Author Topic: Ray Bradbury  (Read 994 times)

Offline Rocket Rose

• Probationer
  • My attempt at snow sports needed Elton John music
  • Awarded to players who have been with the fleet for six months. Awarded in January and July by the FCO to crew of the most active SIMM. Awarded in January 2017 to all active members.
    • View Profile
    • Email
    • Awards
Ray Bradbury
« on: November 19, 2016, 03:16:41 AM »
Have you read any Ray Bradbury books? If so, which book is your favorite?
My personal favorite is Fahrenheit 451.

Offline Malcolm Adeyemi

• Command Level Officer
  • Ancient Member
  • Commanding Officer - Starbase Columbus
  • Awarded to any player who donates money to help keep SF running Awarded in January and July by the FCO to crew of the most friendly SIMM. Awarded in January and July to the player who writes the most engaging posts. Awarded to any player who stuck with the site during the June 2017 Site Move Awarded to any player who has been with the Fleet 3 Years
    • View Profile
    • Awards
Re: Ray Bradbury
« Reply #1 on: November 19, 2016, 03:37:08 AM »
I like the Martian Chronicles or The Illustrated Man, but F451 is fantastic too. 

Offline T'Lara

• Shadow Fleet Reserves
  • Awarded to Players who have been with the Fleet for one year. Awarded in January and July by the FCO to crew of the most active SIMM. Awarded in January 2017 to all active members. Awarded to players who successfully complete the EPC or OTC. Awarded to players who continue to contribute to the running of the SIMM.
    • View Profile
    • Email
    • Awards
« Reply #2 on: November 19, 2016, 02:53:44 PM »
Martian Chronicles is my absolute favourite. Leonard Nimoy narrated a couple of stories out of it.  :)
[

"Deep in the human unconscious is a pervasive need for a logical universe that makes sense. But the real universe is always one step beyond logic."

Offline Malcolm Adeyemi

• Command Level Officer
  • Ancient Member
  • Commanding Officer - Starbase Columbus
  • Awarded to any player who donates money to help keep SF running Awarded in January and July by the FCO to crew of the most friendly SIMM. Awarded in January and July to the player who writes the most engaging posts. Awarded to any player who stuck with the site during the June 2017 Site Move Awarded to any player who has been with the Fleet 3 Years
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #3 on: November 19, 2016, 02:55:20 PM »
Has anyone ever read Dandelion Wine?

Offline Rocket Rose

• Probationer
  • My attempt at snow sports needed Elton John music
  • Awarded to players who have been with the fleet for six months. Awarded in January and July by the FCO to crew of the most active SIMM. Awarded in January 2017 to all active members.
    • View Profile
    • Email
    • Awards
« Reply #4 on: November 19, 2016, 08:44:34 PM »
Has anyone ever read Dandelion Wine?
Yes, I have.

Offline Race Warez

• Awarded to any player who stuck with the site during the June 2017 Site Move Awarded to any player who has been with the Fleet 5 Years Awarded in January 2017 to all active members. Awarded in January and July by the FCO to crew of the most active SIMM. Awarded to the player who has greatly improved since the last awards ceremony.
    • View Profile
    • Email
    • Awards
« Reply #5 on: December 03, 2016, 05:45:00 PM »
I've read a lot of Bradbury. The Martian Chronicles are the best I think, but there is a reason kids are still taught F-451 in school. The number of predictions he got right about social/technological developments is almost psychic.
[

Offline Constance Lafayette

• Senior Flag Officer
  • I love the smell of paperwork in the morning.
  • Awarded to any player who stuck with the site during the June 2017 Site Move Awarded to any player who has been with the Fleet 2 Years Awarded by the FCO to the CO who has shown the best leadership. Awarded in January 2017 to all active members. Awarded in January and July by the FCO to crew of the most active SIMM.
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #6 on: February 27, 2017, 09:19:53 AM »
So the aforementioned stories are all well and good (particularly F451) but, in my humble opinion, Bradbury really shone in his high concept short stories. One of his best is "Frost and Fire". It includes the life and times of a species that only lives for a few days (anything else would be spoilers).

Rear Admiral Constance Lafayette
Commanding Officer, USS Athena
Academy Command Officer Instructor