Author Topic: S1 M8: "By the Light of Helaspont"  (Read 1216 times)

Offline Julia Rellek

• Experienced Member
  • User rating 60
  • "There's coffee in the nebula!" - Janeway
    • View Profile
    • Email
    • Awards

• Activity Level
    82%
  • Awards Awarded to a player whom the FCO feels warrants recognition. Awarded to any player who donates money to help keep SF running Awarded in January 2017 to all active members. Awarded in January and July by the FCO to crew of the most friendly SIMM. Awarded to players who have been with the fleet for three years.
Re: S1 M8: "By the Light of Helaspont"
« Reply #68 on: April 17, 2017, 05:44:40 AM »
Quote from: Ian Galloway
"Mo Chreach! He snarled in Gaelic before reaching up to press the throat microphone of the P-40 into his neck to respond.

=/\= "Aye Ma'am! On my way." =/\=

Ian quickly exited the cockpit of the Tomahawk and as soon as his feet hit the ground, he spoke.

"Computer. End program."

Feeling a sense of urgency, Ian immediately headed for the turbolift and was on the bridge in less than two minutes. It wasn't until he walked to the Conn station and the on duty helmsman gave him a funny look that he realized what happened.

In his rush to get to the bridge immediately in response to the captain's order, he had not changed into his Starfleet uniform. He was instead wearing black half-boots, khaki slacks, a khaki shirt, a dark brown leather jacket with a very distinctive red and white "blood chit" written in Chinese on the back, a leather pilot's helmet with goggles sitting on the top of his head, and a dazzling silk scarf patterned on the Galloway clan tartan.

Sheepishly, Ian turned to face the captain with cheeks showing an obvious blush.

"Uh. Lieutenant Galloway reportin' as ordered Ma'am."

[Bridge]

Julia smiled, sensing the mans unease. "I didn't interrupt something, did I?" She said holding back faints amount of laughter.."Take your station Lieutenant. I want to get deeper inside that nebula so we can get better data from our probes. But i didnt want to do it without a seasoned pilot at the helm. Know of anyone up for the job?" She joked.
Academy Commandant

"Somewhere, something incredible is waiting to be known." - Carl Sagan[/center]

Offline Ian Galloway

• Competent Member
  • User rating 12
    • View Profile
    • Awards

• Activity Level
    100%
  • Awards Awarded in January 2017 to all active members. Awarded in January and July by the FCO to crew of the most friendly SIMM. Awarded to players who participate in a Spread the Word campaign.
« Reply #69 on: April 17, 2017, 02:48:35 PM »
[Bridge]

Julia smiled, sensing the mans unease. "I didn't interrupt something, did I?" She said holding back faints amount of laughter.."Take your station Lieutenant. I want to get deeper inside that nebula so we can get better data from our probes. But i didnt want to do it without a seasoned pilot at the helm. Know of anyone up for the job?" She joked.

[Bridge]

Ian smiled the lopsided grin that seemed common to pilots throughout the known universe as he replied.

"Nothing important Ma'am. It was a holodeck simulation of the 20th Century Earth conflict of World War Two, specifically the group of aviators known as the Flyin' Tigers. However, as fer bein' up ta handlin' the Lady Tempest through a nebula, I'm yer man."

Ian then took his seat at the Conn station, and after making a few adjustments to the display. He nodded to the Captain.

"Ready when you are Ma'am."

Ian looked out at the nebula, trying to get a feel for the eddies and other complications that would exist inside the gas cloud, wondering exactly what made this one so important to enter.

"The Tempest may not be a Tomahawk, but she'll do just fine."

He thought as he waited for the go ahead to take the ship into the nebula.

Offline Julia Rellek

• Experienced Member
  • User rating 60
    • View Profile
    • Email
    • Awards

• Activity Level
    82%
  • Awards Awarded to a player whom the FCO feels warrants recognition. Awarded to any player who donates money to help keep SF running Awarded in January 2017 to all active members. Awarded in January and July by the FCO to crew of the most friendly SIMM. Awarded to players who have been with the fleet for three years.
« Reply #70 on: April 18, 2017, 02:40:13 AM »
[Bridge]

Ian smiled the lopsided grin that seemed common to pilots throughout the known universe as he replied.

"Nothing important Ma'am. It was a holodeck simulation of the 20th Century Earth conflict of World War Two, specifically the group of aviators known as the Flyin' Tigers. However, as fer bein' up ta handlin' the Lady Tempest through a nebula, I'm yer man."

