Mission 1.1: Language of the Gods

Started by Constance Lafayette, May 31, 2016, 06:24:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Constance Lafayette

Captain's Log:
"On our maiden voyage we have been dispatched to the Nyrelix System. Devoid of life save for a small mining colony, it is a low-resource system of high priority. Every century a wormhole near the sector opens for one twenty-two hour period.  Each time it opens it brings with it a great outpouring of transmission signals that overwhelm the local system's capacity to record or interpret it. The last time even the fragments of the information advanced our understanding of medical science by two hundred years in certain areas. The Athena has been given the task of supplementing the local system's array by recording data.

The danger is that once the wormhole starts we will be in sensor blackout due to the massive barrage of data and deadly radiation. We must record what we can in the time given and survive long enough to bring it back. This will be a trial by fire, of that I am confident. We can't be the only one with our eye on this information."

[Bridge]

Captain Lafayette was a small woman with intense, intelligent, eyes. She regarded the readout on her PADD with a hawkish expression. Constance had come up through the ranks first as a nurse then as an operations officer, and finally as a first officer so her training did not include a highly scientific background. She was no genius, no great hero, no warrior of renown. In fact it was that she was not special that made her advancement so special. She was a great student, first and foremost. She worked hard, knew how to memorize and internalize data at an alarming rate. So, while she didn't understand the medical and scientific jargon being used to describe the discoveries obtained from the last event in the Nyrelix System, she understood their importance.

=/\="Lafayette to Ops. How goes the installation of the auxiliary computer core? Starfleet's predictions show the wormhole opening within 30 minutes of our arrival time."=/\=

They had been armed with a large advanced auxiliary computer- one designed to quickly take in large chunks of the firehose of information they were going to be bombarded with when they arrived in 2 hours.

Rear Admiral Constance Lafayette
Commanding Officer, USS Athena
Academy Command Officer Instructor

Malcolm Adeyemi

[XO's Office - USS Athena]

"The bastards had the captain held hostage in the ready room," Stafford was saying. When he told a story he was prone to use voices. His aliens all sounded shrill and nasal. His women were coquette and he accompanied them with batting eyelashes that looked so comical on his rough face that it reduced grown men to tears. And any villain was the eerie caricature of the gravely voice of the president of the Federation.

"They sent me in there to rescue him with nothing but a hypospray and my wits." He went on. "This alien--"

"The Brocksnan, sir?" Asked the junior officer in blue.

"Braxian. Pay attention, ensign." Stafford grinned. "The Braxians were like baby gorilla roaches that spit acid and had a poison bite. Reminded me of my ex-wife."

When the laughter died down Stafford continued. "The hypo was meant for the CO, but the aliens broke in and put me into a bear hug like a wrestler. Squeezed yesterday's breakfast right out of me."

"And the captain was wounded?" Asked another ensign in yellow.

"Wounded and out of commission." He confirmed. "The hypospray got in the way before my ribs could be crushed. The cure reacted badly with their physiology, so bad that the entire--"

"=/\=Chief Bortas to Stafford. The stores are ready to be inspected, sir.=/\="

"=/\=Acknowledged. Standby.=/\=" The XO frowned at the group of officers assembled before him. "Sorry, kids. Story time is over"

And with it went the camaraderie and familiarity he so enjoyed with his men. Stafford had gone from a night shift nurse with no pips to a commander, to an ensign, and then back. He knew Starfleet inside and out. No matter how much he enjoyed rubbing elbows with the crew, duty came first.

"To your duty stations." The commander said. "Meet me later in the Mess for the end of the story."

"We know the end, we can read the file." One officer replied. "Sir."

"But you can't get an eyewitness account from a file, ensign. It's one thing to read or study something, and another to have lived it. I have always learned more from the latter. Remember that." Stafford led the group out of his office and made his way to the quartermaster.

William Waring

Quote from: Constance Lafayette on May 31, 2016, 06:24:31 PM

Captain's Log:
"On our maiden voyage we have been dispatched to the Nyrelix System. Devoid of life save for a small mining colony, it is a low-resource system of high priority. Every century a wormhole near the sector opens for one twenty-two hour period.  Each time it opens it brings with it a great outpouring of transmission signals that overwhelm the local system's capacity to record or interpret it. The last time even the fragments of the information advanced our understanding of medical science by two hundred years in certain areas. The Athena has been given the task of supplementing the local system's array by recording data.

