Author Topic: Personal Log - Kali Reyes  (Read 5855 times)

Offline Kali Reyes

• Femme Fatale
  • Shadow Fleet Reserves
  • Veteran Member
  • Death isn't a joke, but life is.
  • Awarded to any player who has been with the Fleet 2 Years Awarded in January to the player with the best academy course. Awarded in January and July to the player with the best application. Awarded to players who go above and beyond what is asked of them. Awarded in January and July by the executive officer to a player of their SIMM.
    • View Profile
    • Awards
Personal Log - Kali Reyes
« on: July 26, 2016, 07:10:23 am »

Ugh, what's the stardate today? Nevermind. I'll just stamp it in manually later.

Is this where I pour my little heart out to the big brass who swear up and down that personal logs would be inadmissible in Starfleet JAG? Delete this.

On second thought - don't. I'll just try to make this as boring as possible. Welcome to the USS Discovery, yada, yada, yada. Read the spec manual, did my homework, can we fast forward through this? I'm a busy woman. I've never seen a stiffer orientation seminar since a Vulcan luau.

Operations is a bit of a bust, but what can you do about it? The first thing my supervisor gives me is a roster of a hundred names I'm supposed to put a face to and remember by department, shifts, and probably whether they prefer wheat or white bread. Did you know I have to go through three clock-in adjustments to get ONE crewman to come down from his post? This is bureaucracy hell, so thanks Grey. I'm sure this was your plan all along when you drafted me into Starfleet. Death by paperwork. I didn't bust my chops for two engineering degrees just to play yeoman for pencil pushers. And I've seriously started the tinkering withdrawals - and I think Engineering is being deliberately obtuse on purpose for my requests to mess with their nacelle configurations.

And the uniforms! What can I say? I look damn fine in them. Wish they were red though. I can definitely rock some hot colors. Ask the Argelian masseuse on Nautis II. On second thought - don't.

[End log.]
« Last Edit: June 30, 2018, 03:07:25 am by Kali Reyes »

Offline Kali Reyes

• Femme Fatale
  • Shadow Fleet Reserves
  • Veteran Member
  • Awarded to any player who has been with the Fleet 2 Years Awarded in January to the player with the best academy course. Awarded in January and July to the player with the best application. Awarded to players who go above and beyond what is asked of them. Awarded in January and July by the executive officer to a player of their SIMM.
    • View Profile
    • Awards
Re: Personal Log - Kali Reyes
« Reply #1 on: July 26, 2016, 03:44:46 pm »
Stardate... something, something.

[music plays in the background]

Don't worry about that. Just some classical 2330's music there. Yates hates it. Especially Shyera's album. She thinks the use of an electric Vulcan lyre is a faux pas towards one of our founding races. I, on the other hand, think it's a free form of cultural expression.

This has nothing to do with me annoying her, for the record. Well - maybe a little. The crewmen's quarters are just so small. Total lack of privacy. I'm sure half the deck can hear this little diary of mine going on. Should I spice it up for their sake?

Anyway, my first week on the Discovery is uneventful - at least on my end. Ops launched a shipwide alert for a suspicious person which doesn't help much. Anybody who puts salsa on their eggs in the morning is already suspicious to me. So, Crewman de Lancret is probably the murderer. Probably.

And then there's Crewman Bryan who I think is a crewman, but hell, I'm still trying to memorize my own list of officers to heckle. Never a seen a man more twitchy in my life. And believe me, I've seen plenty of men.

[inaudible banging in the background]

Hm. Looks like the neighbors don't appreciate Shyera either. Starfleet officers have no taste in music.

[End log.]
« Last Edit: June 30, 2018, 03:07:56 am by Kali Reyes »

Offline Kali Reyes

• Femme Fatale
  • Shadow Fleet Reserves
  • Veteran Member
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #2 on: August 08, 2016, 06:12:29 am »

Start-date, mhmmfhgh.

Start... no, that isn't right. Sundate. There it is. Sundate 34256.12345 - wow, do you see these shapes? Look how they tessellate! And you know what, I've never noticed that lamp before. Is that new?

Ugh. This is the last time I drink Saurian Brandy on TOP of Romulan Ale. I think my liver's going to set off radiological alarms the moment I step into Sickbay.

So, note to self: don't go to Sickbay. Easy enough. I still have 30... 32? hours of shore leave left. And this flat piece of metal they call a crewman's bed is calling out to me.

Second note to self: requisition nicer beds. If I do the labor for free, you think the Captain might approve it? I'll do the entire deck if I have to. Though maybe he'll have his hands full soon enough. I came back from the mess hall finding six out of twelve replicators producing only waffles. Crewman keys in a roast beef sandwich - pop! Comes out waffles! Waffles!

