S2 M1"Macrocosm"

Started by Julia Rellek, June 28, 2017, 10:15:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ian Galloway

[Sickbay]

One of the nursing staff heard Ian, and informed him that Doctor Kintiss was involved with saving Petty Officer Jacobs who had been injured at the same time he was, but much more seriously. The nurse listened to what happened and smiled, and Ian was immediately taken by the warmth in her eyes.

"Ribs are an easy fix Lieutenant. I just need to grab a bone knitter and you'll be fine." She replied as she reached for one of the medical instruments on the tray next to the biobed.

"Well, that's good news. It's usually much harder ta put things right than break them." He smiled as he replied. "I'm Ian, Ian Galloway. Flight Ops."

"Please raise your left arm over your head." She answered as she activated the device and began running it vertically up and down Ian's side. "I'm Jessica Fellows. Nice to meet you."

The pain in his side immediately began to fade and Ian was able to take a proper deep breath for the first time since the accident. "You are a wonder Lieutenant. I guess you don't realize how important ribs are until you go and injure them."

"No need to be so formal Lieutenant Galloway, please call me Jess." She smiled again as she returned the device to the tray.

"Only if'n you call me Ian. Say, I have ta get back ta the bridge, but I'm off duty at 1800. If'n it's nae too informal, perhaps we could meet for dinner?" Ian replied with his best smile.

"You flyers are all alike, but I suppose I'll be safe if we have this dinner in Ten Forward."

"I look forward ta it Jess. However, duty calls. Enjoy the rest of yer shift and please update me on Jacobs. He's in my division and I would like ta check back in on him when he's conscious."

"Will do." Jess replied with a thoughtful expression.

"Smashin'. See you later."

Ian left sickbay with a decided spring in his step that was not even remotely attributable to having his injury healed. He whistled tunelessly as he rode the turbolift back to the bridge. He crossed over to the helm and smiled at the captain as he relieved her at Conn.

"Any word from the boffins Ma'am?"

Nicholas Mortier

Quote from: James H. Hawk on July 27, 2017, 07:54:18 AM

[Corridors]

As Mortier strode ahead Jada pulled James aside to speak about some concerns which James addressed and promised to assist with and look into. Although dealing with such things was not something he enjoyed he cared about his crew and so would always listen to the crews issues.

[Main Engineering]

Once they entered Engineering James could tell Jada was lost in Engineering. James was often lost in the huge room himself. It fascinated him how the technology in the room could propel them across space. However, like Jada, James was no Engineer. "Double check weapons and shields. We are still deep in unknown space and I want to make sure this universe hasn't affected our ability to defend ourselves," James said.

James then noticed the...Aurelian was it? As XO James was well acquainted with the personnel files and roster and so had seen a new Engineering Cadet assigned to the Tempest. An Aurelian, a species which James and probably most of the crew had never seen before. It seems the cadet had realised this as well. "I'm not sure about Mr. Mortier here but I certainly haven't seen one of your kind before," James said. "Not to worry though. Many of us hadn't seen a Caitian before and although it took some people in the crew some time they got used to Command K'lizh we got used to it in the end," James said remembering the Bridge Banter between Commander Waring and K'lizh. James still missed Will. "So in other words, Cadet, give it some time and eventually people will stop giving you second looks."

[Main Engineering]
"I've done business with some Aurelians in the past," Nicholas piped in, "but you're the first Aurelian I've seen in the fleet". the Aurelians were a respectable people, at least in Nicholas' eyes, so he preferred them over other contractors like the mob-connected Orion firms or the Ferengi.
"If you still remember your theoretical physics courses," he said, picking up after a sip of coffee, "You can start unlearning them tomorrow. Now, I'd like for you to take the data from the small EMP trials we ran, and use that to compute how often we need to reverse the polarity of the EM Pulse we send at it in order to keep repelling the thing."
After another sip, he realized that his statement was incomplete
"You usually don't need theoretical physics, but it looks like we all do today."
He then pulled up a chair next to a very large console, took a massive gulp of coffee, and began typing.

Jada

Main Engineering

Quote from: James H. Hawk on July 27, 2017, 07:54:18 AM

Once they entered Engineering James could tell Jada was lost in Engineering. James was often lost in the huge room himself. It fascinated him how the technology in the room could propel them across space. However, like Jada, James was no Engineer. "Double check weapons and shields. We are still deep in unknown space and I want to make sure this universe hasn't affected our ability to defend ourselves," James said.