The danger is that once the wormhole starts we will be in sensor blackout due to the massive barrage of data and deadly radiation. We must record what we can in the time given and survive long enough to bring it back. This will be a trial by fire, of that I am confident. We can't be the only one with our eye on this information."

[Bridge]

Captain Lafayette was a small woman with intense, intelligent, eyes. She regarded the readout on her PADD with a hawkish expression. Constance had come up through the ranks first as a nurse then as an operations officer, and finally as a first officer so her training did not include a highly scientific background. She was no genius, no great hero, no warrior of renown. In fact it was that she was not special that made her advancement so special. She was a great student, first and foremost. She worked hard, knew how to memorize and internalize data at an alarming rate. So, while she didn't understand the medical and scientific jargon being used to describe the discoveries obtained from the last event in the Nyrelix System, she understood their importance.

=/\="Lafayette to Ops. How goes the installation of the auxiliary computer core? Starfleet's predictions show the wormhole opening within 30 minutes of our arrival time."=/\=

They had been armed with a large advanced auxiliary computer- one designed to quickly take in large chunks of the firehose of information they were going to be bombarded with when they arrived in 2 hours.

[Auxillary Computer Bay - Jefferies Tube]

Will was laying flat on his back as he worked inside the tight quarters of the access corridor. He was positioned head-to-head with a Bolian Engineer. As they worked to begin the first of a series of diagnostics, he heard the hatch open the sound of a Vulcan male at the opening.

"Sir, the Captain is requesting an update on our progress."

Will lifted his head and hit it off the tube, much to the enjoyment of the Bolian and the irritation of the Vulcan. "Put her on" he said as he slid his way out and stood up.

=A= Waring here Captain. Physical installation is complete. We are beginning to power the core up and begin diagnostics. My best estimates put the completion time to just under two hours. =A=

RESERVED

James Carter

[Quarters]

James slowly paced around the room reading a PADD with information based on the last time the wormhole opened. There were a lot of unknowns to factor in which excited him more than anything. He adored puzzles, solving puzzles was what he did best. It's why he was a code breaker before he joined Star Fleet. Looking over to the clock next to his bed he let out a small sigh. He didn't have anymore time. His first shift as a department head would be beginning within minutes. At least he knew he wouldn't be bored.

[Armory]

James entered quietly and looked between everyone currently on shift. "Alright, listen up everyone." He said in a tone that demanded respect. "This could get bumpy. Anything could happen, and we need to be ready for it all. So, I want all on duty security personnel carrying a standard Type-2 phaser in a holster. You all need to make sure everyone gets one. Got it?"

"Yes sir."

"Good." James paused a moment before he went to leave. "Good work everyone."

"Sir, wait. You don't have a weapon."

James paused before he turned back around and going to get a Type-2 and holster. "Good catch mate." He replied with a grin strapping on the holster before he turned to leave again.

[Bridge]

Quietly again James entered the bridge. He still had a few minutes before his shift started, but he walked over to the tactical station anyways. "You're relieved ensign." The young Englishmen said with a charismatic smile.

Ser Conley

[Bridge]

"It even has that new helm smell." Ser thought as he sat at his new station.  He was a little surprise when the transfer order made its way down to him, especially the promotion.  He though Starfleet barely care about him when they gave him the Lieutenant Junior Grade rank.  But he accepted it, to get back into Starfleet.  Maybe it was just a test or they real need someone with experience at the helm.  Ser did know, or really care at this point he had a new toy to play with.

"Captain, I been thinking.  Before we get to our destination.  I like to test the engines.  New engine may have some... Quarks.  Give me ten minutes.  I make sure we get to where we're going on time." He said.

"May you live as long as you want to, and want to as long as you live."-Irish toast

Jamie McConnell

[Botany Lab]

Jamie tucked a strand of dark hair behind her pointy Vulcan ears as she leaned over and studied the insect in the order of Hymenoptera.  It was on of the largest of its kind and came from Earth's Amazon region.  Called a bullet ant, it was black and had the largest mandibles whose bite was quite painful.  The Vulcan hybrid woman grinned fondly at the insect finding it one of the most functional and perfectly evolved creatures on Earth.  "There we go my beauty."  She reached in with a pair of pinchers and reached in the ant compound for a nice specimen.

The compound was made of glass where observers could see the series of tunnels that the ants made for their dwelling.  It was a large thing and kept deep within the Botany lab where the insects could be kept as close to their natural environment as possible.  Jamie had asked Dr.  Sigurdsdottir the head of the science department to meet her at the ant exhibit in order to help her with a project she had in mind.  However, Jamie was still just an ensign, new to all of this and she only hoped the red haired department head would hear her out.  She would, however, be perfectly happy if the scientist would send another scientist in her place; anyone to help her dream.