[Tiny squeal sound]

Whoever did that was a genius. I hope it was me.

Maybe it was. I wouldn't remember doing it. But if I did...!

[Another tiny squeal, followed by clapping]

[End log.]
« Last Edit: June 30, 2018, 03:08:18 am by Kali Reyes »

Offline Kali Reyes

• Femme Fatale
  • Shadow Fleet Reserves
  • Veteran Member
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #3 on: August 18, 2016, 04:13:59 pm »
[Psychiatric Log #1]

Bay: Begin log. Counselor Felicia Bay of the USS Discovery.

[Silence.]

Bay: Please state your name for the record, Crewman Reyes.

Reyes: Operations Crewman Kali Reyes, USS Discovery.

Bay: We are beginning Crewman Reyes' first psychiatric evaluation. Of course, this medical log is sealed and reviewable by only the medical staff, Starfleet's Enlisted Board, and Starfleet Command.

Reyes: And what a fabulous breach of privacy it is.

Bay: I see your sarcasm hasn't lost its bite since your time aboard a starship, Kali.

Reyes: Crewman Reyes.

Bay: And your defensive attitude towards the medical staff either.

Reyes: I don't have a problem with you, Bay. I've just got better things to do than play shrink and the mental case all day.

Bay: You're not a mental case, Crewman Reyes.

Reyes: You're the one with the degree, so it must be true.

Bay: Let's talk about your settling into the Discovery. How do you like it?

Reyes: It's fine.

Bay: This report says otherwise-

Reyes: Of course it does.

Bay: According to one of your crewmates, you have displayed certain tendencies.

Reyes: This'll be a riot.

Bay: Disregard for the chain of command-

Reyes: You flirt with the Quartermaster one time and the whole ship turns on its head.

Bay: Problematic attitude unfitting a Starfleet Officer.

Reyes: Just another way of saying I'm not a brain dead clout straight out of the Academy.

Bay: Textbook narcissism.

Reyes: Now we're getting somewhere. This just oozes Crewman Yates. Did you know she's jealous of my looks? Listened in on her personal log and everything.

Bay: You know, glibness is often a sign of low self-esteem. It's a defense mechanism to hide yourself from whatever emotional baggage you carry. You don't need to do that around me.

Reyes: Right, because that's your job.

Bay: Well, yes.

Reyes: Are we done here?

Bay: We just started.

Reyes: And it's ending. Is any of this interfering with my job?

Bay: There hasn't been any actual complaints from your superiors, no-

Reyes: Awesome. This was fun. Don't call me, I'll call you.

Bay: Crewman Reyes-

[End Log.]

« Last Edit: June 30, 2018, 03:08:47 am by Kali Reyes »

Offline Kali Reyes

• Femme Fatale
  • Shadow Fleet Reserves
  • Veteran Member
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #4 on: August 19, 2016, 06:27:09 am »
One day, I'm going to get the stardate right.

Anyhow, story time!

"No line, no soup!"
Exhibit A. Calming down fellow squatters on Tellur II.

I don't really want to retell my life story. Who has time for that? But I found this data chip of old photos in the back of my foot locker and I thought - hey, it'll be a way better story to retell than the daily operations on this ship. So we're starting from... hmm. After Risa? Yeah, I think so.

I took a very spiritual sabbath to the pleasure planet when I was seventeen. When your absent dad takes a permanent vacation off the mortal plane you kind of want to escape a bit. Still hated his guts, but hey, you don't speak ill of the dead. Unless you're Klingon. Then you just scream.

After what, a solar year of cruising? Sounds about right. When you party year round it starts to get stale and when you've seen a twenty manned, Orion-made pyramid at the Diamond Sand Lounge, you've seen them all. Risa, funny enough, was a breeding cesspool of extraterrestrial new age youth that wanted to make a difference in the galaxy - but were way too lazy and mouthy to put on their big boy pants and do it.

Except for one. His name was Dijon. Colony kid born and raised out in Alpha Centauri, bad head on his shoulders, and way too wimpy. But boy did he have heart. He was looking for colonists - and I mean effective colonists - not the freeloaders that wanted to camp out at a fantasy resort and let everyone else do the heavy work. No, he wanted nurses, engineers, farmers, the whole nine light years. There was a planet out in Tellurite territory that was locked in a stalemate by creeping Andorian scientists and Ferengi businessmen. One wanted to put an observatory, the other wanted to exploit and mine the rich minerals there. Typical colonial affairs bureaucratic tripe and sharing the planet was out of the question. Pride was one hell of a deal breaker. Easy peasy for my dad, except well - he was dead.

