9/11: Ten Years Later

Started by kawolsky, September 10, 2011, 08:46:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

kawolsky

9/11: Ten Years Later
"The Pearl Harbor of the 21st century took place today...We think it's Osama bin Laden."
- US President George W. Bush, September 11th, 2001.
Ten years ago today, a terrible and shocking event occurred that rocked the entire world. On the morning of September 11th, 2001,  the terrorist group known as "al-Qaeda" hijacked four commercial airliners in the north-east of the United States, bound for destinations in California. At approximately 8:46am local time, the first of those airliners was flown directly into the north tower of the World Trade Center in New York City, sparking a terrifying chain of events that would come to be known as "9/11."
Over the course of the next hour, another aircraft would be flown into the south tower, followed by an attack on the Pentagon. A fourth aircraft would crash near Shanksville, Pennsylvania, after a passenger uprising.

But the chaos and destruction didn't end there.

At approximately 9:59am, the north tower succumbed to the structural damage caused by the crash and collapsed, sending dirt, dust and debris hurtling toward the busy city streets, killing 2,606 people. Just 46 minutes later, the south tower followed suit.

All in all, across what was a very short period of time, nearly 3,000 people from more than 90 countries lost their lives in this tragic event. Many more were left with scars - both emotional and physical - that will last them their entire lives.

Shadow Fleet would like to encourage you all to take a moment to think about one of the most significant events of the past decade, and remember those who not only lost their lives as a result, but the brave men and women - firefighters and police, doctors and nurses, passengers and flight attendants - who put themselves on the line to help search for survivors, heal the sick and resist the hijackers.

Please take one minute out of your day in remembrance of all those people affected by 9/11 and the subsequent conflicts that have arisen, and pray that something like it will never happen again.

Related links:
Shadow Fleet is not responsible for the content of external websites.

[attachment deleted by admin]

Riley T. Munro

Ten years, my God has it been that long. It seems like only yesterday that I was walking to school with me small handheld radio in my hand listening to the weather and traffic of Sin City. It was a day like any other, walk to the bus stop, sit on the bus while the other kids noise is a dull drone. But this all of a sudden would not be a normal day. Emergency broadcast radio came on and said that New York had been attacked by terrorists in commercial airplanes.

There is not much I can say other than I was angry, and scared. What could a girl of 13 do? Nothing. Which is what I did. There is not a day that goes by I don't wish that weren't true.

Seth Sinclaire

I'm not gonna unveil my true feelings sinc eI respect your rights to feel as you wish. However I do ask why we don't remember the 7/7 bombings or the Russian Metro bombings so strongly considering they're part of the exact same context.

Kale Bridges

Quote from: Seth Sinclaire on September 11, 2011, 08:07:34 AM

I'm not gonna unveil my true feelings sinc eI respect your rights to feel as you wish. However I do ask why we don't remember the 7/7 bombings or the Russian Metro bombings so strongly considering they're part of the exact same context.

Because the death toll of those two weren't 3000+.

Tragedies aren't remembered because of the context they happened in.... they're remembered by how many digits were on the death toll.

Formerly Reece Thompson
PokemonGo - TEAM MYSTIC

Seth Sinclaire

Quote from: Reece Thompson on September 11, 2011, 09:06:33 AM

Tragedies aren't remembered because of the context they happened in.... they're remembered by how many digits were on the death toll.

In that case, why do we not mourn the Crusades? Or SARS? Or the Ah Lushan Rebellion?

But as I said, this is not the day for me to post such things. There is my point and my indifference, but if we're going to obsess over this, why not every other event ever in history?

Taras Cadenza

Those towers of light that were made at the site were a wonderful tribute to the people that passed away. It had a very positive message.

http://news.bbcimg.co.uk/media/images/55292000/jpg/_55292792_012871892-1.jpg

R.I.P. To all the victims...

Shelaf Greegy

Quote from: Reece Thompson on September 11, 2011, 09:06:33 AM

Really? Thats a horrible point of view to take. Thats basically saying the deaths of 300 people are less tragic than the deaths of 3000+ people. I mean, yeah, more people died, but what makes their death more important than the others?