The pinchers clasped unto a nice specimen which wiggled around as it tried to escape.  Jaime could already see the creature's mandibles trying to latch onto something.  It twisted in its desperate urge to cause pain to whatever had grabbed it and causing Jamie to grin even harder. "Oh no, little one."  She chuckled as she continued talking to the insect as if it could hear her.  "You're not getting me that easily.  I've got plan for you, my little one."   Jamie paused and tilted her head to one side suddenly becoming aware that she was on the verge of sounding like a mad scientist.  She shrugged it away though, finding it rather interesting.  Mad scientist or crazy doctor, either described her.

Human/Vulcan Hybrid
"Tis better to have it and not need it, than need it and not have it!"

Ruth Sigurdsdottir

Quote from: Jamie Shen on June 01, 2016, 01:17:23 PM

[Botany Lab]

Jamie tucked a strand of dark hair behind her pointy Vulcan ears as she leaned over and studied the insect in the order of Hymenoptera.  It was on of the largest of its kind and came from Earth's Amazon region.  Called a bullet ant, it was black and had the largest mandibles whose bite was quite painful.  The Vulcan hybrid woman grinned fondly at the insect finding it one of the most functional and perfectly evolved creatures on Earth.  "There we go my beauty."  She reached in with a pair of pinchers and reached in the ant compound for a nice specimen.

The compound was made of glass where observers could see the series of tunnels that the ants made for their dwelling.  It was a large thing and kept deep within the Botany lab where the insects could be kept as close to their natural environment as possible.  Jamie had asked Dr.  Sigurdsdottir the head of the science department to meet her at the ant exhibit in order to help her with a project she had in mind.  However, Jamie was still just an ensign, new to all of this and she only hoped the red haired department head would hear her out.  She would, however, be perfectly happy if the scientist would send another scientist in her place; anyone to help her dream.

The pinchers clasped unto a nice specimen which wiggled around as it tried to escape.  Jaime could already see the creature's mandibles trying to latch onto something.  It twisted in its desperate urge to cause pain to whatever had grabbed it and causing Jamie to grin even harder. "Oh no, little one."  She chuckled as she continued talking to the insect as if it could hear her.  "You're not getting me that easily.  I've got plan for you, my little one."   Jamie paused and tilted her head to one side suddenly becoming aware that she was on the verge of sounding like a mad scientist.  She shrugged it away though, finding it rather interesting.  Mad scientist or crazy doctor, either described her.

Botany Lab

Ruth stepped out of the turbolift and started towards the ant exhibit.  She thought it was slightly strange that the young Ensign had requested the meeting but it had piqued her interest and well here she was.

"Well Ensign, you certainly pick the most interesting conversationalists!" she chuckled and held out her hand. "Lt. Sigurdsdottir, CSO.  How can I help you?  And please make it as quick as you can.  I don't mean to be rude but it seems like we have a..." she dropped her voice to a conspiratorial whisper so the cadets on the other side of the room couldn't hear. "...shitstorm of data about to come our way with this wormhole we are going to be monitoring. Actually, ..."

Ruth rubbed the back of her neck in the customary way she had when she was slightly nervous, the woman was around her age and she felt she could trust her.

"You're in medical, right?!  How about I help you with this, you help me with something I'm probably going to be needing some medical help."

She chuckled.  "Oh not like that!  I know I'm totally fitting the 'mad scientist' role here but nope... how hot are you on radiation poisoning?  I'm pretty sure we might have a few cases of that coming up soon, or least we need to find a way to avoid it if at all possible.  Now what do you want with my ants?!"

"If I were human I believe my response would be "go to hell." If I were human."

Jamie McConnell

Quote from: Ruth Sigurdsdottir on June 01, 2016, 02:46:15 PM

Botany Lab

Ruth stepped out of the turbolift and started towards the ant exhibit.  She thought it was slightly strange that the young Ensign had requested the meeting but it had piqued her interest and well here she was.

"Well Ensign, you certainly pick the most interesting conversationalists!" she chuckled and held out her hand. "Lt. Sigurdsdottir, CSO.  How can I help you?  And please make it as quick as you can.  I don't mean to be rude but it seems like we have a..." she dropped her voice to a conspiratorial whisper so the cadets on the other side of the room couldn't hear. "...shitstorm of data about to come our way with this wormhole we are going to be monitoring. Actually, ..."