So then I thought 'well, I'm a Reyes. Time to put my colonial know-how to work for once'. So I cut the middleman and hopped on a half-dead freighter to Tellur II with the rest of the exo-ecoterrorists. Finders keepers, squatters rights, yada. Right under their noses. We set up shop so fast on that planet, I'm sure it gave even the Federation a good pause. I didn't really do it because I believed in the whole 'every colonist for themselves' schtick, but I kind of wanted to see where all of this was going. Worse case scenario we'd be nuked by hired thugs paid out the Ferengis' pockets or politely told to leave by Federation hall monitors.

In case of the former, I built two AA cannons out of spare scrap metal, a couple of unusable warp coils, and overheated fiber cables. They were only good for one good shot - then they'd either fall apart or blow up. But it was better than Ronix's alternative. He just wanted to blast the whole colony to make sure no one else could use it. Idiot.

There were only two engineers in this squatter colony - me and Ronix - if you can call Ronix an 'engineer'. The resume only required the ability to stick two cables together and fire a console up. So I guess that made Ronix almost under-qualified. He made a really good guinea pig though. When I wasn't patching up environmental units and the communication arrays, I was pulling up pipes for the irrigation system or making Ronix fan dance overheated tractor engines.

Sometimes I was even the cook. Then they learned the hard way and I was banned from ever picking up a spatula again. Instead I had to design replicators. Tch. I can't even be insulted. Somewhere down the line I ended up engaged to Dijon. I think I was drunk, but hell, he was probably the best I'll ever get with my impressive track record. You think a clean shaven Starfleet officer would ever take a second glance at someone who looked like she crawled through an oil pipe on a daily basis? Let's be real here.

"She was the one who proposed!"
[Video Clip - New Canton, Stardate 66272.90]

God, we were there for a good solar year? A year and a few months. That was pretty impressive for a couple of kids playing house on an alien planet. For one - brief - moment, I really thought this was going to work. Was I really going to marry Dijon? Was I cool with our future kids running around leaking shanties and tending crops instead of going to school and evolving with the rest of the galaxy?

That was when Grey - my godfather - answered my existential crisis for me. And he brought one hell of an armada.
« Last Edit: June 30, 2018, 03:09:25 am by Kali Reyes »

Offline Kali Reyes

• Femme Fatale
  • Shadow Fleet Reserves
  • Veteran Member
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #5 on: August 20, 2016, 05:49:22 am »
[Log Cont.]

Well that was one hell of a cliffhanger! I'd be proud if I could only remember where I left off - hold on.

[Previous entry replays]

That was when Grey - my godfather - answered my existential crisis for me. And he brought one hell of an armada.

Oh, okay. Now I remember. [sighs.] Well, let's talk about my favorite guy in the entire universe, shall we?

Grey's been around since, oh god, since I could form a coherent memory. He held me at my christening because he convinced dad that a little spiritual help never hurt any. I don't know if he's a very religious man, but he still observes certain holidays - at least more than I ever did. He was the 'God is within' believer - not the religious fanatics that observed the stars and pointed out where their human god physically lived. I never shared his views, but I never knocked it. Easter egg hunts are still top notch entertainment to me.

My dad and him liked to pretend they knew each other since primary school, but I was the better snooper. They both really met on a planet that decided to throw a bit of Nausicaan piracy to it. The planet burned, Grey took a missile to the face, and dad decided they should be best bros for life. Guilt makes for a wonderful friendship bracelet.

Back to me, though. God, I love Grey, but I'd never tell him. He's the only one in this damn galaxy that actually cares about me - like legitly cares. Not 'let's share a night' care or a pity care. Not 'DNA dictates it' care like my dad. He'll tear out his rosary and make deals with the devil just so he could pluck me out of the flames.

So I... well, maybe I decided to be a little godly for all the hair pulling I put him through. At the time, New Canton - did I forget the name of the colony earlier? Damn. Anyways, New Canton was finding resistance against these ho-dunk gun-for-hires the Ferengi bought to drive us out. Andoria couldn't even sneeze without the Federation knowing, so we thought the mercenaries were our only problem.

Then Grey finally got one of his bloodhounds to track me and brought a whole cabal of Federation officers and counter-exoterrorist squads planet-side. At the time, yeah, I think we were ready to bail off Tellur II. Peace was out the window, the other colonists were running scared, perimeters were fenced up from the head hunters like it was a theater of war, and colony life staggered into a standstill when Dijon caved and traded grain for weapons.

I was quickly promoted to weaponsmith instead of mechanic. I even doubled as a nurse because our only one got killed walking on a damned landmine getting water.

I want to say what happened wasn't war. It was a damned massacre. And everyone paid for it. The Ferengis especially got bit on the ears when the Federation caught wind of their mercenaries. Man, I really hope we hurt them good in the pocket. Greedy bastards.