Seth Sinclaire

Quote from: Shelaf Greegy on September 11, 2011, 01:56:36 PM

Really? Thats a horrible point of view to take. Thats basically saying the deaths of 300 people are less tragic than the deaths of 3000+ people. I mean, yeah, more people died, but what makes their death more important than the others?

To the media? Yes. Especially when they're mostly Americans.

Kale Bridges

Quote from: Shelaf Greegy on September 11, 2011, 01:56:36 PM

Well... it is. There deaths aren't more important... I never said they were... simply there were more.

So, if you have a different view point, please tell me. Which is more tragic?

The death of 6 million jews, or the death of one british citizen?

And don't try the...
"That's a whole different scenario".... because it's not.

Of course, the death of 6 million jews are... not because their jews... because there were 6 MILLION of them, compared to the ONE citizen.

9/11 is more tragic and will be remembered longer because more people died in it.

That's not just MY view point... that's FACT!

Formerly Reece Thompson
PokemonGo - TEAM MYSTIC

Shelaf Greegy

Quote from: Reece Thompson on September 11, 2011, 02:46:44 PM

Well... it is. There deaths aren't more important... I never said they were... simply there were more.

So, if you have a different view point, please tell me. Which is more tragic?

The death of 6 million jews, or the death of one british citizen?

And don't try the...
"That's a whole different scenario".... because it's not.

Of course, the death of 6 million jews are... not because their jews... because there were 6 MILLION of them, compared to the ONE citizen.

9/11 is more tragic and will be remembered longer because more people died in it.

That's not just MY view point... that's FACT!

It is a whole different scenario, but if you like, i'll answer it.

The fault of your scenario is that you say which is the more tragic. What i'm trying to say is that they are equally tragic, for different reasons. Any loss of life should be mourned, whether 6 million or 1, but the circumstances change and thats what matters. For instance, if the 6 million died in a plague, yet the one person was brutally murdered. Wouldn't they both be equally tragic, one as a symbol of human susceptibilty to disease and the other as a symbol of the things human beings would do to each other.

Your argument here is really rather similiar to the one you had in the death penalty thread: that some lives are worth more than others, thats what it esencially boils down to, and I say thats wrong. The deaths of hundreds and the deaths of one are equally tragic because either way PEOPLE HAVE DIED.

Kale Bridges

Quote from: Reece Thompson on September 11, 2011, 02:46:44 PM

There deaths aren't more important... I never said they were... simply there were more.

Formerly Reece Thompson
PokemonGo - TEAM MYSTIC

Riley T. Munro

Quote from: Seth Sinclaire on September 11, 2011, 02:43:38 PM

To the media? Yes. Especially when they're mostly Americans.

Pardon my strong personal opinion regarding this topic, but I just happen to be one of those "Americans". I hate to break it to you but you do post in a fleet with several Americans... I know it's so horrible, with us being ignorant and just plain dumb. Please excuse my unwarrented sarcasm but this is a topic which hits rather close to him. Only about 2000 miles from my home, but still close. What happened on 9/11 ten years ago is not something to be debated politically or ethically. How is it hard to understand that a lot of people died that day? More than have died in a single event outside of war in a very long time. Is there any reason to be dismissing this because you think that there are other similar events in which need out attention and memorial time?

I do not wish to speak for him, but I am sure that if you felt the need to memorialize the "crusades" or "holocaust", that you could very easily email Kawolsky to have it added to the calendar. I am sorry that 6 million Jews died, I really am, and every year I reflect on the tragedy that is was. I've been to a concentration camp, seen the horror, been to several sights that give honor and a proper memorial to these lost lives. How hard is it for you, for one day, bow your head and say, I am sorry that so many people died this day? Is that so hard? Or is it just easier to find excuses at to why this event would not hold as much weight as any other loss of life. The numbers do not matter. It was never a matter of that. It is about people who did not need to die.

The 7/7 bombings were horrible as well as the Russian Metros, but today is 9/11... So excuse my rudeness when I say, as an American, this is the day we remember all those lost here at 3 different sites. So honestly I couldn't really care less what you think we should be doing, in the scheme of my day, I am hardly thinking of your opinion.