Jamie was not startled when Ruth walked up to her.  Her sharp Vulcan hearing had heard the tall redhead approach and this was good, because she did not want to drop the ant she was holding.  One sucker alone could deleaf a bush, let alone the pain it would cause if it bit someone.  "Wormhole?"  The news almost did make her drop the insect, but Jamie held tight and turned to the department head.  "That's fascinating."  Jamie gave her a lopsided grin and showed the other woman the ant.  "Paraponera Clavata."  She informed the scientist with a wiggle of her slanted but well manicured eyebrows.
Quote from: Ruth Sigurdsdottir on June 01, 2016, 02:46:15 PM

Ruth rubbed the back of her neck in the customary way she had when she was slightly nervous, the woman was around her age and she felt she could trust her.

"You're in medical, right?!  How about I help you with this, you help me with something I'm probably going to be needing some medical help."

She chuckled.  "Oh not like that!  I know I'm totally fitting the 'mad scientist' role here but nope... how hot are you on radiation poisoning?  I'm pretty sure we might have a few cases of that coming up soon, or least we need to find a way to avoid it if at all possible.  Now what do you want with my ants?!"

Jamie shrugged at the other woman's slight discomfort.  It was unusual to find a medical doctor in the scientists domain, but Jamie was altogether uncommon anyway.  "Well I can't keep them in sickbay!"  She responded and pouted, "I tried and got yelled at."  The Vulcan concluded with a sheepish grin.  "Anyway, this little sucker is used by the indigenous tribes of the Amazon as a staple to close open wounds.  So my idea is this, why not build nanites that can do the same job but inside the body.  It would help in combat situations when we can't get the wounded to a surgery theatre right away.  What do you think?  Do you have someone that could help me with this project?"

Jamie paused for a moment, "Radiation poisoning?"  Her eyebrow popped up in typical Vulcan fashion, now that was indeed, fascinating. 

Human/Vulcan Hybrid

Ruth Sigurdsdottir

Quote from: Jamie Shen on June 01, 2016, 03:32:08 PM

Jamie was not startled when Ruth walked up to her.  Her sharp Vulcan hearing had heard the tall redhead approach and this was good, because she did not want to drop the ant she was holding.  One sucker alone could deleaf a bush, let alone the pain it would cause if it bit someone.  "Wormhole?"  The news almost did make her drop the insect, but Jamie held tight and turned to the department head.  "That's fascinating."  Jamie gave her a lopsided grin and showed the other woman the ant.  "Paraponera Clavata."  She informed the scientist with a wiggle of her slanted but well manicured eyebrows.

Jamie shrugged at the other woman's slight discomfort.  It was unusual to find a medical doctor in the scientists domain, but Jamie was altogether uncommon anyway.  "Well I can't keep them in sickbay!"  She responded and pouted, "I tried and got yelled at."  The Vulcan concluded with a sheepish grin.  "Anyway, this little sucker is used by the indigenous tribes of the Amazon as a staple to close open wounds.  So my idea is this, why not build nanites that can do the same job but inside the body.  It would help in combat situations when we can't get the wounded to a surgery theatre right away.  What do you think?  Do you have someone that could help me with this project?"

Jamie paused for a moment, "Radiation poisoning?"  Her eyebrow popped up in typical Vulcan fashion, now that was indeed, fascinating.

Botany Labs

"Now that is interesting!" Ruth murmured.  "I like the idea, I really do!" she said enthusiastically.  This Vulcan before her was a fascinating specimen of womanhood, she thought maybe not wholly Vulcan but a hybrid since she wasn't as staid as most Vulcans which Ruth had encountered.

"However, fascinated as I am, botany is totally not my subject.  I come down here for a sense of peace and I'm not at all surprised that Ilan...ah Lt. Tellek wasn't too happy with the idea of having them in the Sickbay!"

She pondered and then hit her commbadge =/\=Lt. Sigurdsdottir to Petty Officer Hughes, please report to Botany immediately. Sigurdsdottir out! =/\=

Turning to the young woman she said "I hope you don't have a problem with Klingons, but he's my best offer, and if anyone is going to help you it's Raynor!  I think we're all going to be working pretty closely for the next few weeks.  You on your ant project, and all of us on this wormhole.  Please, keep me updated on this because I really am fascinated.  Even though it's not my field of Science and I wouldn't have a clue where to get started, doesn't mean I can't be interested.  You don't need to be able to play an instrument to appreciate music do you!"