Ian then took his seat at the Conn station, and after making a few adjustments to the display. He nodded to the Captain.

"Ready when you are Ma'am."

Ian looked out at the nebula, trying to get a feel for the eddies and other complications that would exist inside the gas cloud, wondering exactly what made this one so important to enter.

"The Tempest may not be a Tomahawk, but she'll do just fine."

He thought as he waited for the go ahead to take the ship into the nebula.

"Well, we'll see about getting you back to it." With a smile she made a slight forward gesture with her right hand. "Take us in Lieutenant."

"Naga, you and K'Lizh need to keep an eye on those readouts. Let me know when the quality of the telemetry improves." She added.
Academy Commandant

Offline Solluk

• Competent Member
  • User rating 14
  • Life is not endurable without a sense of humor.
    • View Profile
    • Email
    • Awards

• Activity Level
    100%
  • Awards Awarded to any player who donates money to help keep SF running Awarded to players who successfully complete the EPC or OTC.
« Reply #71 on: April 18, 2017, 06:06:22 AM »
[Deck Ten, Forward]

"I don't think these vehicles employ shotguns," Solluk said, "they probably would not be very effective at the kinds of ranges combat is likely to take place in."

To her next statement, he considered, "I have an instructor's qualification," he said, "and... I think I find the prospect of helping to teach a class to be..."  Was exciting the right word?  He couldn't think of a better one.  "Exciting."

"But would anyone actually be interested in learning to use the Lirpa, or the Ahn Woon?  Polearms and cord-based weaponry have never seemed popular in Starfleet."  He leaned close to her, "I've come to respect your martial arts mastery a great deal in a short time.  If you think there is an interest, I'd be proud to teach techniques beside you."

He stood, "And now we should catch up to our erstwhile companion... which holodeck did he say he'd be using?"  Solluk tapped his badge, "Computer, what is the current location of Lieutenant Galloway?"

The computer's emotionless voice responded, "Lieutenant Galloway is on the bridge."

Solluk frowned.  "Oh."   Only now did he notice the changing view outside the Ten-Forward windows.  "It seems his duty has called him back to the helm.   That is... quite a beautiful nebula."  He took a moment to enjoy the colorful starscape.

"This," he told her, "this is half the reason I love to fly.  I have never seen anything more beautiful than the endless bounds of space.  I never feel a sense of wonder so profound as when I am directing a delicate vessel through such an expanse."

(tag)
http://www.shadowfleet.org/forum/index.php?action=profile;u=983
Click to access my profile which contains my character bio under 'about me.'

Offline Jada

• Competent Member
  • User rating 16
    • View Profile
    • Awards

• Activity Level
    100%
  • Awards Awarded to any player who writes the Post of the Month. Awarded to players who successfully complete the EPC or OTC.
« Reply #72 on: April 18, 2017, 07:18:41 AM »
[Deck Ten, Forward]

'It's a human expression... But I'm not sure how you ride a shotgun. It sounds dangerous.' Jada added with a frown.

'Thanks. It wouldn't be a formal class, more a... a gang, with members teaching each other and a few seniors to lead. That's an Orion way. I'm not interested in the traditional masterĖslave teaching relationship.' Jada explained, in between eating leftover chips and swigging a drink. 'I think a few people would be interested: Security officers looking to learn new techniques, others interested in sport or martial culture. They don't necessarily need to learn the lirpa, just some polearm techniques Ė I won't have a lirpa in battle, but I might have to pick up a broomstick or steel pole or pool cue.' Jada offered as an example. 'Mostly, I'd like to see more combat versatility among the Security and Operations personnel. We train in melee defensive techniques, but they're not balanced by offensive understanding. The Mirror crew and my counterpart hit us hard with daggers and swords. Klingons and Orions look down on Starfleet for bringing a gun to a knife-fight. And physical weaponry may be more effective against Tzenkethi biology.'

Jada rose, taking Snake's carry-tank with her. 'We can catch up to S'Murr. If not, then there's a free holodeck booking we can steal. she suggested, with characteristic Orion opportunism.