Lee Armstrong

I think personally that 9/11 resonates with a lot of us in the western world, especially our american friends. Previously America was untouchable, I think I'm right in saying no enemy since the British have attacked them on there own land. This broke through the invincible feeling much like the attack on pearl harbour did sixty years previously.

Also, there's no denying, 9/11 has changed the western world. Period. There is no going back to the way it was. It's possibly the most important moment of this century. No longer did Westerners feel 100% safe in there own country. It took away our feeling of security, replacing it with fear and doubt, as well as anger and resentment. That is why it is so important. An abhorrent loss of life, which changed us all. 

Seth Sinclaire

Quote from: Riley T. Munro on September 11, 2011, 06:53:28 PM

Pardon my strong personal opinion regarding this topic, but I just happen to be one of those "Americans". I hate to break it to you but you do post in a fleet with several Americans... I know it's so horrible, with us being ignorant and just plain dumb. Please excuse my unwarrented sarcasm but this is a topic which hits rather close to him. Only about 2000 miles from my home, but still close. What happened on 9/11 ten years ago is not something to be debated politically or ethically. How is it hard to understand that a lot of people died that day? More than have died in a single event outside of war in a very long time. Is there any reason to be dismissing this because you think that there are other similar events in which need out attention and memorial time?

I do not wish to speak for him, but I am sure that if you felt the need to memorialize the "crusades" or "holocaust", that you could very easily email Kawolsky to have it added to the calendar. I am sorry that 6 million Jews died, I really am, and every year I reflect on the tragedy that is was. I've been to a concentration camp, seen the horror, been to several sights that give honor and a proper memorial to these lost lives. How hard is it for you, for one day, bow your head and say, I am sorry that so many people died this day? Is that so hard? Or is it just easier to find excuses at to why this event would not hold as much weight as any other loss of life. The numbers do not matter. It was never a matter of that. It is about people who did not need to die.

The 7/7 bombings were horrible as well as the Russian Metros, but today is 9/11... So excuse my rudeness when I say, as an American, this is the day we remember all those lost here at 3 different sites. So honestly I couldn't really care less what you think we should be doing, in the scheme of my day, I am hardly thinking of your opinion.

I think you'll find at no point was I making any form of comment on Americans, derogatory or otherwise. My comment was reffering to global and usually American-controlled media. And yes, considering ten years later and it's still taking up 7 pages of the daily newspaper when there are alot more important events CURRENTLY HAPPENING. I am not denying the tragedy or sadness of the event, especially for those who's families were involved and no one has the right to criticse their mourning. But as it stands, it's simply a propaganda tool.

"West good. Middle East bad." And if we are forced to remember 9/11 so strongly why not the 1.5 million who died in the war as a response to the attack? And again, my point about the crusades and holocaust were relative points, not literal ones. Not comments about remembering it HERE, but comments about the media being so absolutely obsessed with it. So if you want to remember the people who did not need to die, go ahead. But if you do not include the 1.5 million civilians from Iraq then is it not equally offensive to them that you are not doing so in thier name?

@Lee, they had a few wars with Mexico leading up to WW1, but since then nothing aside from WW2 and then 9/11 I believe.

Kale Bridges

I'm really sorry Riley... but I have to agree with that.

America does seem to milk it's tragedies for as long as possible.

Pretty much every country has had some sort of tragedy or problem... but they mourn it for a while, then move on.

But I do agree with, if you mourn 9/11... you then have to mourn the following years to Osama's death (Not sure how long was between the two events), and all the deaths there... be it American/British soldier or Iraqi citizen.

(I'll admit, you don't have to mourn the Iraqi fighter deaths... they were just stupid for what they fought for, but the Civilians did nothing wrong.. and many of them still died.)

Formerly Reece Thompson
PokemonGo - TEAM MYSTIC

🡱 🡳

RPG-D Sci-Fi Avatars RPG Initiative RPGfix RPG Initiative Fodlan Chronicles

Star Trek and all related marks, logos and characters are solely owned by CBS Studios Inc. This fan production is not endorsed by, sponsored by, nor affiliated with CBS, Paramount Pictures, or any other Star Trek franchise, and is a non-commercial fan-made film intended for recreational use. No commercial exhibition or distribution is permitted. No alleged independent rights will be asserted against CBS or Paramount Pictures.