She giggled slightly at the young woman's reaction to the radiation poisoning.  "Yeah... it seems from the scraps of information we've got through so far about this wormhole is that it's chucking out loads of radiation and so, call me morbid but I thought this might be a good time to study radiation poisoning.  And well I hear that the data is rather interesting when it comes to medical fields too.  Perhaps both you and the CMO would like to work with us on this?"

Raynor Hughes

Quote from: Ruth Sigurdsdottir on June 01, 2016, 03:44:22 PM

=/\=Lt. Sigurdsdottir to Petty Officer Hughes, please report to Botany immediately. Sigurdsdottir out! =/\=

[Botany Labs]

Raynor had already been on his way down to the labs when the hail came in.  He cocked an upswept eyebrow at the slight urgency in the Lieutenant's tone.  He knew that the woman was the CSO, but he'd not had much of a chance to speak to her, yet.  He did know the name 'Sigurdsdotter' came from a region of Earth with a long, storied history of producing doughty warrior stock, so...maybe there was hope for her.

The bay doors slid open and Raynor strode in, his long legs quickly eating ground as not one but two other officers came into view...the both of them seeming to be meddling in his plants!  The Klingon felt a grouchy rumble begin to build in the back of his throat as he stormed over, ready to give the rough side of his tongue (which, being Klingon, was pretty much every side), but his attention was caught by an ant looking large enough to be native to Qo'noS.

"Hughes, reporting," he said, striding right up to Lieutenant Sigurdsdotter in his direct Klingon manner.  "What did you want, and what have you touched?" 

Klingon/Terran hybrid.  For full bio, just click the ridges.
To look into the eyes of the wolf is to see your own soul. - old Earth proverb

Jamie McConnell

Botany Labs

"Now that is interesting!" Ruth murmured.  "I like the idea, I really do!" she said enthusiastically.  This Vulcan before her was a fascinating specimen of womanhood, she thought maybe not wholly Vulcan but a hybrid since she wasn't as staid as most Vulcans which Ruth had encountered.

"However, fascinated as I am, botany is totally not my subject.  I come down here for a sense of peace and I'm not at all surprised that Ilan...ah Lt. Tellek wasn't too happy with the idea of having them in the Sickbay!" 

[Botany Lab]

Jamie grinned proudly as the DH declared her like of her idea but then faltered slightly, "But it has nothing to do with Botany."  She responded and was about to explain that nanite technology was more of a robotic science, and actually quite new, but the redhaired female was on another tangent leaving Jamie to ponder on things.  At the mention of Dr. Tellek she lost not only lost her smile but her appetite.

She pondered and then hit her commbadge =/\=Lt. Sigurdsdottir to Petty Officer Hughes, please report to Botany immediately. Sigurdsdottir out! =/\=

Turning to the young woman she said "I hope you don't have a problem with Klingons, but he's my best offer, and if anyone is going to help you it's Raynor!  I think we're all going to be working pretty closely for the next few weeks.  You on your ant project, and all of us on this wormhole.  Please, keep me updated on this because I really am fascinated.  Even though it's not my field of Science and I wouldn't have a clue where to get started, doesn't mean I can't be interested.  You don't need to be able to play an instrument to appreciate music do you!"

Again, Jamie opened her mouth to respond and again she was cut short by the woman's enthusiasm.  Although she had no problems with Klingons, some of her friends were Klingons, they were a fun people, she was about to repeat that she had no need for a Botanist.  And anyway, ants were entomology, not botany.

She giggled slightly at the young woman's reaction to the radiation poisoning.  "Yeah... it seems from the scraps of information we've got through so far about this wormhole is that it's chucking out loads of radiation and so, call me morbid but I thought this might be a good time to study radiation poisoning.  And well I hear that the data is rather interesting when it comes to medical fields too.  Perhaps both you and the CMO would like to work with us on this?"

Jamie held out a hand to get a word in edgewise, "What Dr. Telleck does is her own business."  She smiled warmly at the other woman, "But I would me more than happy to help you out.  You don't come across many opportunities to study natural radiation poisoning.  Being that we tend to stay away from such things."  She joined Ruth's giggle with her own throaty chuckle just when the Klingon arrived.  Jamie's green eyes were instantly cast upward as were the edges of her lips.  "Helloooooo nurse."
Quote from: Raynor Hughes on June 01, 2016, 04:21:12 PM

[Botany Labs]

Raynor had already been on his way down to the labs when the hail came in.  He cocked an upswept eyebrow at the slight urgency in the Lieutenant's tone.  He knew that the woman was the CSO, but he'd not had much of a chance to speak to her, yet.  He did know the name 'Sigurdsdotter' came from a region of Earth with a long, storied history of producing doughty warrior stock, so...maybe there was hope for her.