''Sir.' Jada acknowledged efficiently. Circling the pool table, she commandeered a spare general-purpose terminal and activated a program to monitor the EPS network supplying power to the phasers, shields, torpedo launchers, and other defence-critical systems. She ran diagnostics, starting at a fast and basic level 5, before moving up to more thorough levels 4 and 5. Although this engineering was outside her wheelhouse, all Starfleet personnel were trained in these standard functions and tests. The process was largely automated, anyway, with algorithms monitoring the variance, phase, and frequency of the electroplasma flow to detect vibration and thus damage in ship's systems.

Pursing her lips at the results, she crossed into the Warp Core room in search of Lieutenant Mortier, and found him working with an ensign. She knew they must be new aboard because, although humans had an unfortunate tendency to look a bit alike to her eyes, she would've recognised the bird-like face if she'd seen them around before. But like Selay and Caitians, she took it in her stride. 'Please forgive the intrusion, but I was monitoring the EPS. I suppose you know this micro-universe is draining power through the damaged nacelle, and the EPS system is working overtime to compensate?' she began, in order to give context to the problem. 'Well, it's having a knock-on effect through the rest of the EPS network. Most systems are probably fine, they don't require so much power, but phasers and shields are suffering extreme power fluctuations: drops in power followed by dangerous surges. Is there any way we can even out the power distribution?'

Academy Chief of the Boat  (Personnel File)

Ngara V'kee

Quote from: Nicholas Mortier on July 27, 2017, 03:38:50 PM

[Main Engineering]
"If you still remember your theoretical physics courses," he said, picking up after a sip of coffee, "You can start unlearning them tomorrow. Now, I'd like for you to take the data from the small EMP trials we ran, and use that to compute how often we need to reverse the polarity of the EM Pulse we send at it in order to keep repelling the thing."
After another sip, he realized that his statement was incomplete
"You usually don't need theoretical physics, but it looks like we all do today."
He then pulled up a chair next to a very large console, took a massive gulp of coffee, and began typing.

As Ngara was working on the problem at hand, she came to the realization that the deflector dish was designed to deflect object. She could configure the pulses to be similar to the deflector dish, accounting for the size of the micro-universe of course.

"Excuse me lieutenant, what is the size of the micro-universe compared to debris the deflector dish encounters at warp?" Turning to the XO, she gave the Aurelian version of a smile and thanked him for the tip he gave her.

Quote from: Jada on July 27, 2017, 10:24:38 PM

Main Engineering

'Please forgive the intrusion, but I was monitoring the EPS. I suppose you know this micro-universe is draining power through the damaged nacelle, and the EPS system is working overtime to compensate?' she began, in order to give context to the problem. 'Well, it's having a knock-on effect through the rest of the EPS network. Most systems are probably fine, they don't require so much power, but phasers and shields are suffering extreme power fluctuations: drops in power followed by dangerous surges. Is there any way we can even out the power distribution?'

The Cadet piped up, "Perhaps we could shut off the nacelle or attempt to lower the power usage to the rest of the Tempest? Grabbing her flask of Raktajino, Ngara got to work find ways to stop the power fluctuations AND experimenting with different speeds of polarity reversal. As the simulations did their work, she grabbed a tricorder and set to work examining the warp core for any more possible damage.

"We are always here, in our past and future lives."

-Aldous Vanderboom

Julia Rellek

Quote from: Nicholas Mortier on July 27, 2017, 12:03:39 AM

[Main Engineering]

Nicholas used his slightly longer stride to overtake Jada and Hawk, despite his old age. There, he began to send smaller pulses through the nacelle to examine the mini-universe's properties.

=//\\= I've successfully run some tests, and concluded that the mini-universe is non-ferromagnetic. I'll now have to figure out when to reverse the charge of the pulses I send through the nacelles =//\\=

He then turned to the Aurelian cadet, seeking help there.
"Cadet... Pardon me, I didn't catch your name, could you help me out with these calculations?"

[Bridge]

=/\="Acknowledged, let us know when you're ready for us to engage."=/\=

Quote from: Ian Galloway

Ian left sickbay with a decided spring in his step that was not even remotely attributable to having his injury healed. He whistled tunelessly as he rode the turbolift back to the bridge. He crossed over to the helm and smiled at the captain as he relieved her at Conn.

"Any word from the boffins Ma'am?"

"I just heard from the engine room. Sounds like they are making progress, we're just waiting for word to engage." Julia replied.

"Somewhere, something incredible is waiting to be known." - Carl Sagan

Ian Galloway

Quote from: Julia Rellek on July 28, 2017, 03:19:41 AM

[Bridge]

=/\="Acknowledged, let us know when you're ready for us to engage."=/\=

"I just heard from the engine room. Sounds like they are making progress, we're just waiting for word to engage." Julia replied.