Drawn by Solluk's words, she gazed out the window, also impressed by the stunning view. She wished she had something so eloquent to say. Instead, she stole something else. 'Orion poets call nebulas like these the veils of heaven's harem, and the stars the jewels. They show the beauty of the universe, and hide her secrets. Of course, the poets are men, so the universe is an Orion slave girl. It's right, though. You've got to love her.' she explained with feeling, then fixed a curious eye on the unusually poetic Vulcan. Solluk wasn't like most Vulcans she'd met. 'And the other half?'

Offline Ian Galloway

• Competent Member
  • User rating 12
    • View Profile
    • Awards

• Activity Level
    100%
  • Awards Awarded in January 2017 to all active members. Awarded in January and July by the FCO to crew of the most friendly SIMM. Awarded to players who participate in a Spread the Word campaign.
« Reply #73 on: April 18, 2017, 02:52:13 PM »
"Well, we'll see about getting you back to it." With a smile she made a slight forward gesture with her right hand. "Take us in Lieutenant."

"Naga, you and K'Lizh need to keep an eye on those readouts. Let me know when the quality of the telemetry improves." She added.

[Bridge]

"Aye Ma'am. I'm goin' ta take us in nice and easy until we know what we are dealin' with here. One quarter impulse. Thrusters on stand by. Here we go Lass, sweet as ya please."

The Tempest began her slow acceleration toward the nebula.

"Tactical. I suggest full shields and full power ta the structural integrity field. And Captain, ya might want ta let the crew know things could get bumpy. Ya never know what sorts of currents are in a nebula until ya are in one Ma'am."

Offline Klizh

• Competent Member
  • User rating 19
    • View Profile
    • My DA page
    • Awards

• Activity Level
    28%
  • Awards Awarded in January 2017 to all active members. Awarded in January and July by the FCO to crew of the most friendly SIMM. Awarded to players who go above and beyond what is asked of them. Awarded in January and July by the executive officer to a player of their SIMM. Awarded to players who have been with the fleet for six months.
« Reply #74 on: April 19, 2017, 02:19:55 AM »

"Aye, captain," he said, eyes on his console. "I'm trying to narrow the beam of the probe's transmission, cut through the nebula's interference. If this works, we might not have to go so far in ours-" he was interrupted by an error chime from his station. "Nevermind." His tail twitched with embarrassment. It had been a good idea, he thought, but it looked like something he would have to talk to the engineers about rather than trying to modify the probes while they were in use.

"Nature abhors dimensional abnormalities, and seals them neatly away so that they donít upset people.  Nature, in fact, abhors a lot of things, including vacuums, ships called the Marie Celeste, and the chuck keys for electric drills." -Pratchett

Offline Julia Rellek

• Experienced Member
  • User rating 60
    • View Profile
    • Email
    • Awards

• Activity Level
    82%
« Reply #75 on: April 19, 2017, 03:42:19 PM »
[Bridge]

"Aye Ma'am. I'm goin' ta take us in nice and easy until we know what we are dealin' with here. One quarter impulse. Thrusters on stand by. Here we go Lass, sweet as ya please."

The Tempest began her slow acceleration toward the nebula.

"Tactical. I suggest full shields and full power ta the structural integrity field. And Captain, ya might want ta let the crew know things could get bumpy. Ya never know what sorts of currents are in a nebula until ya are in one Ma'am."

"Acknowledged." Julia opened a communication channel to the ship. =/\="Bridge to all hands. Brace yourself. The ride may get a little bumpy as we enter the nebula."=/\=

"James, take tactical and raise the shields." She ordered.

Quote from: K'Lizh
"Aye, captain," he said, eyes on his console. "I'm trying to narrow the beam of the probe's transmission, cut through the nebula's interference. If this works, we might not have to go so far in ours-" he was interrupted by an error chime from his station. "Nevermind." His tail twitched with embarrassment. It had been a good idea, he thought, but it looked like something he would have to talk to the engineers about rather than trying to modify the probes while they were in use.

"It was worth a try. Try relaying the signal through the main deflector. That might give you the boost you need." She suggested.
Academy Commandant

Offline James H. Hawk

• Competent Member
  • User rating 34
    • View Profile
    • Awards

• Activity Level
    56%
  • Awards Awarded in January and July by the FCO to crew of the most friendly SIMM. Awarded to players who continue to contribute to the running of the SIMM. Awarded to the player whom the CO feels is worthy of recognition. Awarded to players who have been with the fleet for six months. Awarded to players who participate in a Spread the Word campaign.
« Reply #76 on: April 19, 2017, 11:06:47 PM »
"Acknowledged." Julia opened a communication channel to the ship. =/\="Bridge to all hands. Brace yourself. The ride may get a little bumpy as we enter the nebula."=/\=

"It was worth a try. Try relaying the signal through the main deflector. That might give you the boost you need." She suggested.