The bay doors slid open and Raynor strode in, his long legs quickly eating ground as not one but two other officers came into view...the both of them seeming to be meddling in his plants!  The Klingon felt a grouchy rumble begin to build in the back of his throat as he stormed over, ready to give the rough side of his tongue (which, being Klingon, was pretty much every side), but his attention was caught by an ant looking large enough to be native to Qo'noS.

"Hughes, reporting," he said, striding right up to Lieutenant Sigurdsdotter in his direct Klingon manner.  "What did you want, and what have you touched?"

Jamie quickly put the ant back and tucked away her pincers.  "Actually, I didn't touch your plants!"  She responded just as gruffly, knowing that Klingons didn't care much for pleasant manners when bold facts would work just as well.  "I was working with these."  She motioned to the ant farm held firmly in its plexiglass compound.  The Vulcan hybrid crossed her arms and grinned, but allowed his department head to take it from there.   After all, it would give her some time to study this botanist.

Human/Vulcan Hybrid

Ruth Sigurdsdottir

Quote from: Raynor Hughes on June 01, 2016, 04:21:12 PM

[Botany Labs]

Botany

"Relax Hughes, as yet I've touched nothing bar the floor and Ms Shen's hand when I shook it!"  she well knew how protective the Klingon was of his plants.  She smiled at him.

"Ensign Shen has a little project that she'd like us to help with, and I though you might be best to help with that since the ants are in here!  She'll be studying them closely to make... I imagine some kind of replica nanobots.  You may borrow Ensign Belmont if you need more hands on the job but I will need people working on the data from the wormhole too."

Quote from: Jamie Shen on June 01, 2016, 04:47:41 PM

[Botany Lab]

Jamie grinned proudly as the DH declared her like of her idea but then faltered slightly, "But it has nothing to do with Botany."  She responded and was about to explain that nanite technology was more of a robotic science, and actually quite new, but the redhaired female was on another tangent leaving Jamie to ponder on things.  At the mention of Dr. Tellek she lost not only lost her smile but her appetite.

Again, Jamie opened her mouth to respond and again she was cut short by the woman's enthusiasm.  Although she had no problems with Klingons, some of her friends were Klingons, they were a fun people, she was about to repeat that she had no need for a Botanist.  And anyway, ants were entomology, not botany.

Jamie held out a hand to get a word in edgewise, "What Dr. Telleck does is her own business."  She smiled warmly at the other woman, "But I would me more than happy to help you out.  You don't come across many opportunities to study natural radiation poisoning.  Being that we tend to stay away from such things."  She joined Ruth's giggle with her own throaty chuckle just when the Klingon arrived.  Jamie's green eyes were instantly cast upward as were the edges of her lips.  "Helloooooo nurse."

Jamie quickly put the ant back and tucked away her pincers.  "Actually, I didn't touch your plants!"  She responded just as gruffly, knowing that Klingons didn't care much for pleasant manners when bold facts would work just as well.  "I was working with these."  She motioned to the ant farm held firmly in its plexiglass compound.  The Vulcan hybrid crossed her arms and grinned, but allowed his department head to take it from there.   After all, it would give her some time to study this botanist.

The corners of Ruth's mouth twitched upwards at Shen's treatment of Petty Officer Hughes.  'Yes, this one will work well with Raynor even if she does fancy him, but that's pretty normal... most red, or green, bloody females fancied the big Klingon!' Even she herself wasn't totally immune although she was more used to it since he was one of her staff, albeit she'd just transferred to the Athena.

"Right so, Ensign Shen... fill us in.  What exactly do you need of the Science Department and I'll then leave you to it, I need to catch up with Ensign Belmont and prepare things for the data influx we are going to have shortly!"

Raynor Hughes

Quote from: Jamie Shen

[Botany]

Raynor blinked, looking from one to the other.  The two women seemed to be sharing their own private joke.  "Osteopath, not nurse," he said, flashing a quick and feral grin to the Vulcanoid.  Now that he saw that she wasn't blundering around and through his plants, Raynor found his mood toward her somewhat lightened.  "Earth degree's even hanging on my wall, right next to a mek'leth.  But I can serve as a nurse in a pinch.  I can even sew myself up."