[Bridge]

Ian nodded absently as he sat at the Conn station.

"Very good Ma'am. Now we wait. Fortunately, we do not have ta be anywhere, so we're not goin' ta be late."

Nicholas Mortier

Quote from: Ngara V'kee on July 28, 2017, 02:19:30 AM

As Ngara was working on the problem at hand, she came to the realization that the deflector dish was designed to deflect object. She could configure the pulses to be similar to the deflector dish, accounting for the size of the micro-universe of course.

"Excuse me lieutenant, what is the size of the micro-universe compared to debris the deflector dish encounters at warp?" Turning to the XO, she gave the Aurelian version of a smile and thanked him for the tip he gave her.

The Cadet piped up, "Perhaps we could shut off the nacelle or attempt to lower the power usage to the rest of the Tempest? Grabbing her flask of Raktajino, Ngara got to work find ways to stop the power fluctuations AND experimenting with different speeds of polarity reversal. As the simulations did their work, she grabbed a tricorder and set to work examining the warp core for any more possible damage.

[Main Engineering]
Nicholas had to admit that the Orion and the Aurelian were correct - the power grid was fluctuating heavily.
"You're damn right!" he exclaimed, "I'll go ahead and slash power from unnecessary systems. Holodecks, Replicators in all quarters,
and the lights in Officer Quarters will be the first to go. One of you could engage the Hydrogen power cells,/and perhaps Lt. Galloway will let us scale back impulse power. And Ms. V'Kee,"
he added, "the bugger is about the size of the port nacelle."
Throughout, he choked a torrent of vulgarity down to a trickle, aware that his boss was watching. He was also aware of his other boss possibly wanting a report.
=//\\=Mortier to Captain. Be advised that I'm slashing power from unnecessary systems left and right. It'll take about 20 minutes for the process to start, and about as long to move it safely away.=//\\=

Solluk

[Main Shuttlebay - USS Tigris]

All pre-flight checks had been completed.  Now Solluk watched the chronometer on the flight console, watching minutes tick by one after another.  There was a certain ambient tension in the air, an uncertainty about how this would all play out.   In this moment of crisis, the ship's Engineering teams were no doubt working dilligently to somehow repulse the miniature universe that had glommed onto the ship.

As with so many moments of crisis, the survival of the ship came down to science and engineering.  Solluk was glad for the bold and clever men and women who routinely pulled the ship's proverbial fat out of literal fires.

He wondered if such a career could ever truly be within his reach.

There had been a time, not so long ago, when he'd been quite certain that Starfleet service itself was beyond his capability.

But he'd done it.

Against all odds, he'd managed to gain admittance to the Galaxy's most prestigious Exploratory and Security service.  Months ago, he'd stood alongside brave heroes and defended the Federation against a hostile invasion.

When he'd been piloting a cargo transport on milk runs through the Vulcan system, such a thing had been beyond imagining.

What else could he accomplish, if he dared to imagine?

Well, he was prepared to dare, now.

And meanwhile, the personnel in Engineering made a dare of their own.  Solluk imagined what it must be like as they set their solution into motion.  He would ask Jada about it, later.  What a story it must be...

My Primary Shadowfleet Character:

Ian Galloway

Quote from: Nicholas Mortier on July 28, 2017, 11:02:37 AM

=//\\=Mortier to Captain. Be advised that I'm slashing power from unnecessary systems left and right. It'll take about 20 minutes for the process to start, and about as long to move it safely away.=//\\=

[Bridge]

Ian heard the report from engineering and the tone of Mortier's voice sounded an engineer's typical cautious optimism.

"Ma'am, as we are stationary, the only thing I need ta keep us in position are the thrusters. If Mister Mortier believes he can push the universe away from us, then helm has no other power requirements beyond thrusters."

Jada

Main Engineering

Jada was surprised at the flurry of Engineering activity she'd triggered, but was glad she'd uncovered a serious problem and hadn't just been hunting the wrong s'nark. It felt good to be useful. And today she was impersonating an engineer. 'I'll take care of the hydrogen power cells.' Returning to her terminal, she accessed the ship's hydrogen fusion reactor: it normally powered the impulse drive and generated plasma, but could serve as a back-up power supply for the rest of the ship in emergencies such as this. She engaged this option, checked her work with a crewman, and was relieved the ship didn't immediately blow up.

With the fusion reactor supplying power during the troughs of the EPS network, the demand was lessened and peaks similarly diminished. 'EPS fluctuations reducing, 46%, 34%, 27%...' she reported as the distribution steadily evened out, aided by Mortier's cuts.