We started with three hundred colonists. By the time the Federation arrived to clean up only a third of us were left. I only got lucky because I was the mechanic/surgeon/savior. No one else was alive and qualified for those positions, so I had a pretty decent militia watching my back 24/7 while I worked the comms for some kind of miracle.

I didn't like the militia. At all. Swertlvrlsh- hell, I can't pronounce that. I just called him Sweet Relish. He was a major ass. A giant tank of a Gorn and a mean-spirited warmonger. He led the militia, and the cabal, and all the tactical leadership tripe I didn't appreciate. And boy, did he make sure I was his personal yeoman on top of it. You know - because he protected my ass that meant I had to serve his. I still gag at the sight of a washboard.

When I gave him up to the Federation to plea down the charges, boy did he hate that. Gave him the Gorn equivalent of the finger too before he got shipped off in irons. Bastard.

I don't remember the exact moment we were rescued. What I do remember is the south watchtower collapsing on the farming equipment. There went any chance of salvaging the colony. Then there was a swarm - seriously, a swarm of armed mercenaries just gutting everyone in sight with Nausicaan swords, I'm not pulling your leg. At that point, it was every colonist for themselves. Phasers, yeah okay reasonable. But when you've got an army of paid guns waving swords around like they were the Mongolian army, then yeah. It freaks you out. Civilized people shouldn't be stabbing people like it's the middle ages!

Like I said before, that was all I remember. Grey made sure I went to the court-mandated therapy appointments, and the doctor diagnosed it as PTSD which was fantastic because it blocked all those not-so-good memories. I hate digging up the past. Hell, maybe I'm starting to hate retelling this ridiculous story.

So we've come to the wrap-up. I got charged with illegal squatting, five counts of operating a colony without Federation authorization, got slapped with a fine for interfering with Ferengi real estate (which got dropped quicker than latinum on Dabo), two counts of reckless exo-terrorism, and one for designing and distributing 'counter weapons of mass destruction' aka the sloppy AA cannons. Grey got all the charges down to a misdemeanor and I ended up grounded on colonial service to work them off. I don't know how he did it, but he must've had the entire galaxy owed to him or something.

Here's the thing with me. I don't... I can't think about New Canton. If I stop for a moment, I know it's gonna hit me something foul and who knows what'll happen. I've seen vets freak out over one death. I've seen nearly the entire colony massacred. I have to keep busy - think of something else to occupy this negative headspace - and Grey knew this.

I think that's why he drafted me into Starfleet. You can't really think about the bad things when you've got new ones to contend with. A starship can keep me busy. I can laugh and have fun and pretend none of this ever happened. It didn't happen. And if it did, it happened to someone else. I just observed it through a glass window. Clinical. History.

...when I was a kid, Grey got me a stone of smoky quartz. You'd think Mr. Model Starfleet would be above new age garbage like 'healing' crystals, but nope. He said it would detoxify of all the negative thoughts that brought me down. I believed him because I was ten and stupid and a little bit in love with him.

I lost it somewhere on whatever smoldering pile is left of New Canton. I kind of miss it.

Maybe I should've just talked about my boring shift instead.

[End Log.]
« Last Edit: June 30, 2018, 03:11:09 am by Kali Reyes »

Offline Kali Reyes

• Femme Fatale
  • Shadow Fleet Reserves
  • Veteran Member
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #6 on: September 03, 2016, 05:05:28 am »
[Psychiatric Log #2]

Bay: I'm sure you're as excited as I am about your monthly eval, Crewman Reyes?

Reyes: (sarcastic) I'm ecstatic.

Bay: Why don't we try something a bit light, hmm? Your father, for instance.

Reyes: (monotone) Former Head Chairman of Reyes Colonial Industries. He was assassinated along with the entire board in the Romulan Neutral Zone when I was seventeen. Official news sources claim Orion pirates were to blame, but within the colonial circuit-

Bay: -rumors abound that that the company's sketchy colonization efforts in neighboring star systems provoked the Romulans. I'm already aware of Starfleet's dossier on your father, Crewman Reyes. I want to hear your take on him.

Reyes: Your guess is as good as mine, doc. We weren't close. That's the take.

Bay: He sent you to many private learning institutions, extravagant vacations across the Alpha Quadrant, and left a sizable inheritance for you after his death.

Reyes: He drowned me in money, sure. Can't argue with that.

Bay: But it wasn't enough, was it?

Reyes: I like material possessions. I like power. So I guess he did his job well, huh?

Bay: Emotional support?

Reyes: He managed to charm a Vulcan into sharing a bed with him. That's the extent of his 'emotional range' I think.

Bay: That's right, you're part-Vulcan are you?

Reyes: More human than Vulcan, doc, and I like it that way.

Bay: What about your mother?

Reyes: Never met her. Don't have a name. I like it that way.

