never developed the people skills needed which is surprising because I am told I have a  good bedside manner; guess because I am concerned with my patientís well being that I empathise with them and it comes across.  Well till next time Gran.

Offline Randy Drake

• User rating 4
    • View Profile
    • Email
    • Awards

• Activity Level
    100%
« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2017, 06:35:09 AM »
Randy gets a package

Randy had received a letter and holo chip from a friend of his named Zeke Scippio who was assigned to the USS Midway out of Starbase 173 on the far side of the Romulan and Klingon Empires in the Beta Quadrant; the most remote and isolated section of the Federation.

Zeke described your typical planets explored till he told of a planet circling a star named Antti III which was one of three A-class supergiant stars that were about 60 parsecs out from the Midwayís base.

It was one of 12 planets circling Antti III and had been only numbered by the cartographers and considered unexplored till the Midway drifted into the system and began scans on a Class - O Pelagic world that was covered by water over 91% of itís surface. Much to their surprise the scans revealed the planet to be inhabited by and accidental colony which was peopled with humans, andorians, centaurians and hybrids of all three races.

Zeke had been in the Away Team when it had beamed down to one of the larger islands which held the largest population cluster of 304 people; the entire planetís population was only 624.

It was discovered that the people were from the USS Darwin which had suffered a catastrophic wrap core failure which had forced them to take refuge on a world theyíd named Sapphire because of its cobalt blue waters. Of the Darwinís crew all 132 had survived the loss though unfortunately with very little equipment because the shuttles had been at three times capacity during its trips to their refuge world which left them to survive in the most primitive of conditions; Zeke said they lived like the ancient Polynesians by fishing and light farming without the warfare.

Zeke was happy with the job saying it was like all the old fantasy stories of the sailors in the south seas and just so his friend Randy could experience it Zeke had gotten a copy of the holodeck file written by using the research information the various teams had gathered so the world could be viewed  back on earth and sent it to him.

Randy looked at  the Chip that contained the world Sapphire and thought it wasnít his usual type of Holodeck scenario because it didnít involve combat practice, this sounded more like something you shared with friends; he had none aboard the Discovery.

He placed the chip into a carved wooden box heíd made just for holding his collection of chips thinking he might pull it out if the Counselor told him to lay off the battle scenes and go for something less violent then back to work in sickbay he went.
« Last Edit: April 26, 2017, 06:36:57 AM by Randy Drake »

Offline Randy Drake

• User rating 4
    • View Profile
    • Email
    • Awards

• Activity Level
    100%
« Reply #3 on: April 28, 2017, 05:57:44 PM »
I think Iíll never be finished with my studies just to keep up with the expectations of those above me but then what is life without challenges?

So as of this installation of my journal I am beginning a syllabus that will include Anaphasic Beings, Plasmic Lifeforms, Advanced Psy Evaluation, Advanced Neurochemistry, Neural Structure, Advanced Psionics, Psionic Neural Theory, Advanced Virology and a computer search on aberrant personality causes.

Now to personal matters I still have no friends aboard the ship and admit to being the primary cause of my plight. I still canít fathom women no matter what species they are and men donít interest me so perhaps I am a good example of a monastic medic because it only bothers me on a physical level and only in their presence.

I admit that I love my work so much that  I could do it from wake to sleep only taking out time to eat, see to hygiene and exercise.

I admit that I sometimes wish I could see conflict or disaster so that I could know that all my preparations to preserve life in dangerous environments; itís why I didnít become a Doctor.

Oh and what is wrong with not being concerned with whether I climb the ranks; I am competitive but only with myself because in the end I am my worst enemy.

Offline Randy Drake

• User rating 4
    • View Profile
    • Email
    • Awards

• Activity Level
    100%
« Reply #4 on: April 30, 2017, 10:03:49 PM »
Did 15 k this morning then cleaned and restocked the sickbay: No customers
MadeÖ.. Well not made but met a couple of nice guys and even an officer that seemed okay
Will have to see if they are friends. Becoming an old hand is so time consuming

Here I sit alone
As the world passes by me
Alone I am not

Is it wrong that I want action, I want to see if I am who I have made myself ďGo Big Or Go HomeĒ
I miss you Gran even if you were a salty old dragon

Later Gran

Offline Randy Drake

• User rating 4
    • View Profile
    • Email
    • Awards

• Activity Level
    100%
« Reply #5 on: May 04, 2017, 04:26:26 PM »
Gran itís I the wandering mendicant of your past

I am now certain that I donít fit in here because it seems that when I enter a room any activity going on there ends, I feel like a bucket of ice water. And it is due to this perception that I now believe that no matter what the Counselors say I was meant to be alone and thatís okay; it isnít like I wasnít alone before and doing well. No it was only that the pep talks about how  humans are gregarious creatures and their mental well being depends on being part of a group and those groups are found everywhere humans are found; they were wrong.