Quote from: Ruth Sigurdsdottir on June 01, 2016, 05:10:33 PM

"Relax Hughes, as yet I've touched nothing bar the floor and Ms Shen's hand when I shook it!"  she well knew how protective the Klingon was of his plants.  She smiled at him.

"Ensign Shen has a little project that she'd like us to help with, and I though you might be best to help with that since the ants are in here!  She'll be studying them closely to make... I imagine some kind of replica nanobots.  You may borrow Ensign Belmont if you need more hands on the job but I will need people working on the data from the wormhole too."

"Right so, Ensign Shen... fill us in.  What exactly do you need of the Science Department and I'll then leave you to it, I need to catch up with Ensign Belmont and prepare things for the data influx we are going to have shortly!"

Eyebrow cocked, Raynor crossed his arms over his broad chest, listening with interest as Ruth somehow connected the ants to whatever kind of project she had in mind.  "Just so long as one doesn't get loose in my leaves.  Bastard's got a hell of a jaw to him.  Looks like they could tear through...succulent matter without any trouble."

Klingon/Terran hybrid.  For full bio, just click the ridges.
To look into the eyes of the wolf is to see your own soul. - old Earth proverb

Jamie McConnell

Quote from: Ruth Sigurdsdottir on June 01, 2016, 05:10:33 PM

Botany

"Ensign Shen has a little project that she'd like us to help with, and I thought you might be best to help with that since the ants are in here!  She'll be studying them closely to make... I imagine some kind of replica nanobots.  You may borrow Ensign Belmont if you need more hands on the job but I will need people working on the data from the wormhole too."

The corners of Ruth's mouth twitched upwards at Shen's treatment of Petty Officer Hughes.  'Yes, this one will work well with Raynor even if she does fancy him, but that's pretty normal... most red, or green, bloody females fancied the big Klingon!' Even she herself wasn't totally immune although she was more used to it since he was one of her staff, albeit she'd just transferred to the Athena.

Quote from: Raynor Hughes on June 01, 2016, 05:56:51 PM

[Botany]

Raynor blinked, looking from one to the other.  The two women seemed to be sharing their own private joke.  "Osteopath, not nurse," he said, flashing a quick and feral grin to the Vulcanoid.  Now that he saw that she wasn't blundering around and through his plants, Raynor found his mood toward her somewhat lightened.  "Earth degrees even hanging on my wall, right next to a mek'leth.  But I can serve as a nurse in a pinch.  I can even sew myself up."

Eyebrow cocked, Raynor crossed his arms over his broad chest, listening with interest as Ruth somehow connected the ants to whatever kind of project she had in mind.  "Just so long as one doesn't get loose in my leaves.  Bastard's got a hell of a jaw to him.  Looks like they could tear through...succulent matter without any trouble."

[Botany Lab]

Jamie's eyebrow was still cocked as she studied the big Klingon with a very human smile on her face.  Her arms remained crossed but not so much defensively as just a place to keep her hands.  What to do with one's hands was never really a study, though, if her father had his way she'd keep her hands at her side and ready for anything or placed in a more traditional Vulcan pensive way with index fingers and thumbs touching their counterparts.  Jamie was not that type of Vulcan.

She nodded at Raynor's specialization and threw his degree a glance, "Nice. And actually,"  Jamie turned to Ruth, "I was about to say, I have a degree in Botany, though my specialization is in Earth's Flora, and in Entomology, again Earth Fauna."  Her green orbs turned and flickered on Raynor, "I really don't need a Botanist, I need a robotics specialist with knowledge in micro construction.  Perhaps an engineer even?"

Her hands went to her slim hips, "I'm not really sure how Dr. Hughes could be of help, projectwise."  Again her eyebrow flared up, it came natural with the set of Vulcan pointy brows and ears.  She smiled thinking, Á¢â,¬ËœNo, not project wise at least.'

"I would go through the personnel files but there is a lot I can't view with my clearance.  What is Dr. Belmont's field of study?"  Jamie turned back to the Science head and grinned, "Do you have someone in engineering that may want to help?  But you're right, let me explain first."  She quickly summarized, "My idea is using the design of the bullet ant's mandibles in the form of nanites to infiltrate the body and close open wounds on arteries or organ walls in order to stop internal bleeding, at least until the patient can be received in a Sickbay and get proper surgery.   This will be more of a combat, field and away mission type of medicine and my personal favorite."  She turned to the Klingon and grinned, "I prefer to work under pressure and terror screaming in my ears."