Bay: I'm sure you wondered about her when you were young. I did.

Reyes: You didn't have a mom?

Bay: She died when I was seven. Decompression accident aboard a starbase.

Reyes: Ouch. Sorry to hear that.

Bay: Thank you.

Reyes: I stopped thinking about her when I stopped believing in Santa Claus. Waiting around for someone who'll never walk through the door gets boring after a while.

Bay: Your father never talked to you about her?

Reyes: Funny thing, it was always a sore spot for him. He'd get so mad every time I mentioned her. I even made a game out of it until he had enough and went away for six months. Maybe he was too Vulcan for her so she bounced. Never looked back. I respect that. Not the 'abandoning your kid' part, but never looking back. The future is so much more entertaining than the past.

Bay: (surprised) You're an optimist.

Reyes: I'm a futurist.

[End Log.]
« Last Edit: June 30, 2018, 03:11:23 am by Kali Reyes »

Offline Kali Reyes

• Femme Fatale
  • Shadow Fleet Reserves
  • Veteran Member
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #7 on: September 04, 2016, 12:32:36 am »
Hello, universe! How's my jawline?

"Still perfect."
[Video Clip - USS Discovery, 71673.04]

I'm not gonna lie. I really didn't like being a Calabarian. First of all, have you seen their facial structures? Egads. It's like someone digitally slapped a warthog onto your face. It's not pretty, equality to all intergalactic races be damned. And there's always a chance - tiny chance - that the docs wouldn't be able to put you back together at the end of the day.

I've been checking myself out in the mirror for the past hour looking for any imperfections that would make for one hell of a complaint report. Yeah it's petty, but I like my face. I was born with this face. I own this face.

But I guess not all of Calabar was bad. The time pieces for one - utter beauty. There's nothing I appreciate more than complex machinery and Calabar had it in spades. I really wish I could have at least snatched one for myself. I'll just have to settle from memory... maybe recreate the piece when I'm off-duty. Yeah... that's an idea.

Here, wait. Pause this log. Lemme just get a holomodel designed out at least!

Calabar time was converted to Terran.

I think brass would make it timeless - or maybe platinum? But it would probably blend into the bulkhead and we don't want that. This is a stunner. It needs to be seen! Brass it is. Next time we go on an away mission, can I just... sight see? Boldly go? Hell, I could use a good tea party with those jolly tusked beans.

Yates might even enjoy this next project. Lord knows how many times she's complained about the vintage headphones I've been trying to fix. Instant classic - got it from a junk bin back on Earth. It's really hard collecting antiques pre-1990's what with the Eugenics Wars laying down the hate on everything precious in this world.

Isn't it a beaut?! AKG K142!

Only thing left to do is do a little fiber optic conversion to wirelessly pick up the music from my PADD, but I'm really digging the AUX wire. It's vintage! It needs to be tangling all over the place to complete the look! So for now, it's just gonna connect manually to my PADD. It might even drown out Yates' snoring!

[End log.]
« Last Edit: June 30, 2018, 03:11:37 am by Kali Reyes »

Offline Kali Reyes

• Femme Fatale
  • Shadow Fleet Reserves
  • Veteran Member
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #8 on: September 05, 2016, 01:42:13 am »
[Personal Video Transmission from Grey Ryder #1]

[Connection established.]

Kali: Grey!

Grey: You look tired.

Kali: And you look like a fossil. How can you say that?! 

Grey: I'm speaking candid. As should you.

Kali: You're saying I'm ugly.

Grey: You're not ugly, Kali. You've always been beautiful.

Kali: Aw, you really love me.

Grey: (scoffs)

Kali: You're the only one who does.

Grey: It's a big quadrant, Kali. That remains to be seen.

Kali: (laughs) Mr. Optimist. So what's up? You're calling really late. Not liking retirement?

Grey: Every damn day since.

Kali: Well I'm sure dad's severance package can fix that for ya. Get a permanent suite on any luxury planet in the quadrant and go nuts.

Grey: I look at you and I see bulkheads and that shift chronometer over your shoulder and it makes me jealous. What I wouldn't give to go back to shared bunk beds and ship-wide drills every morning.

Kali: I'll trade you.

Grey: (smiles) You wouldn't.

Kali: (sighs) Yeah. Guess not. I hate you. You know that?

Grey: Every time I call you.

Kali: You put me on a desk job.

Grey: An administration job isn't going to kill you. You learn patience - something you fundamentally lack.

Kali: Yawn. That can't be it.

Grey: You're saving me two hypos a week with my blood pressure.

Kali: Now we're speaking candidly. Yup, that's me. Always making a man's heart skyrocket.

[Silence.]

Kali: Oh god. You don't really think- I know the chain of command!