I am not like anyone here on this ship and it is tiring trying to fit in. I am meant to be with Marines it is among them that I feel alive, needed and like I belong.

But it is like you always said even the fleet commander answers someoneís orders so Iíll deal with it and survive it like I have every test thrown at me.         

Offline Randy Drake

• User rating 4
    • View Profile
    • Email
    • Awards

• Activity Level
    100%
« Reply #6 on: May 11, 2017, 06:52:48 PM »
Randyís Roommate was on his shift which left the room empty for at least the next three hours giving him time to engage in his favorite form of endurance exercise Taiko Drumming.

Stripping down to his skivvies he then pulled out his wall pad,  holo projector and large sticks. He tossed the sticks on his bed and placed  the striking pad on the bulkhead that held the jefferies behind it to minimize any disturbance by transferred vibration and the projector set to display the face of his favorite size the Odaiko which took strength, mass and endurance to play. How he would have loved having a real Odaiko but crewmen couldnít have personal effects that weighed 400 kg. so he settled with his practice system he bought shortly after his 16th birthday and had played twice a week when time and situation permitted.

Once everything was set up Randy picked up his sticks which were the same thickness as old rolling pins and half a meter in length and made of a material to simulate true hardwood sticks in weight and flexibility. Next he took a wide squatting stance before the drum head and lifted each foot off the floor and stamped it down all the while holding each arm and stick at right angles to his body. Next came slow swings of his sticks with a low expulsion of Kai and breath followed by his every muscle flexing rigidly.

Then with a loud shout Randy lunged forward his left stick striking the large thud heard in the room but sounded to Randy like a true odaiko because of ear pieces he had and then there was the pad which felt like a true drumhead because of the magic of feedback technologies fine tuned by experts who played the drums.

He soon fell into the trance like state he wanted his drum strikes and heartbeat becoming synchronized as he entered a profound state of meditation which he would stay in till his strikes lost their metronome rhythm. This type of drumming was of his own invention and not meant to be musically pleasing but a method of focusing his being into a state of equal harmony; Zeke had said it was meant to drive away evil spirits and company.

Offline Randy Drake

• User rating 4
    • View Profile
    • Email
    • Awards

• Activity Level
    100%
« Reply #7 on: May 19, 2017, 04:40:12 PM »
Randy sat down on his bunk setting down his PADD pausing it when he noticed that in the latest fleet deliveries his friend

Zeke
Drago
Had sent him another package that contained a Mod for the survey Holo program which the latest unclassified data was made available about the world called Sapphire.

A handwritten letter dropped out of the delivery packet which Randy picked up his curiosity peaked.

ďHow did Zeke manage it?Ē thought Randy as he produced his Marine utility knife as if by prestidigitation splitting it open in one smooth stroke after which he seemed to dispel the tool to empty his hands so that he could extract an odd piece of paper. Then the envelope empty he set it on his pillow and unfolded the paper several time till it reached a breadth of a meter and on in in three odd spirals using Vulcan pictographs was a letter from a woman named Síerl a native of the Planet Sapphire.

But that wasnít what held his attention alone but the fact that the pattern was an odd art form slash poetry of one of the Vulcan minorities of the  Vítosh kaítur. He stood and walked to the desk he shared with a crewman he hardly ever saw as they had alternate schedules and when they were both in the room one was sleeping or studying.

He pulled out his tricorder and scanned the entire thing into the computer then asked it to do an appraisal of its material and to compare the art to known examples. Then while he waited he began reading the pictograms using his  familiarity with Vulcan gained from reading the writings of Surak and earlier writings of Vulcan and still found it a difficult task because it was an odd dialect which was identified as belonging to a matriarchal faction that had disappeared over a 3,000 years ago.

To Be continued

Top RP SitesTop RP Sites TO INFINITY AND BEYOND Shadowplay Maelstrom Role Play Top 100 Original SciFi Sites RPG-D