[Bridge]

"Aye, ma'am!" James said smiling. It was good to get a chance to go back to his routes and take the Tactical Station. He almost jumped out of his seat as he went to take the Tactical Station. He raised shields to full. "Shields at full power, Captain." Oh I've missed this.
Academy Security and Tactical Instructor

Offline Klizh

• Competent Member
  • User rating 19
    • View Profile
    • My DA page
    • Awards

• Activity Level
    28%
  • Awards Awarded in January 2017 to all active members. Awarded in January and July by the FCO to crew of the most friendly SIMM. Awarded to players who go above and beyond what is asked of them. Awarded in January and July by the executive officer to a player of their SIMM. Awarded to players who have been with the fleet for six months.
« Reply #77 on: April 20, 2017, 01:09:35 AM »

"Tried that, Captain," K'lizh said, taking a moment to reflect on just how useful the deflector was to a starship--a giant channel for energy allowed them to send and receive signals, emit shields, and just about anything an engineer imagined. Some science vessels even had two. Perhaps the Tempest would benefit herself from a second dish. He would have to consult with some of the boys in engineering on the possible benefits. "Our signals to the probe are being transmitted without problem. The signals from the probe only just barely have the power to get back to us. It's merely a minor inconvenience to us, however."

"Nature abhors dimensional abnormalities, and seals them neatly away so that they donít upset people.  Nature, in fact, abhors a lot of things, including vacuums, ships called the Marie Celeste, and the chuck keys for electric drills." -Pratchett

Offline Julia Rellek

• Experienced Member
  • User rating 60
    • View Profile
    • Email
    • Awards

• Activity Level
    82%
« Reply #78 on: April 22, 2017, 02:05:37 AM »
"Tried that, Captain," K'lizh said, taking a moment to reflect on just how useful the deflector was to a starship--a giant channel for energy allowed them to send and receive signals, emit shields, and just about anything an engineer imagined. Some science vessels even had two. Perhaps the Tempest would benefit herself from a second dish. He would have to consult with some of the boys in engineering on the possible benefits. "Our signals to the probe are being transmitted without problem. The signals from the probe only just barely have the power to get back to us. It's merely a minor inconvenience to us, however."

[Bridge]

Julia looked at the results as they began to come in. On her PADD she noticed an odd blip in the background. "Looks kind of like communications." She muttered.

"James, K'Lizh, take a look at that background. Does that look like signals from a communications system to you?"
Academy Commandant

Offline Solluk

• Competent Member
  • User rating 14
  • Life is not endurable without a sense of humor.
    • View Profile
    • Email
    • Awards

• Activity Level
    100%
  • Awards Awarded to any player who donates money to help keep SF running Awarded to players who successfully complete the EPC or OTC.
« Reply #79 on: April 22, 2017, 02:47:17 AM »
[Deck Ten, Forward]

"The other half," Solluk said, smirking, "is the thrill of it.  The thrill of the expanse and trying to control one's path in it.  There were many paths shut to me on Vulcan.  In space, all paths are open.  That is a surprisingly liberating and exhilarating feeling.  It was not a sensation I could articulate among my own kind.   A sense of wonder about space may be permitted.  Wonder is a facet of curiosity.  Exhilaration is... well, it is fun.  And fun was a secret I could hold close until an injury robbed me of that ability."

"But here, now?  I am free to confess it.  Another thrilling liberation."
  His teeth flashed as he looked to her.  "Your people's poets are as good as any I've heard.  I wonder, though... if a man sees space as an alluring, mysterious and beautiful veiled prospect for penetration... then what does an Orion woman see?"

At that moment, the Captain's voice came over the comms, warning of a potentially bumpy ride.

"Hmm," he observed, "Perhaps this is not the hour for a holodeck experience."

(tag)
http://www.shadowfleet.org/forum/index.php?action=profile;u=983
Click to access my profile which contains my character bio under 'about me.'