=/\='CPO Jada to Weapons Control. I advise not using phasers or torpedos until the EPS network is back under control.'=/\= Not that there was any need for them right now, and even if there were tests scheduled, they'd be put on hold, but it was protocol to report it, and the Jem'Hadar could always show up, uninvited, in the next half hour.

Academy Chief of the Boat  (Personnel File)

Julia Rellek

Quote from: Nicholas Mortier on July 28, 2017, 11:02:37 AM

[Main Engineering]
Nicholas had to admit that the Orion and the Aurelian were correct - the power grid was fluctuating heavily.
"You're damn right!" he exclaimed, "I'll go ahead and slash power from unnecessary systems. Holodecks, Replicators in all quarters,
and the lights in Officer Quarters will be the first to go. One of you could engage the Hydrogen power cells,/and perhaps Lt. Galloway will let us scale back impulse power. And Ms. V'Kee,"
he added, "the bugger is about the size of the port nacelle."
Throughout, he choked a torrent of vulgarity down to a trickle, aware that his boss was watching. He was also aware of his other boss possibly wanting a report.

[Bridge]

Julia watched the ops console from her seat in the center of the bridge. She could see the lights for non critical systems blinking off, one-by-one. =/\="Acknowledged, please be advised that Lieutenant Galloway believes he can do this with thrusters alone if you need more power."=/\=

"Somewhere, something incredible is waiting to be known." - Carl Sagan

James H. Hawk

[Main Engineering]

"Fortunetly we don't seem to have anyone out to kill us at this moment," James said as Jada advised Tactical not to use weapons. It was certainly a relief to have a break from combat but even so somehow Starfleet always ended up in some sort of mess like having a universe stuck to the ship.

"Mr. Mortier. Cadet," James said getting the two engineers attention. "How are the calculations and preparations going? Are you ready to commence the procedure. I really would like us to get rid of this hitchhiker of a universe as soon as we safely can."

Ngara V'kee

Quote from: James H. Hawk on August 01, 2017, 06:32:35 AM

"Mr. Mortier. Cadet," James said getting the two engineers attention. "How are the calculations and preparations going? Are you ready to commence the procedure. I really would like us to get rid of this hitchhiker of a universe as soon as we safely can."

[Main Engineering]

Turning to the XO, Ngara realized that she was nearly done getting the speed at which to reverse the polarity. "I believe that we need to reverse the charge every 5 milliseconds. That should do the trick and get the micro-universe off our hull." Excitedly, she realized that she had just helped the senior staff deal with something a lot of other starship crews don't get to see.

It was a wonder that Starfleet somehow survived even with all the anomalies and whatnot.

"We are always here, in our past and future lives."

-Aldous Vanderboom

Nicholas Mortier

Quote from: Ngara V'kee on August 01, 2017, 12:21:52 PM

[Main Engineering]

Turning to the XO, Ngara realized that she was nearly done getting the speed at which to reverse the polarity. "I believe that we need to reverse the charge every 5 milliseconds. That should do the trick and get the micro-universe off our hull." Excitedly, she realized that she had just helped the senior staff deal with something a lot of other starship crews don't get to see.

It was a wonder that Starfleet somehow survived even with all the anomalies and whatnot.

[Main Engineering]
Nicholas had completed his calculations as well. It seemed the end of this mess was in sight. After disengaging all unneeded systems, he replied.
My calculations are ready. I will send bursts of 75 Terawatts over these intervals.
After hitting a few keys he said, ready to engage

Ian Galloway

Quote from: Nicholas Mortier on August 01, 2017, 07:29:04 PM

[Main Engineering]
Nicholas had completed his calculations as well. It seemed the end of this mess was in sight. After disengaging all unneeded systems, he replied.
My calculations are ready. I will send bursts of 75 Terawatts over these intervals.
After hitting a few keys he said, ready to engage

[Bridge]

Ian heard the report from engineering and entered the necessary commands in preparation to move the ship.

"Ready ta move on yer order Ma'am. You know once we get this boggit off of us, perhaps we can beam over a hitchhiker's guide ta this galaxy. Might keep it off the hulls of other ships."

🡱 🡳

RPG-D Sci-Fi Avatars RPG Initiative RPGfix RPG Initiative Fodlan Chronicles

Star Trek and all related marks, logos and characters are solely owned by CBS Studios Inc. This fan production is not endorsed by, sponsored by, nor affiliated with CBS, Paramount Pictures, or any other Star Trek franchise, and is a non-commercial fan-made production intended for recreational use. No commercial exhibition or distribution is permitted. No alleged independent rights will be asserted against CBS or Paramount Pictures.