Grey: I was worried about this when I enlisted you. I even warned your drafting board. Your... thing for men of authority...

Kali: Nope.

Grey: That young man from New Canton you almost married was the de facto leader of the colony.

Kali: That's not-

Grey: Professor Dandridge from Advanced Mechanical Engineering.

Kali: To be fair, everyone had some sort of crush on him. Have you ever seen a live demonstration of him taking apart an engine-

Grey: Mr. Redgrave from primary academy.

Kali: (huffs) It was a real shame that he was married too. He could have waited another ten years... alright, I see your point. But this is different. I'm trying to be a civilized Starfleet officer here.

Grey: Well good.

Kali: And it's not like I can get away with it. It's a starship. People talk.

Grey: That's one way of putting it.

Kali: I mean sure, I'll flirt with a crewman here and there, but never above my pay grade. I know better.

Grey: Clearly.

Kali: Even when my Captain is the cutest thing since sliced bread.

[Connection terminated.]

Kali: And here I thought he wanted me to be candid.

[End video log.]
« Last Edit: July 28, 2018, 02:11:15 pm by Kali Reyes »

Offline Kali Reyes

• Femme Fatale
  • Shadow Fleet Reserves
  • Veteran Member
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #9 on: September 11, 2016, 03:18:14 am »
[Personal log from Sickbay. Privacy Code DSVRY-Alpha LTCO-814]

My previous logs are unreadable. Corrupted. That can't be normal. I can't even use it in my defense, so now they all think I've cracked or... or gone insane. Isn't them's the breaks? Anything technological I can prove is either wiped or hell, it may not even exist in the first place.

First thing's first. Let's say something really funky happened. I can't believe I've gotta do a refresher on old holovids back in the 2250's. If there was any other ship that's been through even weirder crap, it has to be the Enterprise under Kirk's command. Kirk had his mirror universe, I've got something as ridiculous as a switch in departments.

It could have been anybody else dealing with this stitch. Why did it have to be me? Over here, universe. I'm just a crewman.

Let's see, let's see... I know we cut corners and deviated into an benign anomaly. Last dossier from Science called it boring last time we went through it. They still say it's boring. But these kinds of things don't happen on a whim...

[Silence.]

...it's really hard to concentrate when every five minutes I'm being checked on. I hate Sickbay. I'd rather get shot into airlock. Still deciding on it.

And my Captain - err, Ensign Briggs, wow. I'm keeping my eye on him because they don't know how important he is. I do. He's more important than my own life. Way more. And he needs to get back on that command chair. I can't leave it like this.

I miss his pips. I miss his red uniform.

What would he do? Hell, what would XO Wu do? I haven't found him at all. I need to.

I have to convince them. But it's pissing me off because every idea I have for evidence is just shot down like nothing. Personal logs? A bust. Personal PADD? It's like someone else wrote these up. Whoever this Kali was - the Security Chief Kali - she's one hell of a bore. Starfleet's dragged her by her ankles. That's not happening to me.

This mission was supposed to be a nice snooze-fest. The diplomats doesn't seem to be affected by the anomaly, but who knows? I wouldn't. They could have switched destinies too. Which means the Discovery's gonna be knee-deep in crap if this mystery doesn't get squared away. We've gotta turn back around... or at least slow down the trip to Melon... Melion. Whatever.

Sabotage? Too difficult. What a stupid idea. Do I look like Section 31? I won't be able to prove everything if I get caught banging around the warp core. I might even be drawn up by my toes and quartered in the brig for it. Then no one's gonna be able to fix this.

Before I clocked out last night, everything was fine. I went to bed with Sinatra and woke up. I didn't even realize I was in a different room on a completely separate deck. Maybe my mind was partially scrambled - so what didn't scramble the rest of it?

Oh. What if...

I have to reach Deck 2.

[End log.]
« Last Edit: June 30, 2018, 03:12:21 am by Kali Reyes »

Offline Kali Reyes

• Femme Fatale
  • Shadow Fleet Reserves
  • Veteran Member
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #10 on: October 03, 2016, 03:52:46 am »
Cortical stims, rehabilitation shots, productivity down 15%...

That's not me talking. This is what I'm reading of my diagnosis. And I'm so sore... sickbay might as well be my second home well - that and this desk. My report's so long I might just send it in to the Federation Ex Scientia as my thesis. A little recognition here and there might make up for this mess.

It's divine justice, no heads or tails about that. I go soft for some alien babe and before I know it, I have to get my brain checked for neural hemorrhaging. See, this is why I hate kids.

My head feels like cotton ball. There's a bit of scarring at the site where the psi abilities should kick in, but I've been psi-null for God knows how long. Might as well have been my appendix.

I know it's not real. That thing was feeding on this... illusion and taking everyone on this ship with it. What I saw wasn't real. No one was real.