Offline Jada

• Competent Member
  • User rating 16
    • View Profile
    • Awards

• Activity Level
    100%
  • Awards Awarded to any player who writes the Post of the Month. Awarded to players who successfully complete the EPC or OTC.
« Reply #80 on: April 22, 2017, 03:21:13 AM »
[Deck Ten, Forward]

Jada was thinking of her response when the captain's message came over the intercom, and gave her her answer. 'Maybe she sees it as a bumpy ride to be enjoyed?' she returned with a smirk as the ship began to rattle. She was aware of the innuendo in Solluk's words; Orion language was almost wholly double-meaning. She wasn't sure what to make of that; she wasn't one to be led by her loins, especially not in this cycle. But she could enjoy the wordplay for what it was, verbal sparring and games. 'But, as for me, I can see it either way.'

'You had an injury?' she wondered, concerned. He didn't mean something like the scars she bore.
« Last Edit: April 22, 2017, 05:51:05 AM by Jada »

Offline Ian Galloway

• Competent Member
  • User rating 12
    • View Profile
    • Awards

• Activity Level
    100%
« Reply #81 on: April 22, 2017, 02:57:32 PM »
[Bridge]

As the Tempest entered the nebula the ship pitched downward and rolled to port briefly until Ian got a feel for the currents within the cloud. The worst part of the turbulence subsided once past the outer bands of the nebula and between figuring out how to ride the eddies and the inertia dampeners were enough to keep the Tempest on an even keel.

"Steady as she goes Ma'am, is there a heading ya want me ta take?"

Ian asked the captain while looking at the viewscreen and admiring the beauty of the nebula.

"Still not sure what was so important that we had ta go inside, but at least it makes up for the trip with the view."

[Bridge]

Julia looked at the results as they began to come in. On her PADD she noticed an odd blip in the background. "Looks kind of like communications." She muttered.

"James, K'Lizh, take a look at that background. Does that look like signals from a communications system to you?"

Ian frowned as he listened to the captain.

"What fool would be stupid enough ta be inside a nebula? Well, besides a Starfleet exploration fool I suppose."

Offline James H. Hawk

• Competent Member
  • User rating 34
    • View Profile
    • Awards

• Activity Level
    56%
  • Awards Awarded in January and July by the FCO to crew of the most friendly SIMM. Awarded to players who continue to contribute to the running of the SIMM. Awarded to the player whom the CO feels is worthy of recognition. Awarded to players who have been with the fleet for six months. Awarded to players who participate in a Spread the Word campaign.
« Reply #82 on: April 22, 2017, 11:59:35 PM »
[Bridge]

[Bridge]

James frowned slightly as he concentrated on reading his sensors. "Hmmm.....I think it does, Captain," James reported. "I wonder who would be out this far..."

Offline Klizh

• Competent Member
  • User rating 19
    • View Profile
    • My DA page
    • Awards

• Activity Level
    28%
« Reply #83 on: April 23, 2017, 02:30:36 AM »
[Bridge]

"Should I transmit a standard First Contact greeting, Captain?" K'lizh suggested. Thus far the Tempest had not taken part in any first contacts--he certainly didn't count that time they had been dumped on a desert as someone's experiment--and, well, K'lizh had always wanted to be part of one. Of course, it was just as likely that signal could be coming in from a race they already knew, but in that case the transmission would do no harm.

Offline James H. Hawk

• Competent Member
  • User rating 34
    • View Profile
    • Awards

• Activity Level
    56%
« Reply #84 on: April 24, 2017, 01:25:54 AM »
"Should I transmit a standard First Contact greeting, Captain?" K'lizh suggested. Thus far the Tempest had not taken part in any first contacts--he certainly didn't count that time they had been dumped on a desert as someone's experiment--and, well, K'lizh had always wanted to be part of one. Of course, it was just as likely that signal could be coming in from a race they already knew, but in that case the transmission would do no harm.

[Bridge]

"I'd recommend holding off on that. We don't know who they are. We should get closer and find out what they are doing here. I doubt we need to initiate First Conctact," James said. He was skeptical about what a ship would be doing out here. This part of space was close to where the Tzenkethi had been operating and hiding in a Nebula was the sort of thing they might attempt so James was on alert.

James noticed that the raidiation from the Nebula was putting more pressure on the shields than James had expected. It wasn't much of a problem yet but James wanted more power to the shields just in case so he tapped his combadge to speak to Engineering.

=/\= Commander Hawk to Engineering. I need some more power transferred to the shields. =/\=

Top RP SitesTop RP Sites TO INFINITY AND BEYOND Shadowplay Maelstrom Role Play Top 100 Original SciFi Sites RPG-D