Author Topic: Star Trek: A Celebration of 45 Years  (Read 3092 times)

kawolsky

Star Trek: A Celebration of 45 Years
« on: September 08, 2011, 06:30:03 am »

Exactly 45 years ago to the day, a new television series graced the television sets of America, a television series like no other seen before it. Star Trek - originally titled Wagon Train to the Stars - sent viewers to places they had never seen before, witnessed alien species unimaginable at the time, using technology they could only dream of. Star Trek was different. It was radical. It was Gene Roddenberry's vision of the future.

But on September 6th, 1966, Star Trek was just another new show. It didn't have a massive fanbase, the ratings weren't that great and none of the cast were well known actors. In fact, things were very different to how they are now and the show was cancelled after three seasons.

However, upon the announcement of its cancellation, the few fans of the show there were bound together and showed their loyalty to Star Trek by writing letters upon letters to NBC, something unheard of at the time. That small but dedicated group of fans did the impossible. They brought a television show back from cancellation for another season.

Though Star Trek got its fourth season, it was again cancelled due to low ratings. But the story doesn't end there. The series was put into syndication through the 1970s giving millions more people the opportunity to see this wonderful new show. And from there, the Star Trek franchise kicked off with a bang.

Today, the Star Trek franchise consists of a magnificent six television series, eleven feature films, dozens of games, hundreds of novels, as well as a themed attraction in Las Vegas (opened in 1998 and closed in September 2008), and at least two traveling museum exhibits of props.

Join us now as we celebrate together what Star Trek is and what it means to us as a fleet.

What Star Trek means to...Riley T. Munro

Growing up most children watched Power RangersStar Trek. Wrath of Khan to be exact. That was the beginning. After that we started taping the original series every night, it came on right after Little House On The Prairie on WGN. I was in a gymnastic class at the time, my mom would take me two times a week and as soon as we got home, I'd run into the living room to watch my taped episode. I ended up quitting gymnastics because it was cutting into my Star Trek time. After that, well, you all know me...  Just figured I'd share some of my Star Trek life.

In 1993, I insisted I wanted to be Spock for Halloween...A signed photo of my favorite Star Trek character, sent to me from my Aunt.A letter reply from Walter Koenig after I wrote to him in the hospital.My ticket to the experience, I miss it.

What Star Trek means to...Taras Cadenza

This is me and my dear friend Abigail. We've been fans of Star Trek in all of its incarnations for many, many years, and I would say it has made an impact on both of our lives, in such small ways, such as using the Vulcan hand gesture as a greeting, and in major ways, such as our personal beliefs when it comes to people and socializing.It has to be said, that picture is my absolute dream. I can certainly only hope that the future as depicted by Star Trek, for better or for worse, becomes reality. :)

What Star Trek means to...John Kawolsky

Star Trek was the show that got me into science fiction as a whole. It opened my eyes to the possibilities of the future and what is waiting for us out there in space. I've never been one to dress up in a uniform and go to conventions (we don't generally have a lot of them here in the UK), but Star Trek does hold a special place in my thoughts. I share Gene Roddenberry's vision of a world where everyone is equal, where there is no famine or cruelty or illness. That is a world I want to live in. Whenever I watch an episode or movie of Star Trek, its not just entertainment for me, but the hopes that we, as a race - as a planet - could join together as one peaceful species. Then the episode is over and I'm brought back to reality. But I can't help but think...what will the future be like? Only time will tell, I guess.

Star Trek means something different to each and every one of us. Join us in our celebration of 45 years by commenting below with your best and worst episodes, character moments, ships, technology, storylines...anything at all! Let us show our support and celebration for what has been a tremendous four and a half decades of space exploration.

And if you didn't submit anything for official collation above, I have just one question for you: what does Star Trek mean to you?
« Last Edit: September 08, 2011, 10:18:24 am by John Kawolsky »

John Brown

Re: Star Trek: A Celebration of 45 Years
« Reply #1 on: September 10, 2011, 04:23:15 pm »
"Startrek, is a Show that has a long of meaning to me.I starting watching Startrek when I was really young about 3 and I still watch it to this day.it was the weekly even of me and my Dad just him and me watching somthing together.We saw from TOS to Voyager, he perfered Next gen maybe he just loved the Enterprise.But when I was young 17 the age whem now pepole of this fleet are I lost my father to cancer my best friend and the person I watch star trek with.then 8 months after his death i found my first RPG it was Expanstion Fleet I posted there for awile was an Admiral and I met Chris there and Hope and the evil David with the Kights. then Shadowfleet was formed it was 5 years ago tf 10 and gamma fleet I thing combinded and it was fun then a young man come to the fleet and was the tatical officer, I was the XO of the flag ship and this young man posting all the time and he was JK I still remember when he joined I seen the ups and downs of Shadowfleet and Star trek it has made a prefound impact on my life
« Last Edit: September 10, 2011, 05:02:49 pm by John Brown »

Offline John Terry

• Suspended Account
  • Probationer
  • Sec/Tac officer, U.S.S Discovery
  • Awarded to players on completion of 10 years service with the fleet. Awarded in January 2012 to all active members.
    • View Profile
    • Awards
Re: Star Trek: A Celebration of 45 Years
« Reply #2 on: September 22, 2011, 10:01:49 am »
I've spoken to, probably hundreds of different people asking me what I like Star Trek so much.  They don't understand why I say "Star Trek is forever."  I say this, because of what has been seen in the many decades of the series, and films.  One of my thoughts, leads to the fact of Nichelle Nichols.  There was a lot of conflict when viewers saw a black woman on a television show, and it lead to Nichelle Nichols, almost deciding to quit the show.  One time, when Ms. Nichols was approached by Dr. Martin Luther King, she spoke to him about her decision.  Dr. King was greatly against this and wanted her to stay on because of her impact in the R.L. community. 

This is one of many such impacts Star Trek given us.  Even now, technologies are coming up in the military, and medical fronts that would have never been on the drawing board if it weren't for Star Trek. 

I believe that Star Trek is truly... forever.

RPG-D Sci-Fi Avatars RPG Initiative RPGfix RPG Initiative Fodlan Chronicles