Shouldn't have hugged the hell out of my Second Officer too. That was embarrassing. And unprofessional. And I was literally in my undies. I'm never gonna live that one down, am I? It's just... he doesn't know, he wasn't there. It wasn't right.

My dream was nice. I have to admit that. People liked me - actually knew me. They don't know me here. Reality just sucks and half the time I feel so pissed off being manipulated like this and the other half I'm moping and licking my wounds and... !

And... well. I gotta get over this. Better than dead, at least.

But man does it hurt. It hurts a lot. But at least no one knows it but me. And maybe you.

They weren't real but... they were real to me.

God, I'm so tired.

[End Log.]
« Last Edit: June 30, 2018, 03:12:33 am by Kali Reyes »

Offline Kali Reyes

• Femme Fatale
  • Shadow Fleet Reserves
  • Veteran Member
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #11 on: November 26, 2016, 01:43:18 am »
I... um. Wow, it's been awhile. How have you been?

And by that I mean me. No one's going to read through my personal logs unless I'm dead and they want to make a biography on the Discovery. Not sure how they'll grab every officer that was aboard this ship - everyone is either transferring or retiring. So yeah, the ship is changing hands and I need a break. Seriously.

So I guess we'll start again. Hello me. How has me been?

Well, for starters I've been Chief of Operations for a bit now. I guess that's exciting. It just means more paperwork and a hell of a lot more crewmen to remember. I haven't even made a dent in paperwork. On the plus side, hey - I got a bed all to myself in the Officer Quarters. Now Yates can stop complaining.

...personally I think she's sad I'm gone. She's probably still crying her eyes out. So sad, but I get it. I'm just too awesome to let go!

I did a bit of redecorating. I got a mean papasan sitting nearby that's ridiculously comfy. The perks of being the babydoll in charge of the requisition forms is fantastic.

Babydoll. God, I miss Grey. I really, really do. And it's a thousand times worse now that I haven't even made audio contact with him in months. Getting really tired of his secret job bullcrap. I'm desperate here. I need a cuddle. And now that we're flying by around Bajor, it really sucks not having someone to bounce ideas (and other things) off of while on shore leave.

I can't even talk to him anymore. What's up with that? Should... go to church or something. He'd probably say being closer to God would help with the loneliness, but I just wanna be closer to him.

Aw, screw it. I'm gonna find the seediest nightclub off-world and go to town. Doing mature things makes me itch. Don't wait up, sweetie.

[End Log.]
« Last Edit: June 30, 2018, 03:12:48 am by Kali Reyes »

Offline Kali Reyes

• Femme Fatale
  • Shadow Fleet Reserves
  • Veteran Member
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #12 on: December 03, 2016, 05:16:59 pm »
[Audio Log - SS Bermuda outside Tellur II, Medical Bay]

Medic 1: (Indecipherable) ...get the blood transfusion!

Kali: Not compatible.

Grey: They know what they're doing.

Medic 2: Genome calibrated. Synthesizing Rh copper to iron in two minutes.

Kali: I can't feel your hand.

Grey: I'm holding it, babydoll.

Kali: I can't...

Grey: Then squeeze harder.

Medic 1: Her left kidney's completely collapsed. We're gonna have to sedate her before we operate.

Kali: How many?

Medic 1: One, Ms. Reyes.

Kali: No. How many dead?

Grey: Don't worry about that now.

Kali: Oh god.

Medic 2: Blood conversion complete. Administering sedative.

Grey: Not yet.

Medic 2: Commander-

Grey: Another word from you and I'll have one of your kidneys replace hers.

Kali: W-what's wrong with my kidney?

Grey: Kali, the Ferengi that had claim on New Canton. Was his name Nibox?

Kali: Why?

Grey: I need to know.

Kali: Yeah.

Grey: Okay.

Kali: You gonna interrogate me on the... on the operating table?

Grey: No, baby. That's all I need to know.

Kali: I'm getting dizzy.

Medic 1: Commander, while she's still awake and stabilized-

Kali: I'm sorry for running. My fault. My-

Grey: Baby, shh.

Medic 1: -she might have more information for the broker.

Grey: That's not your concern. I'm running this mission. It goes my way.

Medic 2: Heart rate's spiking. We're gonna need to sedate her before we send her to the table, Commander. Are we finished?

Grey: We're done.

Kali: How did you find me?

Grey: You can't hide from me, babydoll.

Medic 2: Commander, we're receiving a transmission from the Director.

Grey: Patch it-

[Log Corrupted.]

It took you an army to come get me. I didn't wonder until now what you had to pay to get it.
« Last Edit: June 30, 2018, 03:13:00 am by Kali Reyes »

Offline Kali Reyes

• Femme Fatale
  • Shadow Fleet Reserves
  • Veteran Member
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #13 on: January 27, 2017, 12:02:02 am »

Miss me?