Human/Vulcan Hybrid

Ruth Sigurdsdottir

Quote from: Raynor Hughes on June 01, 2016, 05:56:51 PM

[Botany]

Raynor blinked, looking from one to the other.  The two women seemed to be sharing their own private joke.  "Osteopath, not nurse," he said, flashing a quick and feral grin to the Vulcanoid.  Now that he saw that she wasn't blundering around and through his plants, Raynor found his mood toward her somewhat lightened.  "Earth degree's even hanging on my wall, right next to a mek'leth.  But I can serve as a nurse in a pinch.  I can even sew myself up."

Botany

"I'm sure you'll find a way of keeping anything under control!" Ruth laughed.

Quote from: Jamie Shen on June 01, 2016, 06:22:48 PM

[Botany Lab]

Jamie's eyebrow was still cocked as she studied the big Klingon with a very human smile on her face.  Her arms remained crossed but not so much defensively as just a place to keep her hands.  What to do with one's hands was never really a study, though, if her father had his way she'd keep her hands at her side and ready for anything or placed in a more traditional Vulcan pensive way with index fingers and thumbs touching their counterparts.  Jamie was not that type of Vulcan.

She nodded at Raynor's specialization and threw his degree a glance, "Nice. And actually,"  Jamie turned to Ruth, "I was about to say, I have a degree in Botany, though my specialization is in Earth's Flora, and in Entomology, again Earth Fauna."  Her green orbs turned and flickered on Raynor, "I really don't need a Botanist, I need a robotics specialist with knowledge in micro construction.  Perhaps an engineer even?"

Her hands went to her slim hips, "I'm not really sure how Dr. Hughes could be of help, projectwise."  Again her eyebrow flared up, it came natural with the set of Vulcan pointy brows and ears.  She smiled thinking, Á¢â,¬ËœNo, not project wise at least.'

"I would go through the personnel files but there is a lot I can't view with my clearance.  What is Dr. Belmont's field of study?"  Jamie turned back to the Science head and grinned, "Do you have someone in engineering that may want to help?  But you're right, let me explain first."  She quickly summarized, "My idea is using the design of the bullet ant's mandibles in the form of nanites to infiltrate the body and close open wounds on arteries or organ walls in order to stop internal bleeding, at least until the patient can be received in a Sickbay and get proper surgery.   This will be more of a combat, field and away mission type of medicine and my personal favorite."  She turned to the Klingon and grinned, "I prefer to work under pressure and terror screaming in my ears."

"As for Ensign Shen... since you're practically a scientist not a medic... I mean that in the nicest way, feel free, so long as you aren't touching Raynor's leaves of course..." she shot a look to the Petty Officer with a grin, "... to make use of anything you need down here.  And to Ms Belmont's speciality I haven't a clue yet as I've just come on board myself, I need to review the personnel files.  The cadets, however, 'warned' if that is the word that Mr Hughes here was very protective of his plants.  Upon further probing I was told that he was Klingon and not many crossed him regardless of rank especially when it came to Botany.  So I was ready for him so to speak!"

She gave them both a smile.  "I'm not sure about robotics, and you're probably right that an engineer would be useful. I served with an Ensign Torngate over on the Discovery and he transferred with me.  Perhaps he would be able to help us, he's in Engineering.  I really must dash, I'll let you two discuss things, let me know if you'd like me to get hold of Torngate and I'll request that he come down.  I'll be in my office if either of you need me, but please... keep me abreast of progress on this one!"

P-Way/CSOs Office
She quickly crossed to the PWay and walked down to her office.  Upon getting there she tapped her commbadge and flopped into the chair.  =/\=Sigurdsdottir to Belmont please report to the CSOs office as soon as possible please.  Sigurdsdottir out=/\=

She moved over to the replicator and ordered herself a Ratkajino sat back in the chair and pulled up the personnel files on her PADD for Lisa or Vasilisa Belmont.  "Hmmm....'Biological Science'... Maybe I was right to recommend Mr Torngate too!" she said to the room at large."

🡱 🡳

RPG-D Sci-Fi Avatars RPG Initiative RPGfix RPG Initiative Fodlan Chronicles

Star Trek and all related marks, logos and characters are solely owned by CBS Studios Inc. This fan production is not endorsed by, sponsored by, nor affiliated with CBS, Paramount Pictures, or any other Star Trek franchise, and is a non-commercial fan-made production intended for recreational use. No commercial exhibition or distribution is permitted. No alleged independent rights will be asserted against CBS or Paramount Pictures.