I'm gonna lock this up later. No one really needs to know my personal life except for me. But my stomach's a mess of pleasure and confusion and more pleasure and it's kind of hard to contain it. Guess that's what happens when you meet someone you kind of want to sleep with for most - if not all of your life. I never felt this with Dijon, so I'm kind of hoping that wherever he is in the afterlife he's cool with the fact that I kinda want to shack up with this guy instead of pining for a dead guy.

That's kind of insensitive. I'm kind of insensitive, but Dijon liked me for some reason, so maybe I'm not that mean. Or maybe he was seriously whipped.

I don't want to whine and moan like a schoolgirl, but it's really, really hard not to. First love always feels like a ridiculous high no matter who you are, though in my case it's probably the twenty-fifth, twenty-sixth love? I've had plenty of them, but this one's sticking around a lot longer than I expected. That's kind of scary.

I'm kind of like - I don't know - like I'm waiting for the other shoe to drop. You know what I mean? He's gonna wake up one day, realize that while the physical aspect was awesome, I'm not good for the long run and then break it off. I'm not a model officer, hell - not even a model person. I lie, I whine, I complain, I drink too much, I'm lazy. Who'd in their right mind would stay for that? I wouldn't. I'm trying to be realistic here. I don't want to make a giant fool of myself. That would suck a lot more.

My ego topples nations. Didn't you know?

But when someone makes you want to do better, makes you want to improve, it's kind of like a carrot dangling in front of a horse. You gotta do it. You want that carrot. You want to rush and run and do whatever you can just for a taste of it. I want to please. I don't know how to, but I want to try. I don't want to give him the opportunity to say 'nah'. I want to reach into my neural circuitry like I'm some kind of drone and start cleaning it up a bit so I'm not an embarrassment. I want to make him happy. That scares me too.

Man, I'm gonna hurt so bad when he leaves.

[End log.]
« Last Edit: June 30, 2018, 03:13:12 am by Kali Reyes »

Offline Kali Reyes

• Femme Fatale
  • Shadow Fleet Reserves
  • Veteran Member
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #14 on: January 27, 2017, 05:08:49 am »
[Initializing test memory sequence... database acquired. Scanning [ID 4601 // PCO Reyes, Kali] personal log...]

[INPUT: wakey, wakey, cinderella]

CINDERELLA: Hello, Fairy Godmother.

Kali: And they say hocked tech was a bad thing. Thanks for that bug report, SI. Completely helped map this pretty lady's neural pathways.

CINDERELLA: I'm afraid you're misinformed, ma'am. You see, I am an AI. Nothing more.

Kali: Hmm. I'm not sure if I forgot to implant a personality matrix in there or not. Tell a joke?

CINDERELLA: I would, but your outfit would be the punchline.

Kali: Woooow. An AI with dry wit. That's not original like... ever. Want me to update you with a nicer disposition?

CINDERELLA: I am at your disposal.

Kali: Maybe for another date. Think you can glean anything about me from my personal files?

CINDERELLA: You are a very opportunistic individual with self-confidence issues.

Kali: You know, if I wanted a shrink, I could have gone to sickbay. I was thinking more in the lines of... uh... I dunno. Like using your database coding to cross-ref my talents to an appropriate job. Like flight, maintenance, weapons engineer...?

CINDERELLA: I am programmed to be your advanced placement AI. You are in Operations and have been promoted favorably there. I am unable to understand why you would request a second opinion on where you should go.

Kali: Oh, come on. You know you want to. Tell me, tell me!

CINDERELLA: Pirate queen.

Kali: ...pirate queen?

CINDERELLA: Orion, to be exact.

Kali: You're kidding.

CINDERELLA: Your personality matrix indicates you wield charm and charisma like a weapon. Like a female Orion captain, a simple act of promise and seduction would draw a sufficient enough crew to control. Your previous experience with questionable company and cultural abnorms would be advantageous in ruthless diplomacy. Your schooling and training is a valuable asset cutting the cost on maintaining a small cruiser. Knowledge of Starfleet protocol would also help navigate and plunder trading routes and avoidance with authorities.

Kali: Hmmm. Now that IS tempting.

CINDERELLA: Perhaps an information scrub is in order. This is only an alpha test of my abilities after all.

Kali: Oh, no, no. Let's see where this goes. Pirate queen, huh? Think you can do Doctor Cottle next?

[Connection Interrupted.]
« Last Edit: June 30, 2018, 03:13:29 am by Kali Reyes »

RPG-D Sci-Fi Avatars RPG Initiative RPGfix RPG Initiative Fodlan Chronicles